CAP 9 CAP 9 - Sprite Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dammit Nyasu, you just made my life one hell of a lot harder, because if you fix up that back-sprite, I literally cannot decide between yours, Cartoons!'s, and pkmn's (if he fixes his backsprite slightly too)

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Final Submission

Of the two sprite poses I worked on, I decided to submit this one. This may not be the sprite favored by the average CAP voter, and it may not give me the best chance to do well in the polls. But this is the sprite I personally like the best. It is the sprite I would like to see, if I used Colossoil in battle.

I've really enjoyed making sprites on this CAP. The discussion and feedback in this thread has been top-notch. Thanks to all the people that have taken the time to give detailed comments to the spriters in the community. Sometimes, the commentary in CAP art threads is nice or complimentary -- but not really helpful. Other times, it's just outright rude and demotivating. With this CAP, it was challenging, but fun. Win or lose, I learned a few new things.

The field of entries is fantastic, as always. There are several other sprites that I can easily see myself voting for. I look forward to seeing which one we choose!

I suppose this means it's time for Doug's new avatar or something. :P

Good work, Doug, and everyone else. I assume the poll will be up no later than tomorrow? It's pretty much dead in here now, but Nyasu's still got a backsprite to finish so I hope that goes well.

Can't wait to pick. It's gonna be tough!

so... two days left so that i have to vote....
every sprite has its own charm but i have to decide between:
cartoon´s: becouse it is awsome, the look on it is like (as cartoon´s put it) "come and try something little bastard" but it looks far too bulky for my taste.
Xsandzero (probably didn´t spell it right): up to now my favourite front sprite, the pose is unique and awsome, yet it suits colossoil perfectly. I am not a big fan of the back sprite but i don´t hate it either.
clawed nyasu: man you ruined my life i mean i had to decide between two sprites but you came in and your front sprite captivated me, it looks delicate yet bulky, fast and powerful all at the same time great job i have to say

Edits, edits, edits~

Fixed the head again, and I think fixed the top horn? Still can't tell how to not make the arm too round, I edited it, but I don't know if it helped. And lol, I noticed the female Shiny's highlight error about 15 minutes after posting.

Edits, edits, edits~

Fixed the head again, and I think fixed the top horn? Still can't tell how to not make the arm too round, I edited it, but I don't know if it helped. And lol, I noticed the female Shiny's highlight error about 15 minutes after posting.
The arms are definately way too curly, and way too low on it's body as well, and the head seems very small. I recommend pushing the head and arms down a bit (the head moreso than the arms, so the arms seem higher up on it's body). In addition, the body also seems rather thin, and it's also a bit too tall...

...Well, I'm bad at explaining things, but let me direct you to a few of the other submissions that seem to show what I mean. Specifically... These and these, I guess.

The arms are definately way too curly, and way too low on it's body as well, and the head seems very small. I recommend pushing the head and arms down a bit (the head moreso than the arms, so the arms seem higher up on it's body). In addition, the body also seems rather thin, and it's also a bit too tall...
Ahhhhh, I see. But when I think about it...looking at Cyzir's original drawing, with arms are pretty far down on the body (except in the side view, confusingly), and if I moved the arms up on the back sprite, it would conflict with my front sprite. I can try fixing the shape of the arms and enlarging the head though.

Good choice doug; I prefer the leaping one to your other one.

It's a real shame we can only choose one sprite though. There are quite a few that are really good, and in different ways.

Cartoons! still has my vote though.

not sure how to say this, doug your back sprite is totally awesome. definitely imo the best one, shading and pose is awesome. But for me the front sprite is somehow lacking, im not sure if i like how the body slims down so fast and im not sure about the belly but idk how to imrpove it, im no artist.

.com

Grumpy old man
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
The top spike looks much better now, is there anyway you could try the hand kind'a making a fist. So instead of curling, it folds on itself? Not completely folded, just so it comes to an angle rather than a curl (this might look ridiculous when you try it, it's the only thing I can think of to make it less curly).
Actually, perhaps you could lower the flipper so less of it is on screen, so that the curl is less pronounced. I realise there's not much time left, so don't worry if you can't.
Otherwise this spriteset is definitely my new favourite, loving the true-to-art colouring scheme, and the in-game style front sprite. Very nice.

FINAL SUBMISSION

I've done all I can I hope there are enough people that are okay with my back sprites, but I'm not going to be here for the rest of the day and I'm not going to miss out on posting the updated ones

Oof.

I did the thing that spriters must never do--I resized my sprite. *_* Damn I hope this stupid thing looks better now cause I hate working on this backsprite. It took a while to smooth out the blockiness from resizing, and then it was really hard to enlarge the head without making the back spikes go off the 80 pixel edge.

No transparency...I'm too lazy to open Photoshop.

Oof.

I did the thing that spriters must never do--I resized my sprite. *_* Damn I hope this stupid thing looks better now cause I hate working on this backsprite. It took a while to smooth out the blockiness from resizing, and then it was really hard to enlarge the head without making the back spikes go off the 80 pixel edge.

No transparency...I'm too lazy to open Photoshop.
If you can just de-curve the hand, the backsprite will be awesome. It's just...too curly :chaos:

FINAL SUBMISSION

I've done all I can I hope there are enough people that are okay with my back sprites, but I'm not going to be here for the rest of the day and I'm not going to miss out on posting the updated ones
Man, I really like your front sprite and your back sprite would be great if it didn't look like the horn was coming out of the side of its head. :/

?_?

I'm really having a hard time figuring out how to make the hand not so curly without changing the pose. Or is that what everyone has been suggesting all along--changing the pose?

You could maybe try moving the arm up slightly and showing part of the arm but not the claw itself.
Edit: Or move the head down instead of moving the arm up.

Sort of like Wyverii's:

That's what I'd suggest too. I find the head is very well constructed, but as we move down, the body thins considerably and the arm is placed very low making Colossoil look more like a worm with arms than a whale.

In Cyzir's original art, the arm isn't placed particularly low on the body, but is rather moved towards the back. The armpit is actually on the same level as the lower jaw.

Which isn't to say you shouldn't sprite it with its hand raised. But I'd fix the position, as right now it looks a little affected and unnatural.

That said, you've got a great head on both front and back sprites, and a unique pose as well.

I can't see Doug's or Nyasu's sprites!

Also Final Submission

Thanks for all the comments!
Thanks for taking my suggestion by rounding the back pose; it looks much better IMO. As I have said, your sprite is by far my favorite and will be recieving my vote when the time comes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)