Want to contribute to The Smog? (Now accepting submissions for Issue #7!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The Smog is always looking for new writers to contribute something to the webzine. We're looking for articles, ideas, comments, and anything else you have to contribute to The Smog!

If you want to write an article for The Smog, please PM a draft or detailed outline to Seven Deadly Sins AND august. If your submission is accepted, you will be given access to the Article Workshop, where you will post your article for peer review and detailed grammar revision by other writers and editors.

Issue #7 will be coming out in approximately 6 weeks, so get your articles in ASAP if you want to make it into this issue!

Remember that while you're free to post article ideas here, what we want most is new writers that are ready to contribute to The Smog, so the best way to see your article make its way into The Smog is to write it yourself!

I'm thinking of submiting an article about the Top 10 rises to fame, but I would need somebody to help me, somebody who was around at the start of DP.

Alchemator

my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm thinking about writing an article on When Gimmicks go too far but whether I actually get it written is dependant on how much schoolwork I get. :D

I'd like to write an article about The Late Game (This will probably not be the actual title). I proposed to write an on-site article about it in the C&C Suggestions thread, but I was met with only skepticism. I'd be willing to write it on my own, and I'd like to prove you this is worth your time.

EDIT: Some issues keep me from finding time as of now. I'll try my hand for the next issue probably.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Underrated threats of DPPt.

Perhaps it could even be a Smog-anual thing if it becomes successful. Mainly it would talk about sets that aren't overused but very effective in their own right. iKitsune would like to help with this if accepted.

I think that an article featuring the Top 10 Users of Stealth Rock in OU / UU would be a great addition to the Smog. Stealth Rock is one of the best and most frequently used moves in competitive play today, and has a huge impact on the metagame. There are tons of users of it in OU and UU, and each have different ways of setting it up. Writing an article about the Top 10 Users of it in OU/UU complete with the strategies that each pokemon uses to set it up would be useful to many players, both new and veteran.

august

you’re a voice that never sings
is a Community Leaderis a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Smogon Classic Winnerwon the 5th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
OGC Leader
I think that an article featuring the Top 10 Users of Stealth Rock in OU / UU would be a great addition to the Smog. Stealth Rock is one of the best and most frequently used moves in competitive play today, and has a huge impact on the metagame. There are tons of users of it in OU and UU, and each have different ways of setting it up. Writing an article about the Top 10 Users of it in OU/UU complete with the strategies that each pokemon uses to set it up would be useful to many players, both new and veteran.
The only problem is that there is really no set in stone "best" Stealth Rocker, it all depends on what your team needs.

There are certainly some that are far superior to others. But I do understand your point; there are also Stealth Rockers for different points in the game. Maybe narrow it down a little bit? Top 5 for a specific playstyle, i.e. Balance, Stall, Hyper-Offensive, etc., and there could be several installments of it?

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Nah.

Really the key is "fit SR somewhere on your team". The list of things that learn SR is massive, and there are no "top 10". It all depends on what your team needs, like August says.

I suggest two things:
1- How much a single move has changed or could change a pokemon, Like Scizor or Agrron.
2- How much do a Pokemon's stats influence its power. Compare Scizor's and Regigigas' BST.

I think it would be nice to have a "feutured move" in each issue.

In the articel the move could be discussed in terms of which Pokemon could use it, how it effects the game, suggestions on how to use it, and examples of how to use Pokemon with that move on your team.

Moves that could be featured could be thing like dragon dance, sword dance, agility ect (mainly set-up moves as they have bigger effects than actual attacks)

I also like DKG's first suggestion.

Lockeness

(e^(i╥))+1=0
I think it would be funny to do a humorous article on the different types of Shoddy chat users. I always get a kick out of chat and I would perhaps be able to write the article for you. I do have some quasi-professional experience in writing. Another idea would be to do an article on signs that you maybe a n00b. Again I would be willing to write the article.

I think this as a comment :)

I think we should have a top Warstory in each release, there is a Battle-of the-Week, however that doesn't explain the turn-by-turn thinking, etc.

I was thinking we could have a poll next magazine with a list of pokemon asking which pokemon is their favorite. The next issue we could right a page on that pokemon, why they are in their tier, some reasons why they are so popular, its stregnths and weaknesses, how to play the pokemon, and what kind of role it would take in a trainer's team.

Can I do pokemon of the month?

I would like to write about Azelf, since I've been using them competitively for a long time, and no standard team of mine goes without one.

I know many possible movesets, support, physical, special, revenge kill, many sets for Azelf.

I know how to use it, and I would appreciate it a lot if you let me write about it!

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
I was thinking we could have a poll next magazine with a list of pokemon asking which pokemon is their favorite. The next issue we could right a page on that pokemon, why they are in their tier, some reasons why they are so popular, its stregnths and weaknesses, how to play the pokemon, and what kind of role it would take in a trainer's team.
That's what Featured Pokemon is, except instead of using a "poll", we're doing it for Pokemon in OU that have a large presence. Having a "favorite" poll would be pointless since we'd rather focus on a common competitive mon than someone's "favorite" mon.

Can I do pokemon of the month?

I would like to write about Azelf, since I've been using them competitively for a long time, and no standard team of mine goes without one.

I know many possible movesets, support, physical, special, revenge kill, many sets for Azelf.

I know how to use it, and I would appreciate it a lot if you let me write about it!
Since Featured Pokemon is a recurring article, we're not currently accepting submissions to write it. Also, to be quite honest, we're looking for more proven writers for the most important articles, and Featured Pokemon is definitely one of those articles.

However, if you have an idea for another article, feel free to submit a completed draft to August and me, and we'll look it over and see if it's Smog material.

I'd write with Kochalski... if he's willing
If you want to write an article with another person, contact them directly. We are not responsible for articles submitted outside of regular Smog writers- If you want to be in the Smog, figure it out on your own and send a draft to August and me ASAP.

Also remember that while your ideas are appreciated, we at the Smog are really interested less in ideas and more in results. Rather than posting an idea here, why not take a stab at writing it yourself? Even if your article isn't accepted, your idea may be used, in which case you will be given credit in The Smog even if your article is not used.

Battle philosophies perhaps? Seeing that Tactics and strategies is quite discussed often here in Smogon, why not speculations and probabilities on how an average Pokemon player thinks and reading his moves even before he uses them.

It's like Art of war, except solely focused on the concept of Pokemon battling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)