VGC - Helping Hand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys!

Well, this is my first post here on Smogon. :)

What do you guys think about the move helping hand in the VGC?
Since it outruns Fake Out and defensive pokemon like Cresselia and Togekiss it could be extremely helpful to make sure you OHKO a pokemon (or both).

A move like Blizzard + Mewtwo + Max Sp. A + 50% more damage = Win?
(Just using Blizzard as an example move that will hit both pokemon).

Tell me what you guys think about it and if there are any counters to this.

It makes up for the fact that moves that hit both pokemon get their damage halved, I guess. I don't have too much experience with the move.

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
It generally isn't worth the turn or moveslot you waste on it. You could try a Helping Hand boosted Explosion from things like Metagross, but again, you are better off having a Ghost that can explode afterwards.

You have to ask yourself, whether the 50% damage boost on your ally is enough to make up for the attack the Helping Hander could have done.

It makes up for the fact that moves that hit both pokemon get their damage halved, I guess. I don't have too much experience with the move.
It isn't halved. IIRC it's 2/3 or 3/4.

It can definitely be a great move. It works especially well on Pokemon who can't hit very hard themselves, and thus are better served aiding a Pokemon that can. Pokemon like Dusknoir and Cresselia are good examples because they can't do jack offensively and are bulky enough to stick around awhile. They also resist Explosion and EQ, respectively, another good attribute for a Helping Hand user.

It isn't halved. IIRC it's 2/3 or 3/4.

It can definitely be a great move. It works especially well on Pokemon who can't hit very hard themselves, and thus are better served aiding a Pokemon that can. Pokemon like Dusknoir and Cresselia are good examples because they can't do jack offensively and are bulky enough to stick around awhile. They also resist Explosion and EQ, respectively, another good attribute for a Helping Hand user.
I think it is that as well. 3/4

I battled someone a little bit ago who was using a follow me/helping hand togekiss. You really have no choice but to kill it first/second turn, or it will dominate. Moves that hit both opponents such as Blizzard/Earthquake/Explosion nullify that problem though. Of course, if the helping hand user is flying, like togekiss, you can't hit it with eq. :/

hh Cresselia is a really cool support poke. Partners include basiclly everything with storng moves hitting both opponents. Groudon is a fantastic partner, since cresselia has levitate and may also set up trick room, while groudon can spam EQ and RS. Garchomp works in a similar way and Dialga is possible to OHKO nearly everything. Kyogre has also moves like Water Spout, Muddy Water and Blizzard.
So helping hand is a really cool move, but you have to make sure, that your hh-boosted attack kills both opponent pokes. Else, your boosted Poke may faint.

I might get punished for giving someone the idea but Cresselia and Kyogre Helping Hand and Water Spout is extremely overpowered but that is really the only thing that helping hand would be useful enough to use instead of other moves.

Sableye can use helping hand to boost an allies explosion, but he's so frail he's going to die really quickly regardless, and is a slot that would have probably been better spent.

Sableye can use helping hand to boost an allies explosion, but he's so frail he's going to die really quickly regardless, and is a slot that would have probably been better spent.

Cresselia is the best meta game helping hand pokemon and Togekiss is second. Cress is better thought because of its sp.def and hp stats along with its def stat.
So if your going to use Helping Hand you want to use Cress.

Cresselia is the best meta game helping hand pokemon and Togekiss is second. Cress is better thought because of its sp.def and hp stats along with its def stat.
So if your going to use Helping Hand you want to use Cress.
The only problem is Cress can't adequately heal under weather. Togekiss has roost, which also counters thunder/ice beam from being SE. Though Togekiss is pretty slow so it'll be hit first most likely. :/

Roost doesn't really help Togekiss with typing at all. Also, a pokemon with Helping Hand has it as an _option_, not as something it needs to be using. I would consider Vaporeon, Machamp, and Umbreon effective HH users in this metagame. I also think you're REALLY underrating Blissey as a helping hand user.

The problem with Helping Hand, if is a Pokemon offers no real offensive threat, the a good opponent will focus on taking out the stronger attacker. If your helping hander is your last Pokemon, chances are it will lose to what ever is left.

The opponent doesn't always have to focus on the strong attacker. Sometimes the HH pokemon is the one who may be setting up the field effect, statusing the opponent, etc. which is, arguably more important than their ally. If your HH member is just sitting there, then there's probably a problem with the team.

I agree that cress and kiss are some of the best, though I would add Vaporeon and Jumpluff to that list. Cherrim is neat under the right conditions, and bulky pokemon like Latias, Politoed, and Blissey are worth mentioning as well.

Another potential Pokémon to use that has Helping Hand is Latios, but as it can actually attack and do something, I don't know if it would be worth it....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)