Creative moveset of the month

Is it a good idea to create a "Creative Movesets of the month" in the Smog magazine?

• Hell Yeah!

Votes: 121 91.0%
  • I don't think it would work...

Votes: 12 9.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Everybody knows the "new and creative moveset" thread.

Great movesets are posted there but only a few persons care to read it.
What about creating another section of the Smog named: "Creative movesets of the month" to give the chance to players who bother to create sets that actually work in the OU, Uber and UU metagame to show their work to Smogon's community.

I propose to create this section which would include:

-Creative OU moveset of the month
-Creative Uber moveset of the month
-Creative UU moveset of the month
-Creative LC moveset of the month

If no interesting posts are present in, let's say... LC, where the amount of players is significantly lower, we'll just have to post none.

The winner(s) could maybe see their moveset on the official smogon analysis!

So give your opinion about it and feel free to comment.

If no interesting posts are present in, let's say... LC, where the amount of players is significantly lower, we'll just have to post none.
Do you mean post no moveset for any of the tiers? That seems rather illogical.

I think sticking with just OU first and then expanding into the less popular metagames over time would be a better approach.

Starting with OU is a rather obvious thing to do.

The point with LC is that only a few movesets are posted for this tier and if no interesting movesets are posted, well... none can be chosen.

i voted "hell yeah" because in theory this sounds like a great idea. i think i posted something about this a while back, but idk.

i really only question the viability of this idea. new good movesets dont come around that often, and they are usually made by better players. someone good that has come up with a new and amazing moveset isnt just going to share it with everyone. he's going to make a team with it, and it will eventually spread through people watching his games. so i really dont know about this idea's viability.

Sadly, i have to agree with you, undisput3d...

People coming up with good movesets are certainly not inclined to show them to the community and thus, my idea is pretty screwed...

But if we look at all "semi-gimmicky" sets that were not obvious from the start, like for example Shuca Berry Heatran, somebody had to find it, and it's now a premium lead.

The point is, creative movesets come up everyday and a lot are invented in a single month. Moreover, the new sets will bring glory to the creator (not that it matters). So even if some players want to keep their sets for themselves, others will bring some pokemons to glory.

What I mean is that there will always be a good moveset to discover. Who knows what will happen if we don't even try?

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Not only is this an awesome idea...

We've already got something in the works similar to this. It wouldn't be "new" creative movesets, but just sets for popular Pokemon that are simply underrated or overshadowed by other sets for that Pokemon.

I didn't even know about it...

But how will it work? Will you lurk around in the creative movesets thread or invent them yourselves? I would like to have a bit more information about that (if it's possible, of course).

Heres my opinion on this.

I think its a good idea, but I still don't think it would work. Obviously, a line would need to be drawn between gimmicky and innovative. But, if I find a truly effective set that no one knows about, I don't want it being posted in the Smog. I'm going to exploit it for everything it's worth. By the time its become ineffective, just about everyone knows about it anyways. So whats the point of putting it in the Smog?

i voted "hell yeah" because in theory this sounds like a great idea. i think i posted something about this a while back, but idk.

i really only question the viability of this idea. new good movesets dont come around that often, and they are usually made by better players. someone good that has come up with a new and amazing moveset isnt just going to share it with everyone. he's going to make a team with it, and it will eventually spread through people watching his games. so i really dont know about this idea's viability.
The thing is that good players still reveal their great ground-breaking movesets. They just don't do it straight away. Heysup's RMT is one that fits this. It had one very viable original moveset and another set with a unique spread iirc. The team had run it's course and Heysup shared it. If more of the better players did this then it would be a very plausible and viable idea. Once a player has run with the set and people are starting to see it then what do they have to lose by posting it. People are starting to know about it anyway. The other thing is that this isn't like pro sports or something where a great tactic is the key to making you living. What I am trying to say is that it is just selfish to be keep this kind of thing secret indefinantly. I think i have strayed from the topic, but you know what I'm saying.

Back to topic.
If this were to be a section then I would propose that the RMTs be lurked as well so that a wider drawing can be achieved thus making it more likely to find a great moveset.
That's just my two cents worth.

UncleSam

Leading this village
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I never understood why RMT's got so much attention and individual new movesets didn't. As such, I think this is an awesome idea and I am glad that something similar to this is in the works.

Alternatively, an article could focus on a moveset. For example, an article on SubPunchers or an article on RestTalk sets.

Not only is this an awesome idea...

We've already got something in the works similar to this. It wouldn't be "new" creative movesets, but just sets for popular Pokemon that are simply underrated or overshadowed by other sets for that Pokemon.
There's a big difference between underrated sets on Overused pokemons and new good sets for underrated pokemons.

And for beastatpokemon, try to post your Anti Lead Togekiss to the new and creative movesets thread (if it's not done already) and if the thing work, well... we'll see about that.

This is a totally cool idea. Many players, myself included, have often ridiculed the NCMS thread (for good reason), but its worth noting that good things, such as RPDon, have come out of it. Anything that publicizes such things is worth writing about.

I feel like I should emphasize SDS's post here in case people get their hopes up regarding the article. It will not be focused on any new or creative moveset. Instead it looks at a set that has probably been around for a long time but isn't used much and is overlooked for some reason or another. Writing about NCMS is an interesting and similar idea but it isn't part of this column, at least for the upcoming issue.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Also, pretty much every "good" set has been discovered by now. "Creative" is just another way of saying "subpar" for the most part. I'm not saying that they're not out there, but the amount of viable and useful "new and creative movesets" are extremely low, and definitely not plentiful enough to be a "featured article".

The only time new movesets come around is when Pokemon get new moves for the most part.

The only case where this does NOT apply is the UU metagame where certain Pokemon that have been relatively unexplored due to either being BL or guttertrash OU for so long (or are viable NFEs) can have new movesets arise out of them, but that's more a "metagame maturity" deal rather than a "creativity" deal.

Then again, I might be interested in something that is more geared toward "Anti-Metagame Movesets", which would focus on movesets that aren't especially stellar in general, but really excel in the current iteration of whichever metagame they are used in. Stuff like Bulky Froslass, which is great in a stall-based metagame where its mediocre defenses can actually stand up to the weak offenses of the metagame. However, faster and stronger teams tend to rip it apart, and in a less stall-oriented metagame it's kinda less good. However, I'd have to look into that with more detail before I backed it as a major article.

Yeah, you're probably right, SDS.

Well, I didn't post this idea because I want it in the Smog NOW, just because I saw the numerous (and for the most part, ignored) posts in the NCMS thread and there are so much sets completely forgotten that could work in the metagame...

Maybe not metagame-changing, but good enough to take some pokes out of BL (*cough*shaymin*cough*) or even UU. The goal of creating new sets is to explore new possibilities for pokemon that are outclassed (Gallade/Lucario) so they could find a niche for themselves.

Examples of creative sets include Shuca Heatran and (even if it's long ago) ChainChomp. Nobody expected Garchomp to be mixed because of its already huge Attack and poor Sp Atk and movepool.

So even if you have good arguments, I think it is a viable idea, if somebody only care to discover new movesets instead of copying (I don't say it's not okay, since standards are standards for a reason) and have the good idea to share it.

This is an incredibly very good idea.
I think it would make people make more creative sets, just to appear in the smog.

I think this is a great idea. But SDS is probably right about most the good sets being discovered, but hey, you can always find more sets to play around with. I made a thread for creative movesets on another site, and it's working out great. Sure, some of the movesets suck on them, and some good, but it's still worth a shot.

Wow!

More than a hundred votes! Thanks for support everyone!

That being said...

25 posts, including 8 by me... You could be more communicative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)