Gen 2 BellyZard Team

I want to create a team that effectively sets up a sweep with Charizard using belly drum. Here's what I've got so far.

Charizard
Belly Drum
Earthquake
Rock Slide
Fire Blast

notes- obvious set

Snorlax
Rest
Body Slam
Earthquake
Fire Blast/Thunder

notes- Basically I want him to soak up all special attacks and spread paralysis but I need the right mixlax set.

Starmie
Surf
Thunderbolt
Thunder Wave
Recover

notes- It can fend off any threatening water types and paralyze stuff

Exeggutor
Sleep Powder
Explosion
Psychic
Giga Drain

notes- Will lure out electrics and Tyranitar and then blow up on or sleep respectively.

Steelix
Earthquake
Explosion
Curse
Roar

notes- a good phazer

Dragonite
Light Screen- cause if I miss stopping a water or electric counter, this will let Charizard beat it.
Thunder Wave- cause paralysis is awesome for this team
Tunderbolt/Ice Beam/Surf- I'm still working on which special move would be most useful though I'm leaning toward thunderbolt
Iron Tail- I know this sounds odd but its effect can soften up common switches and it's powerful off his big attack. Gengar would normally wall dragonite but this way he can fight back. However, Return and Surf may be a more practical combination. What do you think?

EDIT: Updated the team but still need suggestions.

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Snorlax is too defensive. Make it a belly drummer with:
Double-Edge/Return
Earthquake/Lovely Kiss/Rest/Fire Blast
Earthquake/Lovely Kiss/Rest/Fire Blast
Belly Drum
(moveslots with multiple options are listed in order of what I personally recommend for this team, what actually works best could vary.)

Starmie has little to do on this team. Replace with Clamp/Screech/Explosion/Spikes Cloyster. This lures and blows up on opposing Cloyster/Suicume/Starmie to open up Bellyzard.

Donphan is useless, too defensive for this team, and there's better phazers/setup pokemon out there anyway. Replace with Curse/Explosion/Roar/(Earthquake or Body Slam) Steelix. Keeps your ground-type phazer and blows up on the aforementioned waters.

Jumpluff is awful, a minor annoyance at best. There's better things to inflict status, Jumpluff is fragile and can't do anything else to force the foe to shuffle his mons, meaning you'll just be hitting the same thing over and over with futile stun spores/toxics (likely something that doesn't mind status too much), meaning free switches for your opponent when Jumpluff comes in. Replace with Thunderbolt/Explosion/Mean Look/(Get Creative) Gengar to lure and kill Raikou so he can't stop your Charizard sweep by coming out after you kill one of your opponent's mons. Beware of Reflect variants of Raikou if you use Gengar. They can screw you over if you aren't careful.

Last pokemon could be a number of things. Eggy could be useful for luring and killing Zapdos if you don't want to rely on Charizard winning the speed tie, and it could status a few things before it booms. Roar Raikou is a good phazer if you feel you'll need one after Steelix booms. He's a good lead for stopping Joltwak setups and for scouting in general. Golem could be used, either in conjunction with or as a replacement for Steelix; although no team should be carrying more than two of Suicune/Starmie/Cloyster, Golem gives you some room for error if your foe has two waters that you need to kill. Marowak is another sweeper that greatly appreciates having the anti-Charizard waters out of the picture. Nidoking could be a good lead/mixed attacker, hitting lots of stuff for good damage and maybe putting something annoying to sleep. Tyranitar if you go without EQ on Lax, because even though Lax is not the focus of the team, if you need to rely on it, it'd be silly to have it stopped by ghosts. Plus, it's a good mixed attacker that hits lots of stuff and softens up the opponent's team. Of these options, I'd most highly recommend Raikou, with Egg being second. The rest is mostly just me throwing crap into the fan, thinking it might work. (Golem is my least recommended of the above, followed in order by Tyranitar, Nidoking, and Marowak.)

gumnas

formerly .Maguss.
I'd like to suggest Zapdos for this team too. Can paralyze stuff with Thunder Wave and/or pass Reflect/Light Screen/both to help Charizard set-up. Also, can Whirlwind to scout stuff and is very good if Spikes is already on the field.

Dragonite is another good Pokémon to paralyze stuff, specially Raikou, and possibly Gengar if you have luck.

The offensive suggestions that were made have been very helpful. I tend to have a more defensive play style which worked itself in and hindered what is clearly a team that needs to attack.

I replaced Jumpluff with Exeggutor and Donphan with Steelix. I'm still not convinced that Starmie is useless, however.

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
If you do want to hang on to Starmie, it should do what .Maguss.'s suggested mons would do, which is spreading paralysis (especially against Raikou) and/or passing Reflect/Light Screen. Paralysis is quite effective in GSC, even with Heal Bell and Rest on every defensive team out there.

I'd definitely use Stun in Eggy. Paralyzing Raikou/Starmie/Suicune is very important for bellyZard based teams.
In Starmie I'd go with either TW or Reflect. The former is useful for para Raikou/Zapdos. RS is ok too.
Lax is ok imo. It is not your sweeper so you will want to last in the battle as much as possible for having more time to prepare Zard sweep.
Watch out for Marowak! I'd go with Skarm instead of Weez...
Also try to scout Explosion or you will finish exploding into Skarm!, who can come whenever it wants and stall you out. And you "don't care" abaut what happens with Skarm in comparison with what happens with Suicune/Starmie.

Karrot

plant
is a Past WCoP Champion
For Snorlax, you really want to avoid another Belly Drummer IMO if you really want to focus on a bellyzard sweep. Drumlax is a good offensive but you want to be targeting Charizard's main counters, and Drumlax doesn't really do that. That said, I think the best set for this situation would be:
Mixlax
Double-Edge
Earthquake
Rest
Thunder

It's one of my favorites in GSC. This will help stack of a LOT of residential damage on the opposing team, which means Charizard will have an easier time cleaning in the long run. You can afford to play a little aggressive since you have Rest, meaning an extra hit on that Rhydon or a shot at paralyzing random things such as Miltank and Suicune with Thunder. Keeping your opponent's Pokemon damaged and paralyzed is very important for this kind of team.

Well, I guess you could run Self-destruct instead of Rest, too. Kaboom.

I have updated my team. I took out Weezing. While interesting, he really didn't do anything for the team. In his stead, I think I want either Tyranitar, Houndoom, or Umbreon with pursuit to take out Gengar. I believe He's the last problem I haven't fully addressed. Which one should I choose?

I heard Stun Spore on Eggy but what should I replace?

I take issue with blowing up half my team, so snorlax will not carry self destruct. Using a mixed set sounds like a good idea.

If you knew you were facing a belly drumming Charizard, who would you choose to face it and the pokemon on its team trying to set it up?
Two come to mind right away. Gengar to eat explosion and a reflecting Raikou who can phaze and prevent Charizard from taking a pokemon down in one turn despite belly drum.

Stun could go over either Expl or SP, or whatever else really, or use the set you currently have. The main problem of this is that Skarmory is likely to end up taking the boom unless you managed to scout or something the Sleep Powder, but anyway after that it could come into the explosion and your team does not take much benefit from sleeping it.

A pursuiter could also be useful for taking out Gengar and Star to ease a Zard sweep, but Tyrano and Houndoom may lose to them (always to the later, and can take something like DP or Hypnosis from Gengar, but everything can lose to Gengar anyway). And Umbreon is... ... ...

And in Lax i'd go with BS / D-E, EQ, Rest, I'd go with BS, because really BS will only para Skarm if anything. Or Suicune at best, but you can already outspeed it with Zard though you can then try to paraflinch it with your RS.

And for the last slot I'd recommend Skarmory. Rapid Spin in Starmie could give you more time to prepare the Zard sweep. However Thunder in Lax is not going to do much damage to Suicune. And Starmie can recover all the damage. And Thunder will miss 30%... Imo is still better to try toro para-BS them.

gumnas

formerly .Maguss.
Stun could go over either Expl or SP, or whatever else really, or use the set you currently have. The main problem of this is that Skarmory is likely to end up taking the boom unless you managed to scout or something the Sleep Powder, but anyway after that it could come into the explosion and your team does not take much benefit from sleeping it.

A pursuiter could also be useful for taking out Gengar and Star to ease a Zard sweep, but Tyrano and Houndoom may lose to them (always to the later, and can take something like DP or Hypnosis from Gengar, but everything can lose to Gengar anyway). And Umbreon is... ... ...

And in Lax i'd go with BS / D-E, EQ, Rest, I'd go with BS, because really BS will only para Skarm if anything. Or Suicune at best, but you can already outspeed it with Zard though you can then try to paraflinch it with your RS.

And for the last slot I'd recommend Skarmory. Rapid Spin in Starmie could give you more time to prepare the Zard sweep. However Thunder in Lax is not going to do much damage to Suicune. And Starmie can recover all the damage. And Thunder will miss 30%... Imo is still better to try toro para-BS them.
I normally like Crystal suggestions, but that time I have to disagree with some of them.

First, disagree on the Exeggy. Stun Spore should go over Giga Drain if really want it. Sleep Powder and Explosion are way more important for the team.

Agree on the pursuit suggestion. If you want one, go with Tyranitar.

Snorlax SHOULD run Selfdestruct over Rest IMO. You can't think you'll stall out things with a team focused on Bellyzard. You need a fast paced team. It doens't matter if you'll blow up half of your team or more. The higher the number of Explosions/Selfdestructs on the team, higher is the chance to take down Charizard counters.

Skarmory do nothing for the team except stall physical attackers. It can, at most, scout the opponent team (use Steelix, it learn Explosion) or Thief something (you don't really need this).

And as a note, this is just my opinion and arguments. Everyone has their own feeling.

Snorlax SHOULD run Selfdestruct over Rest IMO. You can't think you'll stall out things with a team focused on Bellyzard. You need a fast paced team. It doens't matter if you'll blow up half of your team or more. The higher the number of Explosions/Selfdestructs on the team, higher is the chance to take down Charizard counters.
I understand your point, and I agree that it would be very useful. It's just that how much skill does it take to blow up on three pokemon and then attack what's left?

I have decided to run a Dragonite for support which finally fills up the six slots, so let me know if anyone thinks their movesets need work or a change of pokemon entirely.

Probably a lot more than a Snorlax that rests off its mistakes. There's no undo once you've SD'd.
Okay, I have to give you that one. Still, my friends would probably call me a cheap player. I guess I may just have to tell them to predict better. XD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)