Platinum/HG/SS Battle Frontier and DP Battle Tower Records

Also, I got 35 at the stupid battle factory. I lost in the absolutely cheapest way - it was physically impossible for me to win. I was starting a new challenge, and here were my 6 pokes:
Tangrowth, Shiftry, Steelix, Lickylicky, Ambipom, and Muk.

In the first round, I was put against a heatran.

Heatran OHKO's tangrowth, shiftry, ambipom, and steelix with flamethrower, 2HKO's muk with earth power while the best I can do with it is explode which doesn't even KO, and 3HKO's lickylicky whose best option is return, which does next to nothing. The only ground move was known by tangrowth who would have been easily OHKO'ed by flamethrower.
this is the problem i've been having lately as well. I seem to either lose at battle 29 0r 36 due to the poor selection at the beggining... it does get annoying

god I wish you could keep your team from the previous round. Earlier I had a starmie that almost beat every single team by itself, and later on I got this awesome claydol, infernape, and regice so when I got the bad selection it was really annoying.

EDIT: I just got 42 on the Platinum multi-battle tower. I used:

Garchomp @ Choice Band
Sand Veil
252 Att / 252 Speed / 4 HP
Jolly
-Earthquake
-Outrage
-Aerial Ace
-Stone Edge

Pure power right here, outrage decimates everything that doesn't resist it, while earthquake pwns when I have a flying/levitating partner. Even when I don't, I might sometimes sacrifice my partner to go ahead 3-2. Aerial Ace is just filler although the one time that I did use it against a heracross, whaddayaknow, the person also had a breloom. Stone Edge is also filler, I pretty much only use earthquake and outrage. He can take a lot of attacks and dish out a lot of damage. The extra damage with CB is worth it IMO.

Metagross @ Leftovers
Clear Body
172 HP / 252 Att / 84 Speed
Adamant
-Earthquake
-Explosion
-Meteor Mash
-Bullet Punch

Metagross can take attacks from almost anything and return with a lot of power. Bullet punch takes care of low-hp pokes and helps add speed. Explosion isn't nearly as useful although whenever I get to 1v1 when both partners have died and I still have chomp explosion can be useful.

Most of the time I picked Marley because of her high speed pokes, even if she started with an EQ-weak poke like jolteon. Basically Marley's poke would go first and attack whoever for SE most of the time and STAB CB outrage would take care of whoever was left standing, although it did get annoying when my partner would do ~80% with an attack to a poke and then outrage would auto-target the already weak poke, a waste of outrage's power. Occasionally, I would pick Mira because she usually had levitators, most notably latios.

I lost because of my own stupidity. I had metagross out vs. a cursing umbreon 1v1 and I thought for some reason that I still had garchomp (he rarely died so I just reflexively assumed that I had switched in metagross), so I exploded. =( I feel really stupid because I had had two good partners and I didn't really lose because of any hax.

Platinum Doubles battle tower :105*

Gengar @ Focus sash - Hasty - Levitate
Eves :252 sp.att/252 spe/6 hp
T-bolt/Shadow ball/Counter/Destiney bond

Metagross @ Occa Berry - Adamant - Clear Body
Eves :Forgotten but max attack some speed and rest in hp
Meteor Mash/Earthquake/Explosion/Agility

Azelf @ Life Orb - Naive - Levitate
Eves :max SP.att/spe/6hp
Flamethrower/T-bolt/Shadow ball/Explosion

The Star of the team :
Honchkrow @ Lum berry - Naive - Superluck
Ivs :30/30/31/31/31/29
Eves :Forgot but will cheak if when im feeling less lazy,I think its the mixedKrow spread.I know it heas max spe beacuse of the fucked ivs.
Protect/Superpower/Heat wave/Sucker Punch

Krow basically deals with anything that resists Explosion and kos them and focus sash/band users.Works like a dream.
Inspired bu purplenurple42's Explosion team.It's Easy to use,Effeceint and fun.
*Will edit once it's over...
I stopped because I got bored of this team but will resume sooner or later...

Currently doing a doubles castle streak and am at 56 and will post once I lose or get pass 70.
Planning on going back to singles in the tower or doubles arcade but I first need to start breeding as Im running out of new pokes to use as Im getting bored of the old ones.RNG is to hard and I breed traditional style so wish me luck :(

just to let everyone know i decided on using bold uxie enough speed to outspeed all bt pokes max hp and rest in def as my lead. Along with an adamant return aqua jet empoleon and dragonite. It ended at 61 to a lead cb dragonite which dragonite died too and empoleon couldn't set up on without reflect. I am definently taking empoleon out of my team as it has trouble with too many pokemon.

Platinum Doubles Arcade: 78

Gengar
Levitate
252 Sp. Att / 252 Speed / 4 HP
Timid
-Shadow Ball
-Thunder Bolt
-Focus Blast
-Destiny Bond

Gengar pwns, even without the helpful focus sash. Even with focus blast's shaky accuracy, it still comes through (sometimes) in the clutch and helps deal with all those annoying ice pokes. Destiny Bond I use rarely but can be pretty helpful.

Garchomp
Sand Veil
252 Att / 252 Speed / 4 HP
Jolly
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-Aerial Ace
-Stone Edge

There's no SD here because it's pretty useless in doubles. Aerial Ace and Stone Edge are mainly filler although they aren't NEVER used. Generally turn 1 I'll have gengar attack an opponent super effectively and have chomp use EQ if I don't think gengar will OHKO because chomp will finish off the weakened poke and deal damage to the other one. If I know that gengar will OHKO, generally I'll use outrage to severly weaken the other one. While he is taken down pretty easily with ice attacks and there is twice the chance of encountering an ice attack, a lot of the time I can defeat my opponents without taking a single hit.

Metagross
Clear Body
172 HP / 252 Att / 84 Speed
Adamant
-Earthquake
-Explosion
-Bullet Punch
-Meteor Mash

Metagross was very difficult to take down, even with super effective non-STAB'ed attacks. Explosion was never really used, but I can't replace it because it would be difficult to get back again. Meteor Mash's subpar accuracy wasn't too huge of a problem, although it could miss in a crucial spot.

In the end, I lost to luxray, bronzong, and medicham. Yea, you're like "WTF? how could he lose to them" Well, one stupid word: FOG. fog is such a (BAN ME PLEASE)... every single possible important hit missed, and my opponent's attacks barely missed at all. In the end, I might have made 1 or 2 mistakes, but if there had been no fog I definitely would have won. Oh, and the CPU got a crucial critical hit. Surprisingly, I used this same exact team before with one minor difference - metagross was a lead instead of being the reserve, and with that team the best I could do was 29. By simply switch one poke, I got 49 more wins. Actually, I did get very lucky sometimes:

One time, it was metagross v donphan 1v1, and I won because donphan's fissure missed 3 times in a row (there was no fog or anything to decrease his accuracy).

Another time, all my pokemon were burned by the arcade panel and I was up against a legend team - latios, regice, registeel. Turn 1 latios went first and OHKO'ed chomp with ice beam. However, I got a lucky crit, killing latios with shadow ball while regice did ~70% to gengar with his own ice beam. Metagross went in. The next turn, I used destiny bond with gengar, and meteor mash did ~75% to regice while regirock killed gengar with rock slide so regirock died too. The next turn, I managed to pull out the win with metagross' earthquake.

IMO Doubles Arcade is THE most difficult event excluding the factory because you have no items and there's basically no way to abuse the AI because this is doubles. Also, you can't really use weather or trick room because items are a very crucial part to those strategies and help deal with hax, plus with only 3 team members there's less that you can do.

my new team has been working quite well, and has successfully broken the 100 mark in the diamond battle tower. i'm still going and have only had one battle that really had me worried. the lead was, of course, sticky hold gastrodon4. i won't divulge too much information but i managed a naked +2/+2 dragon dancing type that was able to get me through gastrodon, pokemon 2 that i forget, and around 60% or so of slowking. tyranitar cleaned slowking, no problem.

i'll be able to battle more soon so hopefully i can start pulling 14-21 a day instead of the 7 that i've been doing up to this point

For the sake of my rapidly-declining sanity, I shall not return to the Tower, or the Frontier at all, in 2010.

Basically, in a battle between 49 and my record, I got screwed by a PI using lead Rhydon:

Quick Claw, Stone Edge hits, also crits CritMagnet just for fun (would've killed anyway...)

Garchomp's Sub hit by non-QC Horn Drill, Sub again but he EQs, my EQ fails to KO so Chomp dies.

Quick Claw, Horn Drill hits Registeel.

Conclusion: To anyone who has passed 500 battles (Peterko, Jumpman16, probably Bozo by now...), you are f**king lucky. And how the f**k did Peterko last 2363 battles without such BS occuring until then?

In the Tower, Luck > Skill. I've known that for a long time, but........

screw it, I'll play some fun games. The only thing I still play Pokemon for is a real-life tournament next July (2010) in my city, where I intend to win, as opposed to being ridiculously haxed to a loss in the quarter-finals this year (2009).

Anyway, I hope this message doesn't come across as overly moody (kind of hard to talk about hax with a neutral tone), it's just that I probably won't have much to say in this thread any more.

I'll still be around Smogon though, since this site is FTW. Don't get much internet time though.

"Good luck" (smirk) to all current and future Tower/Frontier enthusiasts who still play it.
wow - that sucks! and dont worry, it really is about luck, and where you face your nemesis. i think peterko would be the first to admit that if that gliscor came along earlier the streak would have been much shorter.

if you feel like giving it up, then do, but make sure you come back! i think you can go way further than you have previously. see how togekiss goes, but if you find it dies too easily to some CH QC moves, then possibly consider changing to something else, even if someone has already done it before.

But maybe you can give Castle a try? You probably aren't going to be using Trick leads (but maybe that's a good thing since they probably get boring after a while anyway), but if you can think of a good team you can probably go for a long streak, making enough CPs to avoid potential hax by skipping battles or lowering opponents' levels.
thats two reasons right there why the castle is so much fun:

1. (cheap) trick teams are no use because you have to get back to full health and buy back your scarf every battle
2. you can take control of your own destiny by levelling down OHKO'ers.

and anyone who is going to the castle, the golden rule is "better safe than sorry". Don't think you can "get away" (i.e. not healing and not checking their pokemon) after every battle after 21.

I haven't been active much, some of you may know I was Llewellyn. Also my commiserations and congratulations to Peterko and Bozo. Both streaks were incredible.
i cant back up "better safe than sorry" enough - it is definitely the way to go. noone cares if you say "i lost at battle 50, i should have healed my pokemon, but hey i had 1000 CP".

Also, I got 35 at the stupid battle factory. I lost in the absolutely cheapest way - it was physically impossible for me to win.
more than anything else thats what i hate about the factory. essentially it can do that to you whenever it wants to. but it wouldnt just do it near the beginning when you dont care would it.....

my new team has been working quite well, and has successfully broken the 100 mark in the diamond battle tower. i'm still going and have only had one battle that really had me worried. the lead was, of course, sticky hold gastrodon4. i won't divulge too much information but i managed a naked +2/+2 dragon dancing type that was able to get me through gastrodon, pokemon 2 that i forget, and around 60% or so of slowking. tyranitar cleaned slowking, no problem.

i'll be able to battle more soon so hopefully i can start pulling 14-21 a day instead of the 7 that i've been doing up to this point
cool :) must be taking you a long time in DP!! slow moves/writing. interested to know what your DD'er is as i'm having fun with salamence :) PM me if you ever want to discuss DD tactics.....

also....

(double post i know)

my platinum BT streak ended on 459 wins. i am getting a new computer at home, so i will post picture + video when i am able.

i learnt something in my loss, so i will probably get back and try again some time, as i "shouldnt" have lost. yes there was hax as there really "needs" to be, but i now know a new situation in which i would do something differently.

basically i faced a set 3 trainer and their lead was yanmega (silver wind, ancient power, ominous wind, giga drain). all 4 moves are resisted by registeel, so in these situations, i usually dont even bother tricking it - switching in registeel, i know it will just use its STAB move repeatedly and then switch to an even weaker move. this strategy has served me well in many situations, essentially meaning i have latias completely intact, just in case something goes wrong with their second poke, and i can start again.

so.... it turns out that this yanmega has tinted lens (always a problem when your strategy relies on resistences), but to cut a long story short, it got several critical hits and an everything-boost, and unlike usual, registeel ended up very very low on health. in the end i was at about 20hp and, with 3 amnesias, it couldnt kill me (leftovers doing more than its attacks even with tinted lens, and the boost). it eventually did crit me, while i had done about 50% damage to it with a couple of curses and iron heads. i had to get it paralyzed so salamence would stand a chance, and i didnt want to trick it because boosted ominous wind would do too much. i had forgotten it had a lum berry, but i did manage to outspeed it and paralyze it the second time as it got a second everything-boost with the OW that KO'd me. now it was paralyzed, so i sub'ed hoping for a FP, but no such luck. when i was at 44/170 and still naked i figured i'd better just attack rather than go down to 2hp and risk weather/priority giving them a guaranteed win. outrage killed it thankfully (wasnt sure how it would fare with the defense boosts it had received) and the next poke was rampardos. i did about 95% and then it killed me with zen headbutt before dying to its life orb recoil. i saved the battle and will upload it to youtube when i have my computer situation sorted at home. looking at the initial screen for the replay, i discovered that the 3rd poke was luxray, so i would have needed a crit (even without intimidate non-boosted EQ does not OHKO). getting a sub up would have been awesome, as a DD'd outrage would have OHKO'd rampardos and also luxray if it didnt have intimidate, but yeah.....

so in the end, i know the loss was "due to hax", but it was hax that i knew was possible, and i should have thought of a way around it. now what i would do is trick the yanmega for sure. even if registeel lost to 4 consecutive silver wind crits, i could have set up salamence easily on struggle, maybe with a charm from latias to help. or even if registeel got up to something like +4/+3/+3/sub i would have been well on the way to a good position.

but i am happy for the moment. it was the first time i ever used that team, and it got me into the top 3.

DAWN - latias
timid - choice scarf
EVs: 252 HP / 182 Def / 76 Spe
Stats: 187 HP / x Atk / 133 Def / x Sp Atk / 150 Sp Def / 154 Spe
Moves: Trick, Charm, Thunderwave, Recover

same idea as peterko, but with slightly more speed, to outspeed neutral base 100'ers with no scarf involved. i almost always keep latias alive, and it might need to come back later in the battle and paralyze/charm something to allow salamence the opportunity to finish it off or possibly even set up. i think this is exactly the trick-lead i would have come up with if i had designed one myself. the moves are the best i can think of, and they work effectively in so many situations, and i dont have to rely on luck with flash (the main purpose of thunderwave being to slow them down). in short, i think the best trick leads have been used already, and i am doing this to try and do well, rather than "have to" use something different. in my opinion, without saying that latias is the best trick lead there is, i don't think there is anything that would convince me to choose a different one.

CLAW - registeel
careful - leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Atk / 146 Def / 12 Sp Def
Stats: 186 HP / 108 Atk / 188 Def / x Sp Atk / 189 Sp Def / 68 Spe
Moves: Substitute, Curse, Amnesia, Iron Head

my team strategy is based on resistences, so i can set up on something that will not hurt me. a steel-type is essential for that, and registeel is certainly the best that i know of. i have not changed this from the original (due to garo?), and have not thought too much about different EVs, although i have contemplated boosting defense more, given that it is easier to set up against special attackers thanks to the more rapid boosts amnesia provides. but it does its job every single time, except when it is dealt an uncharacteristic number of crits. most battles go like "latias used trick, foe used SE move, switch in registeel, GG".

CHARLIE - salamence
adamant - lum berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 6 Sp Def
Stats: 170 HP / 205 Atk / 100 Def / x Sp Atk / 101 Sp Def / 152 Spe
Moves: Substitute, Dragon Dance, Outrage, Earthquake​

i used this not to "be different" but because i thought salamence had amazing potential (and also various salamences have been some of my most reliable battle frontier fighters). this reaches amazing stats of 820 Atk / 608 Spe when fully set up. he takes more turns to set up than garchomp, but does not have to lose the speed race with things like timid starmie, mismagious, and various other things that can beat it when naked. and besides, garchomp and salamence usually find themselves setting up on nondamaging moves (the way i play them anyway). additional things salamence brings are:

1. better combined resistences - with registeel, electric is the only type not resisted.
  2. intimidate - this helps immesurably. if a lead is locked into a high powered move like brave bird or outrage, i can sacrifice latias, and then bring in salamence for the intimidate before switching to registeel. this makes a humungous amount of difference.
  3. ground immunity - if i am stuck naked against things like gastrodemon (you all know what i'm talking about) i can switch between steel and salamence. steel takes laughable damage from ice beam, and salamence takes nothing from earth power (without leftovers a total immunity is quite important). this also works on things with ground and rock moves, and here the intimidate is another useful factor.
originally i had only 140 speed (outspeeding unscarfed kingler being the idea behind this number), and 182 hp, but the fear of him losing in a one-on-one situation against something it "should" outspeed drove me to this. DrDimentio suggested this move, and was also helpful when i was considering whether to use dragon claw and roost instead of outrage and earthquake.

one other thing, i faced that gliscor as a lead only once during my streak. i didnt know which one it was at the outset and tricked it (would have anyway - i can stand 1/123 odds). its first two guillotines hit latias, and i thought i would die in a similar way to peterko. but the next three missed, so salamence got set up fairly well (with 3 DD's he is nigh on impossible to withstand).

another notable battle i actually recorded and will upload to youtube. registeel had easily set up on some random lead, and killed the second poke, when gliscor2 (with razor claw/fang, the crit inducing one) came in. then it went like this:

1. EQ crit, sub breaks. sub. (needed to renew my sub anyway, so this crit is unneeded).
  2. EQ crit, sub breaks. iron head, didnt quite kill it.
  3. EQ crit, dead registeel. i look up the list and realise it has ice fang. crap. i send out latias hoping it doesnt have hyper cutter, and select charm....
  4. ice fang, FREEZES! latias is frozen solid.
  5. ice fang KO's latias.
  6. in comes salamence. intimidate works - yes! ice fang does not crit, flinch, or freeze me. i cant remember what i ended on but it was enough, and i killed it with outrage.
i dont remember if that was exactly right, as i have a couple of battles confused in my head, but like i said i video'd it and will upload it at some stage.

more than anything else thats what i hate about the factory. essentially it can do that to you whenever it wants to. but it wouldnt just do it near the beginning when you dont care would it.....
Yea, if they're going to make it impossible to win, just do it in the first round to save everybody's time...

basically i faced a set 3 trainer and their lead was yanmega (silver wind, ancient power, ominous wind, giga drain). all 4 moves are resisted by registeel, so in these situations, i usually dont even bother tricking it - switching in registeel, i know it will just use its STAB move repeatedly and then switch to an even weaker move. this strategy has served me well in many situations, essentially meaning i have latias completely intact, just in case something goes wrong with their second poke, and i can start again.
I'm sorry you lost because of that yanmega because it was my partner in multi battles some of the time and helped me a lot.

Double Battle Castle Streak :59

Lead 1 :
Infernape @ Focus Sash/White Herb - Naive - Blaze
Eves : Mixed Attacking Spread
Overheat/Fake Out/Close Combat/Mach Punch

Lead 2 :
Ambipom @ Musle Band - Jolly - Tecnition
Eves :252 att/252 spe/6 hp
Fake Out/Last Resort

Pokemon 3 :
Milotic @ Leftovers - Modest - Marvel Scale
Hydro Pump/Ice Beam/HP Grass 70/Recover

How I lost :
It came down to Hydro pump missing twice in a row against a probopass who had thunderbolt which 2koed milotic.
The Three pokes I lost against were cradily - rhyperior - probopass.

Thanks to deutonometria or however you spell his name, He was the one who used this type of team first, Doubles Fake out...
Just Finishing Breeding a Bold vapereon and I have a new arcade doubles team in mind which looks like its going somewhere.

Jumpman16 said:
I commend you for using a poke no one has tried before. But you can either quit forever now, or come over to the dark side like Peterko finally had to and use a much more reliable Trick lead (he tried Persian at first) to get a big streak. I gave up on expecting much from "fun" teams two years ago, and someone with your signature wouldn't be faulted for having even less mercy on the Battle Tower/Frontier since you can't have your cake and eat it too.
Hey look, Jumpman commended me on something I did! See that, everyone? Anyway, my response to this paragraph is:

*hint hint* I restarted Pearl (my old file had 897 hours...). That was before Christmas though (I'm currently playing fun games I got), and before the hax battle I mentioned.

Miscellaneous said:
Also Dr.D, I would look into what jumpman said. This thread, although partly designed to help others, is competitive. If you want a high streak, no-one here will get annoyed or upset if you use "safer" options like garchomp, Scizor etc, or more reliable leads like Cress or Uxie or Latias. If you do want to be different, you must realise that you are limiting your potential streak in not using the best options availible to you.
*hint hint* I restarted Pearl. In fact, that's even more relevant in response to your paragraph...

Bozo said:
Noticing a pattern here? Set 3 trainers like to end high streaks... with a Flying lead. I faced that same lead (also knew it was set 3, and also Tinted Lens) with my Togekiss team, and I did Trick it. And the battle went quite smoothly. So yes, if you know it's that set then Trick is a wiser move. If you don't know the set, probably Thunder Wave in case of U-Turn.

but i am happy for the moment. it was the first time i ever used that team, and it got me into the top 3.
originally i had only 140 speed (outspeeding unscarfed kingler being the idea behind this number), and 182 hp, but the fear of him losing in a one-on-one situation against something it "should" outspeed drove me to this. DrDimentio suggested this move, and was also helpful when i was considering whether to use dragon claw and roost instead of outrage and earthquake.
A recurring event in my life happens once more: Helping someone with my (usually useless) advice, only to watch them trounce me at what I 'helped' them with! Also, w00t - I got credit.

By the way Bozo, it's interesting to note that you made the same mistake as me in your record post - forgetting to list the moves of your final, Dragon-type poke! Perhaps I inspired you or something.

Also, full shiny team for the win. I imagine the (almost) flawless shiny Registeel was caught in something like 2050? If so, then RNG abuse proves our world will be around for a long time to come.

Double Battle Castle Streak :59

Lead 1 :
Infernape @ Focus Sash/White Herb - Naive - Blaze
Eves : Mixed Attacking Spread
Overheat/Fake Out/Close Combat/Mach Punch

Lead 2 :
Ambipom @ Musle Band - Jolly - Tecnition
Eves :252 att/252 spe/6 hp
Fake Out/Last Resort

Pokemon 3 :
Milotic @ Leftovers - Modest - Marvel Scale
Hydro Pump/Ice Beam/HP Grass 70/Recover

How I lost :
It came down to Hydro pump missing twice in a row against a probopass who had thunderbolt which 2koed milotic.
The Three pokes I lost against were cradily - rhyperior - probopass.

Thanks to deutonometria or however you spell his name, He was the one who used this type of team first, Doubles Fake out...
Just Finishing Breeding a Bold vapereon and I have a new arcade doubles team in mind which looks like its going somewhere.
Good luck with this - double Fake Out might be more effective in 3-vs-3 that 4-vs-4 doubles. If you can get the double kill right away, then you're golden.

I have a few pointers if you're interested...

Ambipom shouldn't bother with Muscle Band, which only boosts its attacks by 10%. Try Silk Scarf for a 20% boost (since both of its moves are Normal), or Life Orb for 30%. Ambi is frail as hell, so recoil isn't too much of a problem: one decent hit and it's gone. Its best defense is to KO the opponent first.

I found that Sash was pretty much essential for Infernape. White Herb is nice for using Overheat twice, but it kicks in for Close Combat too - so if you CC something, you can't Overheat after. Defense drops aren't really a problem with a Sash - Ape can't really take hits in any event, so an 'extra life' is what you need.

I'm not sure about Mach Punch. Priority is nice and all, but it adds no extra coverage. The only things you would really need to out-prioritise are other Mach Punch users trying to kill Ambipom on turn 2 (Hitmonlee, Hitmontop etc), but you won't OHKO them before they kill Ambi (switch Ambi out of these guys). Definitely add another attack to Ape. U-turn is nice: if you predict a STAB Psychic attack on Ape, score a SE hit on the foe then put your third poke in the way. If it gets outsped (+Spe Starmie, Lati@s etc), then it survives with its Sash and you get a free switch.

Thunderpunch works nicely too, since you don't have an Electric attack on the team (Ambi's FO plus Ape's TPunch kills Gyara after Intimidate).

Finally, you obviously don't want Surf on Milotic - but Hydro Pump's accuracy is what let you down. Your Milotic is really nice, but it's not going to be at its full potential without Surf (or with lol Water Pulse).

I don't want to be all 'use my team instead', but Gyarados makes a nice partner for the monkeys. No monkey-spanking spread STAB, plus it makes a perfect switch into Fighting attacks with Intimidate. I'd try Waterfall/Ice Fang/Return/DD or Taunt @ Wacan Berry. Salamence might be good in this slot too.

Good luck!

i just lost at the battle hall with my porygon-z at 110 wins.

it was against a ryhyperiorwith a quick claw and i ice beamed him and he earth powered. then his quick claw activated and he used reversal...

Noticing a pattern here? Set 3 trainers like to end high streaks... with a Flying lead. I faced that same lead (also knew it was set 3, and also Tinted Lens) with my Togekiss team, and I did Trick it. And the battle went quite smoothly. So yes, if you know it's that set then Trick is a wiser move. If you don't know the set, probably Thunder Wave in case of U-Turn.
yes, i can say for pretty much certain that it would have gone extremely smoothly if i had tricked it :(

oh well, i'm busy with somthing else at the moment, but i will probably try this again later.......

A recurring event in my life happens once more: Helping someone with my (usually useless) advice, only to watch them trounce me at what I 'helped' them with! Also, w00t - I got credit.
hehe :) i'm pretty sure you solidified what i felt i "had to do" in the moveset choice, but you did tip me over the edge towards upping salamence's speed.

By the way Bozo, it's interesting to note that you made the same mistake as me in your record post - forgetting to list the moves of your final, Dragon-type poke! Perhaps I inspired you or something.

Also, full shiny team for the win. I imagine the (almost) flawless shiny Registeel was caught in something like 2050? If so, then RNG abuse proves our world will be around for a long time to come.
haha - the moves have been added now :)

yeah, its nice to use shinies - golden latias is so beautiful, and my green salamence loves sneering at the blue ones he occasionally has to obliterate. i can't remember when the registeel was caught though it probably is an odd date.

about your *hint hint* comments - you're catching a cresselia? or maybe a flawless uxie to use with your successful URG team?

Thanks for the pointer but im done with this team unless someone else wants to try it...
Here are my thoughts,

Ambipom shouldn't bother with Muscle Band, which only boosts its attacks by 10%. Try Silk Scarf for a 20% boost (since both of its moves are Normal), or Life Orb for 30%. Ambi is frail as hell, so recoil isn't too much of a problem: one decent hit and it's gone. Its best defense is to KO the opponent first.
Your right about silk scarf but Life orb is a no no beacuse you get less castle points if your not at full hp and I dont want to heal each round.

I found that Sash was pretty much essential for Infernape. White Herb is nice for using Overheat twice, but it kicks in for Close Combat too - so if you CC something, you can't Overheat after. Defense drops aren't really a problem with a Sash - Ape can't really take hits in any event, so an 'extra life' is what you need.

I'm not sure about Mach Punch. Priority is nice and all, but it adds no extra coverage. The only things you would really need to out-prioritise are other Mach Punch users trying to kill Ambipom on turn 2 (Hitmonlee, Hitmontop etc), but you won't OHKO them before they kill Ambi (switch Ambi out of these guys). Definitely add another attack to Ape. U-turn is nice: if you predict a STAB Psychic attack on Ape, score a SE hit on the foe then put your third poke in the way. If it gets outsped (+Spe Starmie, Lati@s etc), then it survives with its Sash and you get a free switch.

Thunderpunch works nicely too, since you don't have an Electric attack on the team (Ambi's FO plus Ape's TPunch kills Gyara after Intimidate).
I only used white herb when I new the opponents pokemon and they were 2 or 3 types which I could overheat for Super effective.
The rest it true but Mach punch helped me at times against foucs sash/band stuff...
I could try U-turn but im done with this team.

About milotic,Believe it or not that was the first time hydro pump missed but that was like the only time it was critical enough to use but yeah I probably would do better if it was gyarados.
Thanks for the input.

Im really confused about which facility to go to next but I guess ill figure it out.Just bred a really nice bold vapereon with ivs :
29/X/31/20-23/31/31

I wasn't going to mention this since I thought you knew and that's why you were using muscle band: Silk Scarf isn't an available item to be used for Battle Castle.

I wasn't going to mention this since I thought you knew and that's why you were using muscle band: Silk Scarf isn't an available item to be used for Battle Castle.
Ah, didn't realise there were item restrictions. I don't actually have Platinum (I'm waiting for HGSS), so I was just going on what's generally more effective.

Glad to see more people playing doubles around here!

I believe that I have achieved a record here, I am working on getting a picture, I will edit it into later.

I got 188 record in the battle hall in pokemon platinum.

I did this with my salamence nicknamed emomence

I used a sashmence, it carried focus sash, its EV spread was 4HP/252Atk/252Spe, it is adamant, its moveset was fire fang, earthquake, outrage and dragon dance, I usually outraged, except for steel types and abomasnow/snovers, on those I either used fire fang or earth quake depending on which. the focus sash allowed me to get 2 hits in, which outdamages CB.

I lost because when I battled a scizor on my 188th battle, I missed twice with fire fang as it KOed me with iron head and bullet punch, it went like: fire fang missed, foe used iron head, fire fang missed, foe used iron head, foe used bullet punch and I got KOed
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't scizor use this in Hall?
H411 | Scizor | Brave | Focus Sash | Swords Dance | X-Scissor | Counter | Bullet Punch | HP/Atk

Booya.

Tried Battle Tower for the first time with an EV-Trained team. I copied jumpman's Starmie/Tyranitar/Garchomp, and started over. Tried twice, failed twice (32 and 44).

I had some really hard battles which i didn't quite expect before 49 so I tried and checked the IVs of my pokemon >_> Results were kinda depressing:

Starmie:12/21/30/14/27/6
Tyranitar:28/13/12/30/2/3
Garchomp:9/0/16/8/5/8

As you can see... Not a single Speed over 10, Agressive stats below 15 (a f****** Zero on Garchomp ._.) I was also very happy about the 30 in Def on Starmie and the 30 SpA on Tyranitar... I mean hey, it's my Physical Sweeper, i need Special Attackpower desperately....

Well i'm gonna try and aim for 49 with this team.

My final Question however is, how do you get a perfect or near-perfect IV pokemon? With the Chance being "1 chance in 1.073.741.824 to find a Pokémon with max IV in all 6 stats."?

Thanks in advance. (does someone want to hear how Garchomp EQ'ed 99% of Electivires life and then died to Ice Punch? ... Well you get the Point...)

Oh, i have another Question. Can someone completely explain how Trick teams work? and why they work so fabulously good? (Congratulations on the 2k+ and 1k+ btw.)

well, first of all, if you rebreed those guys and keep say 10 of the right nature, then its almost certain that you'll get something better!

there are several ways to get better ones. if you want flawless, learn how to "RNG abuse" - just search this site for that phrase and you'll find info. if you dont want to do that, then search this site for "breeding guide" and it'll tell you all the details. basically, IVs are passed down fromparents in a somewhat random manner. so if your parents have a few flawless IVs, then chances are the offspring will inherit those. as you hatch better offspring, you can replace them as parents untilyou end up with reasonably good parents, and then each time an egg gets say flawless attack+speed there will be a decent chance its defensive stats could be good too. EDIT: how do you get a parent with one or two flawless stats? well, if you breed a whole stack of things from random parents,sooner or later you'll get a 31 by fluke. then match that up with something else and you'll get something with two 31's, and so on. another good way to start is to catch a whole stack of ditto's, and then hope some of them will have a 31 or two, as ditto's are good to help you get started with breeding.

as for the trick team question, the idea is that you first use trick to give a choice scarf to your opponent. it then uses its first attack, and you know it will be stuck using that until it runs out of PP and struggles itself to death. the main point is that your two other pokemon be chosen so that between them they resist virtually any attack, meaning that one of them can switch in safely and use stat-boosting moves until they are virtually invoncible and can sweep the remainder of the opponent's team. steel types are especially good for this as they have a lot of resistences (eg registeel, scizor, even skarmory to an extent), and these pair up quite well with some dragons.

"well, first of all, if you rebreed those guys and keep say 10 of the right nature, then its almost certain that you'll get something better!"
that'd take one hell of a time wouldn't it? O_o

Anyways thanks for your answers i think i'll try and read this stuff about rng-abuse =O sounds fun enough to give it a try.

Also thanks for the Trick team explanation things are a little more obvious. :D

Dubulous

I look just like Buddy Holly.
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
so i am now a firm believer that the level 50 factory is easier than the open level...the very first time i played i hit a streak of 45. maybe i'm just lucky (could be) but i didn't have to think much in any of my battles until i hit 35+. anyway i didn't save my rentals or record my progress or anything like that but i'll be having another go at it soon.

"well, first of all, if you rebreed those guys and keep say 10 of the right nature, then its almost certain that you'll get something better!"
that'd take one hell of a time wouldn't it? O_o

Anyways thanks for your answers i think i'll try and read this stuff about rng-abuse =O sounds fun enough to give it a try.

Also thanks for the Trick team explanation things are a little more obvious. :D
You didn't honestly expect something in Pokemon to be fast, did you? Most RPGs involve 'grinding' of some kind for rewards such as better stats.

Also, RNG abuse is absolutely not fun. You still need patience to use it.

By the way, does anyone think it would be impossible to get a high streak (as in, higher than my current 313 record) with a team that has no "fast sweepers" - as in, pokes that can defeat things without setup? I thought about a new team setup, you see......

As for me not returning to the Tower in 2010, that was not meant to be taken literally. I'm going all deeply philosophical on you when I say that.

Alright, I might be a new member on Smogon, but I've been a lurker for quite a long time, and I'm one of the better people on Serebii, so I figure I'll post my streak. I'd post proof, but I don't have Wi-Fi for a Battle Video code, and my digital camera can't take pictures of my game because it's a piece of crap :/

Platnium Battle Tower Singles Streak: 198

Team:

Spiritomb@Choice Scarf
Bold
IVs: 31/20/31/19/31/28
EVs:252Hp/76Def/180Sp.Def
~Pressure~
-Trick
-Grudge
-Memento
-Pain Split

Articuno@Leftovers
Bold
IVs: 31/8/31/17/31/31 (iirc. Not sure on Atk or SpA, not that they really matter)
EVs:252Hp/172Def/84Sp.Def
~Pressure~
-Sheer Cold
-Mind Reader
-Substitute
-Roost

Swampert@Chesto Berry
Careful
IVs: 31/31/31/12/31/0
EVs:252Hp/4Def/252Sp.Def
~Torrent~
-Curse
-Rest
-Waterfall
-Return

Team Strategy: The basic strategy was based around TrickScarf. Spiritomb would Trick the Choice Scarf, then proceed to use Grudge to make my opponent Struggle. Memento was for if he survived the lead, i.e. if they were locked into a Status move or something, as was Pain Split. Struggle allowed Articuno to come in and set up Sub without a problem, which she would proceed to Mind Reader and Sheer Cold from behind it. Swampert was for protecting Articuno's weak points, since he resisted all of her weaknesses. Articuno and Spiritomb's Pressure abilities were useful in dealing with Leads that managed to 2HKO Spiritomb, and Articuno more often than not swept the opposing team up through battle 100. After that, I started encountering more problems. Swampert was taking the brunt of opponents, and many Pokemon with Explosion kept showing up. Timely Subs usually saved me, but I was struggling when I reached battle 199.

How I Lost: 946 Latias was the lead, and two Draco Meteor's are all it took to KO Spiritomb, but I managed to Trick the Scarf, and I used Articuno to stall out the last DM, using Sub/Roost/Mind Reader/Sheer Cold for a KO, but the Sub broke on turn turn four, I believe. Then 780 Foretress came out. I knew Articuno wouldn't be able to hurt it, so I switched to Swampert, and the damn thing explodes in my face. I switched Articuno back in, and what should come out but 851 Aerodactyl? One Stone Edge, and I'm done. That was ridiculous.

Other Comments: Several Pokemon annoyed this team to death. 508 and 780 Foretress, all Skarmory, all Donphan, and 604 Magnezone. That one was the biggest nuisance, but Foretress caused the most problems. Leads with a powerful attacking move usually managed to 2HKO Spiritomb, but only the strongest crits managed to OHKO him. Most of the time, thanks to Pressure, the leads didn't prove to be much of a problem. Aerodactyl was the possibly the most dangerous threat, especially 851 Aerodactyl. Stone Edge was a usually 2HKO on Spiritomb, and it would have OHKO'ed Articuno. Whenever it came out late game, I had nothing to do but start praying.

If I've missed something, please let me know so I can fix it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 12)