Monotype Steel Team

Hi smogon, I'm considerably new to competitive battling, but I decided to make a monotype steel team, just for the fun of it. I've tried it on shoddy, it's not too bad, it wins it share of matches. But I hope to further improve it, that's why I'm posting it here.
Here's the team:

Metagross, Heatran, Scizor, Empoleon, Lucario, Rotom-C.
[Sorry there aren't any pics I keep messin up when I put pics]

Metagross @ Occa berry.
Ability: Clear Body.
Naughty Nature [+Atk -SpD]
252 Atk, 124 SpA, 132 SpD.
Bullet Punch
Earthquake
Grass Knot
Stealth Rocks.

This is a Metagross lead set that has worked better than the previous standard lead set. I've tried it and it works better without Explosion. Grass knot takes care of Swampert, which is good, and still does its job pretty well.

Heatran @ Choice scarf.
Ability: Flash Fire.
Naive Nature [+Spe -SpD]
6 Atk, 252 SpA, 252 Spe.
Hidden Power [Ice]
Fire Blast
Explosion
Earth Power.

Actually all my Pokes movesets are standard, because I find that they are very effective. Heatran is mainly for absorbing fire moves thrown at my other pokes while at the same time being part steel, and makes an awesome poke for a steel monotype team. He's also an awesome revenge killer, I ko'd about 4 pokes at once with this guy. [Or girl for this matter].

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician.
Adamant Nature [+Atk -SpA]
248 HP, 252 Atk, 8 Spe.
Bullet Punch
Quick Attack
Superpower
U-turn.

The standard choice band set for Scizor. I still don't know whether to go for Quick Attack or pursuit, they're both nice moves, but I'm going with Quick Attack for now. Even though this set is very predictable it still works relatively well.

Empoleon @ Leftovers.
Ability: Torrent.
252 HP, 252 Atk 6 Spe.
Swords Dance
Aqua Jet
Drill Peck
Earthquake.

The SD Empoleon set, aqua get is an awesome move, it saved me a couple of times already. Just because it's a priority move and I get stab though, and after just one SD it becomes quite deadly and it helps even more if my torrent is activated. Just one problem about this Empoleon is that it lacks some speed, making him not so able to sweep effectively especially if the opposing poke resists aqua jet. Other than that Empoleon's just here to take water attacks targeted at Heatran and attempt to sweep.

Lucario @ Life Orb.
Ability: Inner Focus.
252 Atk, 6 Def, 252 Spe.
Close Combat
Swords Dance
Extremespeed
Crunch.

SD Lucario. Yet another priority move. I found out that my team relies quite a bit on priority moves, because it doesn't really have anything to stop beastly pokes like Salamence or Kingdra after they set up. This Life Orb SD set does work better than the previous CB set, and helps me kill more pokes since he doesn't get locked in to any particular move for my oppoenent to switch to an easy counter and force a switch.

WILD CARD:
Rotom-C @ Leftovers.
Ability: Levitate.
Timid Nature [+Spe -Atk]
252 HP, 168 Def, 88 Spe.
Thunderbolt
Shadow Ball
Leaf Storm
Will-O-Wisp.

Made changes again, with the help of some more experienced members. I switched in Gengar for Rotom-C, since it DOES have much higher defenses and bulk, though I have to give up some power for that. But it's ok, because this set works relatively well too, with Will-o-wisp being able to cripple physical sweepers and have 2 strong STAB moves.

Yup, that's my monotype steel team. The reason I chose Rotom-C as my wild card is because he's immune to Fighting and Ground, 2 of Steel types' most common weakness. I also have Heatran to absorb any fire attack my opponent may throw at me, so that grants me effective immunity to all 3 of steel type's weaknesses. Rotom-C's Ghost and Dark weaknesses are also resisted by all steel types, forming a good synergy.

Ok, let me start by saying you have 4 pokes weak to ground and one of them is 4x. Now, I may sound stupid because it's a steel-type mono team, but there is a steel pokemon that is neutral to ground and maintains the offense: Scizor. I don't understand why you don't have Scizor in the first place (except 2 4x fire weaknesses is a fair reason, but nulled if you replace the wild card), he's a great revenge killer and bulky offense, which is something your team seems to lack to some extents. I won't name sets, pick any one you like, as they are all excellent and a good addition to your team (depending on who you take off).

I also suggest you change Gengar to a counter to all Steel-type super-effectives. Rotom formes~!

Ground: Immune
Fire: Neutral
Fighting: Immune
Electric (Empoleon) : Resistant

Not only this, he's a spin blocker, which keeps your Entry Hazards intact if you switch him in on Forretress, Starmie, Hitmontop, or any spinner, and you can boost, status, or set up (dual screener) on them ezpz (watch out for Foresight on Hitmontop, and Starmie's STAB Psychic hurts if it runs it).

I hope this all helped!

Arkeis

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
If you don't like Gengar because it's so frail, use a Rotom form instead as they are also immune to Fighting and Ground, but are much bulkier. Rotom-C would be the best since it learns Leaf Storm to take care of Swampert. It can also counter Gyarados, something that can sweep your entire team very easily.

Make Lucario a Life Orb sweeper. It just works better than the Choice Bander.

Forretress isn't doing too much for this team. Look at the rest of your Pokemon. They're all highly offensive. Forretress is the only member not doing any damage. Replace it with CB Scizor, who has the same type but will do much more damage especially when it has the most powerful priority move of any OU Pokemon.

Don' lead with Skarmory like Kumar suggested. That's just a bad idea. This is an offensive team and Skarmory doesn't belong on those.

Another way to deal with Swampert would be to use the mixed Metagross set, but adjust it to suit the lead position.

Metagross @Life Orb/Leftovers/Expert Belt
Naughty, 252 Atk/124 SpA/132 Spd
~ Earthquake
~ Bullet Punch
~ Stealth Rock
~ Grass Knot

I've chosen to replace Hidden Power Fire with Stealth Rock from the standard set, which suits it as a lead more, since you can still hit other Metagross with Earthquake harder. Grass Knot is the key to this set really, since you can OHKO Swampert with it.

And I'll have to agree with aragornbird's idea of CB Scizor to this team, Forretress really doesn't seem to be doing much except for the Spikes (and usually Stealth Rock is enough on an offensive team).

If you don't like Gengar because it's so frail, use a Rotom form instead as they are also immune to Fighting and Ground, but are much bulkier. Rotom-C would be the best since it learns Leaf Storm to take care of Swampert. It can also counter Gyarados, something that can sweep your entire team very easily.

Make Lucario a Life Orb sweeper. It just works better than the Choice Bander.

Forretress isn't doing too much for this team. Look at the rest of your Pokemon. They're all highly offensive. Forretress is the only member not doing any damage. Replace it with CB Scizor, who has the same type but will do much more damage especially when it has the most powerful priority move of any OU Pokemon.

Don' lead with Skarmory like Kumar suggested. That's just a bad idea. This is an offensive team and Skarmory doesn't belong on those.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try using rotom-C. I never thought of rotom, just because I've never really used one. But I'll try and see how it goes. Also, I think I'll change Lucario to a life orb sweeper like you said. I may lose some power but I think it'll be better to have a choice of attacks to use on Luc.

Also I'll try using Scizor. I was in a dilemma as to what Pokes to use in this team, since there are so many other good steel types like Magnezone too. I agree that Forretress is quite useless other than exploding, and it doesn't really do a good job unless my oppoenent misclicks or over-predicts.

Appreciate the suggestion!

Ok, let me start by saying you have 4 pokes weak to ground and one of them is 4x. Now, I may sound stupid because it's a steel-type mono team, but there are two pokemon who are neutral and are immune to ground: Scizor and Skarmory. I don't understand why you don't have Scizor in the first place (except 2 4x fire weaknesses is a fair reason, but nulled if you replace the wild card), he's a great revenge killer and bulky offense, which is something your team seems to lack to some extents. I won't name sets, pick any one you like, as they are all excellent and a good addition to your team (depending on who you take off).

Now, Skarmory may not seem to fit in, but he can in fact lead. Metagross leads are so popular that Azelf leads run Fire Blast JUST for Metagross to 2HKO. Now, Skarmory doesn't solve this, but Skarmory makes a pretty good lead, and Metagross can replace someone else on your team like Empoleon or Lucario, and the other offensive/tank sets he can use are great. Choice Band Metagross outclasses Choice Band Lucario on quite a few levels except speed, but the power he has...oh, the power...Bringing myself back to the point; Skarmory can lay down Spikes and phaze as a lead. With Brave Bird, it can weaken pokemon that don't resist it, and deal masses of damage to Machamp, and fighting brethren, and OHKO Breloom and Heracross, two big threats to your team, it seems (dependant on set). If he's Taunted, he has a slight problem, yes. But if he uses a funny-looking move called Thief while holding no item, he can deal a pitiful amount of damage and steal their

~Focus Sash
~Occa Berry
~Leftovers
~Shed Shell
~Life Orb
~Lum Berry

All of which Skarmory can put to use. Don't Thief a Bronzong, though, there's a risk of carrying Macho Brace or Lagging Tail, so be wary. I'm not saying this is the best move, but it's awesome for a novelty-ish lead set. I've yet to use it, but it seems like an alright option, especially leaving your opponent guessing, "What item is he using if it's not Leftovers?" and makes Skarm a little less predictable.

Skarmory can function well as a lead, and relieves metagross of this role, and brings him back to his main role of late-game sweeping (ROCK POLISH > AGILITY--gross), or tanking (Bulky offensive), or Choice Band cleaner (self-explained). Along with Scizor, these two can form a deadly duo, and I also suggest you keep Empoleon if you are planning to put Scizor in, and maybe change Gengar to a counter to all Steel-type super-effectives. Rotom formes~!

Ground: Immune
Fire: Neutral
Fighting: Immune
Electric (Empoleon) : Resistant

Not only this, he's a spin blocker, which keeps your Entry Hazards intact if you switch him in on Forretress, Starmie, Hitmontop, or any spinner, and you can boost, status, or set up (dual screener) on them ezpz (watch out for Foresight on Hitmontop, and Starmie's STAB Psychic hurts if it runs it).

I hope this all helped!

First of all, thanks for your reply, but I don't think I'll be using Skarm. I don't really like Skarm, I prefer Forretress anyway, and like other people have mentioned it doesn't really fit into this offensive team. I will use Rotom Formes for a while and see how it goes, and I'll put in a Scizor too. I wanna keep Metagross as my lead because I enjoy using him. Thanks for your feedback though :)

Another way to deal with Swampert would be to use the mixed Metagross set, but adjust it to suit the lead position.

Metagross @Life Orb/Leftovers/Expert Belt
Naughty, 252 Atk/124 SpA/132 Spd
~ Earthquake
~ Bullet Punch
~ Stealth Rock
~ Grass Knot

I've chosen to replace Hidden Power Fire with Stealth Rock from the standard set, which suits it as a lead more, since you can still hit other Metagross with Earthquake harder. Grass Knot is the key to this set really, since you can OHKO Swampert with it.

And I'll have to agree with aragornbird's idea of CB Scizor to this team, Forretress really doesn't seem to be doing much except for the Spikes (and usually Stealth Rock is enough on an offensive team).

Thanks for your opinion I'll try the Metagross set, it looks good. And it also has the same moves other than Explosion for Grass knot.

some things i`d change:
first your wildcart: as you know, gengar is not known for its great bulkness, so change it to latias, with is immune to ground, and resistant to fire and fighting (the 3 fears of steel types;) )
a exampleset: trick-thunderbolt-draco meteor-surf; or a simple calmmind set for more bulkyness
then change you empolen to a sub-petaya once(if you want to with a grass move to hit swampert hard), and add another, more effecktive sworddancer: scizor(instead of forretress)
this should make your team more powerfull;)

some things i`d change:
first your wildcart: as you know, gengar is not known for its great bulkness, so change it to latias, with is immune to ground, and resistant to fire and fighting (the 3 fears of steel types;) )
a exampleset: trick-thunderbolt-draco meteor-surf; or a simple calmmind set for more bulkyness
then change you empolen to a sub-petaya once(if you want to with a grass move to hit swampert hard), and add another, more effecktive sworddancer: scizor(instead of forretress)
this should make your team more powerfull;)
Thanks for your opinions, I have switched my Forretress for a CB Scizor, like many other people suggested too. Also, I may consider using Latias instead, I'll try it out, I've never really used on before either.
I don't think I'll change my Empoleon to a sub-petaya one, though I was thinking of it initially, but I thought maybe use the SD one since it's not that common and works relatively well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)