Latios @ Focus Sash / Choice Specs
Timid
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 Hp
IVs: 31/6/31/30/31/30
-Draco Meteor
-Surf/Dark Pulse
-Thunderbolt
-HP Fire

Yeah, it's my favorite Pokemon, Latios. I think I'm only the second person to get on the list by using him. Draco Meteor kills most things not named Blissey, while the rest of the moves are for coverage. Surf was replaced with Dark Pulse during the Ghost set, not for Shedinja, but to kill ghost types with ease. I only ran Focus Sash when I was facing Pokes who could probably OHKO him without being OHKO'ed first.

Anyway, order of sets.

Dark: Weavile and Umbreon
Ice: Weavile again
Steel: Resists Draco Meteor
Normal: Blissey, too many unnecessary surprises.
Ghosts: Dusknoir and Gengar. Faced Argenta in battle 50 and won against a Swampert.
Dragon: Not a fun one. Ran into Garchomp, Latios, and Latias, in order. Draco Meteor actually missed Latios, but Dragon Pulse didn't do too much to me.

The rest was pretty smooth until I faced Argenta again. Her Pokemon was the Umbreon. Ugh, I love Umbreon dearly, but not in this instance. Draco Meteor missed, Confuse Ray hit, Sucker Punch hit, and Latios hit itself. Then another Sucker Punch, which also hits. However, Draco Meteor hit and critted, so I made it.

I did the Dark and Steel sets again before realizing "Crap, I forgot Ice." So I go back. Sixth battle in, it's Weavile. Ice Punch hit me and did heavy damage. I used Thunderbolt (trying to paralyze the thing) and it hit, but didn't kill thanks to the Sash, nor did it paralyze. I lost, end of story.

I've been working on this streak for a few weeks, so I was doing both my Hall and Tower streaks simoultaniously. Probably explains why I fell short of my goals for both.

As per usual, please notify me if I've missed something.
something fishy here - see red highlighted text. after you get to 170 you do one type at a time, not sets of ten.

@RL - solid team - many people have had success with rain teams in doubles, but i really like your idea of being able to switch to hail/blizzard if it suits.. changes are good, although i reckon i'd maybe stick with blizzard over hp elec on vappy. grass knot should be able to do lots to the main things hp elec would be useful for things like gyarados. also don't forget that NVE surf in rain still has base power 106.

something fishy here - see red highlighted text. after you get to 170 you do one type at a time, not sets of ten.
Wow, I'm mixing two series together. That happened on my Dragonite streak, after the first match with Argenta. I don't really remember much after 170 this time around, so I suppose I'll have to null the streak.

195 wins in Battle Hall

Garchomp - Focus Sash
Adamant
252 ATK / 252 SPE
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Flamethrower
- Swagger

Lost to this little bugger:

H341 | Whiscash | Quiet | Lax Incense | Earth Power | Water Pulse | Future Sight | Blizzard | SpA/SpD

it was a stupid loss, here is the battle:

Turn 1:
Garchomp Outrages, Whiscash in red
Whiscash Blizzards, Garchomp survives with Focus Sash

Turn 2:
Garchomp Outrages, it misses
Whiscash uses Future Sight

Turn 3:
Garchomp Outrages, it misses
Whiscash KOs with Blizzard

there wasn't much more i can do when you miss 2 in a row but i am definitely happy about the streak

thanks peterko and tre for your battle hall movesets

and obvious thanks to jumpman16 for his battle tower sets (got me a streak of 38 in factory, ill keep trying for leaderboard) and joel for his constant encouragement. i'll try to get on with factory and tower records soon!

I gotta give Bozo major props for getting as high of a streak as he did in the Castle. I retooled my team to be a bit more defensive and while the new team lacked the bad matchups the old team had, the fucking hax just became ridiculous.

Didn't really get very far with the new team (4 lol wins to add to my previously existing 63). So the overall streak ended at 67 wins and 331 CP.

First, my modified team:

Adamant Gyarados@Lefties

DD
Waterfall
Taunt
Bounce

Pretty much the same Gyarados as before but I swapped out Stone Edge for Bounce. Slightly better accuracy and it actually allows it to do some damage against Water Absorb Poliwrath, Dry Skin Toxicroak, and Breloom. Bulky Gyara EVs as usual.

Impish Dusknoir@Lefties

Toxic
Night Shade
Curse
Rest

Max HP, Max Def. Basically my answer to all those elemental punching Pokes that gave the previous team trouble. Toxic for wearing things down, Night Shade for some consistent damage. Curse for DT but I never got around to using it in my 5 whopping battles.

Bold Blissey@Lefties

Seismic Toss
Ice Beam
Counter
Softboiled

Pretty standard fare with max HP, max Def. Went with Ice Beam over Flamethrower because the 4x Fire weaks are manhandled by Gyara and Dusk. Figured Dragonite/Salamence would be bigger threats and more common than opposing Gyaras.

How I lost:

848,Weavile 4,Jolly,Razor Fang,145,172,85,58,105,194,Night Slash,Ice Punch,Aerial Ace,Brick Break,Attk/Speed
796,Shiftry 4,Adamant,Cheri Berry,197,167,80,99,80,100,Seed Bomb,Sucker Punch,Aerial Ace,Explosion,HP/Attk
846,Honchkrow 4,Adamant,Scope Lens,207,194,72,112,72,91,Night Slash,Drill Peck,Sucker Punch,Steel Wing,HP/Attk

I was afraid of Weavile's Night Slash critting me and of course Honchkrow's shenanigans with Scope Lens so I didn't want to level them up. Shifty looked like it's walled hard by my Dusknoir so I give it 5 extra levels. This move doesn't backfire as blatantly as leveling up Moltres in my last loss but it was pretty apparent the AI wasn't going let me go further with all the hax anyway. :/

Weavile crits Gyara for ~69% damage with Ice Punch
Gyara Dragon Dances [note: Gyara needed 2 DDs to outspeed Weavile with my EVs; if I knocked Weavile down 5 levels, 1 DD would've been sufficient for me to outspeed]

Weavile Ice Punches again for ~24% damage
Gyara Dragon Dances

Gyara Waterfalls Weavile for the KO
Shiftry comes in

I switch out to Dusknoir since I value Gyara's Intimidate against Honchkrow [if it weren't for its weakened state + Sucker Punch, I'd have Bounced]
Shiftry Aerial Aces for ~14% damage

Shifry Seed Bombs for ~32% damage
Dusknoir Toxics and misses

Shiftry Sucker Punches and fails
Dusknoir Toxics and misses

Shiftry crits with Seed Bomb for ~58% damage
Dusknoir Toxics and finally hits!

Shiftry finishes off Dusknoir with another crit Seed Bomb
Blissey comes in

Shiftry crits Blissey with Seed Bomb and does ~77% damage
Blissey uses Ice Beam to leave Shiftry with ~40% health [I know I should've Countered here but I was pretty distraught at all the hax and was just playing out the battle by this point]

Shiftry finishes off Blissey with Aerial Ace
and subsequently faints to Toxic

Gyara comes in
Honchkrow comes in

Gyara Bounces
Honchrow misses with Night Slash

Bounce does ~75% damage
but Honchrow finishes off Gyara with Drill Peck

Three crits live up to their namesake at being critical to the outcome of the match. That plus Toxic missing twice in a row (2.25% chance)! I can sorta understand the Razor Fang'd Ice Punch crit. But that fucking Shiftry... Cheri Berry, my ass.

Wow, I'm mixing two series together. That happened on my Dragonite streak, after the first match with Argenta. I don't really remember much after 170 this time around, so I suppose I'll have to null the streak.
thats even more confusing. you say you got to 196 wins, but don't remember what happened after 170? the story about dark then steel then weavile on battle 6 kinda adds up to 196, like as if they were supposed to.

Kingdra and Ludi 4Xs resist.. which really takes the pang off Surf. Its power really is 53 against them.
fair enough, although hp elec is still only 70 against them (neutral) and you're only hitting one at a time.

which reminds me, when surf is used in a double battle, what is its effective base power per hit? did it change from 3rd gen when it went from hitting two foes to three?

crit
miss
sometimes it feels like BF pokes have all hax items at once :(

which reminds me, when surf is used in a double battle, what is its effective base power per hit? did it change from 3rd gen when it went from hitting two foes to three?
Surf will hit each target at 75% of its usual power: 75% of 95BP = 71BP, rounding down.

As I understand, in Gen 3, two-target and spread moves hit each target at 100% power. In Gen 4, the 75% nerf was introduced, and Surf was modified to become a spread move, hitting all targets.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Double_battle

It doesn't matter if a move hits both foes or the foes plus the partner: if it's hitting more than one target, it's at 75% power. So Surf did change power in doubles (most of the time), but only due to the nerf, not to acquiring another target.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/double_battles#multi

The exception being Last Pokemon Standing, wherein if there is only one target remaining for a spread/two-target move, it hits at 100%.

Rain team
Nice team: I love the dual-weather approach, and the Swift Swim/Blizzard speed order exploit. Nice to see people finding new ways to mess with the AI!

Some suggestions (take or leave):

Focus Sash on Vaporeon. Vap is bulky, but it's not invincible, and first-turn crits/OHKOs do happen. Damp Rock isn't really that useful - I bet you end up wiping out most teams in four turns or less anyway. Also, your team's USP is to pull Hail in a pinch, so you don't really need to extend the Rain to get an advantage.

Helping Hand on Vaporeon! Seriously increases your flexibility, and negates Vap's low speed. Although HH Surf/Blizzard is less powerful than two separate attacks, the priority of HH means you'll be sure that Vap will do something each turn. As its partner will normally have boosted speed, you'll be hitting first almost all the time.

HH on Grass attacks will let you deal with other Water-types more effectively, and LO HH Draco Meteor is just ridiculous for a last resort. You might find you don't need Protect if Vap can help its partner kill off threats.

Grass Knot is generally more useful than Energy Ball. Vaporeon gets hits for less damage with GK, but that's really about it: I went for GK on my team, and there hasn't been a single time I wished I had EB.

Love that Mixdra. Waterfall has a 92.3% chance to OHKO Blissey in the Rain!

Scarf Snow: Vaporeon aside, I'm not sure what else you'd need to hit with Wood Hammer (lol Corsola, GK is 20BP on it). Maybe Shadow Ball for extra coverage?

Scarf Focus Punch is a bit odd, and un-Subbed FP in doubles is really asking for trouble, considering Aboma's many weaknesses. Brick Break instead? Kingdra is your Blissey-killer, so that would be backup for it.

This team has never actually LOST, I just seem to get stalled out be teams of 4 water pokemon.
So in my tenure, I've lost twice but never technically lost.
Dude, you lost twice. Were all of your pokemon KO'd? Then you lost. It may not have been 'fair' or whatever, but it happened, and you can't claim that a loss didn't count for whatever reason.

If you think losses to hax and stall don't actually, technically count, then you won't learn how to get past them. These things happen: the best players work out how to manage them and win regardless.

True, something will always cause problems. For you, DT Empoleon. (For me, DT Vileplume, as my never-miss move is Thunder.) HP Electric on Vap is a good idea.

I had a streak break recently due to a Politoed of all things: turn 1 Psychic crit KO on Toxicroak (negating Payapa Berry), then Hypnotised Kingdra, which slept the full five turns. If Kingdra had woken even as late as the last turn of the game, it could have taken out the final AI poke (Pinsir) and I'd have won. But it didn't, and I lost as a result. It was haxxy, and cheap, and I'm pretty sure I made the best moves at each stage given what I knew, but still - I lost.

I thought about it, and I don't think that my team needs changing to beat Politoed, although I consider it more of a threat now - I underestimated it. (It was paired with Heracross, Salamence and Pinsir in this case: high-offense pokes that I focused on instead, allowing Toed to run amok.) Doubles has so many variables that you can't completely prevent ridiculous hax - certain things are just out of our hands.

Reached 167 wins in Soul Silver Battle Tower Doubles.
http://i929.photobucket.com/albums/ad132/omoplata86/wachamacallit.jpg

Dusknoir @ Lum Berry
Relaxed - Pressure
252 HP / 86 Def / 172 SpD
Fire Punch, Night Shade, Trick Room, Foresight

Kangaskhan (Lv7) @ Focus Sash
Relaxed - Scrappy
Random EVs
Endeavor, Fake Out, Helping Hand, Protect

Same Dusknoir & Kangaskhan lead from my 140 streak.

Camerupt @ Life Orb
Quiet - Solid Rock
252 Atk / 252 SpA
Eruption, Explosion, Earth Power, Protect

Octillery @ Choice Specs
Quiet - Sniper
252 HP / 252 SpA
Surf, Water Spout, Ice Beam, Energy Ball

Lately, I've been experimenting TR sweepers and I've been looking at the list. Similar to Edwin illan's TR sweepers. Thanks to HG/SS for giving Octillery Water Spout. With Choice Specs, it deals a LOT of damage even to water & grass types. Other moves on Octillery are mostly fillers. I don't know why I put Protect on Camerupt but it helped me a couple of times as well.

Lost to Milotic & Slowking
612 | Milotic | Impish | Leftovers | Toxic | Confuse Ray | Double Team | Aqua Ring | HP/Def
810 | Slowking | Modest | Wise Glasses | Psychic | Surf | Ice Beam | Flamethrower | HP/SpA

Obviously, I got stalled out by Milotic's DT hax. God, I hate that beautiful shit.

Made it to battle 173 in Battle Hall Singles with Garchomp
Chomps@Focus Sash
Nature:Adamant
Ability:Sand Veil
EVs: 252Atk/4HP/252Spe
-Rock Slide
-Outrage
-Fire Blast
-Earthquake

I lost to an Abomasnow on my 174th battle. I used Fire Blast, which did not OHKO and I ended up being killed by Hail at the end of the turn. :(

Why Surf on Octillery and not Waterfall / Flamethrower? o.0
Yeah, I really didn't think of that one :/ replacing Flamethrower over Surf. Thanks, Eppie.
I'm still considering another skill over Helping Hand since I've never used it even once. Any suggestions?

Between dumb mistakes and stupid hax ending my streaks, I've been grinding the early rounds of the Castle quite a bit lately. Wondering if there's any interest in keeping a leaderboard for most CP earned after x number of rounds, similar to the time challenge records for the Singles Tower.

After 35 wins, I have effectively 621 CP after all upgrades are taken into account (actually 721 but I never do the HP/PP combo upgrade). I've been playing these early rounds with caution to the wind so I'd be curious to see how many CP other people can manage in the early rounds.

Yeah, I really didn't think of that one :/ replacing Flamethrower over Surf. Thanks, Eppie.
I'm still considering another skill over Helping Hand since I've never used it even once. Any suggestions?
Yawn / Knock Off / Leer would be your best options for replacing Helping Hand.

Flamethrower is far more important than Surf as you'd hit your team mate too. Sooner or later the Surf will crit your team mate and your streak ends because you fainted your own Pokémon. I'm using a Octillery too as we speak with Water Spout / Flamethrower / Energy Ball / Ice Beam.

I hate myself for losing to a DT Milotic. And, I never knew what Foresight could really do! I didn't know it could bring down it's evasiveness to 0%! LOL
O__________O

I hate myself for losing to a DT Milotic. And, I never knew what Foresight could really do! I didn't know it could bring down it's evasiveness to 0%! LOL
O__________O
That's one special thing about the battle frontier! The element of surprise always gets me! >_>

That's one special thing about the battle frontier! The element of surprise always gets me! >_>
I'm pretty new to the competitive scene, so I'm usually being surprised. My Shiftry/MagCargo/Hippowdon combo has managed to net me a few 20 battle winning streaks, but we can never seem to hit the next level.

Pokemon Heart Gold, Open Level Single Battle Factory Challenge, 63

So I've been trying to get the Battle Factory gold print for a while now, and I finally got there with a team that was initially awful:

726 | Flareon | Modest | White Herb | Overheat | Shadow Ball | Mud-Slap | Will-O-Wisp | SpA/SpD
369 | Mr. Mime | Calm | Cheri Berry | Psychic | Signal Beam | Copycat | Mimic | SpA/SpD
482 | Tyranitar | Brave | Focus Band | Rock Slide | Payback | Avalanche | Curse | Atk/SpD

After the first battle, I picked up a Machamp:

707 | Machamp | Adamant | Quick Claw | DynamicPunch | Earthquake | Stone Edge | Ice Punch | HP/Atk

Which proved quite useful, especially in getting...

893 | Garchomp | Adamant | Persim Berry | Outrage | Earthquake | Crunch | Fire Fang | Atk/Spe

...in the 6th battle. With this team, I proceeded to sweep Thorton, who had:

Either Skuntank 383 or 791 because it only had time to use poison jab
603 | Crobat | Hardy | Razor Fang | Air Slash | Zen Headbutt | Bite | Twister | Atk/Spe
828 | Ampharos | Quiet | Zoom Lens | Thunder | Focus Blast | Signal Beam | Power Gem | HP/SpA

Machamp took out the Skuntank, and T-tar took care of the rest (Ampharos missed with Focus Blast)

Then my friend told me, "Hey, why don't you go for the Smogon record?" We've both looked around the forums and the strategy pokedex's for a while, so I figured, hey, why not. On the streak up to 56, my team consisted of (after a couple trades):

942 | Suicune | Modest | Wacan Berry | Surf | Ice Beam | Extrasensory | Calm Mind | HP/SpA
933 | Latios | Timid | Brightpowder | Psychic | Thunderbolt | Ice Beam | Energy Ball | SpA/Spe
892 | Metagross | Adamant | Quick Claw | Meteor Mash | Zen Headbutt | Earthquake | Explosion | HP/Atk

Which was a pretty easy victory. Then I got a streak up to 63 with a team that consisted of:

695 | Scizor | Jolly | Salac Berry | X-Scissor | Quick Attack | Reversal | Endure | Atk/Spe
727 | Espeon | Modest | Lum Berry | Psychic | Shadow Ball | Hyper Beam | Grass Knot | SpA/Spe
948 | Heatran | Quiet | Focus Sash | Magma Storm | Flash Cannon | Earth Power | Explosion | Atk/SpA

Which was also pretty fun. Fun fact: I managed to hit a Yanmega with a magma storm after it used double team. (Very relieving...)

The video for the 63rd battle is on youtube at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlOTcyFCo-g

The sped up, much clearer version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNm8ZnaPfG8

The video is also at the GTS video place under 38-43201-73575

Unfortunately...
On my next team, I ran out of luck.

723 | Flygon | Timid | White Herb | Draco Meteor | Earth Power | Flamethrower | Giga Drain | SpA/Spe
583 | Gardevoir | Modest | Chesto Berry | Psychic | Thunderbolt | Calm Mind | Rest | SpA/SpD
871 | Aggron | Adamant | Focus Sash | Metal Burst | Stone Edge | Earthquake | Shadow Claw | Atk/Def

They had:
584 | Gallade | Jolly | Brightpowder | Drain Punch | Fire Punch | ThunderPunch | Ice Punch | Atk/Spe
419 | Gengar | Timid | Payapa Berry | Shadow Ball | Sludge Bomb | Spite | Confuse Ray | SpA/Spe
A Swampert with Earthquake

Flygon outran the Gallade with Draco Meteor, but I mispredicted the set, and I was swiftly Ice Punched. Gardevoir finished it, but Gengar came in with a vengeance. Shadow Ball made quick work of Gardevoir. Finally, Aggron come in, got confused, and hurt itself four times in a row, while Gengar used spite every time. (Talk about adding insult to injury...) I killed the Gengar after that, but when swampert came in, I knew it was over. It killed me with Earthquake. The End.

So my end streak was 63. There you have it.

Been trying out TR in the doubles Tower and I can't seem to find much use for the 2 "extra" moves on the low level Endeavor Pokemon. I mean, if TR is up, it's almost always better to use Endeavor (especially in your case where Scrappy means Endeavor will hit Ghosts too).

Helping Hand can be useful if for some reason TR isn't up and your TR user is gone. Priority attacks aren't going to be doing much unless you're trying to finish off something you've Endeavored but I've never been in a position where I pulled off Endeavor on the last turn of TR but somehow the low level Pokemon survives to pick off something in the first turn of regular speed.

The only other move types I can think of that could be remotely useful would be moves that hit both opponents and incapacitates them for the turn if you're in a pinch. Something like Dark Void or Twister hax from Togekiss.

Am I wrong to assume the 2 filler moves are highly situational at best and really don't matter 99% of the time?

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
Been trying out TR in the doubles Tower and I can't seem to find much use for the 2 "extra" moves on the low level Endeavor Pokemon. I mean, if TR is up, it's almost always better to use Endeavor (especially in your case where Scrappy means Endeavor will hit Ghosts too).

Helping Hand can be useful if for some reason TR isn't up and your TR user is gone. Priority attacks aren't going to be doing much unless you're trying to finish off something you've Endeavored but I've never been in a position where I pulled off Endeavor on the last turn of TR but somehow the low level Pokemon survives to pick off something in the first turn of regular speed.

The only other move types I can think of that could be remotely useful would be moves that hit both opponents and incapacitates them for the turn if you're in a pinch. Something like Dark Void or Twister hax from Togekiss.

Am I wrong to assume the 2 filler moves are highly situational at best and really don't matter 99% of the time?
For the most part, those two moves are filler that don't matter most of the time. They are there to help plug some hole that appear every now and then. I used Foresight and Follow Me. Foresight helps deal with Pokemon with Double Team and no damaging moves and Follow Me helps deal with Turn 1 OHKO attacks. Other moves you can use are Fake Out and Rain Dance/Sunny Day (to deal with Snow Cloak/Sand Veil).

Heart Gold Battle Hall, Single, 187

I was looking around and I realized that I had also gotten a spot on the Battle Hall list. I would rather not go through the trouble of video proof (the last one was hard enough to make), since this only puts me 20th on the list. Anyway, here is what I used.

Salamence**AuRon Lv. 100
Adamant @ Choice Band
252 Atk/252 Spe/4 HP
IVs 30 HP/31 Atk/31 Spe
Outrage
Earthquake
Dragon Claw
Flamethrower

This Salamence took care of everything. Choice Banded Outrage wiped out pretty much anything on the list except where Earthquake or a 4x supereffective flamethrower was more profitable.

You're probably wondering why Dragon Claw is there. The answer is it shouldn't be; I use this Salamence for other venues as well, and any other fourth move would not get used in the Battle Hall. So it is there out of laziness. Here is the order in which I took out the types:

Ice, Steel, Dark, Dragon, Psychic, Water, Normal, Flying, Rock, Ground, Ghost, Poison, Fighting, Grass, Bug, Electric, Fire.

It took me about two weeks to get a streak free of Focus Sash Weavile and Quick Clawed Crits to end me, but I finally got to Argenta the second time. She had a Uxie that I had to 2KO with Outrage. The extrasensory it threw at me in between moves didn't come close to killing me, and beating her was easy enough. After that, I went through the next 17 in the same order as the first time which was easy enough. Then at the start of the next cycle, I was confronted with Weavile. I was OHKOed with Ice Punch.

If I had known I was anywhere close to being on the list, I probably would have fought the next 17 in reverse order (it was really dumb of me not to do that anyway). I'll have to do that next time to optimize my streak.

As for the origins of the nickname, it comes from a good book series I read a while ago about dragons.

After finally RNGing a good latias, drapion, and scizor I decided to finally seriously attempt the battle tower (Thanks Jumpman for team idea!)

Latias (F)
Item: Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
IVs: 31HP,14Atk, 31Def, 31SpA, 31SpD, 31Spe
EVs: 252HP,252Def,6Spe
Nature: Bold

Trick
Thunderwave
Charm
Flash

The standard trick lead, was going to use Cresselia until i realized that charm actually mattered A LOT. I decided to not care too much about speed as many things would outrun it with scarf anyway. If this was a bad idea please tell me!

Drapion (M)
Item: Black Sludge
Ability: Battle Armor - anti bs FTW!!! =)
IVs: 31HP,31Atk, 31Def, 6SpA, 31SpD, 31Spe
EVs: 252HP,56Def,196SpD, Spe6
Nature: Careful

Crunch
Acupressure - GG broken in the tower
Substitue
Rest

Identical to Jumpman's (lol couldn't resist) I fell in love with this pokemon from battle one so hes never come out of my party. +6 in everything just feels awesome.

Scizor (F)
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Technician
IVs: 31HP, 31Atk, 31Def, 17SpA, 31SpD, 31Spe
EVs: 80HP, 252Atk, 4Def, 4SpD, 170Spe
Nature: Adamant

Bullet Punch
Superpower
Substitute
Swords Dance

Also almost identical to Jumpman's (Not sure if there even is a difference). Scizor however, is a bit more frail then i though he was though so i might replace him with registeel any thoughts?

First attempt: Lost at battle 80 to a Jynx (choice specs). I tricked and he icebeam 2HKO couldn't do anything. Dumbly sent in Drapion ice beam froze, ice beam KO. Sent in scizor (should have done that before) dance icebeam dance ice beam (30 hp left) bullet punch kill. Something else came in (forgot what it was) OHKO with bullet punch. Then comes slowking =( and gg with surf.

Second attempt: Lost at battle 35 porygon -Z lead destroyed me with ice beam. How does everyone get so lucky as to not get such bad luck at such low levels!!!!!!!!!!

I got a 129 win streak in SoulSilver last night in Battle Tower. Meh I was lazy enough not to make a proper team so I used some Pokes I've bred for Wifi battles.

I lost to Swampert/Feraligatr/Venusaur. I didn't save the video from that battle but Swampert 2HKO'd Starmie with Earth Power and Starmie's Surf was only a 3HKO. Next I took Swampert down with Garchomp's Earthquake and the opponent sends in Feraligatr. I knew unboosted Outrage wouldn't OHKO it so I Swords Danced while Feraligatr used Scary Face. Then it used Ice Fang which of course flinched the mighty landshark. At this point I knew I had lost since I only had Scizor left and Feraligatr was still in full health whereas Garchomp only had something like 20+ HP. I switched in Scizor and Feraligatr used Ice Fang again which was a CH and it froze Scizor as well. Scizor thawed out immediately however and I used Roost once while Feraligatr used Waterfall. It did something like 40% which is why I didn't stall it out with Roost (CH's are so common in Frontier and that 20% flinch rate). I simply used Superpower and Bullet Punch (did something like 70-80%) while Feraligatr took Scizor down with Waterfall. Then I KO'd Feraligatr with Garchomp's Earthquake and the opponents last Poke was Venusaur which I was unable to OHKO with Outrage and Venusaur easily KO's the weakened landshark with Sludge Bomb. After all I wasn't pissed off at all 'cause I was just trying to get a 100 win streak and I didn't use a proper team.

Starmie @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Natural Cure
Nature: Timid
IV's: 29 / x / 31 / 31 / 30 / 31
EV's: 6 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Surf
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Trick

I know there are much better Trickleads and the EV spread and moves were anything but good but whatever. Starmie attracts a lot of Electric moves which Garchomp loves setting up against. Dark, Ghost, Bug and Grass moves are commonly launched against Starmie so yeah, I decided to use Scizor. If the opponent's lead was a Ground type I immediately attacked with Surf (or Ice Beam against Garchomp/Flygon) 'cause neither Garchomp or Scizor enjoys STAB Earthquakes.

Garchomp (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Sand Veil
Nature: Jolly
IV's: 27 / 31 / 28 / x / 31 / 31
EV's: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Fire Fang

Pretty basic. I should have used Substitute over Fire Fang and Lum Berry as an item but it worked decently.

Scizor (F) @ Life Orb
IV's: 31 / 31 / 30 / x / 25 / 31
EV's: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 10 Spe
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Same here, with a better lead I would have used Subsitute over Roost and Leftovers over Life Orb.

I got a 50 win streak in Battle Factory (I still have the video saved from the 49th battle). My team for battles 42-49 was:

714 | Tentacruel | Modest | Focus Sash | Surf | Sludge Bomb | Giga Drain | Mirror Coat | SpA/SpD

935 | Cresselia | Modest | Wise Glasses | Psychic | Shadow Ball | Energy Ball | Charge Beam | HP/SpA

904 | Latias | Calm | Lum Berry | Psychic | Dragon Pulse | Attract | Calm Mind | SpA/SpD

In Battle Hall I have a 170 streak with Garchomp. I used the same set in Hall that I used in Battle Tower except it had Yache Berry in hold.

In Battle Arcade and Battle Castle I have a 49 win streak with the following team:

Starmie
Ability: Natural Cure
IV's: 29 / x / 31 / 31 / 30 / 31
- Surf
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Psychic

Garchomp
Ability: Sand Veil
Nature: Jolly
IV's: 27 / 31 / 28 / x / 31 /31
EV's: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Fire Fang

Jolteon
Ability: Volt Absorb
IV's: 27 / x / 28 / 31 / 31 / 31
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice (Base Power 66)
- Shadow Ball
- Baton Pass

Again I was lazy and used Wifi Pokes and didn't change the movesets at all, though only changeable move would have been Jolteon's Baton Pass.

So all of my streaks are still going except in Battle Tower and Factory.

Jumpman16

np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
After finally RNGing a good latias, drapion, and scizor I decided to finally seriously attempt the battle tower (Thanks Jumpman for team idea!)

Latias (F)
Item: Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
IVs: 31HP,14Atk, 31Def, 31SpA, 31SpD, 31Spe
EVs: 252HP,252Def,6Spe
Nature: Bold

Trick
Thunderwave
Charm
Flash

The standard trick lead, was going to use Cresselia until i realized that charm actually mattered A LOT. I decided to not care too much about speed as many things would outrun it with scarf anyway. If this was a bad idea please tell me!

Drapion (M)
Item: Black Sludge
Ability: Battle Armor - anti bs FTW!!! =)
IVs: 31HP,31Atk, 31Def, 6SpA, 31SpD, 31Spe
EVs: 252HP,56Def,196SpD, Spe6
Nature: Careful

Crunch
Acupressure - GG broken in the tower
Substitue
Rest

Identical to Jumpman's (lol couldn't resist) I fell in love with this pokemon from battle one so hes never come out of my party. +6 in everything just feels awesome.

Scizor (F)
Item: Leftovers
IVs: 31HP, 31Atk, 31Def, 17SpA, 31SpD, 31Spe
EVs: 80HP, 252Atk, 4Def, 4SpD, 170Spe

Bullet Punch
Superpower
Substitute
Swords Dance

Also almost identical to Jumpman's (Not sure if there even is a difference). Scizor however, is a bit more frail then i though he was though so i might replace him with registeel any thoughts?

First attempt: Lost at battle 80 to a Jynx (choice specs). I tricked and he icebeam 2HKO couldn't do anything. Dumbly sent in Drapion ice beam froze, ice beam KO. Sent in scizor (should have done that before) dance icebeam dance ice beam (30 hp left) bullet punch kill. Something else came in (forgot what it was) OHKO with bullet punch. Then comes slowking =( and gg with surf.

Second attempt: Lost at battle 35 porygon -Z lead destroyed me with ice beam. How does everyone get so lucky as to not get such bad luck at such low levels!!!!!!!!!!
Good luck! Thanks for giving my ideas a try. I had thought about Latias/Drapion/Scizor with Scizor being the obvious answer for Ice Issues, but the "hax" of one untimely Ice Beam freeze would be enough to stop the chances of a really long streak. On paper, you'd think Garchomp/Drapion is more susceptible to this, but it has everything to do with the lead drawing Ice attacks so it's actually less of an issue.

Regarding your battles, they kind of underline why Ice beam is such a problem for your team. Your only real option is to SD with Scizor and hope to not get frozen and also to have favorable matchups later, and you'll run into this much more than you'd like given Latias is an Ice magnet.

I've been theorymonning a Lapras for the third slot on a team like this to soak up Ice Beams and prevent freezing, and I think Lapras@Leftovers: Waterfall/Ice Shard/Curse/Sub, 252HP/4Atk/252SpD, Shell Armor is the best set. Things like Charizard FT, Infernape FT, and Gengar Shadow ball aren't even guaranteed to break Lapras's Sub (barely but still), and you can forget about physical attacks on 237HP and 400Def stats that make even Lv100 252HP/Def+ Dusknoir jealous (probably mainly because Lapras can actually use Curse correctly lol). Adding Shell Armor to all this makes Lapras seem really awesome on paper, but it would probably be really annoyed by electrics and fighters since +6 Ice Shard doesn't kill a whole lot of pokemon. Going with Avalanche over Sub to triple the Ice damage (Avalanche doesn't get 120 BP if the foe hits your Sub) seems appetizing but risky even with Lapras's Shell Armor inability to be OHKOed by literally any move (even Raikou Wise Glasses Thunder [71-87%]). This is because of dumb Paralysis stuff on stuff I have to Waterfall, and Focus Sash/Counter garbage—seven pokes have this combo including mega idiot Gliscor who takes SE damage from both WF and IS and would OHKO with Counter then outspeed Drapion. Otherwise, against sash/counter pokemon like Breloom and Weavile, I can use the NVE move first then use the normal- or super effective move, essentially employing a rather *puts on sunglasses*... "effective" strategy (Phiddlesticks that was for you!).

This would make going without Sub on a sweeper poke in the BT actually a somewhat worry-free proposition for the first time, at least on paper, but there's probably some dumb stuff that will be able to kill Shell Armor +6Def Lapras with 237HP/161SpD. In a cursory look at what possibly could, Venusaur is OHKOed by Ice Shard every time, and while Meganium 3 is not (78-93%), it is incapable of killing 100% HP lapras even with Overgrow Leaf Storm, which does 200-236HP, and I find that kind of hilarious (if I weren't at 100% HP I'd just switch to Drapion probably or just Waterfall it first with the same "effective" strat I'd use for some of the Counter/Sash pokes).

Anyway, you may wanna consider swapping Scizor out, or not, but Ice moves will continue to be a major pest for you since most of them aren't softened by Charm and all of them can freeze (basically everything but Avalanche, since you'll probably never face a Turn 1 Ice Shard).

Hey there gang, long-time lurker and studier, fairly minimal poster, haha. SoulSilver's release got me back into the game (played Diamond a lot at its release) and since I have a singles team on Diamond, I wanted to have at least one Doubles team too. So while working on getting a Zapdos and Swampert, I figured why not get a third Pokemon to complement them and at least get a start in the Battle Frontier? So after brainstorming a bit, I went with Scizor, and ended up with some pretty solid typing.

With a team of three, and recalling my struggles way back when in the Diamond Battle Tower, I opted to go with the Single Arcade and the Castle.

Zapdos **Thunder
Ability: Pressure
IVs: Can't remember, averaged around 20s, Speed: 29
EVs: Can't remember, enough in SPA and Speed to hit 330 and 320 at Lv100 with some defensive bulk

Discharge
Heat Wave
Light Screen
Roost

Since it's tailored for Double, it's packing Discharge instead of Thunderbolt. But it didn't end up hurting it all that much, and getting the 30% paralysis chance to hit was nice when it worked.

Swampert (M) **SwampThing
Ability: Torrent
IVs: 29/20/31/30/19/26
EVs: 244 HP / 186 Def / 80 Sp.Def
Nature: Relaxed

Earthquake
Hydro Pump
Ice Beam
Protect

Basically what it'll be running for Double, haha. I debated switching out Hydro Pump for Surf since I don't like 80% accuracy, but kept it since 1) it would earn me a few more kills Surf wouldn't, and 2) it's annoying leveling up Mudkip just to get it.

Scizor (M) **Ryu
IVs: 17/24/26/30/31/29
EVs: 190 HP / 252 Atk / 68 Spd (for 181 Speed @ Lv100)

Bullet Punch
X-Scissor
Reversal
Night Slash

Big fan of Technician Bullet Punch, plus he gives me a 4x resistance to Grass when Swampert looks cornered. Later after earning enough points via the Arcade, I replaced X-Scissor with Bug Bite and Reversal with Superpower (didn't really want Reversal to begin with and hadn't brought over a Brick Break TM from 3rd Gen).

SoulSilver Single Battle Arcade: 54
Battle #49 Video: 37-40962-78383

I don't have too much trouble with the roulette; only two times did the roulette stop in the computer's favor. On the Gold Print Battle, I was hoping for Paralysis to show up, and sure enough it did. So I got to play this one with Dahlia's team paralyzed.

Zapdos 2HKOs Togekiss, and gets one Discharge off on Zapdos before eating a critical hit Thunderbolt. He only hits Swampert with Air Cutter, then Swampert wastes Blaziken, although just in case he did any Endure-Reversal shenanigans I used Protect first.

Ended up losing to a team with Whiscash and Medicham. This is also one of the two battles where I helped the CPU on the roulette (gave their Pokes Scope Lens). I had Zapdos set up a Light Screen, and got hit by Stone Edge. I then PP stalled him out of Stone Edge with Roost and switched in Swampert against Whiscash, and it was a pretty even duel until Swampert died on a critical hit Zen Headbutt. Scizor cleaned up the red-health Whiscash with Bullet Punch. Then came in Medicham. Now I figured he could have Fire Punch, but I didn't want to risk Zapdos getting hit by it (at around 50% health), so I decided to X-Scissor him thinking Scizor would outspeed him.

Whoops. Scizor eats the Fire Punch, and then Zapdos is back in. I should've used Discharge right away, but I figured he may do Ice Punch which would let me Roost. He uses Psycho Cut instead and does more damage than Roost can Recover. I fire a Discharge; he fires a critical-hit Psycho Cut. Sorry Zapdos.

At least checking now, I now know Scizor will barely ever outspeed Medicham. Eh, tough lesson learned, but I got the Gold Print. The Arcade is really fun though, so I'll try this again sometime down the line.

SoulSilver Single Battle Castle: 49

Doesn't make the top 20 cut unfortunately, but again got the Print. During the run leading up to #49, I was more concerned with assuring I'd get there and so spent more points to get those wins. At #49, Zapdos had a Lum Berry and Swampert had Leftovers. After checking Entei's moves, I figured he could be annoying if he lingered around, so with exactly 30 BP left I lower his and Gallade's levels (not fearing Empoleon in the slightest). Zapdos and Swampert take this one pretty handily.

On the next one, leveled up a Ninetales thinking no major harm to Zapdos if a Light Screen goes up. But even with a Lum Berry, Ninetales outspeeds Zapdos and hits with Hypnosis twice, and does the same thing to Swampert. Naturally, Scizor is toast.

Also almost lost #48, coming down to Scizor vs. Scizor. I had already Superpowered once without killing it, and his Aerial Ace did a lot of damage. Knowing the next hit would kill me, I hoped Superpower could do enough damage, and thank God it critical hit the other Scizor.

Anyway, that's my first notable Battle Frontier run for SoulSilver! Hope you guys enjoyed it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)