Cloyster (Lead)

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Worth mentioning that (1) Cloyster is more of a suicide lead than a bulky lead so don't be afraid to Boom and stuff (2) subcharge, specs, scarf rotom makes a good partner because it blocks Spin and is itself an offensive threat that likes spikes

Wooo one more to go, maybe remlabmez feels like accounting for it's final decision?

So the LO lead is getting all the love, then I'll leave the Rapid Spin set as AC, what do you think?

I like this lead, think I'll give it a go. Life Orb is a good item, suprise suprise most people don't expect the set. Like Setsuna said on the first page, Roserade and Celebi pose a threat, although Roserade is quite frail in defense compared to Celebi's Base 100 in both HP and Def. Although Jirachi does do well, maybe Nape and Shuca Heatran as a secondary pokemon? Jirachi does resist all of Roserade's attack (only HP Fire), but IIRC it can't really hurt Celebi that much besides my favorite set, ParaFlinch, but Celebi does have Natural Cure... Hmm, hard decision..

I was already leaning towards approving this, and with the tested approval of my peers, I will approve.

Or

Approved (3/3)

Updated OP with the set writeup, I used some skeleton from the already on-site LO lead, to keep it not to far from the other sets.

Please check thoroughly.

firecape

This is the end...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Here's a proofread:
[SET]
name: OU Lead
move 1: Spikes
move 2: Surf
move 3: Ice Shard
move 4: Explosion
item: Life Orb
ability: Shell Armor
nature: Quiet
evs:
220 HP / 104 Atk / 180 SpA / 4 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set takes advantage of into account the setting up capabilities of Cloyster, along with it's great natural physical bulk. It can stack Spikes or and deal with most of the leads in of the current metagame with just it's dual STABs and decent attacking stats. In addition, the combination of Surf followed by Ice Shard takes down many suicide leads, and Explosion lets it go out with a bang fulfills the role of a suicide lead after it has finished it's job.</p>

<p>The EVs are specialized for the lead position because they are tailored to beat or setup against most of the common leads. The 220 HP EVs allow Cloyster to survive Azelf’s Fire Blast, take hits from Metagross' Meteor Mash and Jirachi's Iron Head, and even survive a Machamp's Dynamic Punch, all of this to allow Spiking. The 180 EVs in Special Attack along with the 104 in Attack EV's are made specifically to take down Suicide Azelf leads with Surf followed by Ice Shard</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Cloyster has a lot of trouble against Celebi or and Roserade
leads because of it's weaker Special Defense stat and their STAB'd Grass-type attacks. Therefore, Shuca Heatran or and support Jirachi are excellent switch-in's partners to this set with their ability to setup Stealth Rock on the aforementioned Pokemon. resisted hit. Rotom-A also makes a great partner because it can function as a spin blocker. the hardly earned entry hazards and help itself gain some KO's via spikes with the subcharge, specs or scarf sets. It Cloyster loses horribly to Empoleon and Starmie leads making Celebi or and Shaymin great partners as well. Beware of the random Grass Knots some leads might pack to deal with Swampert, since it hits Cloyster with 120 Base Power. Infernape and Heatran leads can kill Cloyster with Fire Blast, but they can be OHKOed likewise with Surf + Ice Shard if they decide to setup Stealth Rock, it's also worth noting that Cloyster survives one a Close Combat from Infernape's Close Combat.</p>

<p>Cloyster's Surf can handle picks on a lot of physically defensive leads like Metagross, Gliscor, Hippowdon, Bronzong, Skarmory and Forretress without the need of Explosion, thus giving more options for Cloyster to deal damage and not being setup fodder for the likes of Scizor, Gyarados and Suicune.(what?)</p>

<p>If your team there is a huge needs of a spinner badly, on a team without more slots to spare then Cloyster can fill that role semi-reliably with Rapid Spin over Explosion using the EV spread: 220 HP / 32 Atk / 252 SpA / 4 SpD and changing the item to Mystic Water in order to still gain the kill on Suicide Azelf via Surf + Rapid Spin + Ice Shard. Toxic Spikes can be used as well in over Spikes on both sets if they are more appealing for the team than Spikes.</p>

In the future, keep in mind that "it's" is a contraction for "it is" and "its" is possessive. Also, since Cloyster has no OU sets, you need an Overview, Team Options, Optional Changes, and Counters section.

Thanks for the proofread firecape, I've added the corrections.

I will add the Overview, Team Options, Optional Changes and Counters later, but they're pretty much summed on the set, should I remove them from the set and add them on their respective sections?

The set write-up should only describe the set itself. All of the other sections should discuss the Pokemon at large. If only one set is viable, a modest amount of overlap is OK, but try to avoid unnecessary repetition; analyses are intended to be terse, after all.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Rising Dusk said:
The set write-up should only describe the set itself. All of the other sections should discuss the Pokemon at large. If only one set is viable, a modest amount of overlap is OK, but try to avoid unnecessary repetition; analyses are intended to be terse, after all.
Um, to put icing on the cake, yes. Nidoking has an OU set, but he doesn't have an OU analysis because he's not all that large or threatening in the OU metagame. Things like Ninetales and Mismagius are also viable in OU, but there's quite a number of problems for them, and they don't counter or make an impact on the "big guys", like Mesprit does to Infernape, Gyarados, and...er. Salamence/Dragonite.

So, Neto...should Cloyster get an OU analysis or just the OU lead set in general?

Well so far, it is the only Cloyster set I've found useful on the OU metagame, so I believe a full analysis isn't needed, but I'll give it a try anyways.

I'm using the Nidoqueen analysis as an example of how should be made.

AccidentalGreed said:
So, Neto...should Cloyster get an OU analysis or just the OU lead set in general?
It is not up to any of us to decide. If Cloyster is to get an OU set, it is to get an OU analysis complete with Overview, Counters, Team Options, and Optional Changes. Nidoking is only as it is because it desperately needs work and is currently outdated.
Neto-senpai said:
I'm using the Nidoqueen analysis as an example of how should be made.
The Nidoqueen analysis is a good example of what is necessary here, yes.

I like Cloyster as a Spiker. I think that he's got a lot of potential, and it's a good alternative to Fortress.

I always think of pumping it's weak SpD, since, if it's going to be leading, you don't wanna have to switch out against a special attacker straight away. Though, if its SpD is so low that it doesn't matter, I say screw it. But! I digress.

<3 you for making a Cloyster build for OU metagame. Now I don't feel silly for thinking about it myself.

Also, this is my first post, and I intend to remember that. So, there.

~Omni~

I'm not a grammar expert but fixed some typos and stuff. ^^

Edits
Removals

Cloyster

[Overview]
<h4>OU</h4>

<p>While Cloyster may seem like an unconventional choice for the OU tier, its one of the few viable users of Spikes with a STAB priority attack and Explosion in its repertory to fill the role of a lead. Cloyster's decent typing and great physical defensive stat allow it to take hits from many powerful leads, such as Swampert, Aerodactyl and Jirachi. While Cloyster is a solid Spikes user, its HP and Special Defense are really low on average, meaning that powerful neutral special attacks will heavily damage it and super effective hits will always KO it. Cloyster's decent offensive stats means it can run a mixed set with STABs alone in the form of Surf and Ice Shard gaining really nice coverage against the common leads in the current metagame. Explosion is an excelent move for a lead that has fulfilled it's job to deal great amounts of damage while also not making Cloyster a setup fodder. Overall, Cloyster is a good choice in OU for teams that need Spikes support from the get go.</p>

[SET]
name: OU Lead
move 1: Spikes
move 2: Surf
move 3: Ice Shard
move 4: Explosion
item: Life Orb
ability: Shell Armor
nature: Quiet
evs: 220 HP / 104 Atk / 180 SpA / 4 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set takes advantage of the set up capabilities of Cloyster along with its great physical bulk. It can stack Spikes and deal with most leads in the current metagame with just its dual STABs and decent attacking stats. In addition, the combination of Surf followed by Ice Shard takes down many suicide leads and Explosion lets it go out with a bang after it has finished it's job. Shell Armor also helps to avoid those random critical hits that may end Cloyster's spiking before it is done.</p>

<p>The EVs are specialized for the lead position because they are tailored to beat or setup against most of the common leads. The 220 HP EVs allow Cloyster to survive Azelf’s Fire Blast, take hits from Metagross' Meteor Mash and Jirachi's Iron Head, and even survive a Machamp's Dynamic Punch, all of this to allow Spiking. The 180 EVs in Special Attack along with the 104 Attack EVs are made specifically to take down Azelf leads with Surf followed by Ice Shard. 4 speed EVs even with minus speed nature will outpace minimum speed Tyranitar along with the slower Swampert and Machamp.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Cloyster's Surf can handle a lot of physically defensive leads like Metagross, Gliscor, Hippowdon, Bronzong, Skarmory and Forretress without the need of Explosion, thus keeping the bang for stat uppers like Gyarados and Suicune.</p>

<p>Cloyster may be a part of a FWG core, by complementing it’s weaknesses with Heatran and Celebi while they can also add to the entry hazards with Stealth Rock. A ghost partner might come in handy to block Rapid Spin, Rotom-A works best here as it resist Cloyster’s electric-type weakness and is immune to the fighting-type weakness.<p>

[Team Options]
<h4>OU</h4>
<p>Shuca Heatran and support Jirachi are excellent partners with their ability to setup Stealth Rock. Rotom-A also makes a great partner because it can function as a Spin-blocker, and also helps itself gain some KO's via spikes with the SubCharge, Specs or Scarf sets. </p>

[Optional Changes]
<h4>OU</h4>

<p>Cloyster can fill the spinner role in the lead spot as well with Rapid Spin over Explosion using the EV spread: 220 HP / 32 Atk / 252 SpA / 4 Spe and changing the item to Mystic Water in order to still gain the kill on Azelf via Surf + Rapid Spin + Ice Shard. Toxic Spikes can be used over Spikes in both sets if they are more appealing for the team. A Rash Nature will speed-tie with minimum speed Metagross and with some investment can be outspeed, just remember that bulk is essential to Cloyster since Rash means it can be killed by Azelf's Fire Blast.</p>

[Counters]
<h4>OU</h4>

<p>Celebi, Empoleon and Starmie leads walk all over Cloyster and Roserade to some extent, but at least Cloyster can badly hurt it with Ice Shard while breaking the Sash on the process. Infernape and Heatran fear Surf + Ice Shard but they can easily kill Cloyster with Fire Blast due being faster, it just depends if they decide to setup Stealth Rock or not. Beware of the random Grass Knots some leads might pack to deal with Swampert, since it hits Cloyster with 120 Base Power. </p>

TAY

You and I Know
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
A minor selling point of this set is that LO explosion deals over 98% damage to standard lead swampert...so you can just explode turn one to stop your opponent's stealth rock! Obviously you don't get spikes down but for a lot of teams stopping the opponent's rocks is much more useful. This should probably be mentioned in the write-up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)