Pokemon Black & White, aka Gen 5. Coming to Japan in Fall 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair... when was the last time either of these were made? Don't need to get rid of that which is already dead.

Or so much common sense that it's obvious when the PC-thugs are going to go after it.

I think this would have even more trouble than Black and White. First, there's potential copyright issues with the song. Next, said song often has the connotation of being about black and white people (even if lyrical purpose is about the keys of a piano).
Black and white photography and films are still made today, because composition is a lot harder on them, and someone who is proficient at either is superior to someone who films or photographs in color. Just because you don't think they make it anymore doesn't mean it isn't made anymore. Just watch, it'll still be Pokemon Black and White in America, too.

i want them to speed up the text hold ups, especially during battle...i.e instead of it sayings ' it continued to rain' after each move, the graphics just showed that it was raining so it wasnt an extra button press or wait between turns.

id also like to see more of a ATB turn guage, like FFVII, where the speed stat dictates the rate the bar increases...so the game wouldnt be as rigidly turn based as it is now.

battles basically need speeding up, they are quite cumbersome currently. the text after each shot could pop up on the screen but not require a button press for it to dissapear or scroll onto the 2nd line of 'such and such a pokemon...something something attack....'

obviously moving battles would be ideal with 3d polygons but if thats not possible they could easily do the above 'uncomberment' of battling with the current setup.

a more fluid 3d direction for me would be the ideal next gen pokemon

personally, i love the turn-based mechanism of the game.
I feel like it's one of the charms that makes pokemon likable by those (many) play it.
however, i'd love the 3d aspect of the game.
personally, i'd like to have something like pbr looks

okay even if you like turn base - why does GF make u press buttons to scroll trhough text mid battle? i would like it sreamlining so u just have to click attack or bag or whatever, not have to A A A A my way through somebody hit somebody with something, and its raining.. just do it faster!

that's true
but iono never thought of it was a major problem
in fact i would be happy with everything staying the same if they just added the 3d material and 3d battles like pbr that would make me go nuts

I think the sprites are charming while the Pokemon 3D models can often appear bland and clunky.
On top of that, DS 3D is rudimentary with even the better looking games looking primitive.
But, since Pokemon is very much about exploration, a fully 3D world would work well with the gameplay.

The current games fo the route of having a 3D world with 2D pokemon battles which works quite well.
But can they reuse than same engine a fourth time and still produce a sense visual freshness and innovation?
I have my doubts about that while being a bit nervous about the alternative: change.

Black and white photography and films are still made today, because composition is a lot harder on them, and someone who is proficient at either is superior to someone who films or photographs in color. Just because you don't think they make it anymore doesn't mean it isn't made anymore. Just watch, it'll still be Pokemon Black and White in America, too.
Black and white was chosen because that's the physical property of the item: there's no name that anyone chose. It's black and white because that's just how the negative is. There's nothing that the ACLU or whoever can do about that.

Nintendo can change the name of Black and White to something else. Another thorny issue is what Pokemon they choose to lead on the covers. The other guy (sorry, forgot the name) said that Megaman was changed to "White and Blue" so there is precedent for doing so to avoid controversy.

I wouldn't be so sure that Black and White is guaranteed in America.

I'm worried that the "innovations" they add will be a change for the worse. "Innovations" could refer to are to things other than basic game play; it could refer to the way exploring is handled, the flow (fight trainers, level up, get badge, repeat) or whatever.

also, given the fact that they have spin-offs that have drastically different game play already, I find it odd that they would change the main games game play when they could make another spin-off and see how people respond first. That makes me think (or at least hope) that the game play won't be effected much. maybe in the same amount that RSE to DPP was, with the Attack split.

Black and white was chosen because that's the physical property of the item: there's no name that anyone chose. It's black and white because that's just how the negative is. There's nothing that the ACLU or whoever can do about that.

Nintendo can change the name of Black and White to something else. Another thorny issue is what Pokemon they choose to lead on the covers. The other guy (sorry, forgot the name) said that Megaman was changed to "White and Blue" so there is precedent for doing so to avoid controversy.

I wouldn't be so sure that Black and White is guaranteed in America.
That's capcom, not Nintendo. Nintendo's lawyers and PR guys are loads better than Capcom's. The only precedent for name change in America is Red and Green, and only because the versions we really got were both Blue.

Besides, it'd be just as much if not more of a nightmare if Nintendo changed it to White and something else and everyone started saying they were racists because they hate black.

Also, TPC and TPCi work pretty closely, and it seems like they'd want strong internal consistency. If TPCi thought Black and White would be a huge problem, they'd probably have gone with different names in Japan, too.

What good are lawyers if you can't afford them because no-one is buying the games bceause they have been banned due to racism. Okay thats a BIT extreme but not that far off of what could happen. (seriously they changed the game corner wtf).
That said Ebony and Ivory could be really neat.

lol EBONY and IVORY is less racist than black and white? ;p you white boys need to get a grip, because the words white and black ARE NOT racist! there's been PLENTY of games already called BLACK and WHITE!

Urgh, did we really just have an American censorship discussion about something being called Black and White? I have a Michael Jackson song, a vaguely high class female clothing store, and a form of image rendering I'd like to introduce you to, among others.

That being said, a return to basic colors along with this touted "revolution" has gotten me intrigued. Maybe a version of that pre-RBY "Sepia edition" that gets kicked around the internet?

lol EBONY and IVORY is less racist than black and white? ;p you white boys need to get a grip, because the words white and black ARE NOT racist! there's been PLENTY of games already called BLACK and WHITE!
this Though, like I said before, America overreacts way too much and Europe overreacts ever more. Just look at Jynx and Registeel.

the fact that there is already a computer game, quite popular i might add, called black and white.. if it was spanish and called negro and blanco it might be changed, otherwise i dont think so

Bets on these getting name changes in the west? To either Shadow/Light, Granite/Marble, Moon/Sun, etc? How PC do we think they'll try and get?
That was my first thought too. Release the games with those names in the west, there's going to be accusations of racism (even though such accusations would be ridiculous).
Other than racism, saying the names together is a bit of a problem as has been mentioned. "Pokemon Black and White" "What? Why is it in black-and-white?" I don't know if that term exists in the same way in the Japanese language, if not, maybe we're more likely to see a name change for the western market.

The names would suggest a simplicity, a return to roots as it were. That would build on the nostalgia stoked by HGSS. However, it goes against what Game Freak have said about Gen 5 being totally new. Though the simple names might fit that with the idea of being like a 'reboot'. I guess we'll see.

Noir and Blanc could be good changed names, but they give a VERY different impression. Noir conjures up film noir (something I know very little about tbh).

And yeah, I used to use "Pokemon Black" to refer to the TCG GBC game. Not any more :-(

You guys think of Black and White with a bit wrong meanings. They means evil and good in OUR culture (as something to similar to Dark and Light a bit), in Japan it is a bit... opposite. Black in Japan means Nobility, Age and Experience (yeah, Black Belts from karate also shows this) and White means Youth, Naivety and Inexperience (again, karate is good example). So if you think of legends based on this, I think something like old aged looking pokemon (with beard ?) and chibi (too cute) pokemon to resemble this. But still, earlier generations shows its not the case in many situations.
If this is the case, I can see a name reversal. Japanese Black could end up made White in the west, and vice-versa. Only likely if there's plot and thematic differences, a bit like with Ruby and Sapphire where it was different villainous teams.

And by "R/B charm," let's hope he doesn't mean "the return of Missngno. in a glitch form."
MissingNo. as an official legendary Pokemon would be awesome.

If they do Up/Down, I'll bet on a special edition: Strange

If only the play time of the game could be 10^13 times longer...
I actually LOLed.

As I've already stated on other forums, the new names are terrible, but not as terrible as 98% of Pokefans are retarded for thinking "OMG POEGYMANZ BLACK AND WHITE THAT'S RACIST!!!!1!!1!!!!11!11!!!1

/)_-

Plus, you know, what Game Freak is doing will either wreck the series or change it enough that competitive battling as we know ends and remains unsupported forever and fans are pissed off. Not pissed off enough that they won't buy the games, but enough so that they'll only buy one game for each gen and stop buying other Pokemon products.

And to end the whole "White and Black is racist" argument, who's the racist? Nintendo for naming them Black and White, or you for seeing it as racist? If you pay attention in life, you will notice that the ones who call others racist are the real racists.

Think about that and shut up, thank you.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
That was my first thought too. Release the games with those names in the west, there's going to be accusations of racism (even though such accusations would be ridiculous).
Other than racism, saying the names together is a bit of a problem as has been mentioned. "Pokemon Black and White" "What? Why is it in black-and-white?" I don't know if that term exists in the same way in the Japanese language, if not, maybe we're more likely to see a name change for the western market.
ChouToshio pointed out that it's said "white and black" in Japan, so I guess they'll be using it there. Also, if I recall correctly, it also was "Pearl and Diamond" for the games, but it got inverted in the West. Maybe this time they won't invert anything and let the games be "hot/cold" like it was in the first three generations.

Did the game "Black and White" cause any controversy for "racism"?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_&_White_%28video_game%29

IMO, It is better to argue that people shouldn't be called Black/White than to protest when inanimate things are named after those shades.
Honestly, I think the whole argument that the names of the games is "racist" is entirely inverted.
That these names have been attached to groups of people is where the racism lies esp. considering one colour has a negative connotation and the other positive.
I was not going to comment on this but I got tired of seeing it page after page so hopefully I can be a threadkill.

i prefer to think of white and black has ying and yang or whatever is called, good and evil and blablabla instead of racist games, either way i dont give a damn about the names or changes of the new games, has long the game turn out to be good i am fine with this.

Did the game "Black and White" cause any controversy for "racism"?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_&_White_%28video_game%29
This is different, because Pokemon is one of Nintendo's flagship franchises and their main series always sells millions of copies. It's much more highly visible than Black & White is.

Besides, in a topic where everyone pounces on the smallest bit of information, it's natural to be discussing the title of the game. This time it's just gone in the direction of whether the titles are racist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)