Pokemon Black & White, aka Gen 5. Coming to Japan in Fall 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe it all has a story behind it, like Slowbro and Slowking getting Shellders attached to their bodies when they evolve
The story of Machops going on pilgrimmages to acquire training pants and also needing to find belts to make sure they can control their muscles. ... Yeeah, some things shouldn't even need an answer.

Anyone check the Patents on these, for the title?
Honestly, it really doesn't matter what names have been patented as of late, since usually, GF doesn't even use 'em. They're really placeholders to prevent people from using the names and writing them off as Pokémon game names, and reaping the profits, whatever they are.

+ The OP made a post about said names already.

I think the legionaries will be like back in Red and Blue w/ Mewtwo. It has no magical powers, but an odd back-story behind it and twice as much power than real Pokemon.

What you said about Grotle "swallowing it's own attack" can be used. You can sacrifice 1 PP from one of you attacks/Skip a turn to gain some strange side effect, like doubling it's next attack.

If they pull another Ruby/Sapphire I'll be pissed. I like to use my favorites, even if they have low stats(which doesn't always make a pokemon suck(Breloom/Smeargle anyone, how bout Flygon) They can balance the game without shrinking. Just because you feel the game is too coplicated doesn't mean it is.
Oh no, I do agree that it should be more complex, definatly. But in the sense that it requires skill, not luck.

Somebody should have pointed that before, but don't you think this announcement is too premature? HG/SS wasn't even released on America and they're talking of a new generation? That's huge.

FR/LG, for instance, was released on 2004. Emerald on 2005. DP on 2007. Players had some time to enjoy their games instead of thinking how soon they'll get outdated.

I see what you mean about the time difference and not being able to enjoy the experience, but DP has been out for 4 years now, and while Pt and HGSS have added to the experience, they're still essentially the same Pokémon. HGSS will have been released probably for the older fans of the series, to either get people maybe back into the franchise a little, just for the sake of nostalgia. I live in the UK so I have to wait slightly longer to get HGSS, and I know when the time comes I'll have to wait even longer for the 5th gen, where as Japan have had HGSS for 5 months now. I doubt they'll mind a New new game coming out in about 7 months because the majority probably bought HGSS for nostalgia, rather than something new.

I see what you mean about the time difference and not being able to enjoy the experience, but DP has been out for 4 years now, and while Pt and HGSS have added to the experience, they're still essentially the same Pokémon. HGSS will have been released probably for the older fans of the series, to either get people maybe back into the franchise a little, just for the sake of nostalgia. I live in the UK so I have to wait slightly longer to get HGSS, and I know when the time comes I'll have to wait even longer for the 5th gen, where as Japan have had HGSS for 5 months now. I doubt they'll mind a New new game coming out in about 7 months because the majority probably bought HGSS for nostalgia, rather than something new.

I see your point, but there's a significant difference: As soon as the new games are released on Japan, tons of people, specially smogoners, will import it - the way it was with DP.

The difference is: Emerald was released one year and a half years ago, so people have already played thoroughly. HG/SS will still be a new for most western players when some other hardcore western players will be playing the news games. I can see a gap.

Something that would lower this gap: pokemon from 4th gen being able to be transferred to 5th gen. I really hope that happens.

If the gen V comes out in December 2010 (which it won't), HG/SS will have been out for over a year in Japan.

I doubt they're going to speed up the process in America. It'll probably be about the same time-gap from HG/SS to gen V.

A year is more than enough time to beat Pokemon, if you ask me.

Somebody should have pointed that before, but don't you think this announcement is too premature? HG/SS wasn't even released on America and they're talking of a new generation? That's huge.
It feels that way, but when you actually look at the release dates - especially the Japanese ones - it's really not

I don't know if they considered the western release dates of HG/SS when the announced Gen 5 in Japan, but the timing seems good - close enough to create general Poke-hype, but not so close to the HG/SS releases that they're overshadowed.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
The problem is that they were announced so suddenly. Before D/P, we had a few years to speculate on the new gen. Munchlax was revealed a few years before, so was Wailmer/Kecleon, and Donphan/Lugia/Elekid/etc. We have a brand new gen announced like a spin-off in the same year of release and it makes it feel a bit hasty.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Oh no, I do agree that it should be more complex, definatly. But in the sense that it requires skill, not luck.
Don't know about this. Between good players, it pretty much comes down to luck a lot of the time. When there are 2 or 3 outcomes that are equally intelligent (this happens a lot), it's impossible to know which route your opponent will follow, and it pretty much comes down to a coin flip.

If you play pokemon, you have to accept this fact.

FR/LG, for instance, was released on 2004. Emerald on 2005. DP on 2007. Players had some time to enjoy their games instead of thinking how soon they'll get outdated.
Maybe in the US (and even then, it was less than a year--FR/LG came out in September 2004 in the US, and Emerald in May 2005). However, in Japan, they were released in the same year--FR/LG was released in January 2004 and Emerald in September of the same year. Now that was quick.

En_Fuego said:
If the gen V comes out in December 2010 (which it won't), HG/SS will have been out for over a year in Japan.

I doubt they're going to speed up the process in America. It'll probably be about the same time-gap from HG/SS to gen V.

A year is more than enough time to beat Pokemon, if you ask me.
Not sure what you mean here. Right now, the expected release date for the Gen V games is late 2010 (most likely around August or September though, as that's when the previous titles have been released):
http://www.pokemon-movie.jp/zoroark/index.html#/zoroark

Age of Kings said:
The problem is that they were announced so suddenly. Before D/P, we had a few years to speculate on the new gen. Munchlax was revealed a few years before, so was Wailmer/Kecleon, and Donphan/Lugia/Elekid/etc. We have a brand new gen announced like a spin-off in the same year of release and it makes it feel a bit hasty.
No, it's not hasty. We're just used to there being a two-year gap in between generations and getting lots of promotion for it beforehand. However, Gen IV has lasted just as long as any other generation (about 4 years), and is at the longer end at that. However, this time, for whatever reason, Game Freak just put that two-year gap in between DP and Platinum instead for some reason. Beyond that, Nintendo's just toning down the promotion on Gen V, as they've been doing with some of their other titles, preferring to promote closer to the release dates.

Generation 5 won't come out for a while in the Americas. Probably around he same time HG/SS come out in 2011. As far as the Japanese know, Americans are clueless. You also have to keep in mind they probably only have 4 -5 Generation V Pokemon created.

Not sure what you mean here. Right now, the expected release date for the Gen V games is late 2010 (most likely around August or September though, as that's when the previous titles have been released):
I meant to say something more like "If it comes out in December at the latest (which it won't)..."

my bad

edit:

tbh, they're releasing Gen. V on the tail-end of Gen. IV remakes. The remakes really don't add much to competitive gaming (except some pokes can learn new moves). Really, playing through HG/SS is for fun. I don't see a problem with releasing Gen. V "this soon" (whether it's really that hasty or not). I think it's a good idea on Nintendo's part. I'm already bored with english versions of HG/SS :P

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I'll laugh when they give Draceon 130/x/110 offense and have its best stab attack be dragon pulse.
Draco Meteor and Outrage. It MUST have these two moves.

Generation 5 won't come out for a while in the Americas. Probably around he same time HG/SS come out in 2011. As far as the Japanese know, Americans are clueless. You also have to keep in mind they probably only have 4 -5 Generation V Pokemon created.
Do you really think they have only a handful GenV pokémon created as of now?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
They probably had the entire Gen V Pokedex finalized by the time Platinum was released.

They do this stuff WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY in advance.

Game Freak will have LOADS of Pokemon designs. It won't be that they only have a handful of Gen 5 Pokemon, but rather that they have TOO MANY - they need to decide which get in and which don't. They will likely also make tweaks to designs. I don't think they'll have the whole Gen 5 list finalised yet. Not least because once you finalise it, you open yourself to leaks.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if some of the 4th Gen Pokemon had been conceived even before Red and Green were released.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Yeah that would make the most sense from a business standpoint. Get it all ready ahead of time, and then release it when it's most profitable.

On the other hand, when it comes to games, a game that's done and not being released is reducing in value, because of the constant rise in graphical detail. This is less the case on the DS admittedly, since many DS games place little importance on graphical detail. But even so - you sit on a game, and you risk a competitor releasing something that thoroughly betters it.

On the other hand, when it comes to games, a game that's done and not being released is reducing in value, because of the constant rise in graphical detail. This is less the case on the DS admittedly, since many DS games place little importance on graphical detail. But even so - you sit on a game, and you risk a competitor releasing something that thoroughly betters it.
The Pokemon genre has been completely monopolized. They have a safe market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)