Platinum/HG/SS Battle Frontier and DP Battle Tower Records

Jumpman16

np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
What's even worse is that Game Freak thought it would be hilarious to slap Brightpowder on every Battle Tower Pokemon =/

This was actually the third time in one day I was completely haxxed out of a streak.
It was actually worse in DP, 48 of the 650 (7.38%) pokemon you'll see after battle 21 have BP to only 35 of 650 in PTHGSS. That said, Lax Incense is more represented, up from 2 of 650 in DP to a significant 25 of 650 in PTHGSS. This difference does not quite even things out mathematically, since we'd need 28 Lax Incense pokes in PTHGSS to counteract the 10% vs 5% evasion chance, but I'm already discounting the 1-350 pokemon that you not only can sometimes see post battle 21 but can still annoy you from the very beginning.

For posterity, PTHGSS has 40 BP pokes and 35 LI pokes to DP's 57 BP and 35 LI, so I guess it's funny that there's an equal number of LI pokemon but 18 more "when it matters" from DP to PTHGSS. And as I noted in my PT database post, there's 42 Evasion in the PT BF vs. 73 in DP BT. Drapion doesn't really care though, +Accuracy is so awesome...

Ugh... Hopefully the Gen 5 Tower won't have BP or LI in it...

Don't the developers make cameos at the VGCs? That'd be the perfect chance for someone to get them to take the hax out. They'll obviously use the excuse "You never know what can happen in a Pokemon battle!" but someone else could tell them how cruel and frustrating it is to have gone on a huge streak, only to have all of their effort stolen and destroyed by luck.

I know the feeling, in a double battle versus an Aerodactyl and a Togekiss, I fainted the Aerodactyl, missed his Togekiss with rockslide, missed another three times over the next three turns as my partner KO'd his other pokes (.01% chance) as he got three boosts from Silver Wind (.01% chance.) In the end I had three pokes up against his Togekiss, his last remaining pokemon. My pokes were Zapdos, Metagross, and Gengar, Zapdos and Gengar both had SE moves, but Zapdos was OHKO'd before it could attack by Ancient Power, netting Togekiss another boost, Metagross missed with Meteor Miss (go figure) and was killed in two hits by Ominous Wind as he got another stat up, and Gengar failed to OHKO with Thunderbolt while he was knocked out in two blows with Ominous wind, netting another boost to all of his stats on his last turn as a slap in the face. It was a truly haxxy battle.
I was using that Togekiss in Factory before. If it has Serene Grace, you virtually can't lose. I managed to Raise-All-Stats at least once every battle in that round. But my god, that's a brutal loss, I'm so sorry.

I was wondering... for Platinum Battle Tower (Lv100), what might be a good EV spread for Scizor (@ Leftovers; Substitute SwordsDance BulletPunch Superpower)? Does it need any Speed EVs?

Additionally, in Platinum Battle Tower (Lv100), does TrickScarf Uxie need any Speed EVs?

Soul Silver Single Battle Tower - 141 wins

Cresselia
Bold @ Choice Scarf
252/0/22/0/0/236
Flash/Trick/Thunderwave/Reflect

Standard Trickscarf lead. 236 speed evs to outspeed Jolteon and co. very bulky but I wish she could learn charm to make things more easier.

Latios
Timid @ Draco Plate
6/0/0/252/0/252
Calm Mind/Dragon Pulse/Rest/Substitute

I used Draco Plate for additional firepower and it really came in handy. A +6CM w/ Draco Plate deals 108%-127% to HP evd regice which really helped me at a certain battle.

Scizor
Adamant @ Leftovers
Technician
84/252/0/0/74/100
Bullet Punch/Superpower/Swords Dance/Substitute

He sets up real quick. This guy is so strong i don't know what to say. 100 speed evs to outspeed Heatran which could be his only problem and leftovers helps out a lot.
-----

inspired by Jumpman's CLS team.
lost to Crawdaunt2/Froslass4/Skuntank3.
From what they say "practice makes perfect", I really need to practice more because I totally misplayed with scizor which lead to my loss. I used a +6SD'd Bullet Punch with red HP instead of Super Power to Crawdaunt which he resisted, (I should've stopped at +4SD then used SuperPower) then after that everything went to shit, and the CH Crunch to Cresselia after Trick was a bitch. And I forgot to save the vid :(
http://i929.photobucket.com/albums/ad132/omoplata86/Untitled-1.png

You are correct Omoplata, there is no Level 100 Platinum Battle Tower only Level 50, Voltai might be thinking of the Battle Factory Open Level section but, you use random pokes in there.

Does anyone know how to get around the psychic AI? It's just ridiculous and I got destroyed in the first round of the Factory because it knew every move I was going to make. For instance, it eventually came down to a Lapras vs Slowbro stall war, and every time I used Avalanche, it didn't attack. Additionally, I started off with a Reversal Blaziken against a Miltank and every time I used Endure, it used Thunder Wave and Milk Drink.

I have Hariyama and use Arm Thrust on another Miltank, then it switches to Drifblim because I can't hit it with any of my attacks. Then when it's Magnium VS Drifblim, it magically knows when I'm going to attack and activate its pinch berry, so it baton passes to Jolteon, who switches back to Drifblim when I use Synthesis instead of Ancient Power. Why the fuck does Game Freak think psychic AI is fun?

And now I just lost that battle to complete hax, AKA 3 turns of paralysis and flinch hax. I also used Arm Thrust 3 times and only got 2 hits each.

Does anyone know how to get around the psychic AI? It's just ridiculous and I got destroyed in the first round of the Factory because it knew every move I was going to make. For instance, it eventually came down to a Lapras vs Slowbro stall war, and every time I used Avalanche, it didn't attack. Additionally, I started off with a Reversal Blaziken against a Miltank and every time I used Endure, it used Thunder Wave and Milk Drink.

I have Hariyama and use Arm Thrust on another Miltank, then it switches to Drifblim because I can't hit it with any of my attacks. Then when it's Magnium VS Drifblim, it magically knows when I'm going to attack and activate its pinch berry, so it baton passes to Jolteon, who switches back to Drifblim when I use Synthesis instead of Ancient Power. Why the fuck does Game Freak think psychic AI is fun?

And now I just lost that battle to complete hax, AKA 3 turns of paralysis and flinch hax. I also used Arm Thrust 3 times and only got 2 hits each.
In rounds 1 and 2, I find it works to just go all-out aggro. Forget trying to switch into the best pokemon, just keep hosing whatever is against you. In Rounds 3 and beyond, only then should you really pay attention to their moves. At least in round 1, they almost never make the best plays and you can easily take advantage of this and quickly dispose of them when they go ahead and do things like use Thunder Wave a second time on the same pokemon.

I've found somewhat of a good way to go about battles in the battle factory even though I continue to lose against Thornton on battle 21, is to always pick the best pokemon that can defeat the opponents' lead the best and then go from there because then it's usually a 3 vs. 2 situation which is always better than a 3 vs. 3 situation.

I was wondering... for Platinum Battle Tower (Lv100), what might be a good EV spread for Scizor (@ Leftovers; Substitute SwordsDance BulletPunch Superpower)? Does it need any Speed EVs?

Additionally, in Platinum Battle Tower (Lv100), does TrickScarf Uxie need any Speed EVs?
Sorry, I meant Open Level but my Pokemon at Lv100;

In the BT, all Pokemon are Level 50. If your Pokemon have Levels higher than that, they're downgraded to Level 50 while you're in the Tower.

If you're concerned about Heatran, Run 76Hp/252Atk/76Sp.Def/104Spe with an Adamant Nature. That'll let you outpseed the Tower's Heatran and hit them with Brick Break. It won't OHKO without Swords Dance behind it, but it'll OHKO at +2, unless it's the Sashed set. If you're not concerned about Heatran, run 176Hp/252Atk/76Sp.Def/4Spe. That outruns Blissey (iirc).

As for Uxie, it doesn't need them, but some speed could be useful.

*sighs* Millennium XVI v.2 has been giving me a headache to use. I don't know how Jumpman did it, his team seems to have so many holes and yet the biggest problem is using Drapion properly. I can't seem to master it.

Why are distributing the remaining EVs for the first set that way? If you want to maximize overall bulk, put the EVs in HP. If you want to maximize special bulk, put all the EVs in SpDef, since it's going to be lower than HP. 4 Spe allows you to outrun 0 Spe Vaporeon and I think that's all that really matters. Scizor doesn't need any Spe EV to outrun 0 Spe Blissey.

That's not the point to the EV's. The Special Defense Ev's compensate for Scizor's slightly weaker Special Defense stat. I suppose you could move them to Hp if you wanted to, but you'd be taking a risk against neutral STAB moves on the Special side.

Ah, that's what it was. Thanks.

That's not the point to the EV's. The Special Defense Ev's compensate for Scizor's slightly weaker Special Defense stat. I suppose you could move them to Hp if you wanted to, but you'd be taking a risk against neutral STAB moves on the Special side.

Ah, that's what it was. Thanks.
That's not what I'm saying. I love putting the leftover EVs in SpDef on Scizor because all I ever switch it into are special attacks. With the spread you posted though, it doesn't maximize either overall bulk or special bulk. Here's the stats for your spread:

HP: 300
SpDef: 215

The special bulk it has can be found by multiplying the stats together to get 64500. The stats for putting the leftover EVs in SpDef are:

HP: 281
SpDef: 234

When you multiply them together, you get 65754, which is 1.94% higher than if you used your spread.

Either you should find out something specific for it to survive or you should either put all the EVs in HP to maximize overall bulk or put them all in SpDef to maximize special bulk.

Alright. I sometimes go on random assumption sprees, so I'm apt to make mistakes on something like that.

Btw, I'm using that spread on my Scizor now, and I've given you credit in the RMT on Serebii.

Kinda new to this

I had a record of 116 in the Soul Silver Battle tower.

My team is :
Electrode (Smogon Rain Dance set.)

Kingdra, Rain Dance (Special Set) with adjustments.
Rain Dance swapped for Attract( Electrode has me covered on RainDance)
Signal Beam swapped for Ice beam

Jolteon :), Special Sweeper/Annoyer 4Hp/ 252 SpA/ 252 Speed
Thunder
Shadow Ball
Thunder Wave
Roar

Basically this record took about 1 week of on and off playing.

Strategy: First Electrode would Rain Dance and then make a choice, either Thunder or Explode. Depending on How much HP he has is my choice. If he can take another hit then I would use thunder, or if Hes going to Faint the just explode. Then, depending on the next pokemon the other trainer has I choose Kingdra w/ Swift Swim or Jolteon w/ Volt absorb, I generally choose Kingdra and either surf or dragon pulse the opponent to death, or if I run into electivire or pretty much any other electric packing pokemon then I switch into Jolteon for Volt Absorb. My Jolteon has a Focus Sash because hes so fragile and has shoddy def stats. This team does pretty well unless a certain few pokemon enter the battle.

Counters: Abomasnow, Tyranitar, etc. Pretty much any weather producing pokemon other than a rain dance one is a thorn in my side. I rely on Thunders 100% accuracy (with the help of raindance) to best my opponents, with out rain dance its a not so good 70%, and just to make matters worse, with sunny day its 50%!

How I lost (Stupidly), well I finally met my match. Glalie, Lapras, Froslass...

Battle Video # 54-24022-39159

Ace Trainer Linda

Electrode uses Rain Dance
She uses Ice beam With Glalie Does around 65-70% to Electrode

Electrode uses Explosion
Glalie gets OHKO

She sends out Lapras
I send Out Kingdra

I use Attract
Laprass uses Outrage :( OHKO's Kingdra, I should of switched out to Jolteon, Im so stupid...

I send out Jolteon, and use Thunder while Rain Dance is still present
it does around 80-90% to Lapras.
She connects another out rage and does around 80%

I use thunder again and defeat Lapras.

She sends out Froslass> (i hate this thing now)

Jolteon uses Thunder and does 99% and leaves this thing with 1 Hp
Froslass uses Ice Punch to end it all... Sigh...

HeartGold, Battle Hall, Single Battle, Streak 174

MAN this shit is tough after 170. I basically wanted to get the Gold Plate and I decided to just ride the wave after that. I was using the pretty standard Garchomp, but I figured it was a good way to guarantee the Gold Plate. In the future, I'd like to try an original creation for a longer streak.

Garchomp
Item: Focus Sash
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 HP
~ Outrage
~ Earthquake
~ Fire Fang
~ Swords Dance

I went through the toughest type matchups first, Ice, Water, Dark (for Weavile), Normal (for Lickylicky) and I can't remember the rest of the order. I never used Swords Dance at all, I realized I should have probably strapped on Aerial Ace because it never misses, or possibly Stone Edge.

Argenta's Gold Plate battle was a breeze, I was so lucky, it was Flareon, and had easily succumb to the might of Garchomp's STAB Earthquake.

After 170, I decided to just hit up random types. On 175, I risked going for Ice type, and I ran into Weavile. With the sash on Weavile as well, I stood no chance, really. I think the only way Garchomp can beat that Weavile is to get a burn with Fire Fang, so it dies immediately after. You can't even flinch it, since it always goes before you.

I doubt I'm trying Hall again for a while. Going through the initial 170 is very long and quite boring when you keep facing Pokemon much lower levels.

I said it before and I'll say it again: I'm fucking tired of this hax. Just 30 battles in, this happens.

I switch out Ludicolo so I can set up Rain and have it survive, but Gengar knows this and hits Kingdra with Hypnosis. Meanwhile, Pluck gets a crit and Kabutops is fucked. Kingdra miraculously wakes up, but the AI obviously knew this would happen and uses Thunder Wave on it, costing me the game.

Ludi goes out with Surf, but both opponents survive and Kingdra can't move, obviously, which seals my fate while that beast of a Honchkrow proceeds to OHKO my entire team.

This psychic AI is driving me fucking insane. Game Freak thinks they're so fucking clever because they can make "realistic" AI that knows exactly what moves the player is going to make and knows exactly what the RNG is going to do.

83 49091 15868

Jumpman16

np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
*sighs* Millennium XVI v.2 has been giving me a headache to use. I don't know how Jumpman did it, his team seems to have so many holes and yet the biggest problem is using Drapion properly. I can't seem to master it.
im interested to know what "modifications" you made to my team...regardless neither i nor anyone else can help you until you post the team youre using

I'm at 42 wins for HG Battle Tower Singles currently from the 141 loss streak ...

Latias
/w Choice Scarf
Levitate - Timid
EV's : 252 HP, 182 Defense, 76 Speed
Charm, Recover, Thunderwave, Trick

Scizor /w Leftovers
Technician - Adamant
EV's : 50 HP, 252 Attack, 196 Speed
Bullet Punch, Substitute, Superpower, Swords Dance

Kingdra /w Choice Specs
Swift Swim - Timid
EV's : 40 HP, 252 Special Attack, 216 Speed
Draco Meteor, Dragon Pulse, Hydro Pump, Ice Beam

I figured having one sweeper in my team will keep me on assurance of survival. Kingdra is that one pokemon that's pretty brutal to do so, alongside with a quick setup Scizor, and the star of the show, trickscarf Latias. Drapion was good for me to use after a while, but setting up within random standards of Acupressure wasn't assuring me enough to stay within non hax levels of play from the opponents.

I'm interested to know what "modifications" you made to my team... regardless neither I nor anyone else can help you until you post the team you're using.
I tried running Sleep Talk over Substitute, which failed, too uncertain, and I end up KOing what I'm trying to set up on more often than not. OHKO moves are also a bitch to deal with. I also tried a Latias with Trick/Charm/Thunder Wave/Captivate, but found Captivate too little an advantage, and certainly not worth giving up Flash and gaining several unfavourable weaknesses.
I also tried Dragon Dance Salamence over Garchomp but found the six turn + Substitutes set-up to be too much. And in the largest culmination of failure the world has ever seen, I tried both your Drapion, and Peterko's Registeel with one Latias. Didn't even pass 49 wins with that one. :P

So, basically I've tried a bunch of things you've already disproven and come to the conclusion that you were right, and my variations are fun, but fundamentally useless.
Also, just curious what the IVs are like for the Drapion you're using? I bred for one with perfect Defenses and HP, though with 4 attack and 11 speed. Worthwhile, or no?

And, what do you do when Scizor can't set up? Then your next opponent can't be locked into a move, may or may not be able to have its stats lowered if Latias faints, and... worst-case scenario, you're stuck on a move that's NVE and a switch to Scizor would kill him.

I'm curious as to whether or not Xatu could work as a Trick lead?

Timid Xatu @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Speed/ dunno what else
-Feathrtdance
-Roost/ Pain Split
-Thunder Wave
-Trick

????

im interested to know what "modifications" you made to my team...regardless neither i nor anyone else can help you until you post the team youre using
I changed Drapion's EV spread and nature for more bulk, switched leads and switched my backup. I originally had just changed the nature on Drapion, modified Mesprit's EV spread and nature, and used Salamence over Garchomp to help with the STAB Surf problem, but then I ran into the STAB T-bolt problem :/

I haven't started with the v.2 yet, but v.1 was an utter failure. Mesprit attracted far too many types of special attacks for my liking, and T-Bolt was a pain in the arse. Mence would sometimes even fail at setup, let alone be the Pokemon for my team to fall back on. It just had too many problems.

It's posted on Serebii, but not on here. As I said, I haven't started with it yet.

-Feathrtdance
-Roost/ Pain Split
-Thunder Wave
-Trick

????
Xatu isn't the best choice for a TrickScarf lead. You can try it if you like, but Gardevoir, Mesprit, and Latias all outclass it in the same niche. Uxie and Cresselia too, in a slightly different vein.

-Feathrtdance
-Roost/ Pain Split
-Thunder Wave
-Trick

????
You are going to be a lot better off with something more bulky. You would want Roost instead of Pain Split. Alternatively Flash is also good. Xatu does not need 252 Speed, and in fact it does not even need to be timid. I wouldn't bother using Xatu in the first place, but if you are using one, you should use Bold with enough Speed to outspeed +speed Electrode (which has 211 speed, so Xatu should have at least 142 speed before scarf). 252 HP EVs and the rest in defenses. There's no reason to really use this over even a Timid Togekiss though (which learns the exact same moves Feather Dance = Charm). Synchronize doesn't make it much better or anything, and Early Bird probably is not worth considering.

Hax

Ok, so I just got major haxed in the Platinum battle factory and I feel like venting.

So I have a Tauros and an Ursaring and my opponent only has an Infernape left and here is how the battle went:

TAUROS used Earthquake!
TAUROS's attack missed!
The foe's INFERNAPE used Focus Blast!
It's super effective!
TAUROS fainted!

Okay, hax happens (even if it is a very small chance of happening), but I suck it up and send out my Ursaring, hoping the AI makes some stupid move or Focus Blast misses.

The foe's INFERNAPE used Sunny Day!
The sunlight turned harsh!
URSARING used Earthquake!
URSARING's attack missed!
The sunlight is strong.

Now I am extremely pissed and feel cheated (yet again) in the battle factory. All I can do is pray for a miracle.

URSARING used Earthquake! (Thank you Quick Claw, there's hope!)
URSARING's attack missed! (GOD **** IT!!)
The foe's INFERNAPE used Focus Blast!
It's super effective!
URSARING fainted!

I'm not playing the battle factory for a while...

And before you ask, I did not record that battle; I was a little frustrated at the moment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)