Nuzlocke Challenge

Read a couple posts, and this seems like fun! I'll be doing a challenge on my FireRed since I've been planning on starting a new game on it anyways. Considering this is my first time I think I'll tweak the rules a bit, but remain as faithful as possible to the original ones.

Rules:

• Only one Pokemon can be caught per area of the map (Route, Cave, City etc), and it must be the first Pokemon encounter. If the first Pokemon encountered is failed to be capture for whatever reason, no other Pokemon can be caught in whatever area that was.
  • All Pokemon must be nicknamed
  • If a Pokemon faints it goes into the Graveyard box, never to be used again.
  • Items can only be used outside of battle. Items cannot be bought from shops, only items obtained by other means can be used (Pickup, Finding them on the ground, etc).
  • Only 1 Pokeball per shop may be purchased
  • Infinite Pokecenter uses (No shameless grinding though)
  • Pokemon cannot be traded over from other games, but ingame traded Pokemon are allowed as well as Gift Pokemon (such as Eevee)
  • TMs limited to one per Pokemon, only 1 Pokemon in the party can have an HM at a time (ie, 2 Pokemon actively being used cannot both have Cut)

Body Slam's a pretty cool move. Good damage, chance of paralysis, hits everything but rocks, steel and ghosts

Maybe Shock Wave if you want some electric coverage?

Honestly planning teams out ahead down to movesets in a Nuzlocke seems kind of risky, since one wrong move can mess everything up, so I really suggest trying to keep as close as possible to natural move sets.
(maybe drop Protect for Toxic? Not really sure how good Protect is in-game...)
I'm using protect 4 two reasons: i use yawn+protect 2 mimic instant sleep cause opponents never switch out. This is extremely useful vrs koffing as it only gives them one turn to explode on you (2 if you have to switch into it) the other useful thing is that sludge bomb has a 30% poison rate, so if i get a lucky poison i can protect every other turn to leach out some extra dammage. I'm currently using shock wave, but since thats complelety walled by grounds im going to use water pulse, shadow ball, or ice beam (beam seems unlikey though as other stuff uses the tm better), depending on which pokemon on my team use the tms the best.

Edit: after i wrote this i realized that there arent too many koffings i'm going to have to face, cause there's no team rocket, but the reasoning still stands for other exploders.

Shit. First attempt: Started game, went down, picked starter: Chimchar. (I'm playing platinum). Got owned by mass growls + pound by piplup -_-

RESTART~

Take 2: Started Platinum adventure. Woke up out of bed, set the settings, saved, etc. (Btw are you allowed to save before elite four members and such? Then reset when you lose? or no? And does the no healing items rule apply to the whole game, even the elite four section?) . Went downstairs, then out. Saw my rival, and we both got our pokemon. This time, I spammed leer and scratch ftw. After that, we went back to our houses, healed up, then went to lake verity. After seeing Cyrus, we both went to Sandgem town to get our pokedexes. Then I went back home to talk to my mom, recieve my journal, running shoes, and my friend's "Parcel" ^^. So far so good. Then I went back to Lake verity to catch a pokemon (I saw a pokemon on route 201 b4 i had pokeballs, but not in lake verity) and I see a bidoof. "Great!" I think. I have an easy HM slave. Then I got a crit that killed it =x SHIT!.

To be continued when I make some progress, get better luck, or beat the first gym

btw my starter was Naive chimchar. Sweet nature =DD

Edit: I got a starly! finally =D sweet Hope this thing lasts for a while.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Soft Resetting if you lose is VERY frowned upon. The idea is if you lose a Pokemon, you have to deal with it. If you lose your whole party, too bad. It sucks, but thats how it goes.

No Healing Items applies for the entire game.

Oh I see. anyone ever got through the elite four of any game without healing items? Just wondering if its possible. And yeah, I wont SR.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Oh I see. anyone ever got through the elite four of any game without healing items? Just wondering if its possible. And yeah, I wont SR.
It's possible if you sufficiently outlevel the Elite 4, and/or your Pokemon have recovery moves. Still not without risk.

I can't speak for everyone, but I found the challenge to be outright unfun with no items. Even with full item usage, as long as you don't outlevel your opponents the risk of losing your Pokemon is still very real.

What some people do is "No item usage outside of combat", meaning the only time you can heal up is during combat. Some people take the opposite route: "No item usage during combat". It's really up to you.

It's possible if you sufficiently outlevel the Elite 4, and/or your Pokemon have recovery moves. Still not without risk.

I can't speak for everyone, but I found the challenge to be outright unfun with no items. Even with full item usage, as long as you don't outlevel your opponents the risk of losing your Pokemon is still very real.

What some people do is "No item usage outside of combat", meaning the only time you can heal up is during combat. Some people take the opposite route: "No item usage during combat". It's really up to you.
What i'm doing is no healing items anywhere BEFORE the elite 4. Once i get there i can use all the healing items i want. Normans gonna be a motherf--ker though.

Just updating my Leafgreen Nuzlocke run

Party:
Mothra the Butterfree level 37
FailFish the Gyarados level 33
Forrest the Venasaur level 34
FattySpins the Snorlax level 31
Neptune the Jolteon level 28
Trump the Dragonair level 31

Most of my boxed 'mons aren't that important, but here are the ones that might be used again later:
Batz the Golbat level 34 (boxed because he can't evolve until after the elite four and he can't learn Fly D: )
Lee the Hitmonlee level 26
Moleman the Dugtrio level 31
Alastor the Pidgeotto level 23

I'm about to go through Cycling Road although I'll admit that I'm scared of something getting poisoned since I'm going by the "no items" rule and I don't have anybody who knows fly in my party

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Wow, that's a fairly balanced team you have King. As long as you don't lose anyone you should be in good shape for the rest of the game.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
So I'm thinking, you could probably implement Breeding for egg moves. However to keep it somewhat challenging, you would have to treat the Female Pokemon that did the breeding (or the Male with a Ditto) as Dead as soon as you get the egg. Think of it as a child that eats its mother, or the female dies giving birth or what have you. Or perhaps on "Maternity Leave" if you don't like the idea of death outside of combat.

IE:

Bayleef (F) + Weepinbell (M) go into the daycare center.
A short while later, you get a Chikorita egg. However, your original Bayleef is now treated as "Dead". So you're left with a Weepinbell (M) + a Chikorita egg, and a "Dead" Bayleef who can no longer be used for the remainder of the challenge.

This does have potential to significantly reduce the difficulty of the challenge, for obvious reasons.

Spindas are very misleading.

The way they hit you with dark & psychic and stabbed attacks you would think they were awesome

I've come so close to losing Fuerto the Machop

So I'm thinking, you could probably implement Breeding for egg moves. However to keep it somewhat challenging, you would have to treat the Female Pokemon that did the breeding (or the Male with a Ditto) as Dead as soon as you get the egg. Think of it as a child that eats its mother, or the female dies giving birth or what have you.

IE:

A short while later, you get a Chikorita egg. However, your original Bayleef is now dead. So you're left with a Weepinbell (M) + a Chikorita egg, and a dead Bayleef.

This does have potential to significantly reduce the difficulty of the challenge, for obvious reasons.
This suddenly makes the Daycare the most depressing place.

Let's go with maternity leave instead.

So I'm thinking, you could probably implement Breeding for egg moves. However to keep it somewhat challenging, you would have to treat the Female Pokemon that did the breeding (or the Male with a Ditto) as Dead as soon as you get the egg. Think of it as a child that eats its mother, or the female dies giving birth or what have you.

IE:

A short while later, you get a Chikorita egg. However, your original Bayleef is now dead. So you're left with a Weepinbell (M) + a Chikorita egg, and a dead Bayleef.

That sounds pretty gruesome...I like it!
I was wondering if we could implement something like this since a lot of pokemon have pretty bad movepools without egg moves.

And by the way, if you're not using items odds are you aren't spending much money so be sure to use it at the game corner like I did for my dragonair :D

Well, I've started SoulSilver, for the simple reason: There's less Weedles.

Team:
Jaws: Totodile, Lv7
Twitter: Pidgey, Lv 7
Dudette: Lv 7 Geodude
GeoDudette: Lv4 Geodude [This one from Dark Cave]

Dead:
Sting: Lv 3 Weedle, death by Sentret Crithax.

Failed Captures: Lv 4 Weedle, death by Totodile crithax X_x

Oh, and normal rules apply, includeing my 'pokemon encountered before you have pokeballs do not count' one, except I'm barring myself from using the Red Gyarados. Makes things too easy.

Geodudes own the first three Gyms, resisting the main attacks, and hitting the first two Super Effectvly. Hopefully, as long as I get a pokemon able to handle Morty, I'll do well. Pidgey should handle Chuck, Totodile/Random Water can take Jasmine's Steelix, and Pryce quite well too. Clair's a pain as per usual, of course, but that's why Totodile gets Ice Fang...

Compared to FR/LG, there's an ARMY of catchables before the first Gym...
5 Routes
Dark Cave
Sprout Tower
Ruins of Alph [LOL, but Unown can be decent... up until you've beaten Falkner, provided you don't get HP Ghost or Ground.]

Total: 8 Catchables. Compared to 4 in FR/LG.

I'm still bitter that you can't buy Pokemon from Game Corners in Hoenn & Sinnoh
This is sadly true. I've got a load of money on my Emerald Nuzlocke, but it's pretty much useless. Atleast there are some decent TMs in there that can help out.

Compared to FR/LG, there's an ARMY of catchables before the first Gym...
5 Routes
Dark Cave
Sprout Tower
Ruins of Alph [LOL, but Unown can be decent... up until you've beaten Falkner, provided you don't get HP Ghost or Ground.]

Total: 8 Catchables. Compared to 4 in FR/LG.
Yeah, you're kinda making it a bit too easy for yourself. That's why I don't play SS/HG/GSC if I want a challenge. Those games are a joke in the difficulty area.

On an almost unrelated note, Platinum is impossibly hard. So many bidoofs, starlies, zubats, and geodudes, I can't get anything decent b4 I have to face the purugly, skuntank, and roserade x_X

Yeah, you're kinda making it a bit too easy for yourself. That's why I don't play SS/HG/GSC if I want a challenge. Those games are a joke in the difficulty area.

On an almost unrelated note, Platinum is impossibly hard. So many bidoofs, starlies, zubats, and geodudes, I can't get anything decent b4 I have to face the purugly, skuntank, and roserade x_X
Bull, have you seen the things in those routes?

OH MAN

CATERPIE/WEEDLE
UNOWN
PIDGEY

MORE CATERPIE/WEELDE

MAYBE A KAKUNA
(WHICH IS LIKE CATERPIE/WEEDLE BUT WORSE)

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
On my first attempt at SS awhile back, I got a Kakuna, Rattata, Pidgey, Bellsprout, and Cyndaquil, and got my ass handed to me by Falkner, the first gym leader. Granted I was a bit underleveled, but the hard part for SS is getting past the first few gyms. Especially Whitney and her Miltank, even with Ghost pokemon (her Miltank can hit Ghosts thanks to her ability).

Granted you have a fairly good selection of Pokemon in HG/SS (and a metric buttload of routes to get Pokemon from once you get Headbutt, Surf, and a fishing rod), but it's still a challenge if you don't outlevel and you get some bad luck at what comes your way.

Also you can get up to four excellent gift Pokemon in Violet City: Wooper, Mareep, Slugma, and Togepi. Not to mention a bunch of trades, and several other "gift" Pokemon throughout the game. To make it challenging you'd have to take none of the gift pokemon.

Starting a legitimate challenge on Diamond.

I'll be using Moot's set of rules for this one, they seem more detailed which I enjoy.

If I'm feeling like it, I'll post an epic about my adventures!

Quick Update: beat the 3 trainers in route (202? north of sandgem), got starly, and leveled it up to 7. Beat the trainers in trainer school, delivered the parcel to rival, got quick claw/old rod, got the poketch, and fished for a magikarp in route 218.

Party so far: Naive Level 9 chimchar
Calm(damn..) Starly level 9
Calm(WTF!!!!) Magikarp level 6. About to face rival for the 2nd time after some grinding/leveling, of course.

Other than chimchar, my luck with natures is terrible. Also, I've permitted myself to using items ONLY in battles, and to buy pokeballs + other types of them.

Also you can get up to four excellent gift Pokemon in Violet City: Wooper, Mareep, Slugma, and Togepi. Not to mention a bunch of trades, and several other "gift" Pokemon throughout the game. To make it challenging you'd have to take none of the gift pokemon.
Don't you also get shuckle somewhere in cianwood town? This is all coming from a 3 year old memory of crystal, so I really dk. if you do, that shuckle is a godsend. ability to survive multiple beatdowns while having the ability to stall is GREAT.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)