Smogon Shoddy Server Statistics - October 2009

Latias doesn't take extra damage from any residual damage sources by giving it 4 HP EVs. (302 HP / 8) doesn't reach the next whole number for rounding purposes, that's 304.
Well, ok then. But for other pokemon, where this situation does arise, my point still stands.

personally i stick lose last 4 into defense, but thats just me

im surprised people think latias is more useful though, it has a pretty much counter-all called tyranitar, whereas salamence can do some huge damage before they figure out what kinda mence it is =/ latias just doesnt have salamences raw strength

personally i stick lose last 4 into defense, but thats just me

im surprised people think latias is more useful though, it has a pretty much counter-all called tyranitar, whereas salamence can do some huge damage before they figure out what kinda mence it is =/ latias just doesnt have salamences raw strength
This is true, but Latias's higher speed, lack of SR weakness, and high special defense make it fit into more teams(IMO). Its ability to check/revenge Zapdos, Heatran, Infernape, Gyarados, Salamence, and many more is really valuable.

EDIT: Ahh, alright, never mind on the Latias comments.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
You are correct. Anything less than 10 EVs is considered "None". Perhaps I should have made the stats group label "Very Very Low (<10)", but I figured anything like that would be confusing, and not statistically helpful. I also did not want to group "remainder EVs" in with the "Very Low" category (50 or less). Specifically because when most people assign the remaining 4-6 evs in most spreads, they are not doing it competitively. Perhaps there should be distinct "Very Very Low" and "None" categories, but that seems to be slicing things pretty thin. And considering how the least-used stat distributions are accumulated into "Other" anyway -- it just seems kinda silly to make the distinction.

But, yes, obviously there is some competitive impact to those remaining 4-6 EVs, albeit very small, except in some very rare circumstances, perhaps involving some pokemon's SR damage, or similar.

And since we are on the topic of stat groupings, if someone is stupid enough to give their pokemon 251 EVs in a given stat -- it WILL be categorized as "Max". I doubt this happens much at all, but now you know...
Ouch.

My average EVs calculator used for the monthly statistics (sorry for not issuing the one for September btw) assumes that 'None' = 0 EVs and 'Max' = 252 EVs. Can you tell me the threshold for 'None' and 'Max' so that I fix it? Thanks.

Thanks for the Stats so early Doug ^^.

Good to see that Scizor is over the 30 % mark (31.81 %).

WOW! Latias and Gyarados have a higher Usage than Salamence.

Good to see in Uber is that Ho-oh has even more Usage than in September. In September it had only 2171 (21 rank), now it has 4226 (13 mark), it has double the usage in only a month, interested to see for me.

Awesome to see in Suspect Usage is that Scizor and Tyranitar have more Usage than Manaphy.

Code:
|   91 | Alakazam   |     89 |
Alakazam only 89 Usage realy bad for a Pokemon with so good stats.

That's all for now!

Thanks for the Stats so early Doug ^^.

Good to see that Scizor is over the 30 % mark (31.81 %).

WOW! Latias and Gyarados have a higher Usage than Salamence.

Good to see in Uber is that Ho-oh has even more Usage than in September. In September it had only 2171 (21 rank), now it has 4226 (13 mark), it has double the usage in only a month, interested to see for me.

Awesome to see in Suspect Usage is that Scizor and Tyranitar have more Usage than Manaphy.

Code:
|   91 | Alakazam   |     89 |
Alakazam only 89 Usage realy bad for a Pokemon with so good stats.

That's all for now!
the problem with alakazam is not exactly the stats(in most part) the real problem is the movepool,in RSE he had the element punches for some coverage,he won focus blast in DPP but this dont pay off for losing the 3 punchs,also he is far to frail,and die by most moves he dont resist,in fact he die by about any physical move,resisting or not,also his STAB move is not exactly the best,it used to be one of the best in RBY but not anymore...

the problem with alakazam is not exactly the stats(in most part) the real problem is the movepool,in RSE he had the element punches for some coverage,he won focus blast in DPP but this dont pay off for losing the 3 punchs,also he is far to frail,and die by most moves he dont resist,in fact he die by about any physical move,resisting or not,also his STAB move is not exactly the best,it used to be one of the best in RBY but not anymore...
He only used Fire Punch back in RSE though. I think we can attribute his downfall to the plethora of other hard hitters who are more bulky and have better movepools(Azelf), as well as Pursuit becoming physical(he used to be able to survive Houndoom's/Tyranitar's Pursuit if he stayed in).

He only used Fire Punch back in RSE though. I think we can attribute his downfall to the plethora of other hard hitters who are more bulky and have better movepools(Azelf), as well as Pursuit becoming physical(he used to be able to survive Houndoom's/Tyranitar's Pursuit if he stayed in).
he used fire punch for the most part,but also used the other 2 in other situations,but about anything weak to pursuit is on a very bad situation in today metagame,and the amount of priority users like lucario and scizor(and dragonite has well ever since HGSS) made life just worst,still the lost of all the 3 punchs really cost him a lot,those 3 where very useful in coverage,also the fact that scizor only won bullet punch in platinun sealed his fate,in DP early stages he might had a chance,but ever since platinun,new move tutors,pokemons with sucker punch,lucario and scizor,2 famous prioirty users and like you said,pokemons like azelf that can actuly survive a hit(and hit on both ends instead of being walled by blissey,toughy specs focus blast 2hko her anyway....) REALLY sealed his fate to the UU metagame,and i expect him to go down to NU soon since i dont see lots of zams in UU

Ouch.

My average EVs calculator used for the monthly statistics (sorry for not issuing the one for September btw) assumes that 'None' = 0 EVs and 'Max' = 252 EVs. Can you tell me the threshold for 'None' and 'Max' so that I fix it? Thanks.
Anything less than 10 EVs is considered "None".

And since we are on the topic of stat groupings, if someone is stupid enough to give their pokemon 251 EVs in a given stat -- it WILL be categorized as "Max". I doubt this happens much at all, but now you know...
None: 0-9 EVs
Max: 251-255 EVs

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Ouch.

None: 0-9 EVs
Max: 251-255 EVs
Yes, Malvira is correct. BTW, I'm not adamant about these thresholds for None and Max, or any of the other EV groupings for that matter.

Back when I was first writing the stat gathering programs, the EV spreads were a bit of a conundrum for me. Of course, I didn't want to statistically track 255 numbers for each stat for each species. But, I really had no idea of the most useful groupings of EV's. High, Medium and Low, seemed a bit too broad. So, I expanded that out to include "Very High" and "Very Low". I also wanted a special category for "Max" and "None", which both seem to have special competitive significance. That made seven groupings.

Seven groups were easy to map into sections of 50 ev's, so I did that. When I realized that "throwaway EV's" were skewing the "Very Low" results, I decided to force them into the "None" category. The 251 and up were already being grouped into Max, because I was using integer division by 50 to get the groups in the first place.

I never really gave it a second thought after that. I was focused on other problems with log parsing and stat gathering. But, I'm willing to use different grouping logic for EV's, if there is a better proposal that isn't too complicated to implement and understand.

he used fire punch for the most part,but also used the other 2 in other situations,but about anything weak to pursuit is on a very bad situation in today metagame,and the amount of priority users like lucario and scizor(and dragonite has well ever since HGSS) made life just worst,still the lost of all the 3 punchs really cost him a lot,those 3 where very useful in coverage,also the fact that scizor only won bullet punch in platinun sealed his fate,in DP early stages he might had a chance,but ever since platinun,new move tutors,pokemons with sucker punch,lucario and scizor,2 famous prioirty users and like you said,pokemons like azelf that can actuly survive a hit(and hit on both ends instead of being walled by blissey,toughy specs focus blast 2hko her anyway....) REALLY sealed his fate to the UU metagame,and i expect him to go down to NU soon since i dont see lots of zams in UU
17 | Alakazam | 11344 | 9.71

I don't think Zam's going to NU anytime soon.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Yes, Malvira is correct. BTW, I'm not adamant about these thresholds for None and Max, or any of the other EV groupings for that matter.

Back when I was first writing the stat gathering programs, the EV spreads were a bit of a conundrum for me. Of course, I didn't want to statistically track 255 numbers for each stat for each species. But, I really had no idea of the most useful groupings of EV's. High, Medium and Low, seemed a bit too broad. So, I expanded that out to include "Very High" and "Very Low". I also wanted a special category for "Max" and "None", which both seem to have special competitive significance. That made seven groupings.

Seven groups were easy to map into sections of 50 ev's, so I did that. When I realized that "throwaway EV's" were skewing the "Very Low" results, I decided to force them into the "None" category. The 251 and up were already being grouped into Max, because I was using integer division by 50 to get the groups in the first place.

I never really gave it a second thought after that. I was focused on other problems with log parsing and stat gathering. But, I'm willing to use different grouping logic for EV's, if there is a better proposal that isn't too complicated to implement and understand.
I think they are fine. I just wanted to know their exact definition so that I fix my average EV calculator that I use for the typical moveset / EVs / nature algorithm.

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Has anyone noticed that Electivire is slowly dropping in usage? It's 34 this time, as opposed to it's 31 last time. Maybe it will drop to UU next year?

17 | Alakazam | 11344 | 9.71

I don't think Zam's going to NU anytime soon.
well,he wont come back to OU so soon either,so he will probaly be stucked in UU until he get some kind of awesome move that make him usable again(in another words,he will be UU forever,maybe BL,but UU is his home now)

I'm on the fence on the whole Alakazam thing, being as I have never used him, but from what I'm hearing, and that fact that a +1 Shadow Ball won't kill a Spiritomb, Alakazam will stay in UU in my opinion.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
You imply as if most people played competitively 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gen.
You know what I meant. The fact that it's a pokémon established as OU for such a long time (two years or four generations, your choice) falling to UU made its usage skyrocket at the first 17 days of use. I'm not saying Alakazam will automatically go down in usage this month, but how much it was used right before getting unbanned really doesn't matter.

well,he wont come back to OU so soon either,so he will probaly be stucked in UU until he get some kind of awesome move that make him usable again(in another words,he will be UU forever,maybe BL,but UU is his home now)
Does it really matter what tier he's in?

@doug: I would argue that for hp 248+ evs should be considered max. Certain pokemon (eg scizor) run 248 just for reasons of stealth rock, maximum probably describes these pokemon best. By the same token, I think 0-8 should be considered none, as pokemon who run 248 evs will dump the remaining 8 into some random defense.

Basically, I'm arguing that the person who runs 248 hp, 252 att, 8 def scizor is better described as running max hp/ max att/ no defense, rather than max att/ very high hp/ very low def.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)