DP Research Thread #6 (Even newer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kay, I was looking through the Serebii PokéWalker Pokémon/moves page, and found the following - anyone want to verify this?

Swords Dance Murkrow: Group B, Residential Area
Thunderbolt Tangela: Big Forest, Group B
Bone Rush Remoraid: Group C, White Lake

Dunno where else to post this, move this if needed.
I don't see Bone Rush Remoraid on there. Bulbapedia claims Stun Spore rather than Thunderbolt on Tangela (makes a lot more sense) and Haze rather than Swords Dance on Murkrow (either could work). Also, Serebii claims Leech Seed on Machop, but Bulbapedia claims the much more reasonable Leer.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
For the HG/SS Items update, there are a couple of things that need checking before I have all the info needed. First, How Heavy Ball affects the Catch formula. Smogon's GS page implies that the boost against heavy Pokemon is a simple multiplication, which is contrary to everything else I have found. Serebii suggests the following:
If the Pokémon is Less than 220lbs then -20, Between 220lbs & 440lbs then +0, Between 440lbs & 660lbs then +20, Higher than 660lbs + 30 -20, +0,
+20, +30
While Bulbapedia suggests:
Between 100kg* and 200kg*: +0
Between 200kg* and 300kg*: +20
More than 300kg*: +30
Under 100kg*: -30

The weights are the same (just different units), but for under 100kg they disagree on how much is taken from the catch rate.

Next, what on earth is the Rock Capsule? A few places mention it, and I've seen the sprite, but other than a load of uneducated guesses and random conflicting theories.. almost nothing. Even Bulbapedia does not have a page for it. Seems likely its a wi-fi event item of some kind, but that does not help much. I could put up a description of "Unknown", but surely someone here can find a bit more info than that. Hex is 0x0215 according to bulbapedia's item list, and only in HGSS.

And a minor point, if someone could hack a Rule Book (hex: 0x01AE) in DPP and see exactly what it does/says it would be nice.

And a minor point, if someone could hack a Rule Book (hex: 0x01AE) in DPP and see exactly what it does/says it would be nice.
It does nothing, from what I've tried. I think it just has a sprite and description, like the seal bag/red chain/magma rock etc.

It's not listed on the main Smogon Page, but I just did some testing with Shadow Force. We all know that Shadow Force hits through Protect/Detect, but did you also know it cancels the effect of the move, like Feint does?

Unfortunately, I don't have proof (I tested on my Platinum card in Cafe). Giratina hit Cressy with Shadow Force, then the Aipom hit Cressy with Swift. If someone else wants to confirm, they can. Or I could get another DS and show proof with a Platinum Battle Video.. should I do that?

It's not listed on the main Smogon Page, but I just did some testing with Shadow Force. We all know that Shadow Force hits through Protect/Detect, but did you also know it cancels the effect of the move, like Feint does?

Unfortunately, I don't have proof (I tested on my Platinum card in Cafe). Giratina hit Cressy with Shadow Force, then the Aipom hit Cressy with Swift. If someone else wants to confirm, they can. Or I could get another DS and show proof with a Platinum Battle Video.. should I do that?
I would've thought that was common knowledge actually. The game says that it breaks through Protect/Detect, just like it says for Feint.

I would've thought that was common knowledge actually. The game says that it breaks through Protect/Detect, just like it says for Feint.
Most websites just say it passes through it. Compare the descriptions on Smogon:

Feint said:
This move only works if the target uses Detect or Protect. If the target uses one of those moves, this move does normal damage, and the effects of Detect or Protect are nullified for the rest of the turn. However, the use of Detect or Protect still applies to the internal counter, meaning they still have half the chance to work the following turn.
Shadow Force said:
User becomes invulnerable, then attacks the next turn. Cannot be stopped by Detect or Protect.
It's quite the difference, it seems.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Can someone please test if Damp blocks Aftermath quickly? Bulbapedia says yes, but other sources I have found don't mention it. It was brought up in the small changes thread. If it's true then I'll edit Smogon's pages, if not I'll fix Bulbapedia.

I just tested it, and Damp really does block Aftermath damage. Golduck was not affected by a Drifloon's Aftermath after using Zen Headbutt for the KO, and I know the Golduck was Damp because it was still hit by Hail.

"This move works even if the user has no item."
http://www.smogon.com/dp/moves/trick

Are you sure?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3wOarA1lhk
At 1:44. My Item was removed from Knock Off. I used Trick, and it failed.
I'm going to guess that it had something to do with Knock Off. I clearly remember using Trick as a pseudo-Thief in 3rd gen and I doubt that would have changed.

I remember Knock Off not being permanent in-game, so I guess the game disables the item but it's still on the Pokemon, and that causes strange interactions with moves that mess with items. I'm willing to bet that a Pokemon with a Knocked Off item can't steal stuff with Thief/Covet either.

It has actually been known that if an item is removed via knock off, trick will not work with that pokemon. Any other case of a pokemon not having an item however, will allow trick to work. This shall be edited in the on site pages.

It has actually been known that if an item is removed via knock off, trick will not work with that pokemon. Any other case of a pokemon not having an item however, will allow trick to work. This shall be edited in the on site pages.
Ok, thanks, that would be helpful to explain.

I have a quick question, if you guys don't mind. I'm asking because I saw it come up in the SQSA thread. I looked through other research threads and did a search and even checked the site, but found nothing about this.

After a Pokemon uses Worry Seed, does the Pokemon that was affected keep the Insomnia trait after switching out?

No. All ability changes are negated when leaving the battle, much like attract, confusion, ect. This includes ability changes from Skill Swap.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If a contact move does 0 damage to a Pokemon with Rough Skin, does the ability still activate? To test: Endure at 1 HP with Sharpedo and hit it with a contact move.

If a contact move does 0 damage to a Pokemon with Rough Skin, does the ability still activate? To test: Endure at 1 HP with Sharpedo and hit it with a contact move.
OK just tested this out, with a help of a friend; brought Sharpedo's HP down to 1 HP, went into a double battle, made Staraptor use Aerial Ace on my Sharpedo as he used Endure, then after that, Staraptor's HP wasn't reduced, so Rough Skin didn't activate.

I've got a couple of questions:

1. If a Technician user uses a move that does reduced damage in a Double Battle, does the Technician bonus apply?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAn34IJfCuo
http://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/damage_formula
Damage Formula = (((((((Level × 2 ÷ 5) + 2) × BasePower × [Sp]Atk ÷ 50) ÷ [Sp]Def) × Mod1) + 2) ×
CH × Mod2 × R ÷ 100) × STAB × Type1 × Type2 × Mod3
The modifier to reduce the damage from moves like Surf in double battles happens in Mod1 while the variable BasePower stays the same.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1884855#post1884855

According to this post / video, Magic Guard blocks Toxic Spikes entirely. However, another user claims that they remember their Clefable being poisoned in DP. It would be nice if someone could test this in HG / SS for verification in the most current game. Basically, lay down Toxic Spikes, switch a Magic Guard Pokemon into them.
I just tested right now. Two layers of Toxic Spikes were layed and I switched-in Magic Guard Clefable and it did not get poisoned. So, yes, Magic Guard blocks Toxic Spikes completely.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hey, I was reading on bulbapedia that confusion damage (the damage dealt to oneself when confused) is a 40 BP Typeless physical move, so I was wondering, does the ability Technician raise confusion damage by 1.5x, as it would become a 60 BP move?

i was thinking about this question for quite a while.

If I used Magic Coat in doubles to deflect Dark Void, would both my pokemon be saved from sleep? Would it hit both opponents back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)