Mushroom Warfare (OU Warstory)

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It's been a while since I've written a warstory so I decided why not? This isn't a tournament battle or anything interesting from the suspect ladder, it's just a plain old standard OU match against Kaito1412 which I greatly enjoyed. Here's hoping you do too.

EDIT: Think of it as a 1.5k post celebration thread x)

Legacy Raider's team:

Kaito1412's team at the end.

• Ladder Match
  • Sleep Clause
  • Freeze Clause
  • OHKO Clause
  • Evasion Clause
  • Species Clause
  • Strict Damage Clause

- Nicknames will be omitted.
- Extraneous information will be mentioned at first instance then omitted.
- Score will be presented after every KO (Legacy Raider - Kaito1412)
- Battle text will be in bold.
- My comments will be in blue.

Legacy Raider sent out Dragonite.
kaito1412 sent out Breloom.

vs

Anti-Lead Dragonite can effectively take on almost all other common leads, but Breloom isn't one of them. I prefer the power granted by Life Orb too much to run Lum Berry. I'm fairly certain that this opposing Breloom is scarfed, and will either go with the safe Spore, or will Stone Edge me, hoping for an early KO. Either way, ironic as it otherwise would be, my CursePert makes a perfect switchin here.

Legacy Raider switched in Swampert.
kaito1412 switched in Rotom-h.

vs

Swampert: 100%
Rotom-h: 100%

Turns out my opponent does neither, and we both end up making a first turn switch. Now defensive Rotom is usually a great matchup for CursePert and is nothing more than set up fodder, but I won't be staying in here for two reasons: firstly, there is little point in trying to set up with Swampert when I know he has a Breloom ready to blast me with Seed Bomb at a moment's notice, and secondly, this Rotom might not be defensive and may instead Trick a Scarf onto me. I have the bad habit of playing extremely conservatively at the beginning of battles, so, staying true to fashion, I'm going to go for the relatively risk-free switch to ScarfTran. Chances are Rotom will use one of Will-o-Wisp, Shadow Ball, or Trick, all which Heatran can handle.

---

Legacy Raider switched in Heatran.

Rotom-h used Trick.
Rotom-h obtained Choice Scarf!
Heatran obtained Choice Scarf!

vs

Heatran: 100%
Rotom-h: 100%

Sometimes going for the safest option does pay off. Kaito is forced to give me a free turn here, so I'll launch a Fire Blast at his team to scout the switch in.

---

kaito1412 switched in Blissey.

Heatran used Fire Blast.
Blissey lost 21% of its health.

Blissey's leftovers restored its health a little!
Blissey restored 6% of its health.

vs

Heatran: 100%
Blissey: 85%

Blissey... great. Blissey doesn't worry by team unduly, but it does mean Dragonite and Heatran won't be doing much sweeping at all until she is out of the way. I could go to my own Breloom here and set up, but conservative little me fears a Thunder Wave. Instead go to Bronzong. Blissey doesn't pose any offensive threat so this is a good time to get up my Stealth Rock, and if she does use Thunder Wave she'll just be powering up my Gyro Ball.

---

Legacy Raider switched in Bronzong.

Blissey used Stealth Rock.
Pointed stones float in the air around the foe's team!

vs

Bronzong: 100%
Blissey: 91%

So kaito is using the opportunity to do a bit of team supporting as well then. With Bronzong safely in, not only can I get my own rocks up, I also force Blissey on the offensive and will see what attacking moves she is running, letting me gauge how easy it will be getting Breloom in and out on her.

---

Blissey used Thunder Wave.
Bronzong is paralysed! It may be unable to move!
Bronzong is paralysed! It can't move!

Bronzong: 100% (paralyzed)
Blissey: 98%

Kaito decides to paralyze Bronzong after all, and I get an unlucky full paralysis. I guess he feels possibly getting some free turns against Bronzong is more advantageous to his team than the threat of a stronger Gyro Ball. However, notice the lack of Leftovers on my zong - I'm in fact running Macho Brace with Trick, so since I was hitting everything with a Speed stat of 192 or higher with a full power Gyro Ball anyway, paralysis holds very little benefit for me. I have Macho Brace for two reasons. If I can Trick it onto something like an opposing Heatran, it will make life for Breloom a lot easier. Also, with Macho Brace as my hold item, it means that Bronzong fears pretty much nothing from Latias, since even if she uses Trick she will come out the worse off.

---

Blissey used Seismic Toss.
Bronzong lost 30% of its health.
Bronzong used Stealth Rock.
Pointed stones float in the air around the foe's team!

Bronzong: 70% (paralyzed)
Blissey: 100%

So having been fully paralyzed the turn before, I stay in to ensure my rocks get up. Seismic Toss is encouraging because it means that Blissey probably doesn't have Flamethrower, something which Breloom can quickly take advantage of.

---

Legacy Raider switched in Breloom.
Pointed stones dug into Breloom.

Blissey used Seismic Toss.
Breloom lost 38% of its health.
Breloom was badly poisoned!

vs

Breloom: 56% (badly poisoned)
Blissey: 100%

With Breloom safely in, it's time to cause some chaos. I'm not running the common SubPuncher, but instead a very effective set popularized by husk - a faster Breloom with 3 offensive moves in addition to Spore. The logic behind its moveset of Superpower / Seed Bomb / Facade is that it doesn't waste any turns of Sleep by getting a sub up, but instead goes in straight for the kill on its counters. Celebi can be put to sleep and then 3HKOed with Facade, and Gyarados suffers a similar fate since Jolly Breloom fortuitously outspeeds Adamant Gyara by 1 point. It also means that it can save its Spore for real threats because of the coverage afforded by 3 attacking moves. I'm going to try and make the most of the surprise factor here and use Superpower off the bat - many players leave Blissey in using Seismic Toss to try and break a potential Sub, thinking that Breloom will have to get that up first before being able to hit Blissey super effectively. However, if kaito makes that assumption here, Superpower will ensure Blissey is out of the way for the rest of the match.

---

kaito1412 switched in Salamence.
Salamence's intimidate cut Breloom's attack!
Pointed stones dug into Salamence.

Breloom used Superpower.
It's not very effective...
Salamence lost 24% of its health.
Breloom's attack was lowered.
Breloom's defence was lowered.

Breloom's Poison Heal restored health!
Breloom restored 12% of its health.

vs

Breloom: 68% (-2 Atk, -1 Def; badly poisoned)
Salamence: 51%

Salamence comes in and takes the resisted hit, but the additional Stealth Rock damage means he is sitting just above half health now. I'm surprised kaito was willing to risk as potent an offensive threat as Salamence to what was highly likely to be a Spore, but never mind. Having seen the Bronzong and Swampert on my team already he probably assumed mence wouldn't be doing much sweeping and so would make a good sacrifice to the sleep. Anyway, at -2 Atk and -1 Def, Breloom is getting out as fast as it can. Bronzong will take the dragon on much better.

---

Pointed stones dug into Bronzong.

Salamence used Dragon Dance.
Salamence's attack was raised.
Salamence's speed was raised.

vs

Bronzong: 64% (paralyzed)
Salamence: 51% (+1 Atk, +1 Spe)

Salamence reveals itself to be the Dragon Dance variant. It's probably more threatening to my relatively slow team than MixMence, but Bronzong should hopefully be able to take it on here. I think about my move for quite a while now. Gyro Ball is the obvious and safe move, but I want to start gaining crucial offensive momentum as quickly as I can. If Salamence switches out, I can't really risk Gyro Balling into much else. So instead, I choose to Trick here and give away my Macho Brace. This will cripple almost any switchin if Salamence does go out, and if it doesn't, it will be slowed down enough to be picked off by Heatran. Bronzong's Gyro Ball doesn't lose out either since paralysis has his Speed down already.

---

Salamence used Fire Blast.
It's super effective!
Bronzong lost 47% of its health.
Bronzong used Trick.
Bronzong obtained Lum Berry!
Salamence obtained Macho Brace!

Bronzong: 17% (paralyzed)
Salamence: 51% (+1 Atk, +1 Spe; Macho Brace)

Zong takes a Fire Blast to the face but thankfully he isn't fully paralyzed this turn, and gets rid of his Macho Brace onto Salamence. And from the item Bronzong receives in return, it becomes apparent why kaito was so quick to bring mence into Breloom. Having received the Lum Berry, I'm a bit surprised it didn't activate at the end of the turn and cure my paralysis, but I'm guessing it doesn't work like that then. My next move is to go to Heatran, who should be able to take the impending Fire Blast or a non-LO Outrage with ease.

---

Pointed stones dug into Heatran.

Salamence used Fire Blast.
Heatran's Flash Fire raised its fire power!

vs

Heatran: 88% (Flash Fire)
Salamence: 51% (+1 Atk, +1 Spe; Macho Brace)

Heatran receives a welcome Flash Fire boost upon entry. This matchup puts kaito in a difficult situation. He has already revealed Blissey, so I might Explode off the bat, predicting her coming in. If he goes to Rotom predicting the Explosion, he risks being OHKOed by a boosted Fire Blast (which I very well might use since it will likely kill his 51% Salamence as well). In the end, I bank on my hunch that kaito will try and get me to overpredict, and so will leave his Macho Brace crippled Salamence in. Hidden Power Ice is the way to go.

---

Heatran used Hidden Power.
It's super effective!
Salamence lost 51% of its health.
kaito1412's Salamence fainted.

vs X

6-5

The super effective Hidden Power causes the first casualty of the match. Kaito's Salamence goes down, but I'm quite exposed to set up here. If he brings in something like Substitute Machamp, I will cry. The way this team is structured leaves an unfortunate vulnerability to most Fighting-types, so Machamp, who is normally is just a mild nuisance to face, becomes a nightmare when using this team.

---

Pointed stones dug into Rotom-h.

Rotom is definitely manageable. Bronzong has done excellently this match and his served his purpose, and now I'll make use of him as death fodder for the Thunderbolt.

Rotom-h used Trick.
Rotom-h obtained Lum Berry!
Bronzong obtained Choice Scarf!

vs

Bronzong: 10% (paralyzed)
Rotom-h: 88%

Kaito uses Trick instead, trading his Scarf for his late Salamence's Lum Berry. That's even better for me, since with no Scarf left to Trick, Rotom is now absolutely no threat to Swampert - I can save my valuable death fodder for later.

---

Pointed stones dug into Swampert.

Rotom-h used Thunderbolt.
It doesn't affect Swampert...

Swampert's leftovers restored its health a little!
Swampert restored 6% of its health.

vs

Swampert: 100%
Rotom-h: 88%

Swampert comes in on his immunity. I'm going to Waterfall off the bat here, just to get some damage on whatever. If Rotom tricks again and gives me Lum Berry, no biggie, just a free Rest for later on.

---

Rotom-h used Shadow Ball.
Swampert lost 22% of its health.
Swampert used Waterfall.
Rotom-h lost 33% of its health.

Swampert: 84%
Rotom-h: 55%

He sees that he won't be winning this matchup. Staying in to Shadow Ball would have been a good move against the standard MixPert, but won't fare as well against a set with over 200 SpD EVs. CursePert also has the advantage of being able to hit Rotom with a Water STAB attack off his higher physical Attack stat.

---

kaito1412 switched in Breloom.

Swampert used Waterfall.
Breloom lost 23% of its health.

vs

Swampert: 90%
Breloom: 71%

Realizing that Rotom won't win against Swampert, and that from the damage he dealt I have a CursePert and so can't threaten Breloom with Ice Beam, he goes back to his scarfed mushroom. This is why I was so happy when Rotom used Trick on Bronzong instead of Thunderbolt - it means I can use it as death fodder now and scout his Breloom's attack.

---

Breloom used Seed Bomb.
Bronzong lost 5% of its health.
Legacy Raider's Bronzong fainted.

X vs

5-5

Bronzong finally goes down and the score is evened. His Seed Bomb is an invite for Heatran to come in on the 4x resist.

---

However, having shown Heatran's (rather ugly) face, I won't be keeping him in. Blissey is coming in here almost guaranteed, so lets rack up some more SR damage against him and put something to sleep :).

Pointed stones dug into Blissey.

Legacy Raider switched in Breloom .

vs

Heatran: 75%
Breloom: 74% (badly poisoned)
Blissey: 94%

That worked out well, and now I think the time is right to use Breloom's signature move. Spore is such a broken move, almost guaranteeing to take an opposing Pokemon out of the match.

---

Breloom used Spore.
Rotom-h fell asleep!
Rotom-h's Lum Berry cured its Sleep!

vs

Breloom: 86% (badly poisoned)
Rotom-h: 43%

Ah... unless they have Lum, that is. I had totally forgotten that the hot potato Lum Berry had ended up on his Rotom. Great move there by kaito. I have half a mind to stay in and Spore again, as I would against any defensive Rotom. But since his was originally scarfed, chances are not only will it outspeed me, but it will also have enough SpA investment to take me out with Shadow Ball. Let's make the most of this excellent synergy between Rotom and Heatran and switch back.

---

Rotom-h used Thunderbolt.
Heatran lost 42% of its health.

vs

Heatran: 21%
Rotom-h: 43%

Kaito makes another great prediction and uses Thunderbolt, knowing that I'd be going back to Heatran. This changes my plans a bit. Heatran is at the point where he will only get one more switch into battle because of Stealth Rock. I probably won't get as good an opportunity as this again this match, so lets hope kaito thinks I'll Fire Blast to finally kill Rotom and makes a Blissey switch.

(otherwise I'll look quite silly)

---

Pointed stones dug into Blissey.

Heatran used Explosion.
Blissey lost 81% of its health.
kaito1412's Blissey fainted.
Legacy Raider's Heatran fainted.

X vs X

4-4

Excellent :). Blissey is down and out, so my forgotten Dragonite lead will now be able to Draco Meteor all it wants. Blind switch now. My opponent still has two unrevealed Pokemon, and he will likely go to one of them since I can't predict it. If it ends up being slower, Breloom can make up for his earlier Spore mishap in spectacular fashion.

---

kaito1412 switched in Heatran.

Oh, seems like kaito enjoys the synergy between Heatran and Breloom too. His heatran fire monster, my breloom mushroom monster.... bad. Luckily my unrevealed Vaporeon is a good answer for it.

Legacy Raider switched in Vaporeon.
Pointed stones dug into Vaporeon.

Heatran used Explosion.
Vaporeon lost 77% of its health.
kaito1412's Heatran fainted.

Vaporeon's leftovers restored its health a little!
Vaporeon restored 6% of its health.

vs X

Vaporeon: 17%

4-3

Wow... it's like we're in a Heatran minefield. Vaporeon the so-called counter is rendered pretty much useless by kaito's good prediction. He could go to Breloom now and threaten with either Spore or Seed Bomb, but he knows that most Vaporeon (mine included) tend to carry Protect, making a Choiced Pokemon a bad idea. He still has one unrevealed Pokemon, so he might choose to send that out now.

---

kaito1412 switched in Infernape.
Pointed stones dug into Infernape.

Oh Shit... I check what's left on my team - a severely weakened Vaporeon, Breloom, Swampert, and Dragonite - and then glance back at the flaming monkey sprite. HP Ice Infernape will cut through what's left of my team like a Scizor through butter. I chide myself quite angrily. After all that effort and all that backwards and forwards, I played recklessly and didn't heed his last unrevealed Pokemon, leaving myself open to an Infernape sweep...

I'm in a very bad position now, since Infernape honestly is such a threat to the remnants of my team.

Vaporeon used Protect.
Vaporeon protected itself!
Infernape used Close Combat.
Vaporeon protected itself!

vs

Vaporeon: 24%
Infernape: 88%

I Protect out of habit, just to scout what move he will use, but this could have turned out disastrous if kaito had Nasty Plot and predicted me. However, by scouting his move, I get a ray of hope. Infernape seems to be intent on Close Combating me instead of using Grass Knot. This might be because his Infernape is a Swords Dance version instead of a Mixape, or maybe because Close Combat will hit all my remaining Pokemon convincingly hard, but whatever the reason, I pray that he uses it again.

---

Infernape used Close Combat.
Vaporeon lost 23% of its health.
Legacy Raider's Vaporeon fainted.
Infernape's defence was lowered.
Infernape's special defence was lowered.

Infernape lost 10% of its health.

X vs

Infernape: 78% (-1 Def, -1 SpD)

3-3

Yes! That was absolutely crucial. While it's a shame to see Vaporeon fall to a combination of the two Pokemon she is meant to stop, the fact that Infernape has lowered its defense with Close Combat means that it is now within KO range from Dragonite's ExtremeSpeed! I'm so happy that this small factor, a possible oversight on kaito's part, has given me a chance in the game again.

---

Legacy Raider switched in Dragonite.
Pointed stones dug into Dragonite.

Dragonite used Extremespeed.
Infernape lost 78% of its health.
kaito1412's Infernape fainted.

Dragonite lost 10% of its health.

vs X

Dragonite: 65%

3-2

And, just like that, the ever helpful Dragonite pulls me back from the verge of defeat. I don't know if kaito had overlooked the Defense drop, or whether he'd forgotten that Dragonite now has access to this new priority toy, but he left Infernape in to die instead of going to Rotom. The game is really coming down to its final stages now, but can still go either way. The winner will likely be decided in the next couple of turns.

---

His Scarf Breloom is a big threat to me - it's respectable base 80 Defense means it won't be going down to ExtremeSpeed nearly as easily as Infernape before it. The game has come full circle, and, like a reenactment of our opening play, I go to Swampert to resist Stone Edge / Spore.

Pointed stones dug into Swampert.

Breloom used Superpower.
A critical hit!
Swampert lost 84% of its health.
Legacy Raider's Swampert fainted.

X vs

Breloom [kaito's]: 65% (-1 Atk, -1 Def)

2-2

Once again he uses neither, and goes with Superpower instead. The critical hit is a bit annoying since Swampert would probably have been able to survive a second hit with the Attack drop, but this does mean Dragonite has a good opportunity to come back in.

---

Legacy Raider switched in Dragonite.
Pointed stones dug into Dragonite.

Dragonite is ready to take advantage of my foe's Defense lowering Fighting-type move once again. He threatens the KO with ExtremeSpeed, but just like I wasn't willing to leave my Breloom in on his dragon earlier on in the match, I'm betting kaito is switching this turn as well. Rotom will laugh at ExtremeSpeed, so the safe and obvious play is out of the question here. Instead, Dragonite launches a Meteor.

Dragonite used Draco Meteor.
Rotom-h lost 30% of its health.
kaito1412's Rotom-h fainted.
Dragonite's special attack was harshly lowered.

vs X

Dragonite: 30%

2-1

And it catches his Rotom on the switchin, as planned. His Breloom is all that's left now.

---

This it it. This battle is going to be close either way, so I do a lot of damage calcs so I can carry out the endgame plan that gives me the highest chance of winning. His Breloom has 59% left.

367 Atk vs 196 Def & 262 HP (80 Base Power): 140 - 165 (53.44% - 62.98%)

ExtremeSpeed has under a 50% chance to take him out. Both SuperPower and Stone Edge will take Dragonite out. If he uses Superpower, I can switch to my Breloom to sacrifice it and lower his Defense, then come back in with Dragonite and get the guaranteed KO with ExtremeSpeed. However, if he uses Seed Bomb and I switch to Breloom:

394 Atk vs 196 Def & 262 HP (80 Base Power): 87 - 102 (33.21% - 38.93%)

My Breloom has 73% left, meaning that after Stealth Rock he has a very real chance of 2HKOing me (this is the calculation I do, forgetting to take into account my Breloom's Poison Heal). If he does 2HKO me, he'll still have intact defenses for when my 30% (5% after SR) Dragonite comes in, meaning ExtremeSpeed won't be any more likely to KO, and he'll be guaranteed to take me down with Seed Bomb.

So what should I do?

Dragonite used Extremespeed.
Breloom lost 54% of its health.
Breloom used Superpower.
Dragonite lost 20% of its health.
Legacy Raider's Dragonite fainted.

X vs

Breloom [kaito's]: 5% (-1 Atk, -1 Def)

1-1

I decide to stay in and try my luck with ExtremeSpeed. In hindsight we can see that the best move would have been for me to go to Breloom here, since neither Stone Edge nor Seed Bomb would have 2HKOed me, and if he used Superpower I would then have a guaranteed KO with Dragonite's ExtremeSpeed. However, because in the middle of the battle I forgot to take Poison Heal into account, me in my paranoia didn't want to sacrifice Breloom for nothing. So my mistake means that the battle comes down to his Breloom vs mine.

---

vs

Breloom [mine]: 68% (badly poisoned)
Breloom [kaito's]: 5% (-1 Atk, -1 Def)

It comes down to this. Simple. If I survive the Superpower, I win. If I don't, I lose.

I have 68% left. I don't know what nature kaito is running. The average damage for a -1 Adamant Superpower is 72%, whereas for a -1 Jolly Superpower it is 65%. The minimum damage for a -1 Adamant Superpower is 66%. Even up until the very very end, the battle can very well go either way.

I click my move.

(kaito1412's) Breloom used Superpower.
Breloom lost 65% of its health.

Breloom used Superpower.
Breloom lost 5% of its health.
kaito1412's Breloom fainted.

1-0

Legacy Raider wins!

phew... I breathe a massive sigh of relief. Breloom vs Breloom, and mine luckily manages hangs on by just enough to deliver the final strike.

gg kaito, for a ladder match with a testing team, that was a very close and very enjoyable game. Thanks for the awesome match, and thanks to you for reading all the way down to here :). Ciao.

---

kaito1412's team:

reyscarface

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusdefeated the Smogon Frontier
World Defender
Good match. Good predictions and commentary make it very enjoyable, though im really picky that he sacrificed infernape like that, specially when it was the key to winning the game.

On the other hand, lol looks like Dragonite actually can pull off Extremespeed to success x)

Good game and good warstory.

Good warstory as always. Your the only person that i always read the whole warstory, but ya im also confused why he sacced infernape so easily. If it was mixape if would have been his game all he way. I think it was probably physical ape though.

Good to see you are back in the game :P

Loved the warstory, had the same old Legacy Raider methodical thinking I could learn so much from. And the same old, ever correct hunches. I wish to steal those hunch skills, so I can make those kind of awesome predictions :P

Loved the story once again, and I like that you talked us through your team strategy as you did the commentary too, as well as what your opponent may have been playing. Truly Intriguing.

I award you the official Tarquin toffie of excellence!

Nice! That was an excellent warstory. That Lum Berry ended up making me lol for some reason, I never expected that to have come back into the game.

The last few turns were excellent and well played, and the actual battle wasn't super long to the point of boring.

Though I still wonder why Infernape Close Combated Vaporeon. I guess if he was a NP Ape with HP Ice/Fire Blast as other moves he did not want to risk Fire Blast missing.

Great match, insightful commentary, and picture perfect predictions. This was an excellent read, as I expected it would be. Thanks, and good job, LR.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah I would like to know why he sacrificed Ape so quickly. :/

Anyways, excellent warstory as always LR. Your commentary was very nice and there were some nice predictions. Also Breloom is annoying as heck. :)

Would you mind sharing the Dragonite lead? It looks very cool.

not entirely sure why he sacced ape rather than rotom who was now pretty much useless but other than that great warstory! I've also sorely missed these

He definitely should've kept his Ape 'till the end, but enough about him. Great warstory as usual. Great commentary, make more of these! =D

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Thanks for the positive comments and ratings guys :).

Good predictions and commentary make it very enjoyable, though im really picky that he sacrificed infernape like that, specially when it was the key to winning the game.
Your the only person that i always read the whole warstory, but ya im also confused why he sacced infernape so easily. If it was mixape if would have been his game all he way. I think it was probably physical ape though.
Though I still wonder why Infernape Close Combated Vaporeon. I guess if he was a NP Ape with HP Ice/Fire Blast as other moves he did not want to risk Fire Blast missing.
Yeah I would like to know why he sacrificed Ape so quickly. :/
not entirely sure why he sacced ape rather than rotom who was now pretty much useless but other than that great warstory!
He definitely should've kept his Ape 'till the end
To be honest I think kaito forgot Dragonite learned ExtremeSpeed :P. After all the hype it got there are still very few Dragonite running around, and even fewer with the priority attack. If he had gone to Rotom on my attempted revenge kill of Infernape it would really have made the game more difficult for me to win. I would have used Swampert to take on Rotom, and then gone to Breloom when he brought in his to take the Seed Bomb and try to win from there. If his Infernape was indeed MixApe, it wouldn't have been able to OHKO CursePert with Grass Knot, so I could have attempted to lower its health with LO a bit more to the point where Dragonite could take it out without defense drops. But yeah, definitely would have made for a harder match for me to win!

Would you mind sharing the Dragonite lead? It looks very cool.
Sure:

Dragonite @ Life Orb
Inner Focus
Quiet
240 Atk / 252 SpA / 16 Spe
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- ExtremeSpeed

The set is explained in much more detail here, with a list of how it fares against common leads here. It should get up on site soon.

Once again, thanks for the positive comments, greatly appreciated :).

TheFourthChaser

#TimeForChange
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Good warstory LR, I really enjoyed the comments and prediction from both players. One of the better things about this warstory for me though was seeing Dragonite's new Extremespeed be helpful because I never really heard of much success with it before now.

I pretty much enjoyed reading every word in this warstory. The commentary was simple yet so brilliant and the formatting was nice. I really love the ending. TBH, I thought that you would lose. :P I would really vote this as the best warstory .

5 stars. I love the way you cleverly play around Salamence rather than trying to beat it with a Scarfer or Scizor. The ending needs no comment: the thought process involved was impressive enough to see.

Not much else to say except this:

Legacy Raider said:
Having received the Lum Berry, I'm a bit surprised it didn't activate at the end of the turn and cure my paralysis, but I'm guessing it doesn't work like that then.
You were right to think that it would work like that, but due to Shoddy 1 not being complete, Lum Berries and other berries like that only heal when activated by a move, instead of checking after every attack to see if the victim is statused.

But besides that great Warstory!

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Again, an excellent war story that we expect of Legacy Raider.

9/10. That little gamble at the end with Dragonite gambling with ES kind of rankled me there =/

I put forward to set this warstory in the archives.

And another great Warstory by LR, the things that started me on Smogon. Seriously man, good game, other than the little Trick misremembering. And nice job on the Explosion vs Rotom prediction.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)