Platinum/HG/SS Battle Frontier and DP Battle Tower Records

Peterko

Never give up!
is a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
you shouldn´t post that to give potential cheaters the last push to actually do it...

that´s totally f... up, I mean cheating frontier records, it doesn´t make any sense (to me at least)

on topic of legally obtained pokémon and records, now I have these three pokémon:

Latias: bold (31-1-31-22-31-31) - caught on soulsilver thanks to enigma stone event (seed: 800D0294, frame: 101)
Garchomp: jolly (31-31-31-22-31) - bred on diamond (delay: 622, frame: 7)
Registeel: impish (31-31-31-25-31-31) - caught yesterday on plat.(seed: 70040282, frame: 1899 with synchro) - big thanks to Fatum who lend me his event gigas ;)

you can guess whether I will use them or not (and what for)...

*applauds Peterko on excellent Pokemon*

On-topic: EV Training is really boring. I guess that Magikarp bridge in Platinum and simulators have made me complacent and lazy. :(

I'm going to try and breed up a good Scizor and Dragonite, then try finding a lead which I can actually get ahold of.

you shouldn´t post that to give potential cheaters the last push to actually do it...

that´s totally f... up, I mean cheating frontier records, it doesn´t make any sense (to me at least)

on topic of legally obtained pokémon and records, now I have these three pokémon:

Latias: bold (31-1-31-22-31-31) - caught on soulsilver thanks to enigma stone event (seed: 800D0294, frame: 101)
Garchomp: jolly (31-31-31-22-31) - bred on diamond (delay: 622, frame: 7)
Registeel: impish (31-31-31-25-31-31) - caught yesterday on plat.(seed: 70040282, frame: 1899 with synchro) - big thanks to Fatum who lend me his event gigas ;)

you can guess whether I will use them or not (and what for)...
Mate Peterko did you see the post I made regarding my streak?

Anyway this is the last time I'm asking this question, since I don''t want to derail the thread further. But I'd appreciate a reply. Thanks in advance.

Peterko

Never give up!
is a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
posted 3 days ago http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2928524&postcount=3037

now stop...asking for me checking the videos and bothering me with the update 3 times only makes the record dubious haha :)

P.S. don´t worry
Ah I overlooked that post, since I didn't see myself being quoted(although that doesn't excuse me), I'm very sorry, that was my mistake. I shalll stop being a nag now.

Finally started doing HG Battle Tower, got to streak 44 (which I know is hardly impressive though I probably would have gotten farther if not for some bullshit HAX. 44 is the highest I ever got on BT.)

My Team:

Starmie
Timid
Expert Belt
252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Psychic, Surf

Pretty much standard special sweeper. Moves give an all around excellent type coverage and pretty much Starmie won me most of the battles just by itself. Starmie solo'ed Tycoon Palmer easily and got me my first print the Silver One.

Salamence
Naive
Life Orb
4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Flamethrower, Draco Meteor, Substitute, EQ

SpecialMence. Didn't really need to use him until the later stages and Life Orb Recoil was one of the reason why I lost to BT thus ending my streak. I forgot that DD needed to be breeded to Salamence so since I didn't feel like breeding DD to Salamence substitute was put instead. Substitute saved my ass especially when later on I finally encountered BT's infamous use of 1 Hit KO Moves , Sheer Cold, Fissure these were both used in the same battle by Walrein which I really hate right now.

Machamp
Adamant
Lum Berry
240 HP / 248 Atk / 16 SpD / 4 Spe
Dynamic Punch, Ice Punch, EQ, Stone Edge

Standard Lead Champ with Lum Berry guranteeing me a chance to KO whatever lead is sent out. This guy won me some important battles especially against pokemon that used Night Slash which would KO Starmie easily. Dynamic Punch confusion hax was the only reason that when I faced Weavile in BT, I did not lose to a sweep. Lum Berry was a big saver for me, especially since I knew that I would be haxxed to death later on. I also found it hilarious when BT tried to use moves like Minimize and Double Team, then I laughed when I finished them off thanks to No Guard.

So here is how I ended and lost my streak:

My opponent had a Togekiss, Walrein, and Whiscash.

First turn my opponent uses Togekiss and I use Starmie. I go for Thunderbolt and bring it right near the red though Togekiss then uses signal beam which gets a Critical and knocks out my Starmie. I then send in Salamence and use Flamethrower to finish it off. Then come in Walrein, from lurking in this thread and reading most of the posts here, I knew that more than likely this Walrein was packing Sheercold and was gonna use to kill me instantly.

Here I sub with Mence and obviously I was right when it tried to Sheercold me. Pretty much I then used Draco Meteor which didn't do that much as I expected, I got the SP.ATK drop then my sub still in place Walrein uses Sheercold again it fails, I go for a flamethrower hoping for critical hax on my side or something and no it does not happen. I am assuming the Walrein was packing Thick Fat, it goes for Sheercold again and once again it fails though by this time Life Orb recoil is taking its toll and putting me in the red. Then I decide to switch out to Machamp to finish it off with Dynamic Punch, but lo and behold the one time I get ready to finish off the stupid Walrein it uses Sheercold and this time Sheer Cold hits KO'ing my Machamp. So I send in Mence again then set up another sub, which leaves me with like 18 HP. Walrein uses Fissure which surprised me especially since Fissure obviously doesn't do crap against flying type pokemon.

I Draco Meteor and this time kill the fat bastad. Though Life Orb brings me down to 1 HP. Then Whiscash came out, I pretty much knew that even if by some luck I get a massive crit with EQ it still would not be finished in 1 turn and Life Orb will finish me. So I EQ and like expected it only does a little more than a quarter damage and I die from Life Orb thus ending my streak. If my Machamp didn't get screwed over and survived I am sure that I could have taken down Whiscash. I really really really hate Walrein and the move Sheer cold right now. >_>

Though a funny thing did happen to me in BT, I faced a Weavile and obviously I know how infamous it is to everyone here who does Battle Frontier. I send out Starmie and it of course outspeeds it and finishes off Starmie with Night Slash. I then send out Machamp and to my surprise Machamp strikes first with Dynamic Punch. O.o
Personally, I've also used Starmie as a lead for the 1-49 battles(only that mine was Modest), I'd really recommend getting a Ground type(a Garchomp, or Gliscor) to cover versus fast Electric types such as Jolteon as opponent leads.

I would also recommend replacing Machamp, since No Guard is not a good ability to use in the Battle Tower, I'd go for an Infernape or a Bullet Punch knowing Scizor so that your team remains covered against Weaville.

I personally, found the team of Starmie, Garchomp and Infernape(Physical), to do great in the 1-49 battles.

Alright, I lost again to a crit Flamethrowing Slow___. Metagross is getting kicked off the team in favor of Snorlax. >:[

Soul Silver Doubles Tower streak ended at 563

Kinda wanted to challenge TRE's records but fell quite short. Not going to do any more in a while though since I'll have to figure out how to RNG Pokewalker stuff. The team is mostly similar to the one I used before but with a few changes.

LEADS

Relaxed / Pressure @ Lum Berry
31 HP / 31 Atk / 31 Def / 29 SpA / 31 SpD / 0 Spe
252 HP, 132 D, 124 SD

Trick Room / Rock Slide / Seismic Toss / Foresight

Brave / Own Tempo @ Focus Sash
[random IVs]
[no EVs]

Protect / Endeavor / Follow Me / Spore

The only part of the team I changed since my last streak. Replaced Night Shade with Seismic Toss because Normal types are more abundant than Ghost types and I didn't like relying on Rock Slide to finish off Normal types. Foresight is still there to take on Ghosts anyway although it takes an extra turn. Lum can usually help against Poison Point/Flame Body/Effect Spore since Seismic Toss is a contact move. EVs are slightly different but just as arbitrary as before (changed for convenience in training).

I got rid of Cleffa because a first turn OHKO ended one of my shorter streaks since my last 'record post'. Clefairy learns Follow Me but at level 16 at the earliest (high HP prevents Rock Slide from KOing after full HP Endeavor). Loss of Magic Guard means weather/status will limit my Endeavors but that annoyance is easier to handle than fighting an uphill battle without Trick Room. Follow Me is used over Fake Out because double OHKO Walrein has a Lax Incense and I fear Fake Out missing. I'm considering using Fake Out instead of Spore though because it can prevent Quick Claw Lapras from Sheer Colding Dusknoir on turn 1 without completely sacrificing Smeargle on the first turn.

BENCH

Brave / No Guard @ Iron Ball
252 HP, 252 A, 4 D

Dynamicpunch / Rock Slide / Fling / Protect

Brave / Clear Body @ Life Orb
252 HP, 252 A, 4 SD

Iron Head / Thunderpunch / Hammer Arm / Explosion

Nothing changed here from the first long streak. Metagross, however, appears to be a weak link. It speed ties with Hippowdon which can lead to some very tense moments (see 68-64119-29774). Although Snorlax has lower Attack, it gets a stronger 100 acc STAB move to make up for it. Even the weaker Self Destruct is stronger than Metagross' Explosion due to STAB. My only concern is the Fighting weakness Snorlax has since Fighting types are pretty common. But at least I wouldn't be losing Snorlax to any crit Flamethrowers from Water types. >_<

Battle vid # is 49-54312-72105

- I had Machamp attack Gallade instead of Slowking because I didn't want to lose to Brightpowder hax; however, if I had killed Slowking (with Fling + Seismic Toss), I could probably have finished off Gallade easily the following turn since it doesn't carry a Psychic move. That's what happens when you play and watch TV simultaneously. -_-;

- I still can't believe I don't have it ingrained in my mind that Metagross should beware of Slowbro/Slowking after my previous streak was terminated in the same manner

all right, i'm going to challenge the BT with the following team:

Lead:
modest azelf@life orb
252 sp.atk/252 spd
~nasty plot
~thunderbolt
~flamethrower
~psychic

lonley garchomp@life orb
252 atk/ 252 spd
~swords dance
~dragon claw
~earthquake
~thunder fang

modest empoleon@life orb
252 sp.atk/252 spd
~surf
~grass knot
~ice beam
~flash cannon

what do you think? i'm thinking of changing emp to togekiss?

and i apologize in advance if i posted this. i have read the rules, but i want advice from the experts :P

Triple Life Orb is an interesting concept, but Azelf will probably die a lot, particularly if you try to set up Nasty Plot. If you want to use Nasty Plot, I'd go with Focus Sash; if you're sticking with Life Orb, I'd go with Explosion over Nasty Plot. Also, a team like this will REALLY like +Speed natures, since anything with a +Speed nature at Garchomp's speed or faster will outspeed your entire tea. Use Timid or Naive on Azelf (if you can get it), and Jolly on Garchomp. Empoleon can go either way for Modest vs. Timid; I'd look at the speed tier list and see what you'll outspeed by using a +Speed nature. I don't know if you're terrified of Gyarados or something, but I'd avoid Thunder Fang on Garchomp; Dragon Claw hits almost as hard on other Flying-types (except for Skarmory) and doesn't have that annoying 5% chance of missing. I'd use Substitute over Thunder Fang; it gives you a chance at stalling an opposing Pokemon out of a OHKO move, and it protects against Quick Claw hax and faster Pokemon. If you happen to have one up when an opposing Pokemon comes in, you also block Intimidate, which is nice (though you probably won't have a Sub up most of the time). You could try Fire Fang (which I don't like) or Flamethrower instead, if you prefer; even with a -SpAtk nature and no EVs, it can mess up most Skarmory pretty badly, and Bronzong generally isn't all that threatening. Substitute's probably best, though; Empoleon already walls Skarmory and KOs it, and it doesn't have much of a problem with Bronzong 1-3 (though watch out for Charge Beam on Bronzong 3). And speaking of Bronzong, your team hates Bronzong 4; if Azelf is dead and it happens to have Levitate, you'll have serious problems. I feel like your team will have serious problems with Quick Claw hax (Hippowdon's a bitch), since hax will end your streak early more times than not if you're not running Sub (or even if you're just running it on Garchomp, but don't have any reliable method to set it up). I'd like to see how far a 3x Life Orb team can get, though, whether it be this one or another one. Good luck!

Edit: Don't use Togekiss. Weavile would destroy your team, and it already messes it up pretty badly. In general, you'll hate having two Ice weaknesses and no resistance; the fact that it can switch in on so many attacks aimed at Garchomp is what makes Empoleon potentially viable on this team.

Doesn't the Tower enforce Item Clause?
if that's true, i'm fucked.
EDIT - it's true, i'm fucked. :(

time to switch things up a bit... might be able to post my record in about a week or so. :)

SECOND EDIT - F. M. L. i had a nice streak at the arcade, about 47 and one more battle before 2nd brain match. i had my azelf going 3-0 in most of my matches, when i was up against a team that was made of slowking, poliwrath and drifblim. ofc azelf can ohko all these with thungerbolt, i thought, but i was tired and i got the "switch pokemon" event by accident. so i got king, wrath and blim and he got zelf, chomp and emp. i was 3-0'ed :( fmfl.

When you go to VS Seeker and check your Frontier Record it shows that I've beaten Palmer, but the other ''boxes'' are questionmarks.

I've played Singles until battle #70 and Doubles doesn't do anything as I'm somewhere at #240 right now.

So, who/what do I have to beat for those other ''boxes'' ?

When you go to VS Seeker and check your Frontier Record it shows that I've beaten Palmer, but the other ''boxes'' are questionmarks.

I've played Singles until battle #70 and Doubles doesn't do anything as I'm somewhere at #240 right now.

They're for Frontier Prints. You receive these after:
In the Tower, Castle, Factory, and Arcade:
Silver - 21 battles
Gold - 49 battles
And in the Hall:
Silver - 50 battles
Gold - 170 battles
Good luck if you want to go for them all!
EDIT: Oh, and they all have to be in Singles.

Those boxes with question marks are for the Prints of the other battle Frontier facilities. You've already obtained the Battle Tower Silver Print for beating Palmer at 21 wins and then later upgraded it into a Gold Print at 49 wins when defeating Palmer a 2nd time. For the other prints you need to get:

1)21 wins in the Battle Castle single mode for Silver Print and 49 wins for Gold Print, the Frontier Brains there are Castle Valet Darach and Caitlin.

2)21 wins in the Battle Arcade single mode for Silver Print and 49 wins single mode for Gold Print, the Frontier Brain there is Arcade Star Dahlia.

3)50 wins in the Battle Hall single mode for Silver Print and 170 wins single mode for Gold Print, the Frontier Brain there is Hall Matron Argenta.

4) 21 wins in the Battle Factory single mode for Silver Print and 49 wins single mode for Gold Print, the Frontier Brain there is Factory Head Thorton.

I put them in the order of how I view their difficulty from easiest to hardest. When you get the prints they'll show a picture of the Frontier Brain of the respective facility, just like for Palmer.

For more info go here: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Commemorative_print

EDIT

When I started writing this post, Tombstoner's message wasn't yet posted. Apologies. I guess I should've previewed first, but since it took me a while to write this and the link might be helpful to Eppie, I decided not to delete it.

if that's true, i'm fucked.
EDIT - it's true, i'm fucked. :(

time to switch things up a bit... might be able to post my record in about a week or so. :)

SECOND EDIT - F. M. L. i had a nice streak at the arcade, about 47 and one more battle before 2nd brain match. i had my azelf going 3-0 in most of my matches, when i was up against a team that was made of slowking, poliwrath and drifblim. ofc azelf can ohko all these with thungerbolt, i thought, but i was tired and i got the "switch pokemon" event by accident. so i got king, wrath and blim and he got zelf, chomp and emp. i was 3-0'ed :( fmfl.
You may want to try them in the Battle Castle, since the Item Clause isn't enforced there. Plus, you can just run calcs to see what you can OHKO with Azelf beforehand, which is very handy.

Alright, I lost again to a crit Flamethrowing Slow___. Metagross is getting kicked off the team in favor of Snorlax. >:[

Soul Silver Doubles Tower streak ended at 563
Interesting how you've gotten that far with moves like Rock Slide and Hammer Arm. I so would've used Night Shade and Brick Break over those.
Metagross is also too fast in my opinion, but it worked out for you.

Congrats on your awesome streak.

@Tombstoner and Kamisutra, thanks for the info.

I'm going to start up the Battle Hall again, and I would like to use a base 600 Dragon, but they all get taken out by Weavile (or Froslass and Glalie to a lesser extent) with Ice Shard. Dragonite can't reach high enough Speed to outspeed Weavile with Extremespeed, (Froslass is immune to it,) Salamence's Intimidate doesn't hurt Weavile enough to avoid the 2HKO from Ice Shard, and Garchomp has no defense really. The only remaining option I can come up with is Double Team or Swagger which are both very risky and take up an important moveslot. Any ideas or suggestions for a Dragon run? Or would I be better off forgetting the 4x Ice weak Dragons and picking something else?

Interesting how you've gotten that far with moves like Rock Slide and Hammer Arm. I so would've used Night Shade and Brick Break over those.
Metagross is also too fast in my opinion, but it worked out for you.

Congrats on your awesome streak.
Thanks. The reason for Hammer Arm is actually to help with the speed issue somewhat and for the extra power over Brick Break. I rarely used it so maybe I was lucky I didn't miss with it at a crucial time.

Rock Slide on the other hand is quite useful despite its 90 accuracy. It has a better chance of flinching than missing and with Dusknoir's decent Attack, it dents Rock-weak Pokemon pretty hard. It's not uncommon for me to finish off the first 3 Pokemon in 3 turns if they have a Rock-weak Pokemon. Flinches are a big bonus because it gives my low-level Pokemon an extra turn to Endeavor - every now and then I sweep the AI 4-0 because of a single flinch.

Plus, I use it only when the risk of missing is covered by the rest of the team. Let's say Pokemon A and B are on the field and I intend to Endeavor Pokemon A. If Rock Slide can finish off Pokemon A and Pokemon B can be severely damaged by either Metagross/Machamp, I'll Rock Slide. Worst case scenario is having Rock Slide miss both Pokemon A and B while my low level Pokemon faints in two hits. The very next turn Dusknoir finishes off Pokemon A while Pokemon B gets hit hard by Metagross/Machamp. IOW, if I can revenge kill on the subsequent turn, I'm more likely to take the risk.

If either Rock Slide can't finish off Pokemon A or I feel like I really, really need to take out Pokemon A (e.g. a Quick Claw or OHKO Pokemon), I'll be using Seismic Toss. If Pokemon B has a Brightpowder and/or resists Rock, I'll forgo Rock Slide as well since the payoff isn't worth potentially missing against Pokemon A.

I'm going to start up the Battle Hall again, and I would like to use a base 600 Dragon, but they all get taken out by Weavile (or Froslass and Glalie to a lesser extent) with Ice Shard. Dragonite can't reach high enough Speed to outspeed Weavile with Extremespeed, (Froslass is immune to it,) Salamence's Intimidate doesn't hurt Weavile enough to avoid the 2HKO from Ice Shard, and Garchomp has no defense really. The only remaining option I can come up with is Double Team or Swagger which are both very risky and take up an important moveslot. Any ideas or suggestions for a Dragon run? Or would I be better off forgetting the 4x Ice weak Dragons and picking something else?
I'm not sure if it'd work, but perhaps a 31 IV Def Salamence with a Yache Berry would hold out two Ice Shards after an Intimidate? Just a suggestion, I haven't done any damage calculations.

Personally, my goal in the Hall was getting the Gold Print, and I did so with a Garchomp, so I always picked Ice and Dark first to outlevel Weavile, if I faced him. But if you're aiming for a 300+ streak that obviously wouldn't be enough for you.

@Zacchaeus: Dragonite @ Sash with Rock Tomb (80% accurate Rock move that lowers opponent speed) + Extremespeed will beat Weavile.

73.6% chance of winning (Rock Tomb not missing + no ice freeze after 1st turn). I think that's the highest it gets for 4x ice weak dragons.

For Salamence, (iirc) Weavile will Ice Punch first, followed by Ice shard, which, even at -1 and Yache, will KO Salamence for sure. If it's 2 Ice shards, then Weavile has around (a bit less than) 50% chance of winning.

As Chinise Dood just said, Rock Tomb + Extremespeed KOs Weavile, but I've been looking at Dragonite, and Froslass is more likely to beat it in a worst case scenario (ie it uses Hail, you have 60% chance of hitting it and Focus Sash is gone, then it KOs with now 100% accurate Blizzard next turn).
Obviously two moves for one Pokemon means you have only two free slots for the rest of Ice and Dark too.

Another problem with Dragonite is Psychic, since it doesn't have Crunch. You have to use some ridiculous moves if you don't want to risk confusion.

Having said that, I'm still gonna use Dragonite in the Hall myself.

Screw the Battle Factory - nowhere else in the world will you see six Hypnosis misses in a row, and the opponent hitting with Sing twice. All this after a barrage of crits which left me with Milotic against Blissey and Garchomp. And when I finally put Blissey to sleep, it just swapped out and Natural Cure healed it.

Hell, I even managed to beat the Garchomp because it came in on Surf, then used Double Team. Then Blissey started spamming crits and SpD drops with Shadow Ball. :(

So what you guys are saying is, however fun and cool it is to use Dragonite/Garchomp/Salamence in the Battle Hall, Ice types take advantage of them?

I'm trying to come up with the perfect Battle Hall Pokémon, my candidates:
Garchomp, Salamence, Dragonite, Metagross, Tyranitar, Slaking, Cresselia, Heatran, Latias, Latios

Getting through the Battle Hall with a 4x weakness is sometimes impossible, so I'll try to avoid that:
Garchomp, Salamence, Dragonite, Metagross, Tyranitar, Slaking, Cresselia, Heatran, Latias, Latios

There can only be one:

So, we have Slaking, the physical destroyer of worlds. We have Metagross, the half tank half physical brute. We have Cresselia, the versatile moon tank. And we have Latios, the special destroyer of worlds. What are your thoughts, Smogon? Truant is a big turn-off, but with Slaking's good bulk, Speed, and fantastic Attack, it usually wouldn't take more than one turn to take the opponent out. I never actually considered Cresselia, but I wouldn't underestimate her

73.6% chance of winning (Rock Tomb not missing + no ice freeze after 1st turn). I think that's the highest it gets for 4x ice weak dragons.
As I mentioned last year, I have a 100% successful method for 4x Ice-weak Dragons to win (Dragonite and Garchomp can use this, but not Salamence as it can't learn Fling). I used Garchomp in my case: Have the dragon hold a Razor Fang and use Fling, thus flinching Weavile to ruin its Sash, then KO with Outrage. Trust me, it works (AI is too stupid to use Ice Shard on the second turn). Then, replace Fling with whatever your third attack move was after defeating all Ice and Dark types.

It works with Garchomp, but I don't know for sure if max-speed Dragonite at level 100 outspeeds lowest-possible-level Weavile (that's why I do Ice and Dark first anyway, for lowest levels).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)