Pokemon Black & White, aka Gen 5. Coming to Japan in Fall 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's only racist if people make it out to be. They are just shades of colors, nothing else. Why people would get worked up about the name of a Pokemon game is beyond me.

The titles aren't any more racist than Blackberrys (the phone and fruit), a Black and White cookie or any of the gazillion things with either Black and/or White in the name.
So maybe I just think it's an uninteresting non-issue with way too much uninteresting airtime in the thread.
But that's just my opinion.

It's only racist if people make it out to be. They are just shades of colors, nothing else. Why people would get worked up about the name of a Pokemon game is beyond me.
Nintendo is probably going to hear a lot of complaining about it all the same. Remember Jynx?

I agree that it is a frivolous and horrible reason to to get worked up over. I will be really mad if people do go off about it being "racist" and Nintendo has to complete change the title or something like that.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
It will really depend of the cover pokémon. "Black" and "White" will draw a lot of attention, but if the cover legendaries have no racial/racist features, no one will really complain about it.

So, no blackface or KKK references and I guess we'll be fine.

Well obviously they have no intention of making intentionally racist Pokemon (though I wouldn't be surprised if the cover pokemon were indeed black and white, since every cover pokemon has the same or similar color scheme as the title suggests).

Even if that is the case, it probably won't be like the Jynx thing. Hell, the only reason that was a problem was not because she looked black, but because she looked like a black humanoid.

Jynx could have been viewed as a "mammy" and it's not too much of a stretch if you're familiar with those images.
That Pokemon Black and White could be construed as racist is just too farfecth'd for me to bother with...lol

Pokemon white wont have any bikes hehe :P

But yea I dont see the big deal. They are running out of colors.

The "racism" of the names isn't what bugs me, it's how freakishly bland they are. Black and White both sound lame, and they even already did colors (Red / Blue). C'mon Gamefreak, where's your creativity?

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Does anybody else feel just a bit "led by the hand" with this announcement? I mean, I've only got 17 hours on my English SS, and we're already excited about new pokemon, new mechanics, new land to explore...

Kinda makes me...

...tired?

And Corndog

Gamefreak =/= Creativity

Does anybody else feel just a bit "led by the hand" with this announcement? I mean, I've only got 17 hours on my English SS, and we're already excited about new pokemon, new mechanics, new land to explore...

Kinda makes me...

...tired?

And Corndog

Gamefreak =/= Creativity

it does semm a bit early to already announce the names for the games IMO.

Well the games will be coming out in the next 5-8 months so they do have to get quite alot done, promotion etc before then.

Mario With Lasers

They'll only announce Black and White in the USA after September, I'm sure of it.

It's not Game Freak's fault we people already know it.

Death Phenomeno

I'm polite so just for clarity, when I'm cross I
is a Contributor Alumnus
THIS is Pokemon Black:

While this is Pokemon White:

I just noticed something: The names of the new games are written in katakana, not in kanji.

Compare with the original Red, Blue, and Green.

If they are supposed to represent colours like the Gen I games, I find it strange that they didn't use 黒 (kuroi) and 白(shiroi). Unless something completely different is going on, don't you see?

I don't think "Black/White" is going to be renamed "Light/Dark" or anything else for that matter...

This is probably 100% bogus, but I have a dumb theory. What if they came up with the names for a specific reason? I was thinking about it today... does anybody remember this (fan made, ie. fake) picture?

The idea was that, some future Pokemon game would take place in the past and serve as a prequel to Red/Blue. In the picture, I think they're called "Sepia and Monochrome". There was another pic to go with this one (I can't find it...) but as I remember you play as a young Yukinari Okido aka. Sam aka. professor Oak.

Personally, I think this would be a great setting for Gen. 5, and maybe Gamefreak agrees? Pokemon "Black and White"... doesn't it make you think of an old timey movie? :O

To quote my source:
"Kanto/Johto/Hoenn/Sinnoh of old. Where trainers sketched in their journals to record Pokemon they've seen, or made their own Pokeballs out of apricorns. No bullet trains or super-fast cruise-liners; most people rode their Pokemon throughout the land. Where the towns are littered with old-fashioned architecture and temples, and the Pokemon are viewed as guardians of the land. A time where old-fashioned festivals took place and soldiers and samurais trained with their Pokemon."

I dunno, that's my guess. :P What are you guys' theories for the story/setting for Black/White?

This is different, because Pokemon is one of Nintendo's flagship franchises and their main series always sells millions of copies. It's much more highly visible than Black & White is.

Besides, in a topic where everyone pounces on the smallest bit of information, it's natural to be discussing the title of the game. This time it's just gone in the direction of whether the titles are racist.
I don't really see anyone discussing whether the titles are actually racist, just whether they'll be changed due to the perception of that. It's not like PC-thugs are exactly "logical" or anything.

It's not Game Freak's fault we people already know it.
This is the age of the Internet. If GameFreak thought people outside of Japan wouldn't find out about it within 24 hours of uploading, they're either delusional or ignorant.

I just noticed something: The names of the new games are written in katakana, not in kanji.

Compare with the original Red, Blue, and Green.

If they are supposed to represent colours like the Gen I games, I find it strange that they didn't use 黒 (kuroi) and 白(shiroi). Unless something completely different is going on, don't you see?
They refer to "White Day" (March 14th) as, ホワイトデー. This is "White Day" phonetically. Not really anything new for Japan.

I know which will have Zoroark. lol

Does anyone her think Zoroar will be a version mascot like Pikachu in Yellow? I'm just curious.

Also I think Gamefreak would have checked with Nintendo of America or whoever decides these things to make sure Black and White would go over okay in the States (and elesewhere in the world, but honestly I feel only in the US would people even make a deal of this).

Yeah maybe...but in Pokemon Black all the PokeMarts will have higher prices lol. Good news is the running shoes will make you go twice as fast, and you'll be able to jump up ledges.
I doubt they will make you jump ledges. Ledges are temporary walls to keep the players from going to where they don't need to go untill later in the game. Running double speed....maybe...

Also I think Gamefreak would have checked with Nintendo of America or whoever decides these things to make sure Black and White would go over okay in the States (and elesewhere in the world, but honestly I feel only in the US would people even make a deal of this).
Here in the US is probably the only place that would make a big deal. Racism is still present. You have a point, though. They will probably make sure it won't wreck.

Mario With Lasers

This is the age of the Internet. If GameFreak thought people outside of Japan wouldn't find out about it within 24 hours of uploading, they're either delusional or ignorant.
Trust me, they are. I recall W-P-M (Pokébeach's webmaster) went to that TCG tournament and met Masuda and a few other Pokémon developers there. He showed a print of a scan of Corocoro with those five shadows to appear in Platinum (which turned out to be the Rotoms) and asked if they were related to Rotom. He said Masuda evaded the question and was pretty surprised an American would even know about those shadows.

Not only that, but I don't think the majority of the kids who buy Pokémon would get their news from the Internet. And even then, they'd know it would take a year to play it, as they surely wouldn't even try touching the Japanese versions.

I doubt they will make you jump ledges. Ledges are temporary walls to keep the players from going to where they don't need to go untill later in the game.

Wait...are you saying we should try and keep Black players from going places? Haven't you ever heard of affirmative action? Racist!!! ;p

Hmmm that idea of a prequel is pretty cool! Problem is, how would you play as Professor Oak will still being able to select your gender? Oh...God....on second thought, don't answer that question.

The "racism" of the names isn't what bugs me, it's how freakishly bland they are. Black and White both sound lame, and they even already did colors (Red / Blue). C'mon Gamefreak, where's your creativity?
Black technically isn't a color, it is the absence of color.

I forgot what White is, I think its the combination of all of the colors, like the light that the sun gives off is considered white.

Gen 5 is basically the "We're not quite colors and therefore NOT a rehash of Gen 1 theme"

And I like Bland themes. Besides, Black and White are some of the better looking colors out there. I'm just hoping there is something revolutionary in this game (like a Black version makes YOU the bad guy, and White is the good guy, or vice versa)

I mean, All of the past games made you the good guy, the world isn't always like that >.>

Anyway, looking forward to this :P

Wait...are you saying we should try and keep Black players from going places? Haven't you ever heard of affirmative action? Racist!!! ;p

Hmmm that idea of a prequel is pretty cool! Problem is, how would you play as Professor Oak will still being able to select your gender? Oh...God....on second thought, don't answer that question.

I'm pretty sure, despite the titles, that this is a kids game. The gender choosing with Oak will NOT be in any game (except hacks, and those hacks would give people nightmares *shudders*)

Still, the answer to that question will.... well, scar some for life XD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)