Issue #9 Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love it! The art was awesome. Very insightful, the double interview was awesome. Lazy Mekkah ;)

P.S. I was the first to talk about ice defense hail boost. I posted it like 2 months ago in the black and white thread.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I just gave the issue a read-through. Great work! Notable standouts for me:

• Phil's Protips were perfect. Great mix of information and style.

• SDS did a great job with Breloom. I've been a 'Loom fan forever, but that article made me want to fire up a Shroom team, and do some SubPunching just for fun.

• The OU RMT by undisput3ed and TOF was a nice read, and I normally don't get too interested in RMT's in the Smog

• Scofield's Lead Synergy article caught my eye because of the layout and quick hit blurbs for key pokemon. That drew me in to read the whole thing and I really enjoyed it. Nice work, Scofield.

• Mekkah's TCG article was surprisingly interesting, since I have never played TCG and still don't intend to. But, Mekkah did a great job of making the article accessible to general pokemon enthusiasts. I enjoyed the read.

• Deck Knight's speculations on B&W were a nice comic diversion with some great historical game tidbits thrown in.

• The art was the best overall effort I have seen in any issue to date. Cartoon's Venusaur, Icepick's Tyranitar, Cyzir's Latias, HellaHellaStyle's Breloom, and Hen's Moltres were the ones that really stood out for me. But, big props to all the contributing artists in this ish.

Awesome as ever!

By the way, the article "Featured type: Dragon" mentions that either of Giratina´s STAB moves coupled with Aura Sphere nets unresisted coverage. The only mon resisting dragon+finghtning, Shedinja is actually sometimes used in Ubers, and might warrant a mention.

Edit: lol'd at "That's like telling Jimbo to use quick attack..."
... feeling bad. That was a personal insult after all.

Alchemator

my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Fantastic issue you guys. I especially liked the good commenting by ToF on the RMT.

Edit: Raichu's Azumarill disguise was pretty cool too.
Yeah I got mentioned ;D

Great job everyone, and especially a big thanks to user jumpluff who htmlises almost everything! Noob vashta :P

bojangles

IF YOU TRULY BELIEVE,
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Just wanted to congratulate everybody on this amazing issue, and to say I'm sorry I couldn't be a bit more involved in its creation. The artwork is truly fantastic (icepick's tyranitar is too good ._.) and special thanks to jumpluff, the HTML queen, and the various writers who really give it their all (this means you guys, Erazor and Alchemator). Congrats!

Nice job reverb on the underrated move sets that was an awesome article and it helped me and im sure will help others alot...Expect now people might acually prepare for agility luc :'(.....Lol awesome smog!

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Echoing the others who said that the art was excellent. It really was. The Moltres art in particular was fantastic!

The art was especially good in this issue. For the last lead synergy set, it should be noted that Choice Scarf Breloom can be used in place of Roserade for a more accurate Sleep move without losing the ability to revenge-kill later in the game. Expert Belt Tyranitar also deserves a mention in the Underrated Movesets article, as it can net a huge number of surprise OHKOes on Scizor, Heatran, other Tyranitar, and more.

I have a minor nitpick with the lead synergy article.

Why not lead with metagross in the starmie/metagross combo, as it beats more of the 11 leads you posted then starmie does.

I will assume my personal favourite set which is the lumgross with meteor mash, SR, bullet punch and explosion.

Azelf: Metagross does better unless mash misses but hey its not as risky as hydro pumping

Aerodactyl: Metagross

Swampert: Starmie

Metagross: Starmie

Jirachi: probably metagross depends on their move choice and the set

Infernape: Starmie

Machamp: Metagross

Roserade: Metagross

Tyranitar: Metagross

Gliscor: starmie

Heatran: Starmie

As you can see we sit at Starmie 5 and metagross 6 although starmie comes back further down the list which leaves us at the conclusion

If you hate machamp, lead with metagross.

Wow i answered my own question, awsome, however I would like scofield to give us a slightly larger insight.

Scofield

Ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhh, Kate.......
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
I have a minor nitpick with the lead synergy article.

Why not lead with metagross in the starmie/metagross combo, as it beats more of the 11 leads you posted then starmie does.

I will assume my personal favourite set which is the lumgross with meteor mash, SR, bullet punch and explosion.

Azelf: Metagross does better unless mash misses but hey its not as risky as hydro pumping

Aerodactyl: Metagross

Swampert: Starmie

Metagross: Starmie

Jirachi: probably metagross depends on their move choice and the set

Infernape: Starmie

Machamp: Metagross

Roserade: Metagross

Tyranitar: Metagross

Gliscor: starmie

Heatran: Starmie

As you can see we sit at Starmie 5 and metagross 6 although starmie comes back further down the list which leaves us at the conclusion

If you hate machamp, lead with metagross.

Wow i answered my own question, awsome, however I would like scofield to give us a slightly larger insight.
Apparently you missed the point of the article. It isn't to have the best chance at having a favorable lead match up but rather to defeat your opponent's lead while giving you the momentum/advantage. In other words, I don't give a fuck if Metagross matches up better to more leads than Starmie. If you lead with lum gross, you give up Rocks to Heatran, Infernape, etc, for free, losing you momentum. Whereas leading with Starmie applies pressure to leads which Metagross cannot (Gliscor, etc) while enticing most leads to attack Starmie (Roserade with leaf storm, Machamp with Payback, Aero with Rock Slide, etc) and with Starmie's deadly coverage, not many leads will attempt to overpredict, allowing Metagross to easily shrug off Leaf Storms, Rock Slides or whatever. And then Metagross is out against Roserade or whatever anyways and all it has cost you is minor health.

Great job as always guys. The issues always leave me wanting more because they are excellent reads. I thought Phil and scofields battling strategy articles were especially well written. Maximizing chances at winning, although it's pretty obvious when you stop and think about it, is one of the most overlooked aspects of the game that I see on the ladder whenever I start on a fresh alt. Keep up the great work everyone!

Echoing the others who said that the art was excellent. It really was. The Moltres art in particular was fantastic!

^_______^ Thanks!

Lol I submitted it to my art page on dA and apparently thoroughly creeped out the members there. XD

I figured you guys would *get* it. <3

Both Pokémon make excellent leads, but by leading with Starmie, it is easier to prevent Forretress and Skarmory leads, which are becoming more popular, from setting up entry hazards.

I understand your reasoning however this doesnt say too much about momentum but no offense I was just curious.

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The list of the Smogon Premier league teams has an error: one team has all its players listed as assistant managers.

Good issue.

OK, I gotta admit, I read through phil's protips, and got to the bottom, and laughed at zerowings "tips". keepin the runnin gag from the last one going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)