Platinum/HG/SS Battle Frontier and DP Battle Tower Records

My streak in the hall ended because my DS froze (!) The hax in the battle frontier has no limits :P

wow, now the frontier has learned to attack the game system it self. who knows what it'll do next to end a streak? My moneys on a group of people who look excatly like the frontier brains grab your DS and smash it on the ground.

Hey I've been wondering... In the battle tower when you start a streak of 7, you ride up an elevator and then randomly go into a door in a row of like 5 doors. Does it matter which door you go into? Is the door picked randomly? Or is it just aesthetic?

^Not totally sure, but I think it's purely asthetic.

I had to laugh at this, my new BT team lost after 199 wins, one higher than my previous record. I'm aiming for over 200, so I'm not going to post yet.

Cute... cute!? I heard that word several times during the verbal body-slams exchanged by you and Jumpman. Also, Registeel club... Registeel club!? I'm pretty sure almost everyone uses him/it now! Well, the high-streak teams at least... seriously, how could any Trick team hope to get far without Registeel? The other common Steel-type, Scizor can't survive in the long run, being much more vulnerable to hax such as crits, freezes, etc.
i think peterko fails to realise how "cute" (or not) it is that he likes to show his manliness by strutting around as one of the more awesome members of a pokemon community lol :)

oh well, us aussies are doing ok anyway, even if our winter olympics team is a complete joke!

*Psych Up Magnezone at least twice vs. Registeel... luckily there's an easy way to counter it assuming your other non-lead member is still alive...
ive found that once a pokemon uses psych up, they will continue using it indefinitely. but in this case, iron head is probably a 15KO or something lol....

congrats on passing your record!

loved CBshuckle's rain dance team :)

aaaargh damn it!!!! I finally lost!!! And in such a stupid way, too!!!

Battle Tower Doubles Record: 265 - http://img402.imageshack.us/i/img4678v.jpg/

Well, I got second overall on smogon, which is fine with me since I know I can never beat TRE. Unfortunately, I didn't get to 300... Whatever, I still FAR exceeded my initial expectations for this team. In the end, I lost to a bunch of bullcrap due to some extremely bad decisions on my part. Here's the battle:

PKMN Ranger Elise sent out Armaldo and Skuntank!
Morgoth sent out Ludicolo and Kingdra!

Armaldo and Skuntank... I never thought that skuntank would run many speed ev's so I expected kingdra to outpace it, set up rain, and then have ludicolo surf on turn 1. Unfortunately, I was being stupid and impatient, and if I had used fake out on skuntank I would have won.

Skuntank used Poison Jab! Ludicolo fainted!
Kingdra used Rain Dance!
Armaldo used X-Scizzor! (doing ~60%)

Well, Skuntank went first (if I had actually checked I would have seen that 3 out of 4 Skuntank run max speed -_-), thus screwing me over. However, I've come back from countless 3-4 starts. If I had faked out, however, then Skuntank would not have been able to attack and so Kingdra would have still been at full health.

Morgoth sent out Kabutops!

Kabutops used Protect!
Kingdra used Surf!
Kabutops protected itself!
Skuntank fainted!
Armaldo fainted!

Now, I'm looking pretty good. I'm up 3-2, which is usually what happens after starting out 3-4. Then...

PKMN Ranger Elise sent out Mismagius and Ludicolo!

Kabutops used Waterfall!
Kabutops is hurt from its recoil. (Life Orb)
Mismagius hang on! (focus sash damn it)
Kingdra used Dragon Pulse! (doing ~35% to Ludicolo)
Mismagius used Thunderbolt!
Kabutops fainted!
Ludicolo used Giga Drain!
Kingdra fainted!

This was the second one of my bad decisions. Had I used surf or something with kingdra to ensure the KO on mismagius, I would have won. Instead, I assumed that kabutops would OHKO, not knowing that the stupid little ***** of a ghost had a sash. Once again, laziness attributed to my loss, since I was multitasking and had I been checking the lists on the computer I would have prepared for the sash. Also, this is kingdra being damaged earlier came back to haunt me, as it was weak enough to die to giga drain and restore ludicolo to about 80% and then gain another 6.25% from rain dish.

Morgoth sent out Latios!

Latios used Dragon Pulse!
Mismagius fainted!
Ludicolo used Ice Beam! (doing ~60%)

At this point, I had to take out mismagius and surf would do nothing to ludicolo, thunder was weaker than dragon pulse, and draco meteor would be bad, weakening me. Once I saw that it had ice beam, I knew I had lost.

Latios used Dragon Pulse! (leaving Ludicolo with ~15%)
Ludicolo used Ice Beam!
Latios fainted!

And, that's the end of it. As you can all see I definitely should have won, not losing to hax and instead my own misplaying angers me greatly. That's probably it for this team for me, you all can use it/modify it if you like, but as for me I'm moving on to different things now, it was fun while it lasted.

wow - thats a great streak!!

and it looks like you were not using the lists either (doubly impressive) or else you would have known that elise uses set 4 pokemon, so you could have known exactly which pokes you were facing (and therefore that the skuntank would outspeed you, and the mismagius had a sash).

i really like this team anyway, and i might give it a try one day (i absolutely love ludicolo).

Thank you a lot, praise from one of the kings of the battle frontier really means something. I used the lists sometimes when I happened to be in front of the comp but usually I played gameboy in the car (not while driving, of course) or while watching TV. I thought I had sort of run into most of the focus sashers - rhydon, gliscor, glaceon, heatran, weavile, and bastiodon - and didn't really suspect mismagius to be one, but then again, the CPU does some odd stuff like giving focus sash to a suicune.

Also, I must say I was extraordinarily hax-free throughout my run, although that is partially a byproduct of my games going very quickly usually due to the offensive nature of the team. I don't like using bulky slow water absorbers like vaporeon because they are just huge invitations to hax. As it is, all of my team members can do a lot and ludicolo's lum berry and kingdra's sash can help deal with annoying status/critical hits. I do hope you use it if you get the chance and see for yourself if you like it!

i think peterko fails to realise how "cute" (or not) it is that he likes to show his manliness by strutting around as one of the more awesome members of a pokemon community lol :)

oh well, us aussies are doing ok anyway, even if our winter olympics team is a complete joke!
Lol. Meh, it's only the winter olympics... and what's all that white stuff they have over there? Is that the 'snow' thing I've been told about?

ive found that once a pokemon uses psych up, they will continue using it indefinitely. but in this case, iron head is probably a 15KO or something lol....
I noticed that too, and so I switch to my Earthquake user since it will Psych Up and return to neutral stats, allowing for an easy kill. But once that poke was dead when Registeel had to face the Zone, so it was very slow even with a crit.

congrats on passing your record!
My record was no big deal - I passed your record too! I did almost 200 battles on the weekend. So even if I lose where I'm at now, I'll be in 2nd place since Peterko's epic streak apparently means nothing on the records list. So really it would be 3rd. I'm hoping to at least get a record of 1337, lol.

Peterko

Never give up!
is a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
actually I find it really nice to see the two of you supporting each other in that friendly way, that´s what I, the "sook", meant

I´m part of the registeel club as well, by the way ._.

Bozo said:
yes you´re doing well, keeping this topic at a high level with your streaks

lol we got a gold medal on the first day...our first ever, thanks to russian born (lives in slovakia for about 3 years now) biathlete anastasia kuzmina :)

Bozo said:
confirming this, I never switched out though

I spent the weekend breeding in eme and I simply couldn´t hit frame 2391, awful shit, even worse considering which pokémon it was and my general feelings towards it...around 5-6 hours on saturday (don´t remember friday) and another 7 on sunday

couldn´t take it anymore so I took the best offspring and bred in diamond, which took around 3 hours, because I had to resave a few times (I´m hitting my delay 622 pretty consistently, just needed an even frame - aimed for 8, got 5 and 7 and 5, then 4, at last)...spent the next 1 hour training and the next hour hall - testing...did fighting type rank1-10 four times in a row (I´ll probably do a lot more), I want to figure out the AI a bit before deciding on the actual moveset

so about 12-13 hrs of time wasting, just yesterday, ouch (would´ve been depressing if I hadn´t gotten any results)

D good luck, try not to choke trip before nice numbers

aaaargh damn it!!!! I finally lost!!! And in such a stupid way, too!!!

Battle Tower Doubles Record: 265 - http://img229.imageshack.us/i/img4678h.jpg/
Excellent work, dude! Glad you got such a nice team together. The one thing I would have said is to maybe give more speed EVs to Kingdra and Ludicolo: they outspeed everything in the Rain, but they're not so fast out of it. This creates openings for the AI before Rain Dance is used. But hindsight is always 20/20...

265 is a superb run, and I'm sure everyone here has had their share of 'WTF Sash?' moments. There has always been a Sash Mismagius, though: it's one of the pokes I just assume has a Sash, along with Exeggcutor, Garchomp and the ones you mentioned.

Don't know about anyone else, but I tend to 'overkill' things that have broken streaks for me before (regardless of whether it haxed me or not): Gliscor, Metagross etc. all get special attention to get them off my screen quickly. Sometimes it's a good way to play, removing a threat to the team. But sometimes it's just bitterness - for instance, I still hate Lickilicky for Exploding on my Togekiss in early 2007. Anyone else have an 'irrational kill list'?

^I would assume there to be slight differences due to the move tutors and stuff. For example, some movesets changed in between D/P and platinum because of the move tutors.

well this is my first day on batling in battle tower first 14 battles were really boring anyways I have 35 win streak from the first try and still didnt lost going to sleep now and continue tomorow

I am the second best double tower challenger of Smogon, and I can say that thanks to this:

I lost against a Slowking -_-
the whole battle I was outslowing it under Trick Room condition, and at the end it turned out Dusknoir and Regirock had a speedtie with the Slowking.
It was up +2 Sp.Atk/Sp.Def while it outslowed me with Surf and fainted Regirock and Dusknoir (crit)

I decided to head back into the Battle Tower the other day and I'm now to 63. nothing special obviously, but I'll make this my post in case I ever go anywhere. I mainly posted to share some funny stories

First off, a battle that shows A) why you need to keep your tricker alive and B) why I use Starmie as my lead: 78-50402-79031

Later on I faced what probably qualifies as my closest battle yet. I tricked something and ended up setting Registeel up. after I eliminated the starter I 2KOd the second pokemon as well, but lost my sub and was low on health due to two crits in a row. Then out comes Magnezone 4... yeah. Miraculously I actualy manage to stall it out of Signal Beams with Latias(SO glad I switched from Latios) and eventualy set up enough to KO him.

the next battle I faced what has become my worst nightmare, and drove me certifiably insane for a short period. Magnezone2.

EDIT:
I Lost at 117 which puts me tied at 24(I think)

Here's my team

Starmie @ Choice Scarf

Modest
31/x/12/31/31/31
6/x/x/252/x/252
Trick
Flash
Thunder Wave
Surf

Latias

Timid
29/x/29/29/31/31
252/x/x/6/x/252
Rest
Calm Mind
Substitute
Dragon Pulse

Registeel

Careful
31/31/31/x/31/31
252/x/76/x/182/x
Curse
Amnesia
Iron Head
Substitute

I'll probably go back to it sometime, but I want the black card :)

I noticed that too, and so I switch to my Earthquake user since it will Psych Up and return to neutral stats, allowing for an easy kill. But once that poke was dead when Registeel had to face the Zone, so it was very slow even with a crit.
yeah, that's the only pokemon i'd think about switching out of when registeel was set up. and still, probably only if zone was the 3rd poke. a question - if you switch out and it uses psych up, will it keep using it against your other poke? it'd be a little risky to try and do a few dragon dances only to find it attacking you.....

My record was no big deal - I passed your record too! I did almost 200 battles on the weekend. So even if I lose where I'm at now, I'll be in 2nd place since Peterko's epic streak apparently means nothing on the records list. So really it would be 3rd. I'm hoping to at least get a record of 1337, lol.
congrats man :) hope you get to 1337! actually, i've just gone past your previous record too. my progress rate is a little slower though!

i can't say why peterko erased his streak. but i've asked him and didnt get a reply, so i figure its best to just ignore for the moment.

I am the second best double tower challenger of Smogon, and I can say that thanks to this:

bad luck with the slowking :( but congrats on the awesome streak! do you have the info for that team written down anywhere?

@ peterko - perhaps it was another misunderstanding.

D good luck, try not to choke trip before nice numbers

so about 12-13 hrs of time wasting, just yesterday, ouch (would´ve been depressing if I hadn´t gotten any results)
I love it how my name keeps getting shorter! (good luck shortening 'D'...) Well I don't really focus on 'nice numbers' actually, but I would like to pass 1000 since 4 digits looks impressive when most of the others have 'only' 3.

It's a bit ironic that any hardcore Frontier fanatic would complain about time-wasting... for me, a weekend isn't a time to have fun, it's a potential 200 or so battles.

yeah, that's the only pokemon i'd think about switching out of when registeel was set up. and still, probably only if zone was the 3rd poke. a question - if you switch out and it uses psych up, will it keep using it against your other poke? it'd be a little risky to try and do a few dragon dances only to find it attacking you.....
Yeah, I've only ever switched out when Zone was third. I definitely wouldn't try setting up since I'm pretty sure it would go for Thunderbolt or whatever it has.

congrats man :) hope you get to 1337! actually, i've just gone past your previous record too. my progress rate is a little slower though!
Thanks, mate! (see what I did there!?) To be honest I'll be fine with anything above 1000... but I'll also be okay with any number from where I am now. After all, it's a new personal record. You've actually got me a bit worried knowing that's where you're at... even though I'm at least 200 over that old record of mine, it will hopefully make me concentrate more on battling. Yeah, you probably can't afford 200-battle weekends like me... but it's the end result that counts.

I've had some really strange battles but I don't reveal my team so yeah...

Also, this is quite interesting: I've seen many instances of identical teams being used by certain trainers. Like I faced a PI who used Glalie2 (Explosion, not Sheer Cold), Wailord and Forretress... then about 10 battles later I fought the same guy with the same team. This has happened with many other trainers. I assume that's happened to other people too?

Also, this is quite interesting: I've seen many instances of identical teams being used by certain trainers. Like I faced a PI who used Glalie2 (Explosion, not Sheer Cold), Wailord and Forretress... then about 10 battles later I fought the same guy with the same team. This has happened with many other trainers. I assume that's happened to other people too?
si

i've faced this guy a couple of times
Ace Trainer Lew using
504 | Jynx | Calm | Lax Incense | Dream Eater | Lovely Kiss | Perish Song | Mean Look | SpA/SpD
866 | Glaceon | Modest | Wise Glasses | Ice Beam | Shadow Ball | Signal Beam | Water Pulse | Def/SpA
464 | Walrein | Adamant | Chople Berry | Ice Fang | Aqua Tail | Swagger | Encore | HP/Atk

anywho, bt singles got boring so i stopped (at 700) for a while and i'm currently making a lineup for doubles this time.. deuteronopia's lead Infernape & Ambipom fake out combo (should be awesome)

Posted by DrDimentio
During my 451 streak (doubles) I faced some Ice trainers using the same teams multiple times. Combinations of Abomasnow + Lapras and/or Walrein + Lapras. I also used to face Shuckle with the same teampartner a couple of times which I forgot right now. Note that this was on Pearl, not Platinum.

Posted by Bozo
bad luck with the slowking :( but congrats on the awesome streak! do you have the info for that team written down anywhere?
Thanks and yes I do :)
I used the same team as my 114 streak on Platinum, info is found here:

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2357402&postcount=1609

Small changes were made tho:

Smeargle runs: Protect / Endeavor / Follow Me / Destiny Bond
Dusknoir runs: Trick Room / Rest / Night Shade / Brick Break
Snorlax and Regirock are unchanged.

Going to try for my Black Card!

It has begun!

My goal: Reach a streak of 100+ in Platinum Battle Tower Single using only legitimately bred/trained pokémon. No RNG. No Hacks. Just sweat and tears.

Yet another Trick Lead:

Gardevoir "Aura" @Choice Scarf
Timid
Synchronize (I'm glad this is what I ended up getting, it's helped me several times already)
IVS: HP: 5 / Att: 27 / Def: 15 / SpA: 31 / SpD: 30 / Speed: 31
EVs: 236 Speed outpaces all non-scarfs, except for QC etc
248 defense (max useful at level 50) to compensate for low base
24 HP

Trick
Grudge
Taunt
Lucky Chant (placeholder - to be replaced with Flash/Thunderwave or possibly Charm if I re-breed)

What's this? A Gardevoir lead? Really? Yeah that's right, since I'm breeding my team legitimately I don't really have options like Mespirit, Cressie, etc, but I think she can do the job. Typical use: trick first turn. if locked into something I can set up on, switch and go. If locked into powerful damaging move, spam grudge. If locked into bad status/charm/etc, taunt, switch, sub. This should allow me to safely come into struggle or another attack I can handle and set up. Last slot still undecided, each move has been argued to death but I'm not sure what would work better here. Experience isn't helping much yet either. HP and Defense EVs both pretty bad but it's been holding up well despite that - if I need to re-breed later I will.

Poison? Dark? Bug? HAH!

Scizor "Magnum" @Life Orb
Adamant
Technician
IVS: HP: 22 / Att: 30 / Def: 31 / SpA: 11 / SpD: 23 / Speed: 30
EVs: 252 Attack / 252 SpD / 6 HP (EV trained before I remembered they math out differently at level 50 P: )

Substitute
Swords Dance
Roost
Bullet Punch

A natural pairing, really, and everyone already knows how this works. Can come in on many of the moves Gardevoir attracts if it fails to force a struggle, and can stall pretty well with sub/roost. Considering grabbing some berries and switching from max spdef to max def, should be an improvement based on my experience so far.

The other Gar:

Garchomp "Tremor" @Leftovers
Adamant
Sand Veil
IVS: HP: 4 / Atk: 29 / Def: 29 / SpA: 2 / SpD: 9 / Speed: 30
EVs: 252 Attack / 250 Speed / 8 HP (For odd HP)

Substitute
Swords Dance
Outrage
Earthquake

It's deja vu all over again! We've seen it a lot and with good reason, it works. I actually tried running this guy through the Hall with a focus sash once he hit level 50, did fantastic at first, got through ice dark water steel and ground no problem (did face poliwhirl but hypnosis missed) then went into ghost and realized I had no way to handle shedninja. Oops. Guess that (and skarm?) is part of why all hall chomps have a fire move ^_^;;;;

I'm pretty new so any input would be great! None of them are quite at optimal IVs but since my goal is 100 (as opposed to say 1000) they should be good enough, might take a few tries though. If I really need to I'm willing to go back to breeding but for now I'm sick of it and want to start playing. I won't be able to post pics but I will be able to upload videos to the GTS and give codes for that. Actually set up the wifi in our apartment as WPA instead of WEP just for my DS >.>

FIRST ATTEMPT:
Lost on 42 because I misplayed and tricked a CG tauros (wasn't at computer so no list to confirm item). That being said, I learned a lot and think I should definitely be able to complete this.
19-79577-93589
SECOND ATTEMPT:
Played poorly against lead Muk 554 but recovered - and then lost to DT/Attract hax.
62-87645-32235

THIRD ATTEMPT (in progress)
37-83435-68908 (35) - THIS is why we always sweep behind a sub. Focus Sash + Counter would probably have lost me this one, but I had a sub up so it was (mostly) smooth sailing. After losing it's sub to Gliscor, Scizor failed to OHKO Metagross who then killed it, but I still had Garchomp at full strength to easily finish it off.

So far all of my losses have been from poor playing on my part, not from my team being too weak, so even though I still haven't even hit 49 I have hope that they can do this so long as I improve!

to be honest that team's going to have trouble dealing with anything with a high ATK stat. even if you bring it down to struggle there are plenty of things that will deal 25% to those two with struggle, and that means you won't be set up in time. usualy trickscarf leads are there to lock the opponent into a move and then the other two teamates take advantage of resistances and immunities to get set up.

@UltraSkydive: If you're just looking to have fun (i.e. not really aiming for a super duper high streak or anything), then I'd say Breloom is fine. I actually really liked using it in Battle Tower since it can pretty much beat anything slower than it (that doesn't have Lum/Chesto and can OHKO Breloom and doesn't have Insomnia). My experience with Breloom is that it should be Jolly with max speed. It shouldn't be taking hits, but it should be EV'd defensively so it can survive one neutral STAB hit or even one unSTAB 2x effective hit.

So, I'd use max speed, enough HP to get to a high toxic orb number, and then the rest in either defenses. You should definitely have leech seed because with speed and defensive EVs your attacking power is decreased, and really Breloom's main purpose is to spore and survive and kill slowly. Spore and Sub are necessary too, so you should only use Focus Punch or Seed Bomb. A Breloom with a sub up can at least spore (or leech seed) the next faster opponent before switching to a resist, which is always good.

EDIT: I've probably said this before already, but assuming no qc/bp/li/crit hax, a jolly breloom with spore/sub/seed/attack can take on Palmer#49 all by himself, and can take on all the Regis (except for the Chesto and Lum Regice), all Heatran, all Cresselia (at full health and 200ish HP EVs Breloom can take a Psychic from the Lum Cress), and all Suicune except possibly the Jolly one (the only one that outspeeds, whose Ice Fang doesn't even 2HKO a 200ish HP EV Breloom).

I do have mixed thoughts about pairing breloom with heatran in BT though. I never got extremely far with it from my limited experience. I got farther when Heatran was scarfed (but it lost much flexibility and even power). Having two slow pokemon (they're slow for BT standards) in a team of 3 is too risky.

EDIT2: Forgot to mention, Starmie destroys your team unless that mence is scarfed (but scarf in itself has its own issues).

I love it how my name keeps getting shorter! (good luck shortening 'D'...) Well I don't really focus on 'nice numbers' actually, but I would like to pass 1000 since 4 digits looks impressive when most of the others have 'only' 3.

It's a bit ironic that any hardcore Frontier fanatic would complain about time-wasting... for me, a weekend isn't a time to have fun, it's a potential 200 or so battles.

Yeah, I've only ever switched out when Zone was third. I definitely wouldn't try setting up since I'm pretty sure it would go for Thunderbolt or whatever it has.

Thanks, mate! (see what I did there!?) STREUTH!! To be honest I'll be fine with anything above 1000... but I'll also be okay with any number from where I am now. After all, it's a new personal record. You've actually got me a bit worried knowing that's where you're at... even though I'm at least 200 over that old record of mine, it will hopefully make me concentrate more on battling. Yeah, you probably can't afford 200-battle weekends like me... but it's the end result that counts.

I've had some really strange battles but I don't reveal my team so yeah...

pretty sure the psych up magnezone has explosion and iron head (and swagger i think lol) - its mainly explosion coming off +6 attack that i'm slightly worried about lol :)

well, congrats for getting past 500 - that is kind of my goal in this run. i was happy with my last streak but a bit disappointed it didnt get beyond 500. i'm still behind my old score though. actually (this is probably stupid) i've done the occasional set of 7 trainers using my salamence + suicune + blissey team - it just makes things go a bit quicker - hopefully it doesnt make me lose :/

i've never noticed an exact team replica, but then again, i dont pay a huge amount of attention to that kind of thing. with things like PI's, they have a much smaller pool of pokemon to choose from, so i wouldnt be particularly surprised in that case.

My goal: Reach a streak of 100+ in Platinum Battle Tower Single using only legitimately bred/trained pokémon. No RNG. No Hacks. Just sweat and tears.

Best so far just 17/29/9/23/30/31
that's a decent team that certainly should reach 100 wins at some stage (it might take a couple of attempts, so dont worry if it doesnt happen immediately).

do you know how to breed properly? ie with re-parenting etc, and how IV's are passed down?

also, agreeing with Chinese Dood about breloom - sooooo much fun to use! i had a great time a while back - its actually amazing how many things it can outspeed (at which point its usually gg). the main problems are faster sweepers, so if you have some good backup (say suicune + blissey) you could create a good team around him. another pokemon that i had heaps of fun with in the early rounds was umbreon (sassy, lefties, yawn, wish, curse, payback).

also, i've been alternating a bit between tower and castle, and thought up a new way to conserve CP using the lists. i used to identify each pokemon and then check their stats (total of 9 CP) and look up the moveset list to see what i was facing (in cases of more than one pokemon with the same item, it might be necessary to pay to see its moveset). but after seeing the three pokes, if they are somewhat random (like say magmortar, salamence, dewgong) then the team couldnt belong to something like an aroma lady (all grass), policeman (fighting/steel), etc. the team must belong to a trainer who uses all pokemon from a given set - so you just need to identify the first pokemon - if its a set 4 poke, then the rest are too.

not that anyone seems to care about the castle these days lol.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)