The In-Game Mono-Type Team Challenge

anyone consider a mono-ground platinum?

Torterra (Starter)
Gible Line (Wayward Cave)
Geodude Line (Ravaged Path under Route 204, or near Oreburgh, trade for Golem)
Rhyhorn Line (Route 214, trade with Protector for Rhyperior)[not DP]
Gligar (Route 206, night level-up w/Razor Fang for Gliscor)[not DP]
Hippo Line (Ruin Maniac Cave/Path by Route 214)
Wooper Line (Great Marsh, Quagsire on S. Route 212; check for Water Absorb!)
Shellos Line (earliest West is S. Route 205, East is S. Route 212 or Route 213)
Swinub Line (Route 217 or Acuity Lakefront, Ancient Power w/Heart Scale for Mamo)[not DP]

So a final team should look something like Torterra/Quagsire/Gliscor/Mamoswine/Hippowdon/Garchomp?

[Or in DP, Torterra/Quagsire/Hippowdon/Garchomp/Golem/Gastrodon-e?]

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
I think a difficult one might be Mono Dragon in Ruby or Sapphire.
HG/SS would be next to impossible without trading, at least at first. The only Dragons you have access to are Dratini in Goldenrod, and Kingdra if you trade. At least pre-National Pokedex or using the Pokewalker anyway.

On the other hand a team of Dragonites and Kingdras would absolutely kick ass, there'd be almost nothing that could stop them except Pryce, Clair, and Lance. Post-National Pokedex you can also throw in Lati@s, and the other dragons if you wait out the Safari Zone.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
I'm thinking that this isn't really much of a "Challenge" per se, as there's no consequence. So, I'm personally gonna add in the stipulation that you can only lose your team 3 (Maybe 5) times or else you lose and have to start over. Adding that makes things a bit more difficult, but gives you breathing room enough so that you aren't just fucked over when you undoubtedly get swept by a pokemon who packs the one SE move that destroy your entire team.

Managed to beat Roxanne after finally deciding to use Wingull. Just a quick q though, do I HAVE to keep Wingull for the entire playthrough or can I just ditch it for Gyarados right now?

BurningMan

fueled by beer
I'm thinking that this isn't really much of a "Challenge" per se, as there's no consequence. So, I'm personally gonna add in the stipulation that you can only lose your team 3 (Maybe 5) times or else you lose and have to start over. Adding that makes things a bit more difficult, but gives you breathing room enough so that you aren't just fucked over when you undoubtedly get swept by a pokemon who packs the one SE move that destroy your entire team.
totally depends on the type/game you choose e.g. as said doing grass in hg/ss seems like pain, but you are right some extra rules(maybe pseudo nuzlocke pokemon dies release and you may catch every pokemon only once)
can make the run more interesting.

anyone consider a mono-ground platinum?

Torterra (Starter)
Gible Line (Wayward Cave)
Geodude Line (Ravaged Path under Route 204, or near Oreburgh, trade for Golem)
Rhyhorn Line (Route 214, trade with Protector for Rhyperior)[not DP]
Gligar (Route 206, night level-up w/Razor Fang for Gliscor)[not DP]
Hippo Line (Ruin Maniac Cave/Path by Route 214)
Wooper Line (Great Marsh, Quagsire on S. Route 212; check for Water Absorb!)
Shellos Line (earliest West is S. Route 205, East is S. Route 212 or Route 213)
Swinub Line (Route 217 or Acuity Lakefront, Ancient Power w/Heart Scale for Mamo)[not DP]

So a final team should look something like Torterra/Quagsire/Gliscor/Mamoswine/Hippowdon/Garchomp?

[Or in DP, Torterra/Quagsire/Hippowdon/Garchomp/Golem/Gastrodon-e?]
probably the best idea in my opinion.

Like Burningman said, the challenge of the run is entirely up to how hard you make it.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
I have finally completed my Rock type run on Soul Silver and found it pretty challenging imo it is not doable without healing items OR massive grinding.

I completed the Elite 4 with:

Pupitar lvl 45 Relaxed
Crunch
Rock Slide
Earthquake
Dark Pulse

Magcargo lvl 45 Rash
Flamethrower
Ancient Power
Recover
Yawn

Golem lvl 45 neutral nature
Rockblast
Earthquake
Explosion
Rock Smash

Rhydon lvl 45 Lax
Rockblast
Strength
Hammer arm
Stone edge

Omastar lvl 49 neutral nature (my starter poke)

Surf
Ice Beam
Ancient Power
Tickle

Pidgay lvl 14 just to have fly^^

I completed Kanto/Red with:

Omastar lvl 55
same moveset as above

Tyranitar lvl 55
same moveset except stone edge for dark pulse

Magcargo lvl 55
same moveset

Rhyperior lvl 56
same plus eq for Rock blast

Kabutops lvl 55
Waterfall
Aquajet
Cut
Rock slide

Aerodactyl lvl 55
Fly
Iron Head
Crunch
Roost

As a final resume Rock was quite fun and not extremely hard while still challenging just try to start with a water/grass rock type else you will be fucked when you face a strong water type.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
So here I am doin my mono-ground challenge in Ruby. Let me tell you right now... Trapinch is a whore. Seriously. I can't think of anything harder to train that that piece of garbage. It's strongest move is a non-STAbed Bite up until level 33, and he can barely train in the underground beneath Mauville where half of all possible attacks don't even affect him. He manages, somehow, to find a way to die.

But no matter, because now I have acquired surf, which allows me to get the Good Rod, which means I can go fishing for a little Barboach in the watering hole next to the Winstrate house. I figured with my Trapinch at level 28, I might as well get some training in for him on the handful of Magikarp and maybe a Goldeen before my Barboach pops up.

That was about 45 minutes ago.

I have since evolved Trapinch to a Vibrava and have been slowly losing my mind over the 40 Magikarps and 30 Goldeens that I have seen, and still not a single Barboach. Pull after pull, Magikarp, comes out and laughs at me, or Goldeen wryly taunts me. So many pieces of crap. I start saying "Fuck you too" to every single Magikarp that pops up, or "I sincerely hope you die in a fire."

Until finally there it was. A barboach appeared. I was so happy I could almost cry. Finally this gruelling fishing expedition is over!

So I use Sand Tomb once to weaken him up a bit. The Barboach loses about 33% and then another 6% to the residual. Barboach attempts to use Magnitude, scoring a 9, but Vibrava's Levitate makes ground moves miss. Things are looking good. Now I have a decision to make... Should I try to throw a Poke Ball now, or should I try to weaken it a little bit more with another Sand Tomb? I think about the residual damage, and while it may cut things tight after a second attack, it just isn't enough to wear the Barboach down to a point where he's easily caught.

So, I decide to tempt fate, and select Sand Tomb.

Critical Hit.

Barboach Fainted.

I screamed. I screamed so loud my cat panicked and dug her claws deep into my lap where she was sleeping. Then I screamed in pain.

I'm currently doing a Mono-Fighting run on my Diamond version.
Infernape
Poliwrath
Breloom
Gallade
Lucario
Toxicroak

I have 7 badges and am on my way to fight Team Galactic and still Toxicroak has done nothing useful...at all. Everyone on my team is great except that damn frog and his terribly weak Rock Smash

I'm currently doing a Mono-Fighting run on my Diamond version.
Infernape
Poliwrath
Breloom
Gallade
Lucario
Toxicroak

I have 7 badges and am on my way to fight Team Galactic and still Toxicroak has done nothing useful...at all. Everyone on my team is great except that damn frog and his terribly weak Rock Smash
he gets revenge at lvl 22, why are you settling on rock smash?

A fun fact about pokémon is that you can actually do two runs at a time. Yes, you just have to do all your run without saving and then, when your finished go back to your old game. I have a game on platinum with traded pokes in it (i dont get the get the chance to trade often; i stole my cousin's DS during a visit and traded with my own heart gold pretenting my stomach wasnt going so well) and all my good IVd pokes were in it too so i didnt erase it, i just started another game without saving.

Also, I caught a growlithe with Hidden Power Grass in a heartgold playthrough (at least 60 bp). Im proud.

EDIT: Fighting mono-team in Platinum is reaaaaaaaally interesting. Ground too btw.

I'm doing a mono bug run on SS right now (didn't even know about this challenge). Right now I have Yanmega, Butterfree, Scyther and Heracross. Fun run so far.

Me and my firend were actually planning a little race. We must each run through a mono-type team with every type. First one to do all 17 wins. We established a couple rules.

-Each pokemon must start as an egg and be transferred over
-No in-game item usage
-Battle mode is set

Looking through these actually makes me a little excited, but we can't decide if we want to do it on Platinum or HG/SS yet

Me and my firend were actually planning a little race. We must each run through a mono-type team with every type. First one to do all 17 wins. We established a couple rules.

-Each pokemon must start as an egg and be transferred over
-No in-game item usage
-Battle mode is set

Looking through these actually makes me a little excited, but we can't decide if we want to do it on Platinum or HG/SS yet
Well HG/SS is certainly the easier run, unless you go far all 16 gyms. For speed I'd choose the first 8 badges+E4 of HG/SS.

I've done mono-water runs in every generation. All 4 were cake. Blastoise destroys everything in RBY, Water/Ground and Water/Flying become an option in GSC, RSE is ridiculously easy with Swampert and Ludicolo, and DPPt was probably hardest, but there were still plenty of good choices. Tentacruel is a great early Mon in the latter three.

I'm gonna be doing a mono-Rock run of HG. Shouldn't be too difficult. To supply my team, I'm going to produce eggs for all 6 teammates on SS, transfer them over to HG along with a Magmar, hatch them all, and then send all but my 'starter' Rock-type back. On the SS cartridge, I'll be leveling the other 5 Pokemon.

At each Pokecenter I come to, I'll re-receive the next Rock-Type from SS, leveled to the same approximate level at which wild pokemon can be found in that area.

This way, the Pokemon I receive one-by-one belong to the HG cartridge, so they don't gain boosted experience and won't stop obeying me. Also, by controlling their levels, it stops me from having any ridiculously overleveled poke while still not forcing me to level a new poke from 1 every time I reach a pokecenter. Natures/IVs will be taken as they come, no rerolling.

I'm putting the difficulty rating at Easy for this one. 2 trouble gyms in Johto, 1 trouble E4, 3 trouble gyms in Kanto. Starting out should be easy, as the first 2 Johto gym leaders are weak to Rock. The gyms and E4 make it about Medium difficulty to begin with, but the fact that I have control over my choice of pokemon brings this to Easy. Egg moves (or a Tutor move to be given from SS in Lunatone's case) have been assigned to give team members reliable attacks if they don't learn any decent STABs or coverage moves via level-up early on (or at all). Nothing too powerful has been given out, meaning no LOLLEVEL1KABUTO WITH SD AND WATERFALL.

Meet the Team:

Pokecenter #1) Aron -> Lairon -> Aggron ("Starter") (Rock Tomb)
Pokecenter #2) Lileep -> Cradily (Mega Drain)
Pokecenter #3) Anorith -> Armaldo (Rock Smash)
Pokecenter #4) Lunatone (AncientPower)
Pokecenter #5) Kabuto -> Kabutops (Aqua Jet)
Pokecenter #6) Aerodactyl (No Egg moves needed because he's a GODDAMN BEAST).

Whenever I mono type I pick a random type from a random number generator and hack all the pokes on an emulator. No ubers though. I've done Crystal grass, Pain in the freaking ass. Lances Charizard, Phoebe's Houndoom, Gary's Arcanine and Red's Charizard were a BITCH. I think the team was Vileplume, Celebi, Eggy, Jumpluff (MVP) Venusaur and Meganium.

Did Poison in Emerald. Easier than I thought poison gives alot of secondary typing options. Tate and Lizas gym was a bitch but it always is anyway. I think it was Nidoking, Tentacruel (MVP) Venusaur, Crobat and Weezing

Firered Flying WAY too easy. Charizard, Swellow, Mence, D-Nite, Aero and Zapdos. Just a joke really.

Did half of Crystal mono bug. Scizor, Forry, Ledian (suprisingly good), Butterfree, Hera, Beedrill.

Yeah I know I'm probably not MLG Legiiit for hacking pokes but its not like I hack them at level 50 or something. They're at whatever level I would normally find in that area.

Started Mono-Ground on Pearl yesterday. Started with Turtwig, evolved to Grotle in Roark battle. Caught Geodude, taught him Rock Smash (need to unlearn it asap). It learend Rock Throw & Magnitude. Caught Shellos. I think I have a problem vs. Gardenia... Any tips?

Sinnoh Dex, sorted by type

The Diamond & Pearl Sinnoh Dex, sorted by type. Always useful when looking for a Mono-Type challenge.

Torterra
Roserade
Cherrim
Carnivine
Abomasnow

Roserade
Crobat
Dustox
Gengar
Skuntank
Drapion
Toxicroak
Tentacruel

Torterra
Golem
Steelix
Gastrodon
Whiscash
Garchomp
Quagsire
Hippowdon

Golem
Rampardos
Bastiodon
Sudowoodo

Infernape
Rapidash

Infernape
Machamp
Heracross
Medicham
Lucario
Toxicroak

Empoleon
Bibarel
Gyarados
Golduck
Floatzel
Gastrodon
Seaking
Whiscash
Quagsire
Pelipper
Azumarill
Octilerry
Lumineon
Tentacruel
Milotic
Mantine
Palkia
Manaphy

Empoleon
Steelix
Bastiodon
Bronzong
Lucario
Dialga

Staraptor
Bibarel
Ambipom
Lopunny
Purugly
Blissey
Clefable
Chatot
Noctowl
Snorlax
Girafarig

Staraptor
Gyarados
Crobat
Mothim
Beautifly
Vespiquen
Drifblim
Honchkrow
Chatot
Noctowl
Pelipper
Mantine

Kricketune
Wormadam
Mothim
Beautifly
Dustox
Vespiquen
Heracross

Luxray
Pachirisu
Raichu

Alakazam
Chimecho
Medicham
Bronzong
Mr. Mime
Unown
Girafarig
Uxie
Mesprit
Azelf

Driblim
Gengar
Mismagius
Spiritomb

Honchkrow
Skuntank
Spiritomb
Drapion
Weavile

Garchomp
Dialga
Palkia

Abomasnow
Weavile

I'm doing mono bug in Soul Silver. Ledian is significantly worse than Ariados... but I'll live. Currently at Bugsy, I just started yesterday. I had to get Ledyba at 18 in order to beat the gym. Planning on picking up Paras in the coming forest, Heracross from headbutting, Scyther -> Scizor in the bug catching contest area. Yanma and Shuckle are attractive, but we'll see..

Gardenia turned out great. Shellos appeared to have HP Ice (Yay). He KO'd Cherubi, but died at Turtwig. I sent in Grotle, cursed up and ko'd it with Tackle... I was planning to use Graveler's Selfdestruct to KO Roserade, but I'm to slow, and Grotle already had some curses up. Can't get a Gible, as I need Strength. Currently in - let's see, what is this place called - Veilstone City. Gonna run my legs of for a Hippopotas. Shellos evolved into Gastrodon. I don't expect any trouble in the next gym (Fighting), as all my pokemon have high defenses.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Mono-type Electric for HeartGold and SoulSilver is pretty painful until you have access to Chinchou, as you have no decent means of really hurting rock/ground types prior to then (Focus Blast via Goldenrod Department store is an option, but at 5PP and 70% accuracy it'll probably bite you in the ass).

Regional Dex for Johto, Electrics
-Mareep/Flaaffy/Ampharos - Available before the first gym
-Pichu/Pikachu/Raichu - Available via Pokewalker, or after getting National Dex
-Magnemite/Magneton - Available after third gym or via Pokewalker, cannot evolve to Magnezone without trade to DPPt.
-Voltorb/Electrode - Available via in-game trade or in Team Rocket HQ
-Elekid/Electabuzz - Available via Pokewalker, or after getting National Dex. No Electivire until after getting all 16 badges plus a trade
-Chinchou/Lanturn - Available via fishing once you get Good Rod
-Jolteon - Bill's Eevee
-Raikou - Available after third gym
-Zapdos - Available after getting all 16 badges

Once you get the National Dex, and spend some time with the Safari Zone or Sinnoh/Hoenn Sound (However by that time, you already have the above):
-Electrike/Manectric - Safari Zone
-Plusle/Minun - Hoenn Sound
-Shinx/Luxio/Luxray - Sinnoh Sound

I finished my mono-flying run of Ruby. Final team:

Crobat L.59
Shadow Ball
Fly
Confuse Ray
Poison Fang

Swellow L.58
Endeavor
Quick Attack
Steel Wing
Aerial Ace

Tropius L.58
Solarbeam
Strength
Body Slam
Toxic

Pelipper L.60
Surf
Shock Wave
Protect
Ice Beam

Skarmory L.59
Spikes
Steel Wing
Fly
Agility

Altaria L.60
Dragon Dance
Ice Beam
Earthquake
Flamethrower

Thinking of doing a mono-run on HG/SS. Perhaps Bug. Thoughts?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)