The In-Game Mono-Type Team Challenge

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I was considering ground in emerald after my scramble challenge. Swampy, camprupt, claydol, flygon (woot fly for me!!), ryhorn. Actually I might do it in ruby just to get groudon pre e4. Any suggestions?

I've played many mono-runs throughout Emerald and FireRed.

Mono-ground in Emerald is extremely easy, even without Swampert. Having no powerful trainers with Grass Pokemon(edit: besides Wallace's Ludicolo) is also a plus.
I stuck to the theme with using Nincada as my Cut slave, since nobody in the party could learn it(no idea why Trapinch cannot cut), but Cut isn't necessary to finish in Emerald, so I only used Nincada when I felt like accessing those blocked off sections. My team was Swampert, Sandslash, Camerupt, Flygon, Claydol, and Whiscash. You can also try Donphan or Rhydon, but those 2 can only be obtained very late.

One downside is that you have only one EQ TM, which is only obtainable right before you fight Archie in the sea cave, so a lot of team members didn't have any proper ground STAB for quite a long time. Vibrava especially was difficult to train with no STAB attacks at all. The biggest dilemma was deciding whether to use my EQ TM on Sandslash or Flygon. I ended up with Flygon, since Sandslash at least had Dig, and will have to settle for that.

Btw, Whiscash is extremely great against Wallace. Amnesia 3x against Wailord or Tentacruel, then Toxic whoever, especially Ludicolo; important that Ludicolo gets poisoned before he gets to stack DT's; use EQ on Tentacruel, and you get poisoned by Toxic, rest it off. Gyarados laughs at Whiscash though, so use other party members to deal with him before he starts to stack DD's.

Guys, a question for a mono-ground on Pearl. My current team is Gastrodon, Golem, Grotle & Hippopotas. I still need to catch Gible. For the last member of my team I have two options: Quagsire & Wishcash. What is the best in your option? Quagsire can absorb water moves, while Wishcash has access to Psychic moves....

I would say use Quagsire because Zen Headbutt hits Poison (your ground type...), and Fighting (you got high defences anyway). while you have two pokemon weak to water on your team it may come handy to switch Quagsire in.
Good Luck. :P

I think the hardest challenges might be mono-Electric in Yellow
I've done two mono-type challenges, electric in Yellow, and electric in Gold. Both were an absolute snap, but electric in Yellow had some grinding problems. I had to grind to about level 20 before I could defeat Brock's Onix. The rival's sandslash also gave me trouble as I didn't want to use Zapdos. Pikachu ended up being level 98 before it could defeat the E4.

Sound of Madness had it right: Mono - Flying in RSE is definitely the purist's way to go because you can cover every HM with Tropius + Gyarados, which are both part flying.

You get Wingull / Absorb Beautifly for Roxanne.
Brawly is no problem
Electric gym will suck
Pelipper for Fire,
Normal is just a fight
So is Flying, but hopefully pelipper / gyarados has an Ice Attack.
The twins are weak to Ice / Water / grass some more, so Tropius / Pelipper / Gyarados are useful.
Then for water you could have Toxic on something, use Tropius, and have Thunderbolt on gyarados or something.
The elite 4 would just be a game of having super effective moves on stuff, and Surfing away Stephen, or Tropius / Tbolt Gyarados'ing Wallace on Emerald.

Seems like a challenge, but Flying has the tools to put a reasonable game together in RSE, sounds fun ^_^.

Wattson is an ass during my Mono-flying run in Emerald. I had to resort to using Marshtomp to fight him. My team was Pelipper, Crobat, Skarmory, Altaria, Tropius, and Dodrio

Blackhawk11

one on one
I'm thinking about doing a mono-Ghost run of Platinum, trading over my team in eggs (it wouldn't be a challenge, I just think it'd be fun).

-Giratina (the Lvl 1 one)
-Mismagius (Nasty Plot egg move)
-Dusknoir
-Drifblim
-Rotom(-A)
-Bibarel/Empoleon as my HM Slaves, the only difference in movepool would be Cut/Defog respectively, so I'd switch them out when necessary.

The Ghost gym could be a hassle, and the Steel gym might suck, depending on how good my Mon's movepools are by then. The Fighting gym will be rather simple though...

However, I have a question. If I restart my Platinum game, will the Rotom formes still be available? In other words, will I still have the Secret Key (or will the room already be opened)? I'm pretty sure I deleted the wonder card for the event.

Diamond - Poison

HM users:
Venusaur, Toxicroak, Nidoking, Nidoqueen, Drapion - Rock Smash, Rock Climb, Strength, Cut
Qwilfish - Surf, Waterfall
Crobat - Fly, Defog

Question, is Arceus completely off limits in mono-type challenges?

Diamond - Poison

HM users:
Venusaur, Toxicroak, Nidoking, Nidoqueen, Drapion - Rock Smash, Rock Climb, Strength, Cut
Qwilfish - Surf, Waterfall
Crobat - Fly, Defog

Question, is Arceus completely off limits in mono-type challenges?
It wouldn't be much of a challenge then would it :P

What about a mono-Normal team in HGSS? It seems like it could be fairly easy. You have Smeargle to basically be able to defeat anything you need it to if you invest the proper amount of time into him. Anyone have any input on a mono-Normal run?

What about a mono-Normal team in HGSS? It seems like it could be fairly easy. You have Smeargle to basically be able to defeat anything you need it to if you invest the proper amount of time into him. Anyone have any input on a mono-Normal run?
Like Itchni said to me about using Arceus, using Smeargle wouldn't be much of a challenge. Although that is most likely to a much lesser extent, I think Arceus and Smeargle are off-limits

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
HGSS has an overabundance of normals. You can fill your party with 6 normal types even before the first gym:

Pidgey
Hoothoot
Spearow (yes, three Normal/Flying Pokemon)
Rattata
Sentret
Dunsparce

Let's not forget the Togepi egg, Ditto (lol), Aipom, Snubbull, Stantler, Meowth (in SS), Girafarig, Tauros, Miltank, Smeargle, Farfetch'd, Lickitung, Eevee, Teddiursa (in SS), Doduo, Kangaskhan (pretty much the win in HGSS), and Chansey before the Elite Four. Not to mention Snorlax and Porygon after the Elite Four, plus everything accessible in the Safari Zone and with Hoenn/Sinnoh Sound after the Elite Four.

And that's not even counting the Pokewalker.

I'd make Arceus off-limits personally.

Arceus could make a brutal sweeper or wall for every mono-team there is, and it can be used as the perfect HM user, regardless of the plate it holds. I suggest a "no Arceus rule" to be added to the OP.

Arceus learns every HM, always has a 150 EBP special STAB attack, as well as a huge physical movepool. Broken as hell

If anyone has the time, could someone make a list like Hobbers did last page for HGSS, a list for all pokemon available in that game sorted by types?

Thanks in Advance. :P

I think a team of

Ambipom
Pidgeot
Milktank
Ursaring/Girafarig
Dodrio
Kangaskhan

would likely pwn HGSS. DPPt also has early access to Munchlax, Bibarel, and Staraptor (autowin).

Like Itchni said to me about using Arceus, using Smeargle wouldn't be much of a challenge. Although that is most likely to a much lesser extent, I think Arceus and Smeargle are off-limits
honestly, smeargle is pretty hard to get the right moves and his base stats suck. the amount of effort put into him highly exceeds what you get out of him.

honestly, smeargle is pretty hard to get the right moves and his base stats suck. the amount of effort put into him highly exceeds what you get out of him.
True, but Smeargle's true power lies in its ability to use Spore+stat boost move+Baton Pass, right?

Mono-Normal in DP could be fun, with Bibarel and Staraptor to take care of Rocks and Steels.

What are some nice Mono challenges in Leaf Green? I was thinking Poison(Even though fire red is better for that). Team would be probably:

Venusaur
Nidoking
Tentacruel
Crobat/Golbat
Nidoqueen
Muk/Weezing.

But it sounds boring... so what types would be fun, and slightly challenging?

I might also try Grass or water, but i have limited options

Grass:

Venusaur
Victreebel
Tangela(lol)
Parasect

that's what's available for E4, I might get an extra Victreebel and an extra Tangela or something. but that just sucks balls...

Water is more diverse:

Blastoise
Starmie
Lapras
Tentacruel
Slowbro
Vaporeon

Maybe Ground:

Nidoking
Nidoqueen
Sandslash
Dugtrio
Graveler
Rhydon

thoughts?

Rock would be a pain for Misty and Erika, to be honest (whoa, one challenge where Erika actually poses some sort of challenge!).

Um, you have Geodude/Graveler till you finish Vermillion and can get Onix, then after that it's Rhyhorn in Safari Zone, then Kabuto/Omanyte as well as Aerodactyle in Cinnabar... and that's it.

Man, good luck for Lorelei for anyone trying that. If they do try it I'd really recommend picking Bulbasaur as a starter so Gary won't rip you apart.

What's a good, medium difficulty mono-type team challenge for platinum? Im thinking of doing a ground or poison type challenge

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)