Nuzlocke Challenge

Starting up my Diamond Nuzlocke. Here are the rules:

-If a Pokemon in your party faints, you must release it.
-Every time you reach a new route, cave, etc., you must catch the very first Pokemon you see, regardless of your current number of party members. The Pokemon may sit within the box for an indeterminate amount of time as a backup.
-If you fail to catch the first Pokemon you see, either via it fleeing, knocking it out, or having no Pokeballs, you may not catch another. Tough shit.
-This means you can not catch a pokemon in a route you were in before you could catch pokemon. So no route 1, you were there before you had pokeballs.
-If a town you go to contains a body of water or a gift, pokemon like Bill’s Eevee in G/S/C/HG/SS, that may be considered a Pokemon of a new area.
-You must nickname your pokemon so there is some sort of attachment. Each pokemon is a best friend to you, to see them die is heartbreaking.
-If your entire party faints, they all must be thrown away. If you have a pokemon left in a box somewhere, you may continue, otherwise you must start your game over.
-You are, under no circumstance, allowed to get a second pokemon from any given area.
-You are, under no circumstance, allowed to use items INSIDE of battle.
-You may not switch out before the enemy trainer sends in a new Pokemon.
-You are not allowed to use legendaries in battle.
-You are allowed 1 trade, and the traded pokemon must be lesser than or equal to your weakest pokemon's level. Trading to evolve pokemon is also allowed.
-If a Pokemon faints, it's given one more lease at life. Heal it and return it to your party with a mark/seal/something to help you keep track. If it faints a second time, you must release it.

Will post some more details later.

A lot of these moves become hilarious if you think about them in the right way.

Gyarados just kind of flails about using strength, like when it uses a special attack in the 3D games.
The trainer throws Solrock for rock throw

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
This is the Colbert Report...jk. It's
DetroitLolcat's Emerald Nuzlocke Challenge
Part 3:Fight for the Goods!

Mousething still needed levels, as she was the weakest Pokemon on Lolcat's team. Base 20 attack and SpA really don't make grinding easy either! Especially when opponents just spam growl...if Marill had growl, he would be UBER (in Nuzlocke terms).

Lolcat steps on Route 104's beach and challenges some Youngster. Marill kills a Zigzagoon. Mudkipz kills a Seedot that knew BIDE. Marill almost died to a crit. Why can't Marill get a real attack before level 10???

After beating some Lady, Lolcat steps into Petalburg Woods, Viridian Forest's deadly equivalent. Also, what beginning-game Trainer has a FULL RESTORE?? I mean, this is like ROUTE 4! not even the first 4 GYM LEADERS have them!

In the dark woods (though it's broad daylight 1 step away) Lolcat walks forward to meet a Bug Catcher. Four Wurmples, Four Water Guns. The Pokemon Lolcat geat to catch, however, is a

SHROOMISH! HELLO BRELOOM!

Lolcat catches the Shroomish and names it Shrooms, as it likes to sniff shrooms. Is it bad that I name half my pokemon about drugs? Do I have a problem? Also, effect spore FTW. But its modest. Breloom says fml. Also, Shroomish is SO easy to train! Stun Spore+Absorb=win. Fuck Pokemon Centers! Shroomish IS a pokemon center without the walls and people and PC and heal machines!

Lolcat sends Mudkipz to battle a Shroomish, and used Tackle, and Effect Spore POISONED HIM WITH 14 HP.

And he died. Didn't even come close. Mudkipz the starter died to Effect Spore. At least Lolcat has more Waters to rape Roxanne with. But what about Wattson? I'M GONNA DIE!!!!

After trekking deeper into the woods, Lolcat stumbles upon a distraught fellow whining about some item...
"Dude, I need my goods..."
Lolcat replies, "Dude, you trippin'"
"Some blue guy stole my goods!!!"
"Uhh...what blue guy. How many times have you seen Avatar?"
"Like forty times. Each time I see it I discover myself of something, but enough. GIMME MAI GOODS!"
"What's your name"
"I forgot. THE GOODS HAVE MY NAME THOUGH! Find the blue dude!"
"Uhh...I'm just gonn a move on"
Lolcat moves forward with a heavy heart about his deceased partner.

Lolcat sees a guy, clad in blue.

"SEE! I'm not crazy," says the distraught man, "The blue dude gonna take my GOODS!"

Lolcat uses Shroomish to make short work of the n00b.

"MAI GOODS!" TALK A GRATE BALL 4 UR Workz!"
"Uhh...thanks..."
"WAIT! He GONNA GO 2 RUSTBORO AND STEEL MAI GUDS!"

Lolcat trains Shrooms a little, to Level 10 before he also dies of poison...
With Mudkipz and Shrooms down for the count, this seemed like a good place to cause the...

END OF PART 3

Do I ever get a starter??? >.< Is this the beginning of the end? Wil half a team beat Roxanne?

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:

IF YOU ARE DOING A GEN 4 NUZLOCKE RUN, BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL OF GEODUDES OVER LVL 18 AND VOLTORBS OVER LVL 29. IN GEN 3, THOSE NUMBERS CHANGE TO 21 AND 27 RESPECTIVELY. IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHY THESE LEVELS ARE SO IMPORTANT, YOU REALLY SHOULDN'T BE DOING A NUZLOCKE RUN AT ALL.

Edit: What he said.
|
|
\/

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:

IF YOU ARE DOING A GEN 4 NUZLOCKE RUN, BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL OF GEODUDES OVER LVL 18 AND VOLTORBS OVER LVL 29. IN GEN 3, THOSE NUMBERS CHANGE TO 21 AND 27 RESPECTIVELY. IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHY THESE LEVELS ARE SO IMPORTANT, YOU REALLY SHOULDN'T BE DOING A NUZLOCKE RUN AT ALL.

Edit: What he said.
|
|
\/
Yeah, Koffing at 17 in Gen 3 (!!) are what to watch out for (and since they can poison, they're doubly dangerous). The weird thing, though, is that not all who are capable of that WILL be capable of it. Most of the Bikers on Routes 16, 17, and 18 have Koffing who DON'T do that (they have Tackle instead). The Rocket with the Lift Key did it, Koga's Koffing could do it, and the Scientist in Silph Co pretending to work for Silph has an Electrode who does it (although somehow, my Jolteon didn't even lose half of its HP to it).

That's all I know for sure; usually, I try to kill Koffing, Graveler, Electrode, and the like as fast as I can because I don't wanna find out if that can happen.

EDIT: Add Baltoy and Claydol to that list if you're playing a Hoenn game. 19.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Unless I know for certain my Pokemon will get a OHKO, I run from the aforementioned Pokemon whenever possible. It's just not worth the risk.

Another update because I haven't been keeping track

After wiping the tears from my eyes at just how much Sandshrew sucks, I changed my team around and trained a bit on Route 113 while gather ash. Lots of levels all around and I got the ever useful Blue Flute.

Route 114 gave me a Swablu named /3 because this is like the third Swablu I've gotten and I'm sure I'll wind up using it again if Birdy ever dies.
It's a shame, I was kind of hoping for a Zangoose. Never used one of those and almost died to one heading towards the falls.

Meteor Falls (after a zubat) gave me a Solrock!
Gigantic pain to catch, but Boktai the Solrock is mine! I've never used a Solrock, but Lunatone worked wonders in XD for me so I'm sure Boktai will do just fine. I went back and switched out Madda for him since I figured a grass type won't be particularly useful for the upcoming battles.

Oh no those dastardly Team Magma grunts are at it again! Am I a bad enough dude to stop them?!
Find out after this scenic walk from Meteor Falls to Rustboro to Verdanturf to Mauville!

Did you know there is not one patch of grass on the entirety of Route 111? Surprised me, but it's all on Routes 112 & 113. I suppose there's Desert (which I'm not counting as Route 111), and the pond. And two rock smash rocks. I actually tried my best to try and get a Geodude out of them, but no luck. Shame. Maybe I'll save the pond for whenever I get the Good Rod.

Mt. Magma was no problem for my dudes. And then it was time for Maxie!

MAXIE!:
Fuji led but quickly switched to Fuerto to take out Mightyena
R N proceeded to throw Solrock at Golbat until it started Biting, then brought in Karpdegrac to flail about in its face.
Two Mudshots from Psi did Camerupt in (the first bringing it down to a sliver of health while it used Focus Energy)

Easy enough

Made my way through Jagged Pass (getting a Spoink named BOINGZOOM) and into Lavaridge. Didn't grab the Wynaut egg since...well Wynaut kind of sucks in game.
And then a training montage (and getting the Acro bike) to get everyone to ~24/25.
Forgot how long it takes Machop to evolve. Of all levels, why 28, so weird.

Professor Psi basically swept through the gym on his own, then it was time for the battle against
GYM LEADER FLANNERY:
Slugma 1 vs Fuji
Magnitude, Smog, Super Potion, Magnitude
Slugma 2 vs Fuji
Magnitude, Sunny Day, Super Potion, Magnitude
Psi vs Torkoal was a bit more exciting.
Body slam did more damage then I thought it would, then it paralyzed and also he got attracted. So I had to switch him out, thought not before hitting the thing with two Mudshots. Then I brought Boktai in for Rock Throw. Torkoal did a move I've never seen it use before, Flail. Two Rock Throws later it went down.

Easiest Flannery match yet, honestly. She didn't even use Overheat while the sun was out.

Got my Go-Goggles and headed over to the desert.
Where upon I fought Camper with a Sandshrew and wanted to throw my game against the wall because screw you!

And now I'm thinking on how to handle Norman and the desert. Norman is always a gigantic pain, and his Facades make everything worse. It doesn't help that PokeNav rematches don't start until after you fight him, so the best place to level is Jagged Pass :\

As for the Desert, I'm debating what Pokemon to go for. Claydol is a good defender, but so slow. I've never used a Cacnea but then again I've already got two grass types in the wings. I could use repels and go for Anorith, but I never use fossils for a reason (snails level up faster!), though his Fury Cutter would do wonders against Sydney. But he wouldn't be much use elsewhere (and Anorith wouldn't be anywhere near being an Almado for Norman)

For now I guess I'll just stick with the team I have now and try to get Machop to a Machamp.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
heh you guys that Platinum is hard. the Team Rocket Leader has 5 Koffing and 1 Weezing that can and will all explode. It took a miracle for me to beat him last time. (I used Gyarados and my Pupitar)

Anyway @ Above
Can you get a Trapinch?
That is always a nice pokemon and it gets Dark Moves which is useful agaisnt the E4

heh you guys that Platinum is hard. the Team Rocket Leader has 5 Koffing and 1 Weezing that can and will all explode. It took a miracle for me to beat him last time. (I used Gyarados and my Pupitar)

Anyway @ Above
Can you get a Trapinch?
That is always a nice pokemon and it gets Dark Moves which is useful agaisnt the E4
Oh hey I completely forgot about Trapinch :o

The Vibrava stage is kind of awkward, but Flygon could probably help a lot.
hmmm

ginganinja

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah I only remembered FLygon cause I used it always in Emerald
Its quite tough to get it to a FLygon though so I guess its your Call.

Update time!

After my skirmish with Morty I decided to head to Olivine. Not stopping to Climb the Lighthouse (I forgot) I went straight for the Strom Badge. I caught a Staryu along the way and named it Star. I then had to face off agasint Chuck.

After waking him up from his Waterfall training my battle for the Storm Badge had begun.

Chuck started off with a Primeape while I sent out Slick. After getting nailed by a Rock Slide Slick managed to fire off 2 Mud Shots at Primeape preventing it from utalising Focus Punch. Chuck used both his Hyper Potions on Primape but with it sitting on half health and getting devastated by Slicks STAB Surf chuck needed a better option. He switched to Poliwrath and blasted off a Hypnosis effectivally preventing Slick from taking further part in the battle. Knowing what was commig I went to Nightmare who sponged a Focus Punch with ease. I was able to survive a Surf before hitting his Poliwrath with a Hypnosis of my own. I then sent in my Secret weapon, Hope!

Hope came in and started weakening Poliwrath immediatly with its Extrasensory's. to my frustration Poliwrath quickly woke and fired off a hypnosis which hope managed to dodge. Realising an oppotunity to gain valuable momentium I used Encore which locked it into Hypnosis. The logic behind this was simple. With Surf and Focus Punch Poliwrath could KO my entire team. Locking it into Hypnosis would mean that I could stall out the sleep turns and hopefully win.

Sure enough Hope woke up after 2 turns and KO'ed Poliwrath with a Extrasensory.

Chuck had only a half health Primape left. Aware that it had a rock move I went to my Tyrant who was able to finish the Primape with a Crit Horn Attack earnig me the Storm Badge.

Fury Cutter can actually be pretty good, actually. In game, I mean. I've seen what it can do once it gets going.
Exactly. In a nuzlocke run you dont have the freedom to waste 5 turns to set up a fury cutter. if its armaldo (which is what we're talking about) you have better options in EQ and Rock Blast.

Im gonna do it. Try at least, put me down for blue version porfavor!!

Edit:
gary killed me. I have to start over...

Most freaking awesome battle ever:

I was in Fantina's gym, fighting one of the random trainers walking around. His Haunter had just killed my Luxio (no sweat, I'm playing by the "one more chance" rule), so I sent out my Togetic (Superbork) to put it to sleep or something.

Togetic @ Exp. Share Bold
Yawn
Flash
Encore
Sweet Kiss

Haunter @ nothing I guess
Shadow Ball
Curse
Mean Look
Confuse Ray

I switched in, and the Haunter Cursed itself to half health. No sweat, I figured. I could eat one turn of damage. So I Yawned, and Haunter used Mean Look.

*insert all kinds of expletives here*

My Togetic was at half health, against a sleeping Haunter, and with Curse set to kill him in two turns. I'd resigned myself to my fate (Superbork had died earlier to a Buizel's Pursuit during training) - Togetic didn't know a single attacking move and couldn't do nuts against Haunter. But I surveyed it's moveset again anyway.

Yawn
Encore
Flash
Sweet Kiss

Yawn
Encore
Flash
SWEET KISS

!!!

And thus conspired the most awesome battle in the history of Nuzlocke! (At that point, I was incredibly happy that I was playing the healing-item legal rule.) I was losing a quarter of my health a turn, but could I, by the power of sheer luck and (lack of) skill, let Superbork survive??!!

I threw out a Sweet Kiss which, despite a shaky 75% accuracy, and despite the 50% chance of hitting myself from Confusion (Haunter knew Confuse Ray), landed. Here's how the next 4 turns went down:

Haunter whacked himself!
Borko (that's me) used Super Potion.

Haunter whacked himself!
Borko used Potion.

Haunter whacked himself!
Borko used Oran Berry (y'know, shake things up a little).

Cooltrainer screamed at Haunter! He whacked himself anyway!
Borko used Potion.

Haunter was at red health, and two more self-hits would KO him. I predicted he'd snap out of it, so I sacrificed a turn of healing to throw out another 37.5% accurate (still Confused, remember) Sweet Kiss, which, despite the overwhleming odds, struck again. Haunter was Confused once more!

Then disaster struck. For the next few turns, Haunter stopped hitting himself. I couldn't do anything but heal Superbork using my ever dwindling stock of Potions and Berries, and hope. Eventually I'd used up all my Potions, a Super Potion, and almost all my berries. Then this came next:

Haunter whacked himself!
Borko cried from sheer joy.

Haunter (with one sliver of health left) snapped out of confusion!
Borko cried.

Superbork was still confused, and Sweet Kiss still had its shaky 75% accuracy. I closed my eyes, said a little prayer, and pressed "Attack".

Haunter is confused!
YEEEAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH

Haunter is confused!
Haunter used Confuse Ray.
Superbork is already confused.

Haunter is confused!

Haunter is confused!

I was down to my last Super Potion and a single Oran Berry. I'd used up 6 Potions, 3 Berries, and 1 Super Potion keeping Superbork alive. In two more turns, my precious Superbork would be history. The confusion had lasted 3 turns already, and if Haunter did snap out of it, I highly doubted that another Sweet Kiss would land. And so, with weary eyes, I used my last Oran Berry and awaited the inevitable.

Haunted is confused!
Haunted whacked himself in his confusion!
Haunter fainted!

Wait, what?

Haunter fainted!
HE REALLY FAINTED!!!!!!!
YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

And in case you're wondering how my battle with Fantina went, I OHKOed all her Pokemon with Luxio's Bite + a Dread Plate (Mismagius admittedly with a crit). Hooray. Exciting.

ginganinja

YEAH awesome battle.
I battle with stratigy (which nearly always fail) hence my rather Close Calls with Chuck and Whitney.
Granted I told you that Togepi can do something!
my Togetic knows Wish, Encore, Extrasensory,Yawn. That is the best moveset EVER

Least it can attack. Togepi and Togetic absolutely cannot learn any attacks in Platinum except for the Grass Knot TM from Gardenia and the Fire Blast TM from the Veilstone Department Store. Then there's the move relearner in Pastoria who can let Togetic relearn Magical Leaf, but that's bout it till you find a Shiny Stone.

ginganinja

Yeah at least yours can Evolve (No shiny stone in HGSS before Elite 4)
Then all the doors open for your Togepi/tic.
Im stuk with my useless Hope for ages.

Update
Anyway Jasmine was easily beaten. Slick and Vulcan combimed not even allowing Jasmine the chance to fire off a single attack.

My Team
Slick (Quagsire)
Lv 36
Calm
-Earthquake
-Surf
-Headbutt
-Mud Shot

Vulcan (Typlosion)
Lv 36
Relaxed
-Lava Plume
-Headbutt
-Flame Wheel
-Swift

Nightmare (Haunter)
Lv 34
Careful
-Shadow Ball
-Sucker Punch
-Night Shade
-Hypnosis

Pine (Sudowoodo)
Lv 33
Lonely
-Rock Slide
-Faint Attack
-Rock Throw
-Low Kick

Tyrant (Nidorino)
Lv 35
Timid
-Horn Attack
-Double Kick
-Peck
-Toxic Spikes.

IN Box

Nip (Rattata)
Lv 4

Muscle (Machop)
Lv 12

Enternal (Pinco)
Lv 15

Sandy (Sandshrew)
Lv 6

Ikike2move (Aipom)
Lv 8

Aradine (Spinarak)
Lv 16

Blade (Scyther)
Lv 14

Birdy (Sperow)
Lv 16

Jolt (Magnemite)
Lv 16

Slash (Farfetch'D)
Lv 17

NewZealand (Miltank)
Lv 15

Claw (Krabby)
Lv 20

Star (Staryu)
Lv 20

Hope (Togetic)
Lv 30

Bull (Tauros)
Lv 16

Rocky (Geodude)

Dead
Meridian (Flaaffy)
Lv 23

And On a side note. Guys I nmay need some helphere. What pokemon should I use in my Last slot (the one that Owl is currently in). I am kind stuck. Then again maybe Gyarados or something else later on could work... Ideas anyone?

I'm goig to give this challenge a try in pokemon yellow. Main reason is for not worrying about natures... and have a bit of nostalgia :)

ginganinja

Nope, its not until you get the National Pokedex. Then the Pokethons Items get updated. In this senario though I would actually be happy to be proved wrong!

Bartman101

Banned deucer.
Update on my Pearl Nuzlocke challenge.

Just done cycling road now, solo'd all but Roserade in the Eterna Gym with Bibarel's Pluck. (It's definetly underestimated). I caught a Meditite on that route east of Eterna, forgot the number, and called it Puncher500, don't know why really, but I taught it Rock Tomb anyway as a decent-ish physical move.

Current pokemon that I'm actually using (Forgot levels)
Grotle- Razor Leaf, Bite, Absorb, Curse
Bibarel- Headbutt, Pluck, Rollout, Water Gun
Kadabra- Confusion, Grass Knot, Teleport, HP Ice -power around 35 :( (It's the one from the trade in Oreburgh)
Meditite- Rock Tomb, Confusion, Hidden Power ?, Detect (Should I teach it Rock Smash for a STAB move??)

Nope, its not until you get the National Pokedex. Then the Pokethons Items get updated. In this senario though I would actually be happy to be proved wrong!
Seems you can randomly win one from the Bug Catching contest both before & after national dex

And On a side note. Guys I nmay need some helphere. What pokemon should I use in my Last slot (the one that Owl is currently in). I am kind stuck. Then again maybe Gyarados or something else later on could work... Ideas anyone?
Speaking of Gyarados, how exactly do you plan on dealing with him, especially with Dragon Dance and STAB Aqua Tail? I recommend an Electric type for that reason, preferably Lanturn since it also resists water, or something fast that can kill Gyarados before it moves. You'll thank me against Clair, Lance and Blue, trust me.
EDIT: After a quick check on Bulbapedia, apparently you only win Sun Stones at the Bug-Catching Contest pre-E4. That sucks, I need one too, poor Matty is starting to become useless. Which reminds me, I should probably update soon XD

ginganinja

@ Flamestrike

Yeah I tried to get a Lanturn but came accross some shitty Magikarp instead. I have a Magnemite though and I always have the option of pickig up that Eevee if I need too.

REgarding Gyarados I am unsure what you mean. Do you meant the Red Gyarados or the Gyarados I will face in my Nuzlocke. I believe that Blue is the first trainer in HGSS who has a Dragon Dancing Gyarados (although I could be wrong) and by then I believe that I should have expanded my team. If you were reffering to cathing or battleing Gyarados in general then you are correct as I don't have much. Slick walls its main STAB (thanks to Water Absorb) which means Gyardos has to resort to other means to bring him down.

And Please do Update soon!. You do write great Nuzlocks!

So after messing around the desert for a bit (I swear that place has the lowest encounter rates in the entire game. It's like the anti-cave), and getting a Traphinch (level 20, named...Suzy. What? Flygon seems like a Suzy), I made my way to Petalburg.

Fun fact: Trapinch was the only Pokemon I ran in to the entire time I was in the desert.

I made my way through Norman's gym, evolved Fuerto to a Machoke, and then...

GYM LEADER NORMAN:
So a bit of foreword on this. I knew for a fact that Norman's Slakings are gigantic pains. Even stunning them is suicide. For you.
I've always had trouble with him.
So after thinking on it for a while, I thought maybe stalling him out and use Madda to Leech & stun/poison them.
Until I remembered my level 20 Spike in my PC.

So I got it out, taught it Toxic (I wonder why that's in the Fire Cavern? Seems more like it would be Flamethrower if anything. Maybe Sunny Day), and gave it a go.

It worked magnificently.
Protect, toxic on the loaf, and then alternate between Protect and Confusion. Didn't even get a chance to use a potion.

Vigoroth, on the other hand...
I tried Fuerto first, but I could tell he wouldn't last so in came Karpdegrac. After a number of traded blows, Super Potions, Hyper Potions and even an X-Attack, Slash criticaled at just the right amount of health to take him down :(
Boktai finished the job, thankfully.

Spike came in and decimated the last Slaking and I got my badge, but alas...so long Karpdegrac.

Thinking on it, I was really lucky that I got Spike and not Beautifly. Protect turned the tide of an otherwise hard fight. If I couldn't deal with the Slakings, the run may have ended right here.

I got Surf, taught it Psi and I'll be on my way later.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)