CAP 9 CAP 9 - Sprite Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some reason on Clawed Nyasu's art, the shading on the head seems off.

It looks like the sun is coming directly from the left. However, on the back of the sprite, it looks like the sun is somewhere closer to the top.

And Yes you do need highlights on its head

Other wise Amazing

Arkeis

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I can't see Doug's or Nyasu's sprites!

Also Final Submission

Thanks for all the comments!

Nyasu-Looks amazing. Agree with KoA about the horn and the highlights, plus I think the horn is a bit too small. Also, the spike on the tail looks odd.

Other than that, it looks great.

Well this is the first draft of my sprite. The thing that gave me the most grief during the process was the palette, and the shading on the drills. There's still a lot of things I want to fix, but for now, here it is.
Holy cr-

With a little more editing and such you may have just somehow pushed aside the others and just seated yourself as one of my new favorites.

As for comments... Other than the main drill problem (too curved up, and maybe a bit bright...), one thing I wanted to point out is that it looks almost strangely happy compared to the artwork version where it looked angered. Not sure if this was intentional. It's not specifically better or worse in either way, but it's just something I thought I'd point out or ask about...
One thing I noticed though that seems easily missed is the belly. On our left side of it's arm, the belly, and the shading, seem to be arching up a bit, which looks a bit off, I think...?

Thanks for the comments, everyone! I took a lot of things into consideration, among them: enlarging the horn and lowering the angle (might need to be lowered even more?), adding shading to the head (still not sure on how correct this was), and altering the shading on the belly (also, I had initially neglected to give the belly towards the tail a zig-zag pattern. I also altered the angle with the lines on upper belly, and messed around with lots of other little 1-pixel details. I still don't know how to shade the main horn, since it's pointing towards the light source. In every sprite I've ever done, long body parts angled towards the light source, be it a tail, an arm or whatever, have always given me trouble.

I've also done a female sprite and a lot of potential shinies. I did the first 3 yesterday, but 10 minutes ago I did the last one (far right) which is by far my favorite.

Clawed Nyasu: Great work!
Some little details only for the typing's sake:
Perhaps you could modify the coloring a bit to make it better resemble a Dark and Ground type. To me, it looks a lot like it would be a water type Pokemon. Possibly make the colors on your sprites more brown or more dark? Another solution could be to add some dirt or ground under its body.

Aaand like you, I like the last shiny (blue and brown).

.com

Grumpy old man
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Clawed Nyasu, I think that is possibly my favourite sprite now, VERY well styled as if it were in game.
As other have said, lower the angle of the horn slightly, like 10 - 20 degrees, but otherwise this is excellent. Please don't add some ground underneath the sprite, there's enough with that effect now, and yours is in a pose which doesn't require it.
Possibly done a few too many changes for the female sprite, I'd stick with the less "blotches" on the hide, but really I'm just being picky now.
Finally, the brown and blue shiny is my favourite as well.

As more and more of you are making your final submissions, I'll probably be making fewer and fewer comments. Nonetheless, here's my next set of comments...

@ Clawed Nyasu: I'm really liking your progress on this. Either the shiney on the far left (the black and orange one) or the one on the far right will work fine as your shiney colors.

I think everyone else who has commented on the sprites has helped me figure out what seemed so off about it earlier. I'd say that you ought to try putting a little shading (like a pixel thick or something like that) around the, um, indentations on the drills in order to further remedy your problem with the lack of shading on the drill.

Edit:

Okay, the front sprite is looking a better. It's quite lovely, Clawed Nyasu. I'd say flip a coin between the two shiney color schemes or something since the two are both good.

That back sprite, however, needs some help. Please, please, please, PLEASE redo that arm: it looks like some sort of floppy... thing that was tacked on. That really is the worst offender here and it will be TONS better if you redo it. I personally would recomend changing the positioning of the arm so that it is more similar to your front sprite.

My favorites so far:

KoA: You definitely took a large risk with how the pose is so action-packed, but let me tell you one thing; you pulled it off BIG time. I love how you fixed the sand to make it a big splash, and you made it really look more Dark-type with the pose. Yours is definitely one of my favorite.

Cartoons!: You have been one of my favorites from the start. I love how Colossoil looks extremely bulky and tough in your pose. He definitely looks dark type, with the ability to kick someone's ass at any moment. Wonderful job.

DougJustDoug
: What can I say dude, I am LOVIN that pose. I think it's as of now the greatest "out of ground" pose I've seen on Colossoil. And the little explosion of dirt on the bottom of the sprite is genius. It reminds me of a jackhammer. Very good job!

Wyverii: I like this pose because he looks absolutely full of himself and cocky, which really represents the dark type for me. He looks extremely bulky and ready for battle. Good job!

Aragornbird
: You did hell of a good job on the Cyclohm sprite, along with this sprite as well. This guy looks like he's coming to get you, tear you up into shreds and pick at your bones. And if that's not dark type, then I don't know what is. I also love how you made the female have the curved pattern instead of jagged; that was really smart.

Clawed Nyasu: For a first draft, you're really killing the competition here. It makes me think of what your final product will look like. Are there flaws with it right now? A few. But with the magic of editing, I really think your final submission will blow us all away. I can't wait!

It's getting tough for me to decide who to vote for here. All of you guys are so good! Gah!

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
@Clawed Nyasu
I think it would look a little better(like everyone else apparently) if you lowered the pitch of the horn so that its pointing straighter, but besides that I love it. As for shiny sprites I like the second one the best, always thought gold/bronze went well with turquoise.
Even so, I wouldn't mind seeing some more dark blue shiny sprites, with different accent colors than green.

Alright, yet another edit to the front sprite--I made the palette a bit more dusty and lowered the horn yet again, altering the shading on it as well:

Still torn on the Shiny...

Aaaaand, I've come up with a tenative back sprite. I still am not sure whether or not I like it, but here it is:

Alright, yet another edit to the front sprite--I made the palette a bit more dusty and lowered the horn yet again, altering the shading on it as well:

Still torn on the Shiny...

Aaaaand, I've come up with a tenative back sprite. I still am not sure whether or not I like it, but here it is:
The head on the back sprite looks to... bulbous... Nice shiny scheme... were have I seen that before >.>

haha just kidding.

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
For the spriters, the thread will close in about 2 days, because the movepool poll will be up momentarily.

Altered the head shape and decided on the shiny. Not sure on the arms. Think I might do my Final Submission tonight, so thanks to everyone who commented.

Clawed Nyasu; the neck on the Pokemon appears to merge into the head from my point of view, which puts me off the backsprite, but the frontsprite would get my vote easily.

.com

Grumpy old man
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
@Clawed.
Your frontsprite is pretty much perfect in my opinion now, and you chose my favourite of the shinies, so I'm approving there as well.

As far as the backsprite goes it looks a little too curved. The forehead / mouth boundary should be a little sharper, and the arm curves too much. Also the upper of the horns on his back points a little too far up.
Otherwise a nice design, and it compliments the front sprite well.
P.S. Don't forget to change the colour of the highlight at the top of the head on the female's shiny backsprite. It's the same colour as the non-shiny one, rather than the same colour as the male's shiny one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)