Most Generation PRNG Help / Information

Hi all. I'm completely new to RNG abuse—or anything at all regarding competitive Pokemon—and I could use some help getting started. I have SoulSilver, and for now I'm mostly interesting in catching Pokemon with good IVs, and maybe a shiny or two; I'll worry about learning the ins and outs of breeding later.

I've looked over the RNG guides on Smogon, and using RNG Reporter 8.20 and the mash-the-A-button calibration technique, it looks like I consistently hit 15 seconds with a delay of 489–493. Since HG/SS don't have the Poketch, though, I don't know how to tell if I'm hitting seeds correctly. Hell, I'm not even entirely sure how to calculate what seed I want to hit, let alone what to do after that. I don't have any roamers out at the moment (caught both Entei and Raikou, and haven't triggered Lati@s yet), if that makes any difference.

Where do I go from here?

I'm trying to get a Boomlax from the Pokewalker, and I can see how to get the IVs I want now, but how would I go about getting a specific desired nature? Or do I just have to keep resetting until the nature is right?

EDIT: I plugged seed B010049 into RNG reporter using Wondercard IV generation to get 31/31/30/2/30/1 at frame 7, and that worked just fine. I tried to calculate what nature I would get using egg PID generation and got Brave on frame 388 (195[first transfer of 3 pokemon]+193[second transfer, just Munchlax]). However, when I tried it this way, he came back Bashful, which, oddly enough, lies on frame 7 O.o. Was my math off, am I doing this wrong entirely, or is something else up?

To put this another way, how can I go about calculating the number of frame advances I need to get a given nature?

Unlike DPPt, HGSS does not have the benefit of coin flips and happiness taps, which were used to skip through eggs until one of the desired nature and\or shininess is found. In HGSS, eggs must be received\rejected from the Day-Care Man one at a time until the desired egg is reached. RNG Reporter (link in signature) has an option to search for very low egg PID frames, making it possible to find a shiny egg on the very first.
Where should I be looking for this option?

Hi all. I'm completely new to RNG abuse—or anything at all regarding competitive Pokemon—and I could use some help getting started. I have SoulSilver, and for now I'm mostly interesting in catching Pokemon with good IVs, and maybe a shiny or two; I'll worry about learning the ins and outs of breeding later.

I've looked over the RNG guides on Smogon, and using RNG Reporter 8.20 and the mash-the-A-button calibration technique, it looks like I consistently hit 15 seconds with a delay of 489–493. Since HG/SS don't have the Poketch, though, I don't know how to tell if I'm hitting seeds correctly. Hell, I'm not even entirely sure how to calculate what seed I want to hit, let alone what to do after that. I don't have any roamers out at the moment (caught both Entei and Raikou, and haven't triggered Lati@s yet), if that makes any difference.

Where do I go from here?
Incoming Wall of Text
(PLEASE NOTE: Parts of this post may be very unspecific. For example, it doesn't go over Monster Methods and Frames and skips over many information input fields. More research may be needed. This is just a brief, general guide.)

Okay in HGSS, you can tell if you're hitting the right seed through the Elm Method or the Roamer Method. The Roamer Method includes inputting the route number of the roamers to verify your seed. In your case, I would use the Roamer Method right now, because you still have roamers out.

I personally use the Elm Method because it's much better. Before using the Elm Method, I would recommend catching all roamers and Lati@s first to make sure that there's no trouble. In order to use the Elm Method, you have to have done the following:
- Hatched Togepi
- Gotten Pokerus
- Stepped into the Kanto Region
After you've done these things, whenever you call Elm, he'll say one of three possible responses. These responses are as follows:

K- "I expect there are some Pokémon in the Kanto region that I don't know. There are probably methods of evolution that I'm not familiar with yet. I should use that perspective and discover what I can."

E- "There are so many different ways that Pokémon evolve, aren't there?! Some Pokémon don't even evolve until they meet certain conditions first!"

P- "It seems that Pokémon that have been infected with Pokérus level up better. We're not quite sure why..."

Now that we know that Elm will say randomly one of these phrases each time you call him, you might be wondering why I emphasized K, E, and P. I did this because RNGReporter refers to these responses using those three letters.

Now you might be wondering "Where might I see this?" and "Why is this important?". These responses come into play when you verify whether or not you hit the right seed and delay. To be specific, I usually find a way to apply these responses in the RNGReporter's "Seed to Time" finder, but that comes in later.

When using the Elm Method, you must use the sequence of "Elm Responses" to check your seed. That means that every time you call Elm, you should make note of what he says. Lets say, for example, Elm says the following responses in the following order:

"I expect there are some Pokémon in the Kanto region that I don't know. There are probably methods of evolution that I'm not familiar with yet. I should use that perspective and discover what I can."

"It seems that Pokémon that have been infected with Pokérus level up better. We're not quite sure why..."

"I expect there are some Pokémon in the Kanto region that I don't know. There are probably methods of evolution that I'm not familiar with yet. I should use that perspective and discover what I can."

"There are so many different ways that Pokémon evolve, aren't there?! Some Pokémon don't even evolve until they meet certain conditions first!"

The sequence would be: K, P, K, E, K. Usually, it takes around 9 or more Elm Responses to check a seed (e.g. K, P, K, E, K, E, P, K, P).

Now that you somewhat know about the Elm Method, let's take a step backwards. "What comes before the Elm Method?" you're asking. Well you have to find your initial seed of course. You do this by hitting a certain target time and delay. That's three things you need to note... confusing isn't it?

Well, it might be good to know that your initial seed depends solely on your target time and delay. So now you have only two things to worry about, the target time and delay. "Okay then, how can I find out what target time and delay I need?" Well it all depends on the Pokemon you're trying to RNG.

"Okay, I know what Pokemon I need, what do I do now?" You put the Pokemon's information somewhere, right? Follow the instructions provided below:

- Open RNGReporter and click on "Time Finder"
- Choose the upper tab that is most appropriate to your cause (Are you breeding or capturing a Pokemon?)
- Enter all of the information that may be needed. (Make sure you don't forget about the checkboxes)
- Now click "Generate", you should see a spread of seeds, times, and delays that match your desired Pokemon (seeds and frames if you're on the "Capture" tab).
- Right click what seems to be the best seed (pokemon) for you. Now select "Generate More Times".
- On the top of the new window, check the "HGSS" option.
- Now choose an appropriate date, time, and delay. All of these will help you get your Pokemon.
- After selecting and highlighting a row, Click on "Generate" on the middle right of the new window.
- If you read what I typed previously about the Elm Method, something should definitely click. You now see the sequences I taught you about! Now scroll down until you find the right seed. The seed's hex should match the seed hex in the previous window (other window). The date, time, and delay should match the values of row you chose in the upper section.
- Here's where your Calibration knowledge comes into play. Now that you have the right seed, all of the information you need is right where you want it. Set up your DS Date/Time settings to get ready to hit your target time (like you used to do in other 4th gen games). When the game starts immediately start up the PokeGear and make sure that there are no wandering NPCs.
- So you're in game, but did you hit your target time and date? How about your initial seed? Did you hit your delay? Yes no? Let's check all of this using the Elm Method. Give Professor Elm a call on your PokeGear.
- Take note of how Elm Responds each time and compare the results to the "Elm Responses" on RNGReporter. If the way Elm responds in your game matches up with the required Elm Responses on RNGReporter, you have successfully hit your seed and delay. Congrats!
- You can also use the "Search Elm" button and input Elm Responses. The program will check which seed, date, time and delay you hit. This information can be useful in calibrating for a next try, as not everybody can get a desired seed on the first seed :-).

To Recap:
- There are two method to check/verify your seed: Roamer and Elm Method. The Roamer Method uses the routes of roamers to verify a seed while the Elm Method uses the sequence of Elm Responses to verify a seed.
- When using the Elm Method, the sequence and content of responses from Elm matters. Make notes of what he says.
- Find a Pokemon and make note of its frame.
- Search for a desired initial seed, time/date, and delay.
- Prepare the DS and, using calibration knowledge, start up the game.
- Check if the desired initial seed was hit by comparing Elm Responses.
- Make use of the "Search Elm" button.

I've read somewhere that things that normally advance the frame of the RNG (talking to your Pokemon, adventuring around, radio, phone calls, etc.) do not advance the egg RNG (I think there's a specific name for this somewhere...). For me, taking many steps just to get a phone call from the daycare man is proof enough, because the egg RNG doesn't seem to advance at all (you're taking lots of steps and receiving phone calls from the old man).
Different phone calls work differently.

Mingot & company are still working on the HGSS RNG, so you can expect some things you heard/read a while ago to be outdated.

Hi, dafinal. Update: I tried to get a shiny egg on a frame 3 seed. It was close the top of the hour 19:57:15. I've tried this seed twice and both attempts failed. I'm not sure if it's because the hour rolled around to a new one, or if an incoming phone call after the first egg advanced the frames. I ignored the call, but hey, no shiny egg. Anyhow, I'm trying again, frame three but earlier in the hour so the clock doesn't roll over. That will at least eliminate the clock nearing the end of the hour as a problem. If that doesn't work, it's definitely incoming phone calls frigging things up.

sorry... what method would you use for capturing a non-roaming legendary in pokemon emerald. or the link to the one for it on the first page would be helpful aswell

I'm pretty sure that calls affect all RNGs. I'm also pretty sure I read that somewhere, didn't realize it was still being debated. Hours switching to do not affect RNG, btw. Tested :)

I'm pretty sure that calls affect all RNGs. I'm also pretty sure I read that somewhere, didn't realize it was still being debated. Hours switching to do not affect RNG, btw. Tested :)
Thanks. This means phone calls frigged up my RNG efforts several time already.

Hi, dafinal. Update: I tried to get a shiny egg on a frame 3 seed. It was close the top of the hour 19:57:15. I've tried this seed twice and both attempts failed. I'm not sure if it's because the hour rolled around to a new one, or if an incoming phone call after the first egg advanced the frames. I ignored the call, but hey, no shiny egg. Anyhow, I'm trying again, frame three but earlier in the hour so the clock doesn't roll over. That will at least eliminate the clock nearing the end of the hour as a problem. If that doesn't work, it's definitely incoming phone calls frigging things up.
That's pretty strange... especially if you hit the right seed both times. Changing hours does not matter, unless its from 23:59 to 00:00, signifying a new day. I found out today that the egg RNG is called the IRNG and that giving specific trainers phone calls can definitely advance the IRNG. I'm unsure about incoming calls though.

I get incoming calls when I try a seed with a frame larger than 1. This is after verifying that I was on the right seed before placing the parents in the daycare. So I gather eggs, hoping to get to the right one without a phone call, but a phone call always happens. I never answer the calls, but it doesn't seem to matter. The only successful shiny hatch I've had so far has been with a frame of 1 and there were no incoming phone calls prior to saving in front of the Daycare man.

Anyhow, I'm trying again with a seed that has a frame of three to see if I can get a shiny egg out of it.

I get incoming calls when I try a seed with a frame larger than 1. This is after verifying that I was on the right seed before placing the parents in the daycare. So I gather eggs, hoping to get to the right one without a phone call, but a phone call always happens. I never answer the calls, but it doesn't seem to matter. The only successful shiny hatch I've had so far has been with a frame of 1 and there were no incoming phone calls prior to saving in front of the Daycare man.

Anyhow, I'm trying again with a seed that has a frame of three to see if I can get a shiny egg out of it.
Might be a discovery! I got my Shiny Charmander on frame 3... but the thing is... I received no phone calls from anyone other than the Day Care Man. :o How do I know this? Because I was biking around waiting for the old man to call me -_-;;.

Before I waste any more time, is it possible to RNG in the sandstorm (in Plat) I just tried to hit a seed that I use often twice and both times it said "There are no results for your coin flips."

EDIT: Scratch that, I know it's possible and from what I gleamed SS messes up your coin flips, but nothing else. So how do I check me seed?

RockinX

My goal in life is to make everyone cringe with my puns
is a Contributor Alumnus
Emerald's is INCREDIBLY EASIER to abuse than any of the fourth gen games' RNG.

RockinX

is a Contributor Alumnus
I think Emerald RNG is easier to understand but harder to abuse. (Emerald advances the frame every 1/60 second and Platinum only every 1/24)
Actually, that's not really a problem if you keep calibrating your stopwatch (for reference, I use XNote Stopwatch). You'll eventually land on your frame if you're persistent enough. Though you can't catch perfect pokés in Emerald, you can breed pokés with 31s everywhere easier than you can in DPPtHGSS.

Actually, that's not really a problem if you keep calibrating your stopwatch (for reference, I use XNote Stopwatch). You'll eventually land on your frame if you're persistent enough. Though you can't catch perfect pokés in Emerald, you can breed pokés with 31s everywhere easier than you can in DPPtHGSS.
How long would it take to breed a flawless pokemon in Emerald? It takes me 30 minutes in SoulSilver (It has some downsides, though; I cannot breed a Seismic Toss Blissey).

I dont know how to abuse in emerald but i really doubt that you can breed any pokemon you want in 30 minutes with flawless ivs

RockinX

is a Contributor Alumnus
I dont know how to abuse in emerald but i really doubt that you can breed any pokemon you want in 30 minutes with flawless ivs
You need to do chain breeding and fit the spreads like a puzzle, but it usually doesn't take long (or at least it takes less time than it takes me in DPPtHGSS; also, less hassle.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 14)