Spiritomb (Gen 4, adding Lead Attacker)

Status
Not open for further replies.

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/spiritomb

• Set idea and damage calculation credits to Lemmiwinks

[SET]
name: Pure Attacker (Lead)
move 1: Shadow Ball
move 2: Hidden Power Fighting / Hidden Power Rock
move 3: Shadow Sneak
move 4: Pursuit / Sucker Punch
item: Spooky Plate
nature: Quiet
evs: 244 HP / 48 Atk / 204 SpA / 12 Spe

<p>This set is slightly more aggressive compared to the other sets because the main purpose of the set is to deal immediate damage early in the match. Spiritomb is quite versatile in terms of attacking at both ends, meaning it will usually pose a huge problem on the opposing team early in the match. Furthermore, Spiritomb boasts great typing and good bulk; making Spiritomb a difficult Pokemon to take down.</p>

<p>Shadow Ball hits remarkably hard and can 2HKO a major portion of the common leads in UU (with the exception of Ambipom). Hidden Power Fighting rounds off the coverage, as it hits Normal- and Steel-types for super effective damage. Hidden Power Rock could replace Hidden Power Fighting in order to hit Swellow, Honchkrow, and Moltres; the former three enjoy switching in on Shadow Ball easily. Shadow Sneak is an absolute given in the third slot, as it permits Alakazam, Gallade, and Mismagius from having an easy sweep. The final slot is a toss up between Pursuit and Sucker Punch. Pursuit is more useful due to the quantifiable increase of Ghost- and Psychic-types; allowing Spiritomb to successfully trap and OHKO them. However, Sucker Punch is a good alternative in order to strike faster Pokemon on tight situations. With Sucker Punch, Ambipom and Uxie will have to think twice when using U-turn on Spiritomb.</p>

<ul class="damage_calculation">
<li>Shadow Ball vs. 252 / 4 Uxie: 58.47 - 69.49%</li>
<li>Shadow Ball vs. 252 / 0 Alakazam: 94.59 - 100%</li>
<li>Shadow Ball vs. 248 / 0 Froslass: 100%</li>
<li>Shadow Ball vs. 252 / 4 Omastar: 50.0 - 59.3%</li>
<li>Shadow Ball vs. 252 / 96 Cloyster: 67.43 - 79.93%</li>
<li>Shadow Ball vs. 252 / 0 Spiritomb: 40.46 - 47.70%</li>
<li>Shadow Ball vs. 192 / 0 Arcanine: 42.27 - 49.86%</li>
<li>Shadow Ball vs. 252 / 0 Donphan: 50.78 - 60.16%</li>
</ul>

<p>The EVs are tailored to provide strong damage output physically and specially. With 244 HP EVs, Spiritomb will always survive Moltres' LO Fire Blast, and Honchkrow’s LO Brave Bird at full health. 12 Speed EVs allow Spiritomb to outpace Steelix and Slowbro. Spooky Plate is required over Expert Belt because Spiritomb will use Shadow Ball on the common leads for the most part, and it ultimately needs the consistent 20% boost all the time.</p>

<p>Without a doubt, Chansey, Registeel, and Clefable can handle hits from Spiritomb without breaking a sweat. As such, Lum Berry Gallade is an excellent partner with Spiritomb in order to check Chansey, Registeel, and Clefairy throughout the course of the match. Lum Berry ensures Gallade can switch in more recklessly on the former three.</p>

<p>Spiritomb will have its share of difficulties with Swellow and Honchkrow if it's not packing Hidden Power Rock. Defensively, Steelix makes an excellent partner to provide that Flying-type resist and Stealth Rock to help it deal with Flying-types. Regirock works in the similar fashion as Steelix, except it can take Honchkrow’s Superpower slightly better.</p>

I think all of the Spiritomb sets that are OHKOed by a +2 Gallade's Leaf Blade / Stone Edge should have that noted, this set included. I think something like bulky Arcanine, Slowbro, or a normal CBer should be mentioned to deal with Gallade.

This also seems weird since Froslass could be banned ^_^

I think all of the Spiritomb sets that are OHKOed by a +2 Gallade's Leaf Blade / Stone Edge should have that noted, this set included. I think something like bulky Arcanine, Slowbro, or a normal CBer should be mentioned to deal with Gallade.

This also seems weird since Froslass could be banned ^_^
It should be mentioned that a Spiritomb set like this is designed for more offensive teams given its nature, and therefore SD Gallade is of very little significance as a threat. Shadow Sneak does up to 65% anyway, and is the move to use against Gallade in such a situation.

Also, Froslass' tier status should not have much bearing on the viability of this set for the analysis. It is more of a catch-all set on the lead front rather than dealing primarily with Froslass. If Froslass does end up BL then the one calc line where she is mentioned can just be removed. Not exactly an overhaul, is it?

@ j. franky: a couple of things I noticed immediately. Clefairy should obviously be Clefable, and Regirock can hardly take Superpowers much better than Steelix. The difference is quite tiny really.

It should be mentioned that a Spiritomb set like this is designed for more offensive teams given its nature, and therefore SD Gallade is of very little significance as a threat. Shadow Sneak does up to 65% anyway, and is the move to use against Gallade in such a situation.

Also, Froslass' tier status should not have much bearing on the viability of this set for the analysis. It is more of a catch-all set on the lead front rather than dealing primarily with Froslass. If Froslass does end up BL then the one calc line where she is mentioned can just be removed. Not exactly an overhaul, is it?

@ j. franky: a couple of things I noticed immediately. Clefairy should obviously be Clefable, and Regirock can hardly take Superpowers much better than Steelix. The difference is quite tiny really.
I guess so. It effects other Pokemon way more than this Spiritomb, but if Froslass goes I can see the overall usefulness of this set being lowered.

Anyway my point about Gallade was that I think the analysis should say "Don't use this Spiritomb as your Gallade counter" somewhere, because it isn't and the "normal" sets are.

franky

is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I guess so. It effects other Pokemon way more than this Spiritomb, but if Froslass goes I can see the overall usefulness of this set being lowered.

Anyway my point about Gallade was that I think the analysis should say "Don't use this Spiritomb as your Gallade counter" somewhere, because it isn't and the "normal" sets are.
I disagree with the overall effectiveness of the set being lowered. Personally, I'm laddering with this set with great success and I've encountered a single Froslass yet it still remains effective. I'm dead serious when I say this set can handle all the leads quite well.

This set is offensive like the first statement says and its really "attacking" as suppose to checking stuff. I'm not going to add a Gallade counter because Gallade does not counter this set at all because not many Gallade will be switching in on this set anyways.

This set is offensive like the first statement says and its really "attacking" as suppose to checking stuff. I'm not going to add a Gallade counter because Gallade does not counter this set at all because not many Gallade will be switching in on this set anyways.
I guess so, I just think it would be helpful to flat out say "this set doesn't Counter Gallade like the other Spiritomb sets" in the analaysis for readers that it might not be obvious to. It's your call though.

I've used a similar set and I would say Pain Split should be slashed over Hidden Power. Spiritomb can switch into so many things for (relatively) free plus the fact it's base HP is horrible makes Pain Split both a great offensive and defensive move.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Is Toxicroak such a huge problem that you wouldn't have Dark Pulse over Shadow Ball (And Dread Plate over Spooky Plate) in the first slot. It has the exact same Super-effective coverage, but isn't walled by Normal type leads. Is the 20% boost in power to Shadow Sneak important enough for that?

Granted it doesn't hit Gallade as hard which could be an issue. There's also the loss of the 20% SpD drop.

Is Toxicroak such a huge problem that you wouldn't have Dark Pulse over Shadow Ball (And Dread Plate over Spooky Plate) in the first slot. It has the exact same Super-effective coverage, but isn't walled by Normal type leads. Is the 20% boost in power to Shadow Sneak important enough for that?

Granted it doesn't hit Gallade as hard which could be an issue. There's also the loss of the 20% SpD drop.
You half-answered your own question here. It's not just Toxicroak and Gallade, but Blaziken, Hariyama, Poliwrath, Hitmontop and various others that are the reason why Shadow Ball is needed. Spiritomb has one of the best type combos for taking on Fighters, and needs to be well equipped to at least take them on one-on-one, if not outright counter them. Running Dark Pulse would not only compromise that, but also leave Spiritomb as potential set-up bait for most of these guys, which is one of the main factors that this particular Spiritomb set tries to avoid over the more defensive builds. Normal types are much less of an issue if running HP Fighting (the preferred option), which does almost as much as a boosted Dark Pulse would.

And in addition to this, Dark Pulse's flinch rate is next to useless on a slowcoach like Spiritomb, but Shadow Ball's special defense drops are frequently useful.

Feel like doing a full revamp? The old Spiritomb "revamp" never got done and is outdated, thus I have deleted it. It needs a new owner — if you, or anybody else wants to take it, please post in this thread.

franky

Edit: not doing Spiritomb revamp. Having too much analysis reserved will hinder my school studies

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
I've posted in the Index that I would do it, so consider this my post to revamp Spiritomb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)