1000th Post - A World Champions Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool that you live near me (I live outside of Philly).

Anyway, I got a few quick questions that have probably been answered (or might be obvious to pros) but I couldn't find them.

Why did you choose the team you did? What is tournament legal and why did you pick Pokemon from UU-tier? What was your rationale behind it all?

Next, did you use GameShark or some hack to get max IVs and then EV train them? Or did you catch / breed the Pokemon you used in the tournament?

Finally, what are the rules for the tournament? It seems weird and unlike the normal ShoddyBattle rules. Is it normal for tournaments to be doubles? I've never really investigated the doubles meta-game, any tips or quick info about it compared to singles?

MK Ultra

BOOGEYMAN
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Epic names. (But I would have called Dialga Dreamline)

Trick Room really seemed to dominate in VGC, but I really don't understand the rules.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Why did you choose the team you did?
Probably through extensive testing, like most players. He has a list of teams he considered successful but did not use, along with short explanations here.

What is tournament legal and why did you pick Pokemon from UU-tier? What was your rationale behind it all?
http://www.pokemonvgc.com/en/regulations.php

The UU tiers only apply to a Pokémon's performance in Singles Battles. The VGC uses Double Battles.

I'll assume since you mentioned Shoddy you have a decent amount of experience. Enough to figure out how his team works from watching his battles.

Next, did you use GameShark or some hack to get max IVs and then EV train them? Or did you catch / breed the Pokemon you used in the tournament?
Questions regarding the hack check are not allowed here. Just know that the hack check programs are sophisticated enough that if you just slap on max IVs, you will likely be caught.

However, we figured out how to manipulate the RNG in the games over a year ago, so we can get flawless (or near-flawless) and\or shiny Pokémon at will. Most people who didn't know how to manipulate the RNG obtained Pokémon from someone who did. I don't know where BlueCookies' came from.

Finally, what are the rules for the tournament? It seems weird and unlike the normal ShoddyBattle rules. Is it normal for tournaments to be doubles?
Once again: http://www.pokemonvgc.com/en/regulations.php

The tournaments are doubles because singles takes way too long, especially when the regionals have hundreds of participants.

I've never really investigated the doubles meta-game, any tips or quick info about it compared to singles?
Nothing quick. You're just going to have to explore for yourself. Try playing double battles on Pokémon Online, or watching some battle videos.

There's a pretty good Double Battle guide on the main site that has a lot of info that holds true for both VGC style and 6v6 with other rules. The 2v2 subforum was also changed to be VGC-specific fairly recently.

Like OD said, Smogon tiering applies to usage statistics for single battles played on Shoddy Battle. Lots of UU/NU Pokemon have abilities and moves that make them much more valuable in doubles.

Probably through extensive testing, like most players. He has a list of teams he considered successful but did not use, along with short explanations here.

http://www.pokemonvgc.com/en/regulations.php

The UU tiers only apply to a Pokémon's performance in Singles Battles. The VGC uses Double Battles.

I'll assume since you mentioned Shoddy you have a decent amount of experience. Enough to figure out how his team works from watching his battles.

Questions regarding the hack check are not allowed here. Just know that the hack check programs are sophisticated enough that if you just slap on max IVs, you will likely be caught.

However, we figured out how to manipulate the RNG in the games over a year ago, so we can get flawless (or near-flawless) and\or shiny Pokémon at will. Most people who didn't know how to manipulate the RNG obtained Pokémon from someone who did. I don't know where BlueCookies' came from.

Once again: http://www.pokemonvgc.com/en/regulations.php

The tournaments are doubles because singles takes way too long, especially when the regionals have hundreds of participants.

Nothing quick. You're just going to have to explore for yourself. Try playing double battles on Pokémon Online, or watching some battle videos.
Ah -- thanks, that really helps explain a lot of it. He did mention "Pokesaving" so... :-P Although considering his opponent had Shinys I'm sure they both either used a program or RNG.

I have some idea on how his team works, pretty interesting and different from the Singles meta. I wonder if they will move to Triples once Black/White comes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)