The pokemon ranger track of lights update

I am probably going to try scarftran with eruption, explosion, fire blast, earth power or dragon pulse on a vgc sunny day team. Personally, I think it will be a powerful thing.

Groudon+Heatran could be quite nasty. Especially since Groudon learns Lava Plume to activate flash fire.
Yep that's the one that I'm trying at the moment.
The only problem is...I have the heatran of shiny and perfect ivs to be ev trained but I don't have a groudon :/...

Head over to the wifi forum, there are a bunch there.

Groudon + Heatran should be good, I'm personally not into doubles, but I'm starting to get into it.

Head over to the wifi forum, there are a bunch there.

Groudon + Heatran should be good, I'm personally not into doubles, but I'm starting to get into it.
Back home, I don't have wifi connection so I just shoddy and I'm going back home tomorrow :/

Groudon + Heatran is actually awesome (I'd love to try out eruption on heatran though). I've been running Groudon + Heatran + Palkia + Zapdos/others. And back in japan and Korea, it did well...well decently.
Doubles is the battle style that I am really into. :D

I haven't used a Heatran in battles yet, but since I have one that can be used as a Scarf user, I'll try it out. From what I've read, Eruption will lead to more people using Heatran. I can't help wondering how powerful it will be when used correctly.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
At first I was ecstatic when I came here but then... Theory mon foiled my plans.
You guys raise some legitimate points about Heatran and Eruption.

It's got it's fair share of pros and cons. When building a team, I'll be sure to use a wish passer.

Wait, I read somewhere that eruptiontran can't learn explosion or earth power, is this correct?

If it isn't correct, heatran seems pretty viable for the doubles battle hall (eruption + explosion will take out almost everything, the only problems would be gyarados, salamence, and quagsire).

Wait, I read somewhere that eruptiontran can't learn explosion or earth power, is this correct?
Why would it not be able to? Earth Power is a tutor move and Explosion is learned via TM. This Heatran is able to be sent to HG/SS, so getting either of those moves won't be a problem. Unless I'm missing something, I don't see any issues.

I think that Eruption/Earth Power/Dragon Pulse/Explosion are enough for Heatran to do massive damage to teams, it's not the 4 moveslot problem ;)

@ Naxte: You're missing the fact that Heatran only has 4 moveslots
...Which has absolutely nothing at all to do with what I was saying. It can still learn the moves--nothing's stopping it from learning Explosion and Earth Power. That's all I was talking about--that this Heatran can still learn any move that Heatran normally can. I was in no way talking about it being able to put Eruption/Hidden Power/Earth Power/Explosion/Flamethrower all on the same moveset or whatever, but just clarifying that Heatran can still learn/be taught any of those moves.

In doubles uber I can see heatran being a new beast.
Some of the VGC '10 battlers (as I) have tested it and surprisingly it's not as good. We had expectations of reaching Kyogre's level of destruction but man we were wrong. For some reason, we have forgotten to look at some damage outputs with regard to the lowered damage outputs in the doubles...it's ok but it has been rather...average.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
That kinda puts a dampener on Scarf sets, however even with a - Speed nature ScarfTran can just outspeed the base 110s and anything below them. Lose out against a lot of the slower scarfers and base 115/120s/130s.

Anyway one thing I think a lot of people have missed is the fact that Eruption does not miss. Flamethrower is reliable, but even at 63% Eruption is just as strong. Fire Blast misses 15% of the time, does no damage whatsoever. Even at quite low HP Eruption will be a threat to Pokemon weak to it, or those that lack special bulk. At 33% you're still hitting with an effective 75 Base Power move off 394 SpA. Not going to be 2HKOing Dragons like a full power one can, but unless you resist it or are Blissey, you are going to notice it.

Both Fire Blast and Eruption are unreliable in different ways, however given many people's hatred of hax (how many matches have you lost due to a FB miss at the wrong moment?), attraction to the awesome power that Eruption brings, and seeming unwillingness to use Flamethrower:
| Heatran | Move | Fire Blast | 56.6 |
| Heatran | Move | Flamethrower | 24.7 |
| Heatran | Move | Lava Plume | 10.8 |
I think Eruption could end up as quite a common move on Heatran. But only on teams that don't need to rely on it's resistances.

Instead of forcing Scarf onto a Quiet Heatran, Specs Heatran should really be looked at. His ability to 2HKO the vast majority of Pokemon that resist the attack is devastating. Even with the -Speed nature, Heatran can still outspeed things like Swampert , Blissey and Tyranitar when it needs to.

Sleep Talk/Rest with Eruption probably won't be very big, but it is another way to utilize nature while having Eruption at 'decent power'.

I would say Heatran still needs a coverage move for low HP. 75 BP off 394 special attack sounds nice, but that's more like the power of an Azelf signal beam. Nice for a light hit, but really lacking...

New moves have recently been announced for Heatran, Entei, Suicune, and Raikou. A special Heatran, carrying Eruption, can be transferred from the new Pokémon Ranger: Tracks of Light game; however, analysis of the event data has revealed this Heatran is always Quiet. Meanwhile, in the summer, Japanese viewers who preorder tickets for the upcoming Phantom Ruler Z film will have special access to three Pokémon with unique moves. Suicune will have Sheer Cold, Raikou will have Zap Cannon, and Entei will have Flare Blitz. Owners of preordered tickets will be able to get their Pokémon between June 18 and August 31.
Entei with Flare Blitz has a some significance. He FINALLY gets a good STAB to take advantage of his rather nice Atk stat. Obvious a CB or a LO, together with SR, will make sure he dies fairly quick, but he can probably do some serious damage.

The other two obviously don't have as much significance.

Also, the fact that Heatran needs to be Quiet kind of kills the scarf a bit. The Specs is still scary though; you don't need speed to punch massive holes like that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)