Overall: Boobs+!!

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Thanks guys, update now that I'm finally done with The Smog 11 and MAP 4.

Dragon's Den (MAP 4) *Champion* :)

UU Panel:

Personally Entitled: "Yeah, well-- I can go OU biotches"

It's Super Effective! Worst Weaknesses in Competitive Pokemon:

Personally Entitled: "Cresselia in OU"

Deck Night's Absol

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I am just posting this to make sure that I remember this idea, come back to it and flesh it out. If you guys have input though, I'd love to hear it.

It came to me in the shower (as many things do), messing with the idea for alternative spreads of Gyarados' stats (ala Milotic), and alternative builds for a water snake.

Starting with the idea of putting the 125 in Speed, I decided it needed to be some kind of booster because even if you put the 100 in one of the offensive stats, it ends up rather weak (Flygon for instance, is WEAK and it has STAB outrage and EQ). With that speed, and some potentially bulky stats, a CM or Bulk Up user would be ideal.

I thought of some different typings, and then decided on Grass / Water. It gives it a good Dual STAB and relatively rare weaknesses. But, no sooner had I done so when I realized this caused some serious issues for the would be sweeper, namely that it would have to find some way of dealing with Scizor.

Going back and forth, I decided being physical and using Bulk Up would be the best answer.

100 / 81 / 79 / 60 / 95 / 125

With 252 HP EVs and 2 Bulk Ups, Scizor only does 56.9% - 67.3% with CB U-Turn (Bulk Up as they Switch, Bulk Up before scizor U-Turns). Then, with 125 speed and Recover, vamp back up to full health with ease. Doing this though, gives you no way of dealing with Skarmory, and 120 base power Bravebirds are a problem.

So alternatively, we could go the special route (and Calm Mind probably makes more sense from a flavor route). The problem being that seeing as Calm Mind does nothing to stop U-Turns, the only way to deal with Scizor is to be more offensive.

100 / 60 / 95 / 81 / 79 / 125

Even with 252 HP EVs, you have a fair shot at being 1hko'd by Scizor. So, the only way is to kill scizor first. 252 special ATK does 75.2% - 88.6% with +1 Hydro Pump (CM as Scizor switches in). Unfortunately, this gives tiny ass odds of 1hko'ing even with SR. Of course you could just carry Magnezone or have some other way of luring out and dealing with scizor before it comes to this. Or you could just carry Life Orb. Or, I could just put the 95 in Sp.ATK. Bunch of potential different ways of dealing with it . . .

So, with:

100 / 60 / 81 / 95 / 79 / 125

I suppose you still have fairly decent relative bulk. Here's what I came up with at the end of this brain storm:

Grass / Water
Ability: Shed Skin
100 / 60 / 81 / 95 / 79 / 125

@Leftovers
Timid
86 HP / 252 sp.ATK / 172 Speed
-Hydro Pump / Surf
-Grass Knot / Dragon Pulse / Ice Beam
-Calm Mind
-Recover / Ice Beam

The obvious goal here is to boost up and then go for a sweep with 125 speed and STAB Water / Grass coverage. Water / Grass offers fairly good STAB and defensive typing for this goal. Unfortunately, Recovery + Boosting + 2 attacking moves offers no way of dealing with status. Fortunately, I figured out how to deal with that with its ability. Shed Skin may be undependable, but considering the toughness and time we are planning to invest setting up, its more than enough. It will stop Special walls from trying to bring you down with toxic for instance, and Thunder-Wave becomes only a temporary inconvenience.

Here are some notes about the most obvious enemies:

Scizor: +1 Hydro Pump 1hko's it after Stealth Rock damage. If you are going with surf, you will probably need some spikes or some way of knocking enemy scizor into Surf-kill range before attempting to set up and sweep.

Blissey: Is setup fodder. It cannot take this thing down due to Calm Minding, 100 base HP and Recover. Toxic is largely useless when trying to stall out a Shed Skin user. +6 Hydro Pump 2hko's any Blissey set. If anything, this actually counters Blissey.

Gyarados: Offensive LO is taken down by +1 Grass Knot. Bulky versions still take as shit load, and will have trouble taking this down with the precarious Bounce.

Vaporeon: Another beautiful thing about this setup is that Vaporen and other Water Absorbers are simply setup fodder, and even Vaporeon will fall to Grass Knot if it lets this thing get more calm minds (and has no way of stopping it from doing so).

Suicune: STAB Grass Knot ensure which side will win this Calm Mind battle.

Scarfgon/rachi: Are both faster and have U-Turn, but their U-Turns are so weak that this thing can just recover them off following (Jirachi U-Turns, it switches out, snakey uses Recover).

Dragonite: Erhm . . . it's a problem. You could always try the Un-STABBed Dragon Pulse + Hydro Pump, with added bonus of nice coverage if you have another way of dealing with Suicune. Vaporeon and Blissey get set up on regardless.

Basically, this thing can setup easily enough, and is devastating once it does. I think it would be anyway.

One more great pokemon for my Champion to use.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
Another brain-storm post for Iwaha, this time putting together the Champion's lead.

At first I thought to use a Water/Steel suicide lead with Stealth Rock, but with Machamp's popularization I went back to the drawing board and came up with this:

Water / Bug
Compound Eyes
100 / 115 / 70 / 60 / 70 / 117 Total: 532
Jolly
@Focus Sash / Lum Berry / Charti Berry
4 HP 252ATK 252Speed
-Stealth Rock
-Aqua Crash
-Aquajet
-Explosion / U-Turn / X-Scissor

Aqua Crash:
Pwr: 120 Acc: 10 Type: Phys
Effect (in game): Powerful crash that often misses, but still hits the enemy with a shock wave.

Specifically: This attack halves the opponent's defense like Explosion. Should it miss it hits the enemy with a base 40 physical water attack (base 80 taking the defense drop into account).

Essentially, it is best to think of it as Waterfall with a 10% to do huge damage instead of 20% flinch chance.

Lead Match Ups:

Aerodactyl: 2hko'd by Aqua Crash and Aqua Jet. Charti Berry also works on this one. Win

Azelf: Outsped and 2hko'd by Aqua Crash. Win

Starmie: Outsped and 2hko'd by Aqua Crash. Win

Infernape: 2hko'd by Aqua Crash and Aqua Jet, beating both Fake Out and Mach Punch versions. Win

Jirachi: Both get up SR, you win head to head, 3hko with Aqua Crash (should it lack electric). Win

Celebi: Same as Jirachi unless you carry a bug attack. Win

Uxie: Similar situation to Jirachi and Celebi. Double Screen or Momento can be troublesome. Unclear

*Againt Jirachi, Celebi and Uxie, Trick-Scarf can be troublesome. Still, having a scarf'd Compound Eyes Explosion in your back pocket can be very useful . . .

Roserade: You can 2hko it or set up rocks and absorb sleep. If you have Lum Berry you will likely come out on top. Leaf Storm has a very small chance to 1hko. Unclear

Dragonite: Set up rocks first turn, switch out before it extremespeeds you. Tie

Heatran: Outsped and 2hko'd by Aqua Crash. Win

Metagross: Both get up SR, and with your resistances to Meteor Mash and EQ, you can come out on top as long as it lacks Thunder Punch. However, it can explode to take you with it. Tie at worst, win possible-- especially if you have a ghost.

Empoleon: Both setup SR first turn. Hydro Pump and Aqua Crash are both 3hko's. Empoleon's Aqua Jet cannot kill you even after 2 max damage Hydro Pumps, so in all likelihood you will come out on top. If it attacks (and does not use SR first turn), you can Compound Eyes Explode to take it down with you, leaving SR on your side and no SR on the enemy's. Win

Swampert: Both setup SR. Seeing as you resist EQ, Ice Beam and Surf/Waterfall, you will come out on top unless it carries Roar (in which case it is a tie). Tie possible, likely win.

Tyranitar: If you are not carrying Charti Berry, this becomes a problem as Stone Edge knocks you to your sash and sand 1hko's you. You cannot 2hko it. At the very least, you could always just setup rocks or use Compound Eyes Explosion to take it out with you. Sash/Lum = Lose. Need Charti Berry to win. Explosion = Tie, neither side gets SR (note there is the risk of him switching to a Ghost as well).

Machamp: This is where Aqua Crash separates itself from Waterfall, and the main reason I invented this attack in the first place. While Aqua Crash has only 10 accuracy and normally misses while hitting with its "aftershock," against Machamp's No Guard it will always hit with full force, 120 x 2 (with defense drop) x 1.5 STAB = 360 base power, essentially. It does 113.6% - 133.9% to standard lead Machamp. WIN

Forretress and Bronzong: Both sides set up rocks (1 layer of spikes). generally, this will result in one side or the other using Explosion, ending the exchange in a draw. Tie

Thus, this lead I invented will essentially beat or tie every other lead, having a bit of trouble with Uxie, Roserade and Tyranitar. Of course some other leads (like trick scarf) can give it some trouble, but overall, it almost always at an advantage, and never outright loses.

Thx for looking. ;D

Now, I just need a design that seems to match that set in terms of flavor. It would be easy enough if it were a steel type, but bug type is somewhat hard to justify with moves like Explosion and SR.

Man, I loved your contest entry SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much! I wish could give it first place and just leave the polls for second and third place heheheh. You did such a great job, I really hope you'll enter in the next round too ^__^

Chou Toshio

Over9000
Road Trip!

Now while you all know I am a nature-nut when it comes to art, I doubt many know this but I am actually an Aquarium Designer before I am a graphic designer. I consider it to be my real calling. Here are some aquariums from my DevArt account:

It has been a long time since I actually worked on putting a tank together. Simply put, between going back and forth between Japan and home for school/work and eventually moving back to Japan for my new job-- I've been busy, and totally unable to put together the 3 months in 1 place needed for a layout. But, I've recently started back on one! And it's starting off with a real adventure!

For anyone who has looked at an ADA magazine, book or catalogue, you probably know these rocks:

These stones are called Hakkai-Seki 八海石, and it comes from Hakkai mountain in Niigata prefecture (yes, the same prefecture as the the ADA Headquarters and Gallery). It also happens to be where I call home now. To give an example, these rocks are like the flawless IV'd HP Ice Timid Tri-ATK (XD) Togekiss of the Aquarium Stone Arrangement and Bonsai worlds.

Now if you have ever looked into getting your hands on Hakkai seki, you know it is . . . near impossible. Even if you scour bonsai and aquarium stores throughout Tokyo, you simply will not find it . . . well, it would be extremely rare, I've tried. At the last IAPLC, Jeff Senske also told me about some crazy adventures about getting the chance to pick from Amano's private stash (lucky bastard, but he's definitely earned it!).

Stories . . . involving huntind down and shipping Amano a rare $2000+ aerobics machine made only in the states . . . and stuff . . . wow Amano . . . that man is crazy . . .

. . . but I might be equally crazy.

Knowing the rarity of this stone, while arranging a tank shipment with ADA vender Seventh Heavens in Joetsu, I asked the shop owner on a whim-- is there anyway to get your hands on Hakkai stone? He gave me a laugh . . . a very long laugh . . . before we actually got down to talking. He smiled. I busted out a detailed map of niigata prefecture and he busted out a highlighter.

The next day I started the 2 hour drive on route 291 heading for Uonuma City and Hakkai Mountain, burning rubber at Japan's 46 MPH speed limit (which is about all my little "K-Car" can manage for a long period anyway). After a nice long drive, head banging to some tunes and taking in the beautiful scenery of Niigata's countryside (rice fields, rice fields and more rice fields-- that's what they're known for), I finally got to route 265. 265 heads up into the mountains and it gets more and more beautiful-- and it finally reaches a stretch where, according to my source "there is a small chance of finding a few nice Hakkai Seki."

As I drove up the winding road into the Hakkai mountain range, I reached what I thought must be the "secret stretch." Below, there was a fast flowing stream chock full of rocks that could be seen through the thick forest. I decided to park and hike down to it.

I watched my car disappear into the background as I descended through the brush and forest to reach the stream bed. Finally, I freed myself from the forest after climbing down a 3 meter stretch of sheer drop. I sprinted out of the brush and gawked at the stunning sight before me.

Now if only I was a better photographer! This is about the time I put on my iPod and played "Himitsu no Niwa" from the Pokemon 4 Movie Sound Track.

To say the least, the scene before me was stunning. Hakkai Mountain's range rising into the distance, thick green forest, and the stream-- utterly stunning!

The water was crystal clear. If there were rocks to be had at the bottom, I could even see them from my the top. If it's rocks you wanted to see-- there were plenty! The place was full of inspiration for iwagumi, even if you weren't there specifically to collect rocks. I guess good rocks come from beautiful places though!

After running around like a maniac for awhile taking photos, I stripped down to my board shorts and reef walkers; with a bucket in one hand and a long net in the other, I ran off to enjoy an afternoon of swimming, netting Medaka (common grey Japanese Rice Killifish), and of course-- hunting for the rare hakkai seki!

After only 15 minutes, I found what looked to me, like a very good sign:

. . . though that one was way WAY too big for me to take. If anyone has a 100g tank, a ticket to Japan, and a forklift, tell me and I'll show you where it is. That rock will definitely still be there. I though, needed to go for smaller.

I hiked long and hard, searching the stream edge as well as diving into deeper ends of the stream to look at the stream bed (no mud, all rocks).

Finally, I put together what looked like a decent set of rocks. I picked out 3 that I wanted to take (really, I couldn't find much-- they really are rare!) and prepared to take them home.

. . . this, was no easy feat. My main rock was ~80 lbs, and it was a long hike back to the car! I had climbed down from my car at an angle and then doubled-back down the river to look for rocks, so it would be a 200 yard walk back to where I had descended from the forest, and then a longer hike back to the car!

. . . That was not the biggest problem? Remember how I mentioned there was a 3 meter drop between the forest and the bottom of the ravine? That was the easiest point to get back to the forest. 3 meters is nothing for an average person to climb up or down, especially with roots and branches to hang onto with his hands.

. . . with his hands . . . you know, the hands I needed to use to life that 80 lbs rock with?

. . . hah . . . hah . . . hahaha . . . lol

. . . 3 hours of hiking and lifting the likes of which I never have (and never will again) experienced, I lifted the main stone into the trunk of my car, and howled a crazed cry of victory!~!

meow!!! lol

Now let's back track. Before I show you pictures of the prize, let me show you some other nice photos:

I love you Kuro-Neko delivery service! <3 Seventh Heavens sent me my new Do!Aqua 60x45x45 Cube Glass Aquarium, and its stand. Can you believe that in this country, you can pay the delivery man, in cash-- and they will pay the store for you!? It's crazy! Oh the Japanese and their crazy system of trust . . . they're crazy . . . but I'm probably not one to talk.

There she is baby, all waiting for setup. This weekend I will go back to the shop and pickup a Solar II, some extra goodies to refit my ADA CO2 system for a standard Japanese large canister and timer, Aquasoil, and some other goodies I'll need to set this baby up properly. Seventh Heavens also arranged to get together all the plants I wanted. Gotta love Japanese service!

Anyway, without further ado, rock photos:

You like? I'm not sure if this is the genuine Hakkai seki nor if it even if it deserves to be mentioned in the same breadth as the quality stones Amano has-- but I know these rocks are genuinely from Hakkai-san, and that I worked my ass to find and bring them back! Them's also nice rocks.

Also, to me, an almost equally important topping on this cake, a bucket full of grit/rubble from the same stream bed as these rocks:

There's sure a mixed bag of rubble in there, but imo rubble genuinely from the location of the rocks you use is incredibly valuable in putting the mid-ground of a tank together. This is a perk that comes with rock hunting as opposed to rock purchasing (although you can skip the ridiculous hike and life-risking stupidity by just shelling out the money for those manten stones).

You can also find some nice stuff in the rubble too sometimes:

;)

Will be setting her up this weekend! Please stay tuned!

Chou Toshio

Over9000
Though it hurts my heart, I guess folks are just not into my Aquarium art much. :(

So here's a long-in-coming digital art piece

MAC 5 Submission-- I was too lazy to be more creative. You'll probably notice that the scenery was inspired by the trip described above, and is similar to the photos.

edit: I also updated the first page's main gallery links

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I can't believe I didn't sit down and read your aquarium rock-hunting adventures before.

Well I just did.

Amazing.

Wow this a really a fantastic things,I really a like it too much,this a really a best your stuff ,I like your stuff too much.

Can you briefly describe your thought process and methods used to do the landscapes?

Some of them took my breath away :D

Though it hurts my heart, I guess folks are just not into my Aquarium art much. :(
I loved your aquarium art! When I first saw it in the photoshop brushes thread, I was so impressed, and then when I realized that you actually build aquariums I was even more impressed. I really enjoyed reading about your hakkai seki adventure, I even went and did a little research on my own about them! Did you ever finish that aquarium?

Chou Toshio

Over9000
Thanks SEO I apologize for my earlier pouting! If you want to learn more, try checking out Aquascapingworld.com, which is a forum I like to go to.

I need to add some fish, and get the timing right for a full-blown photo shoot, but here is what the tank looks like right now:

Update from The Smog 12:

Omg all of your art made me shit my pants. Especially the aquariums. It takes a lot of skill to be able to create such beautiful light filtering effects.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
Thanks Sensible. I'm posting because I finished my MAC 7 Entry! Some contrast of work ethic affected by theme:

MAC 6 (lol half-assed):

MAC 7 (Much happier with the theme):

紅葉の香り
「葉が赤くなるこの時期
ひやりとできる風がふりちゅー
私はお前の暖かい胸元に
あの頃に戻りたいと想いゆー」張 利男

Fragrance of Changing Leaves
"In this season when the leaves change colors
A chilly wind is blowing
I am, to your warm breast,
to that time, wishing to return" -Chou Toshio

As expected, I can't really get excited if it's not nature stuff. :) When I read the "Autumn Colors" theme I was like . . . really? REALLY?? HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! lol

natalie

property of alex
absolutely awesome work, your signature caught my eye. it made me want more. so i clicked it, vainly hoping, and here it is! more! beautiful stuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)