Gardevoir (Update)

Flora

Yep, that tasted purple!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Sure, that change would be awesome. Thanks!

EDIT: I think this is done now.

EDIT: Went through the analysis again and cropped off some fat and fixed some prose/grammar.

Flora

Yep, that tasted purple!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Since this was made before QC started, I honestly don't know what to do with this. I'd like to note that I'm still in for completing this, but I'm not sure if this needs content checks or what. GP checks can wait out of this until I'm sure though.

edit:

I'm going to have this moved to UU QC because there's some other stuff that I think want discussion.

- Should Will-O-Wisp go on the Calm Mind set?

- Should there be a pure Life Orb set without Calm Mind? Maybe Will-O-Wisp in there too.

- Should there be a "stallbreaker" set with Pain Split/Wish/Taunt/Will-O-Wisp with Timid max Speed?

- possibly other stuff

breh

強いだね
Well.. I've had some good times with Subsplit Gardevoir.

Psychic/Focus Blast/Substitute/Pain Split; max speed/SpA; timid and LO

Really good check to weather (it can stall it out with substitute; taking into account its death, 5 of those 6 turns are now wasted; it's very fun to steal sand veil, ice body, or (big one) magic Guard) and is pretty good due to low HP. I run it alongside Alakazam; both are potent sweepers and break down eachother's counters.

If you don't mind, could I reserve the Life Orb Attacker set in advance? I've already written a skeleton of it (link) and it's gained enough support to warrant a full write up.

Flora

Yep, that tasted purple!
Well.. I've had some good times with Subsplit Gardevoir.

Psychic/Focus Blast/Substitute/Pain Split; max speed/SpA; timid and LO

Really good check to weather (it can stall it out with substitute; taking into account its death, 5 of those 6 turns are now wasted; it's very fun to steal sand veil, ice body, or (big one) magic Guard) and is pretty good due to low HP. I run it alongside Alakazam; both are potent sweepers and break down eachother's counters.
I actually never thought about using Substitute and Pain Split together. Maybe it's because I believe Rotom does it a little better with its two immunities but I'll give SubSplit Garde a try... somehow in this Heracross metagame.

If you don't mind, could I reserve the Life Orb Attacker set in advance? I've already written a skeleton of it (link) and it's gained enough support to warrant a full write up.
Sure, and when you're done (with its GP checks and stuff), I'll incorporate the set within this analysis.

WHY HELLO

I can't find much to change, you've done an excellent job. But maybe you should talk a bit on offensive sets about how Trace Gardevoir is an effective check against Rain teams. It can outspeed and O-2HKO the majority of Pokemon commonly seen on rain.

That's all I can find really. =)

I asked this question in a simple questions thread the other day, but perhaps I am more likely to get a response here.

Now that the recommended support set for Gardy is Calm > Modest with different EVs, maybe someone could shed some light on this transition of thinking? I understand the new spread itself, just was wondering what caused it to be made.

My original question was related to the previously recommended 32 speed EVs on the support / double status sets. I was hoping someone could explain the reasoning behind that as I did not see it called out in the descriptions.

Also, is Modest support (or double status) still viable / what would the EV spread for that look like now?

Since Gardevoir has only 65 base Defense, wouldn't this set help eliminate that nasty weakness to Absol?

Gardevoir@Leftovers
Bold
252 HP/252 Def/4 Spe
Calm Mind
Psychic
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast/Thunderbolt/Will-o-wisp

Flora

Yep, that tasted purple!
@Troggy, I think it's logical that defensive spreads warrant defensive natures. Even if Gardevoir's Special Attack is higher, if the set is defensive, it will probably want a defensive nature to survive more attacks better. Plus, there's only one attack on the set unless you go off track and put Thunderbolt in.

About the Speed EVs: they're pretty outdated, but so is my spread now (which is in fact Speed creeping so I need to fix that...). Possibly the best EVs for the defensive spread can go Calm 252 HP/4 Def/252 SpD which doesn't Speed creep and optimizes Special Defense. However, I think there could be a different EV spread regarding more Defense to survive a specific physical assault, but I will need to research it.

Double status can basically be merged in the first support set. I don't see why it needs to be its own set if it has mostly the same characteristics as the support set. That would probably have the EV spread I mentioned above.

@gamedog, I've tried Bold max/max before and it's decent but not that great. It honestly doesn't "eliminate" the Absol weakness as LO +0 Absol still does 90.6% - 107.6% with Night Slash, which is a guaranteed KO after Stealth Rock.

I don't think that Calm Mind set would be too great due to the low Speed investment, which lets basically all sweepers outrun and kill Gardevoir.

----------------

Anyways, I've been slacking off on testing SubSplit but I'll try to get some results out soon (tomorrow!).

edit: lol IDK if it's me but I don't want to log into shoddy. >.<

@Troggy, I think it's logical that defensive spreads warrant defensive natures. Even if Gardevoir's Special Attack is higher, if the set is defensive, it will probably want a defensive nature to survive more attacks better. Plus, there's only one attack on the set unless you go off track and put Thunderbolt in.

About the Speed EVs: they're pretty outdated, but so is my spread now (which is in fact Speed creeping so I need to fix that...). Possibly the best EVs for the defensive spread can go Calm 252 HP/4 Def/252 SpD which doesn't Speed creep and optimizes Special Defense. However, I think there could be a different EV spread regarding more Defense to survive a specific physical assault, but I will need to research it.

Double status can basically be merged in the first support set. I don't see why it needs to be its own set if it has mostly the same characteristics as the support set. That would probably have the EV spread I mentioned above.
Thanks for getting back to me :)

I understand that Calm makes a lot of sense, I guess I just made the mistake of breeding a Modest one which I wanted to put to use. I think it will still work, I'll just have to make up my own EV spread.

Imo Taunt should get a mention in the AC of the support set.

Also, Defense EVs on the support set are nice to make Close Combat's a 3HKO isntead of a 2HKO. It would also help switching into Arcanine a little bit easier. I recommend talking to Flare as he's good with spreads and calculations. That's not my forte. :)

Flora

Yep, that tasted purple!
@Thund, Taunt seems interesting, especially against Spiritomb without Shadow Ball. I'll mention it in the little lonely paragraph that's mentioning Thunderbolt.

Aaand, I can probably do EV spreads.

252 HP = Scarf Hitmonlee does 42.4% - 50% with Close Combat
252 HP/124 Def = Life Orb Hitmonlee does 42.4% - 50% with Close Combat

However, Arcanine's Flare Blitz is always going to be hurting a lot, doing 81.2% - 95.6% to a 252 HP/124 spread with Flare Blitz. Personally, I wouldn't even try to deal with Arcanine with Gardevoir because it's immune to Will-O-Wisp and will probably outrun Gardevoir anyways.

So maybe Calm 252 HP/124 Def/132 SpD could be an alternative EV spread for the first set?

@Troggy, no problem.

Erm, that's odd. Did you take Intimidate into account? I guess I must have just been facing extremely defensive Arcanine. Still, Gardevoir can handle Flash Fire Arcanine decently.

Flora

Yep, that tasted purple!
Erm, that's odd. Did you take Intimidate into account? I guess I must have just been facing extremely defensive Arcanine. Still, Gardevoir can handle Flash Fire Arcanine decently.
Oh, I didn't set Intimidate (using the standard first set from the Arcanine analysis); I totally forgot about that ability.

Still, it would be a clean 2HKO (54.1% - 63.8%) with Arcanine outrunning Gardevoir. If it's Life Orbed, I guess it would be taking more damage though.

But yeah, I agree, Flash Fire Arcanine is easier to handle than Intimidate.

edit: I guess I'll leave SubSplit out of this, sorry Breludicolo.

Bluewind

GIVE EO WARSTORY
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'd move the 12 Def EVs to Speed on the Choice Specs set in order to allow it to tie with other base 80 pokés. With Venusaur on every corner added to the eventual Jolly Kabutops, SD Blaziken and such, you'll enjoy the 50% chance of beating them. Outside of that, analysis looks beyond beautiful:

Flora

Yep, that tasted purple!
Moved the Defense EVs to Speed EVs.

I know I can move this to Copyediting, but I still need to finish rewriting some of the sections. Then this will be okay to go.

edit: wait, this is QC, lol. Isn't it x/3?

edit: oh, okay. Thanks Bluewind!

Bluewind

GIVE EO WARSTORY
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm pretty sure you only need 2 QC Stamps right now, as whistle's Clefable has just been approved a few days ago with 2.

Flora

Yep, that tasted purple!
Okay, I've finished going over this analysis. GPers (except Snorlaxe) may check this.

Some stuff I did:

- SubSplit in Optional Changes
- alternative EV spread for the Support set
- added mention of "double status" in Support's Additional Comments
- trimmed some sentences off while adding some new ones
- such as > like
- grammar stuff

(Snorlaxe, I've made you check this twice already, so I don't want you revisiting this thread to grammar check three times already. >.< I'm sure it's a headache!)

edit: whoops, forgot some.

- Will-O-Wisp as an alternative option for the Calm Mind set
- "stallbreaker" for optional changes

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm late! I'm late! For a very important

GP Check 1/2

Deletions
Additions

[Overview]

<p>At first sight, Alakazam and Uxie seem to both outclass Gardevoir, but she can distinguish herself by being offensive and defensive at the same time. Gardevoir's support movepool, including Will-O-Wisp, Wish, Taunt, and Encore, allows her to disrupt the enemy's team while aiding her own side. Offensively, Gardevoir has base 125 Special Attack, along with Psychic, Shadow Ball, Focus Blast, and Thunderbolt to deal massive damage to incoming foes. She also comes with the rare Trace ability, allowing her to copy an opponent's ability and turn the tables on them.</p>

<p>Gardevoir has a few problems to address, however. Due to Gardevoir being a balance of offense and defense, if you're looking for a Pokemon that specializes towards one end of the spectrum, Alakazam or Uxie may be more suitable. As with Alakazam, Gardevoir has low Defense and HP stats, meaning that she is vulnerable to Pursuit-wielding physical attackers. Gardevoir's 80 base Speed is also rather average, allowing many other Pokemon to outspeed her. Nevertheless, Gardevoir's Trace ability, great movepool, and spectacular special stats all do her a great favor.</p>

[SET]
name: Support
move 1: Will-O-Wisp
move 2: Psychic
move 3: Wish / Pain Split
move 4: Protect / Heal Bell
item: Leftovers
ability: Trace
nature: Calm
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set aims to support the team by burning and cutting the opponent's Attack stat in half while providing overall healing with the help of Gardevoir's immerse special bulk.</p>

<p>Will-O-Wisp allows Gardevoir to cripple enemy physical attackers, such as Absol, Drapion, and Spiritomb, with a damaging burn. To restore Gardevoir's health, she can use Wish and Protect; the combination essentially gives Gardevoir a 50% recovery move. Protect also helps increase the damage Will-O-Wisp does by skipping a turn you stall while the opponent is continuously hurt by burn. If a cleric is needed, Gardevoir can do that with Heal Bell, but note that Wish will become much more difficult to use. Therefore, using Pain Split to restore health with Heal Bell is recommended when using Heal Bell, choosing Pain Stall as the health recovery move is recommended.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>If Pain Split is being used, note that there will be several cases where it performs better or worse than Wish and Protect note that it can perform either better or worse than Wish and Protect depending on the circumstances. Against Clefable, Wish and Protect would be the superior option (but note that Pain Split can still heal from Clefable even though she won't take any damage from Pain Split it). However, if Pain Split is used on Chansey, expect a massive amount of health stolen due to her base 250 HP. In other cases, the opponent could switch in a low HP Pokemon on a Pain Split, hurting Gardevoir with potentially lower HP and a non-productive turn essentially making Gardevoir waste a turn hurting herself..</p>

<p>Although not mentioned, Thunderbolt can be used on the fourth slot if Protect or Heal Bell aren't necessary. Thunderbolt allows Gardevoir to attack Pokemon who take little or no damage from Psychic, such as Drapion, Houndoom, and Mesprit. Gardevoir can also utilize Taunt, which can stop slower walls from using support moves. Last but not least, Hypnosis and Thunder Wave are usable for double status. Hypnosis can effectively remove a Pokemon from play. Thunder Wave can slow down deadly Pokemon such as Arcanine and Houndoom, allowing your teammates to outrun and KO them.</p>

<p>The EVs allow Gardevoir to be as specially bulky as possible. 252 HP and 252 Special Defense EVs allow Gardevoir to survive dangerous attacks such as Life Orb Dark Pulse from +2 Modest Toxicroak, Choice Specs Shadow Ball from Timid Rotom, and Life Orb Surf in the rain from Omastar. Gardevoir can also use a more physically bulky spread with 252 HP / 124 Def / 132 SpD. With this spread, Gardevoir takes 42.4% - 50% from Jolly Life Orb Hitmonlee's Close Combat. In return, Gardevoir has a high chance to OHKO Hitmonlee with Psychic despite no Special Attack investment.</p>

<p>Gardevoir will usually run into trouble against Flash Fire Pokemon—namely Houndoom and Arcanine—who can absorb her Will-O-Wisp. Teammates who can deal with these Pokemon are extremely beneficial to Gardevoir. Against these Fire-types, Water-type Pokemon such as Blastoise and Milotic can switch in and destroy them these Fire-types with Surf. Pokemon with Calm Mind and Taunt or Substitute, such as Mismagius and Alakazam, are equally threatening. Encore can be used over Heal Bell to solve remedy this weakness if the foe isn't using Taunt, but note that Will-O-Wisp is illegal with Encore, so Thunder Wave or Hypnosis will have to replace Will-O-Wisp. Alternatively, Registeel deals with Mismagius, Alakazam, and even certain physical priority users such as Ambipom and Scyther, but be wary that Registeel may take a good chunk of damage in return, especially if you mispredict and switch into the wrong attack.</p>

<p>Strong physical attackers who outspeed Gardevoir and have not been burned by Will-O-Wisp will be a problem, especially Pursuit users. Venusaur, Scyther, and Absol all fall in this problematic category. Therefore, a strong physical tank or wall, will be worthwhile to use such as Registeel, Rotom, or Weezing, will make a good partner for Gardevoir. Registeel can Thunder Wave these threats, while the other two can burn them if Gardevoir fails to do so on the switch.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice
move 1: Psychic
move 2: Thunderbolt
move 3: Focus Blast
move 4: Trick / Shadow Ball
item: Choice Specs / Choice Scarf
nature: Timid / Modest
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With a Choice item, Gardevoir becomes either an efficient revenge killer or an extreme damage dealer. A great offensive movepool, access to Trick, and acceptable-placed acceptably distributed base stats allow Gardevoir to become a dangerous threat.</p>

<p>Psychic, combined with Thunderbolt, gives Gardevoir the ability to hit every Pokemon in UU for neutral damage, except for Steelix, Magneton, Shedinja, and Exeggutor. Steel-types including Steelix, Magneton, and Registeel are hammered by Focus Blast. To top the set off, Trick allows Gardevoir to cripple an incoming wall with an unwanted item, such as Chansey, Clefable, and Registeel, with an unwanted item. Against To deal with Psychic- and Ghost-types, such as the aforementioned Shedinja and Exeggutor, Shadow Ball is a great alternative move over Trick.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs listed apply if Gardevoir is using a Timid nature. 252 Speed EVs allow Gardevoir to reach 426 Speed with a Choice Scarf, outrunning everything up to and including Electrode and Modest Choice Scarf Rotom, and those dwelling under. If Modest is the chosen nature, 16 Def / 252 SpA / 240 Spe should be used. 240 Speed EVs reach 384 Speed, outrunning max Speed positive nature base 125 Pokemon, namely Swellow. As for the choice of item, the Choice Scarf is the main option as it gives Gardevoir's base 80 Speed a grand boost, allowing her to outrun and deal good damage to most threats in conjunction with her already-high base 125 Special Attack. On the other hand, Choice Specs does nothing for Gardevoir's Speed, but it does provide gives an incredible power boost behind to every attack; for instance, Gardevoir has a chance to 2HKO the standard Registeel and OHKO 252 / 252 Calm Clefable with Focus Blast.</p>

<p>Choice Gardevoir has a rough time with Pursuit users, especially those who resist or are immune to Psychic. Drapion, Absol, and Spiritomb are all associated as Pursuit users massive threats for this reason. Unfortunately, there is not much that can be done, especially if Gardevoir finishes off a target Pokemon and a Pursuit user switches in for the revenge kill. If keeping Gardevoir alive throughout the match to KO an important Pokemon is necessary, then be wary of what Pokemon Gardevoir may be attacking at the start. Caution is therefore required if you want to have Gardevoir stick around to KO important Pokemon. Double switching Gardevoir out to a Pokemon who can take on the aformentioned three Dark-types, such as Donphan and Venusaur, may seem like a lousy waste of a turn, but this effectively scouts what Pursuit user the foe could may have.</p>

<p>Even with Trick, Gardevoir will still have problems with special walls, primarily Chansey. Dugtrio will solve any Chansey problems with his Arena Trap ability and Earthquake unless Chansey holds Shed Shell. If Dugtrio isn't suitable, ironically, Pursuit users on Gardevoir’s side will work as well. Drapion, Absol, and Spiritomb, despite being vulnerable to status by from Chansey, are some STAB Pursuit users who can trap and kill her. Defensive Fighting-types such as Hitmontop and Hariyama will also help out against Chansey, although rare is the scenario where an opponent will leave Chansey in against these Fighting-types although to force the foe to leave Chansey in against these Fighting types, there must be a "check-mate" scenario happening. Hitmontop also comes with a Technician-boosted Pursuit.</p>

[SET]
name: Calm Mind
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Focus Blast
move 3: Shadow Ball / Thunderbolt
move 4: Psychic / Taunt
item: Leftovers / Life Orb
nature: Timid

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Gardevoir with Calm Mind can sweep teams given the right scenario. With certain moves providing overall neutral coverage With the moves to provide neutral coverage as well as stopping walls or tanks from being annoying, Gardevoir can prove to be a stable Calm Mind sweeper.</p>

<p>Calm Mind is the purpose of this set, allowing Gardevoir to increase her special stats to astounding levels. Focus Blast and Shadow Ball together hit every Pokemon for neutral damage, especially Pokemon who Gardevoir cannot harm with her STAB Psychic, such as Registeel, Uxie, and Absol. Thunderbolt is a great alternative move over Shadow Ball to provide more damage over against a different group of Pokemon, such as Milotic, Moltres, and Drifblim. Psychic is Gardevoir's best STAB attack to use, but its coverage may be redundant. As such, Taunt is a great replacement over Psychic to prevent status from incoming walls while also stopping them from restoring their health.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>If Gardevoir has Taunt in place of Psychic, note that she will miss out some of Psychic's important usages in some cases. note that there will be cases where Psychic's reliable STAB will be missed. For example, a Clefable with around 30% HP can die from Gardevoir's Focus Blast, but in this case Psychic would be the better option due to its 100% accuracy as opposed to Focus Blast's 70%. but the attack misses due to its 70% accuracy. In such a case, Psychic's 100% accuracy would have been the better attack. Against Pokemon who take neutral damage from both Shadow Ball and Focus Blast, such as Arcanine and Lanturn, Psychic does more damage.</p>

<p>Although better suited for defensive sets, Will-O-Wisp on the fourth slot can help Gardevoir cripple physical threats, which enables Gardevoir to set up more Calm Minds. This gives Gardevoir two roles in one: as a supporter and as a sweeper.</p>

<p>Maxing Gardevoir's Speed stat gives 284 Speed, Speed-tying with Pokemon such as Venusaur, Kabutops, and Blaziken. All three of these Pokemon can be slaughtered by Psychic (or Thunderbolt if present in Kabutops's case). As for the item, Life Orb allows Gardevoir to dish out more damage at the cost of being more fragile. However, if that's not flavorful favorable, Leftovers can be used to give Gardevoir more survivability.</p>

<p>Because Gardevoir has only base 80 Speed and base 65 Defense, faster physical attackers such as Dugtrio, Drapion, and Scyther can switch in on a Calm Mind and threaten with their most damaging move or Pursuit (or plainly trap Gardevoir in Dugtrio's case). Scouting for these Pokemon beforehand and burning or paralyzing them with Pokemon such as Rotom, Registeel, and Clefable would help Gardevoir destroy these Pokemon when they switch back in.</p>

<p>Encore users and dedicated special walls, such as Clefable, Chansey, and Spiritomb, also pose problems for this set without Taunt as they can lock Gardevoir into one move, which Calm Mind Gardevoir does not like to do, or just plainly wall and wear down Gardevoir. Physically-minded Pokemon such as Guts Hariyama, Aggron, and Arcanine can help Gardevoir out. Guts Hariyama can pummel the two Normal-types while absorbing status from all three. Stone Edge or Payback from Hariyama will also eventually destroy Spiritomb without that lack Rest. Aggron must watch out for status from the three Pokemon, but if he can get in on an attack, he will deal devastating damage against them with his Head Smash. Non-RestTalk Arcanine plays much more conservatively with Morning Sun and Flash Fire, but watch out for incoming Thunder Wave when using him. Arcanine with Intimidate also helps out against physical Spiritomb.</p>

[SET]
name: Dual Screen
move 1: Reflect
move 2: Light Screen
move 3: Memento
move 4: Taunt / Will-O-Wisp / Psychic
item: Light Clay
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>The goal of this set is to reliably set up dual screens and then use Memento, giving a sweeper an essential free switch-in. By doing so, Gardevoir pays the price of death but in her steed, she ensures that your incoming sweeper has a higher chance of sweeping the opponent's team.</p>

<p>With the help of Light Clay increasing the duration of dual screens, Reflect and Light Screen can be handy against become very potent for handling packs of vicious attackers. Reflect should be used first to patch up Gardevoir's weaker Defense stat, followed by Light Screen as a matter of course with Light Screen tagging along afterward. Once both screens have been set up, Memento will do the trick, fainting Gardevoir while weakening the opponent down on both offensive sides Memento should be used to faint Gardevoir while crippling both of the opponent's offensive stats.. This allows a sweeper to switch in without fear of being damaged greatly while also forcing the opponent to switch out. To help Gardevoir set up the screens and support the sweepers, Taunt can be used to safeguard against annoying status moves, especially sleep, and support moves, such as Stealth Rock, Wish, and Toxic Spikes. Will-O-Wisp is a great alternative to cripple physical attackers; together when combined with with Reflect, physical attackers will no longer be a problem. Lastly, Psychic allows Gardevoir to avoid being set-up bait when Taunted.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Healing Wish can be used over Memento if the protection from provided by dual screens is generally enough. This allows a sweeper from early-game to be usable again in late-game. However, if Gardevoir did not take the attack beforehand, make sure that when switching in the sweeper won't be KOed by the incoming attack while switching in.</p>

<p>This particular Gardevoir specifically wants dedicated set-up sweepers who can make use of the dual screens and Memento. Sweepers who are resistant or take little damage from Gardevoir's weaknesses should be considered, such as examples include Swords Dance Drapion, Rock Polish Aggron, Dragon Dance Altaria, and Swords Dance or Agility Blaziken.</p>

<p>Fast Taunt and Encore users can be annoying to Dual Screen this Gardevoir as they can stop Gardevoir from doing her job or lock her onto one a useless move. Ambipom, Mismagius, and Alakazam are able to do this, but note their fragility at the same time are very fragile as well. Choice Band Spiritomb can easily switch into any of these Pokemon and remove them with Pursuit. Toxic Orb Swellow, on the Taunt or Encore, can outspeed and OHKO all three of these Pokemon with Brave Bird or Facade, but he needs to be wary of sure he is not switching into an attack.</p>

[Team Options]

<p>On the support side, if Gardevoir does not carry Will-O-Wisp or did not burn a target Pokemon, Will-O-Wisp and Thunder Wave users such as Arcanine, Rotom, and Chansey can greatly help Gardevoir out on in the long run. Stealth Rock, Spikes, and/or Toxic Spikes can help Calm Mind Gardevoir strike down weakened Chansey and Registeel. Chansey will especially suffer from two layers of Toxic Spikes and Taunt Gardevoir.</p>

<p>For offensive partners, any Pokemon who benefits from burnt Pokemon and Wish support are welcome on Gardevoir's team. Aggron can switch into Bug-, Ghost-, and Dark-type attacks aimed at Gardevoir and smack their respective users with Head Smash. Set-up users who are somewhat physically weak, such as Mismagius, Houndoom, and Scyther, appreciate both Gardevoir's Will-O-Wisp and Wish so they can continually use their respective set-up moves can safely switch in and set up.. Ground-type Pokemon such as Dugtrio, Donphan, and Rhyperior are all viable offensive partners as well due to their ability to switch into Registeel, Clefable, and Chansey; they can then proceed to trap and kill, set up Stealth Rock, or and set up with Rock Polish respectively.</p>

<p>Dark- and Steel-types who are either bulky or have high Speed annoy Gardevoir constantly. If Gardevoir can burn these Pokemon when they switch in, it will be easier for her to switch to a counter. Unfortunately, Houndoom is a vicious pest to Gardevoir, with his higher base Speed, access to Pursuit, and immunity to both Psychic and Will-O-Wisp. To aid Gardevoir, defensive Pokemon such as Hariyama and Registeel can help. Hariyama can switch into a the majority of Dark- and Steel-types, such as the aforementioned Houndoom (not Spiritomb, however), and slay them with a Fighting attack. Houndoom's Nasty Plotted Hidden Power Flying will not OHKO Careful Hariyama, so Houndoom is forced to either dent the sumo hard and get defeated or switch out. Against Spiritomb, defensive Fire-type Pokemon such as Moltres and Arcanine take little damage from his attacks and can pummel the ghost with STAB Fire attacks. Lastly, Registeel works well as a defensive partner because it resists Dark-, Bug-, and Ghost-type attacks. Registeel can then set up Stealth Rock and use Thunder Wave to support Gardevoir.</p>

<p>Gardevoir's base 65 Defense is one of her most vulnerable areas that must be covered. Threats such as Absol, Scyther, and even strong physical users including Nidoking and Leafeon, with a STAB or super effective attack can be annoying can pose a danger with their STAB or a super effective attack if not burnt on the switch. Defensive Rotom can take on three out of four of these Pokemon (Absol being the one out) all of these Pokemon bar Absol, burning them with Will-O-Wisp or attacking them respectively with Shadow Ball or Thunderbolt. Absol is trickier to counter due to his deadly Attack and critical hits. Hitmontop can be considered used for his ability to strike down Absol with his Intimidate ability, resistance to Dark-type attacks, and Mach Punch. Weezing is also a great wall to consider as he has the typing, stat distribution, and access to Will-O-Wisp and Pain Split to annoy the four threats constantly.</p>

[Optional Changes]

<p>Gardevoir has an incredible movepool, making gimmicky and unusual sets possible. Signal Beam is a great move for offensive sets, striking Dark- and Psychic-type Pokemon for super effective damage. Trick Room can support Pokemon with low Speed; a Quiet nature and 0 Speed IVs coupled with her average base 80 Speed make Gardevoir quite a comfortable Trick Room user. Thunder Wave, Toxic, and Hypnosis are usable to inflict even more status upon Gardevoir's enemies. Encore is mentioned throughout the analysis because it's a wonderful move in general, but Gardevoir is strapped for moveslots; it is also illegal with Will-O-Wisp. Torment is an interesting move but Gardevoir can't use it well because she lacks resistances because of the lack of resistances Gardevoir has, she is not a great user of the move. Grass Knot or Energy Ball is available if Water-, Ground-, and Rock-type Pokemon are disruptive troubling you. As a last resort, Destiny Bond can take a troublesome enemy down, but Gardevoir's base 80 Speed makes the idea mildly lackluster. Confuse Ray with Thunder Wave can be annoying to your enemy. Substitute and Pain Split can be utilized together, but Rotom generally does this better with lower HP, higher Speed, and three immunities.</p>

<p>A "stallbreaker" set with Taunt / Will-O-Wisp / Pain Split / Encore and 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe as well as a Timid nature can be used. Some of the usual counters to Gardevoir such as Spiritomb and Chansey will regret approaching Gardevoir as they can't do much against this set to her. As this set does not have an attacking move, it can be easily countered by throwing in a Fire-type Pokemon in your team. But because this set does not have an attacking move, it can be easily countered by any opposing Fire-type Pokemon.</p>

[Counters]

<p>Any Pokemon who generally strikes hard on the physical side will usually bring down Gardevoir; however, these Pokemon should beware of Will-O-Wisp. Houndoom, although weak to Focus Blast, makes a great counter to any Gardevoir set due to his Flash Fire ability, which absorbs Will-O-Wisp for enhanced Fire-type damage, and Pursuit, which will destroy Gardevoir if she switches. Other Dark-type Pursuit users, such as Drapion, Absol, Skuntank, and Spiritomb, will usually end Gardevoir's life immediately if they avoid switching into Will-O-Wisp (or Focus Blast, in Absol's case).</p>

<p>On the defensive side, Chansey, and to a lesser extent Clefable, both wall Gardevoir comfortably, although Clefable is vulnerable to Focus Blast at times. Clefable can come in and Encore any support move that Gardevoir uses. If Gardevoir Tricks Clefable, a Toxic Orb will usually end up in her hands, hindering herself Gardevoir will only end up hindering herself if she tries Tricking Clefable, as the Choice item will usually be swapped for a Toxic Orb in the exchange.. Chansey can come in on any move except Trick and wall Gardevoir with her massive HP and Special Defense while draining Gardevoir’s HP with Seismic Toss; however, Chansey should watch out for Pain Split stealing her massive HP. Clefable also doesn't mind Will-O-Wisp due to Magic Guard while Chansey has Natural Cure to heal the burn off on the switch. Both must watch out for Taunt though, which can turn both into set-up bait for Gardevoir.</p>

<p>In addition to the specially-defensive Normal-types, Steel-types who can survive a Focus Blast will be a nuisance to Gardevoir. Registeel can switch into a Psychic or Shadow Ball and cripple Gardevoir with Thunder Wave and strike her down with repeated Iron Heads, although it must be wary of Will-O-Wisp. Having a user of Aromatherapy or Heal Bell, such as Chansey, Uxie, or Umbreon, is a great way to heal your precious check from Gardevoir's status moves.</p>

Overall a great job, just trimmed some wordy parts and modified some weird prose here and there.

Flora

Yep, that tasted purple!
Finally! Thanks a lot Fate despite being late! =D

Some parts I'm leaving off:

1.) I've read somewhere around C&C (sorry for not being specific) that we shouldn't use "spectrum" because there actually isn't a spectrum. I know it's a saying of "both sides of the spectrum" but I'm a little iffy on it. It doesn't matter too much though as I can reword it/use a synonym.

2.) lol pain stall (just made it pain split).

The rest is fair game though. =) I seem to be wordy but I can't seem to make myself trim it down.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
GP Check 2/2 on request. Not many changes here.

REMOVE
ADD
COMMENT

[Overview]

<p>At first sight, Alakazam and Uxie both seem to both outclass Gardevoir, but she can distinguish herself by being offensive and defensive at the same time. Gardevoir's support movepool includes , including Will-O-Wisp, Wish, Taunt, and Encore, and allows her to disrupt the enemy's team while aiding her own side. Offensively, Gardevoir has base 125 Special Attack, along with Psychic, Shadow Ball, Focus Blast, and Thunderbolt to deal massive damage to incoming foes. She also comes with the rare Trace ability, allowing her to copy an opponent's ability and turn the tables on them.</p>

<p>Gardevoir has a few problems to address, however. Due to Gardevoir being a balance of offense and defense, if you're looking for a Pokemon who specializes towards one specific role, Alakazam or Uxie may be more suitable. As with Alakazam, Gardevoir has low Defense and HP stats, meaning that she is vulnerable to Pursuit-wielding physical attackers. Gardevoir's 80 base Speed is also rather average, allowing many other Pokemon to outspeed her. Nevertheless, Gardevoir's Trace ability, great movepool, and spectacular special stats all do her a great favor (I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to say here. We know that they help Gardevoir, you've already said that - you should explicitly state that these are the advantages that make her usable or leave this bit out).</p>

[SET]
name: Support
move 1: Will-O-Wisp
move 2: Psychic
move 3: Wish / Pain Split
move 4: Protect / Heal Bell
item: Leftovers
nature: Calm
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set aims to support the team by burning and cutting the opponent's Attack stat in half while providing overall healing with the help of Gardevoir's immerse immense special bulk.</p>

<p>Will-O-Wisp allows Gardevoir to cripple enemy physical attackers, such as Absol, Drapion, and Spiritomb, with a damaging burn. To restore Gardevoir's health, she can use Wish and Protect; the combination essentially gives Gardevoir a 50% recovery move. Protect also helps Gardevoir stall while the opponent is continuously hurt by burn. If a cleric is needed, Gardevoir can do that with perform that role as well thanks to Heal Bell, but note that Wish will become much more difficult to use since you no longer have room for Protect (clarification). Therefore, when using Heal Bell, choosing Pain Split as the health recovery move is recommended. Last but not least, Psychic is Gardevoir's STAB option to deal damage.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>If Pain Split is being used, note that it can perform either better or worse than Wish and Protect depending on the circumstances. Against Clefable, Wish and Protect would be the superior option (note that Pain Split can still heal from Clefable even though she won't take any damage from it). However, if Pain Split is used on Chansey, expect a massive amount of health stolen due to her base 250 HP. In other cases, the opponent could switch in a low HP Pokemon on a Pain Split, essentially making Gardevoir waste a turn hurting herself.</p>

<p>Although not mentioned, Thunderbolt can be used on in the fourth slot if Protect or Heal Bell aren't necessary. Thunderbolt allows Gardevoir to attack Pokemon who take little or no damage from Psychic, such as Drapion, Houndoom, and Mesprit. Gardevoir can also utilize Taunt, which can stop slower walls from using support moves. Last but not least (you've already used that phrase once in the analysis, maybe try to think of something else?), Hypnosis and Thunder Wave are usable for double status. Hypnosis can effectively remove a Pokemon from play. Thunder Wave can slow down deadly Pokemon such as Arcanine and Houndoom, allowing your teammates to outrun and KO them.</p>

<p>The EVs allow Gardevoir to be as specially bulky as possible. 252 HP and 252 Special Defense EVs allow Gardevoir to survive dangerous attacks such as Life Orb Dark Pulse from +2 Modest Toxicroak, Choice Specs Shadow Ball from Timid Rotom, and Life Orb Surf in the rain from Omastar. Gardevoir can also use a more physically bulky spread with 252 HP / 124 Def / 132 SpD. With this spread, Gardevoir takes 42.4% - 50% from Jolly Life Orb Hitmonlee's Close Combat. In return, Gardevoir has a high chance to OHKO Hitmonlee with Psychic despite no Special Attack investment. (Before or after CC's defence drops?)</p>

<p>Gardevoir will usually run into trouble against Flash Fire Pokemon—namely Houndoom and Arcanine—who can absorb her Will-O-Wisp. Teammates who can deal with these Pokemon are extremely beneficial to Gardevoir. Against these Fire-types, Water-type Pokemon such as Blastoise and Milotic can switch in and destroy them these Fire-types with Surf. Pokemon with Calm Mind and Taunt or Substitute, such as Mismagius and Alakazam, are equally threatening. Encore can be used over Heal Bell to remedy this weakness if the foe isn't using Taunt, but note that Will-O-Wisp is illegal with Encore, so Thunder Wave or Hypnosis will have to replace Will-O-Wisp. Alternatively, Registeel deals with Mismagius, Alakazam, and even certain physical priority users such as Ambipom and Scyther, but be wary that Registeel may take a good chunk of damage in return, especially if you mispredict and switch into the wrong attack.</p>

<p>Strong physical attackers who outspeed Gardevoir and have not been burned by Will-O-Wisp will be a problem, especially Pursuit users. Venusaur, Scyther, and Absol all fall in this problematic category. Therefore, a strong physical tank or wall, such as Registeel, Rotom, or Weezing, will make a good partner for Gardevoir. Registeel can Thunder Wave these threats, while the other two can burn them if Gardevoir fails to do so on the switch.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice
move 1: Psychic
move 2: Thunderbolt
move 3: Focus Blast
move 4: Trick / Shadow Ball
item: Choice Specs / Choice Scarf
nature: Timid / Modest

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With a Choice item, Gardevoir becomes either an efficient revenge killer or an extreme damage dealer. A great offensive movepool, access to Trick, and acceptably distributed base stats allow Gardevoir to become a dangerous threat.</p>

<p>Psychic, combined with Thunderbolt, gives Gardevoir the ability to hit every Pokemon in UU for neutral damage, except for Steelix, Magneton, Shedinja, and Exeggutor. Steel-types including Steelix, Magneton, and Registeel are hammered by Focus Blast. To top the set off, Trick allows Gardevoir to cripple an incoming wall, such as Chansey, Clefable, and or Registeel, with an unwanted item. To deal with Psychic- and Ghost-types, such as the aforementioned Shedinja and Exeggutor, Shadow Ball is a great alternative move over Trick.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs listed apply only if Gardevoir is using a Timid nature. 252 Speed EVs allow Gardevoir to reach 426 Speed with a Choice Scarf, outrunning everything up to and including Electrode and Modest Choice Scarf Rotom. If Modest is the chosen nature, 16 Def / 252 SpA / 240 Spe should be used. 240 Speed EVs reach 384 Speed, outrunning max Speed positive nature base 125 Pokemon, namely Swellow. As for the item, Choice Scarf is the main option as it gives Gardevoir's base 80 Speed a grand boost, allowing her to outrun and deal good damage to most threats. On the other hand, Choice Specs does nothing for Gardevoir's Speed, but it does provide an incredible power boost behind every attack; for instance, Gardevoir has a chance to 2HKO standard Registeel and OHKO 252 / 252 Calm Clefable with Focus Blast.</p>

<p>Choice Gardevoir has a rough time with Pursuit users, especially those who resist or are immune to Psychic. Drapion, Absol, and Spiritomb are all massive threats for this reason. Unfortunately, there is not much that can be done, especially if Gardevoir finishes off a Pokemon and a Pursuit user switches in for the revenge kill. Caution is therefore required if you want to have Gardevoir stick around to KO important Pokemon. Double switching Gardevoir out to a Pokemon who can take on the aformentioned aforementioned Dark-types, such as Donphan and Venusaur, may seem like a lousy waste of a turn, but this effectively scouts what Pursuit user the foe may have.</p>

<p>Even with Trick, Gardevoir will still have problems with special walls, primarily Chansey. Dugtrio will solve any Chansey problems with his Arena Trap ability and Earthquake unless Chansey holds Shed Shell. If Dugtrio isn't suitable, Pursuit users on Gardevoir’s side will work as well. Drapion, Absol, and Spiritomb, despite being vulnerable to status from Chansey, are some STAB Pursuit users who can trap and kill her. Defensive Fighting-types such as Hitmontop and Hariyama will also help out against Chansey, although rare is the scenario where an opponent will leave Chansey in against these Fighting-types. Hitmontop also comes with a Technician-boosted Pursuit.</p>

[SET]
name: Calm Mind
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Focus Blast
move 3: Shadow Ball / Thunderbolt
move 4: Psychic / Taunt
item: Leftovers / Life Orb

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Gardevoir with Calm Mind can sweep whole teams given the right scenario. With the moves to provide neutral coverage as well as stopping walls or tanks from being annoying, Gardevoir can prove to be a stable Calm Mind sweeper.</p>

<p>Calm Mind is the purpose of this set, allowing Gardevoir to increase her special stats to astounding levels. Focus Blast and Shadow Ball together hit every Pokemon for neutral damage, especially and crucially both can hit Pokemon who whom Gardevoir cannot harm with her STAB Psychic for super effective damage, such as Registeel, Uxie, and Absol. Thunderbolt is a great alternative move over Shadow Ball to provide more damage against a different group of Pokemon, such as Milotic, Moltres, and Drifblim. Psychic is Gardevoir's best STAB attack to use, but its coverage may be redundant. As such, Taunt is a great replacement over Psychic to prevent status from incoming walls while also stopping them from restoring their health.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>If Gardevoir has Taunt in place of Psychic, note that there will be cases where Psychic's reliable STAB will be missed. For example, a Clefable with around 30% HP can die from Gardevoir's Focus Blast, but in this case Psychic would be the better option due to its 100% accuracy as opposed to Focus Blast's 70%. Against Pokemon who take neutral damage from both Shadow Ball and Focus Blast, such as Arcanine and Lanturn, Psychic does more damage.</p>

<p>Although better suited for defensive sets, Will-O-Wisp on in the fourth slot can help Gardevoir cripple physical threats, which enables Gardevoir to set up more Calm Minds. This gives Gardevoir two roles in one: a supporter and a sweeper.</p>

<p>Maxing Gardevoir's Speed stat gives 284 Speed, Speed-tying with Pokemon such as Venusaur, Kabutops, and Blaziken. All three of these Pokemon can be slaughtered by Psychic (or Thunderbolt if present in Kabutops's case). As for the item, Life Orb allows Gardevoir to dish out more damage at the cost of being more fragile. However, if that's not favorful favorable, Leftovers can be used to give Gardevoir more survivability.</p>

<p>Because Gardevoir has only base 80 Speed and base 65 Defense, faster physical attackers such as Dugtrio, Drapion, and Scyther can switch in on a Calm Mind and threaten with their most damaging move or Pursuit (or plainly trap Gardevoir in Dugtrio's case). Scouting for these Pokemon beforehand and burning or paralyzing them with Pokemon such as Rotom, Registeel, and Clefable would help Gardevoir destroy these Pokemon when they switch back in.</p>

<p>Encore users and dedicated special walls, such as Clefable, Chansey, and Spiritomb, also pose problems for this set without if it lacks Taunt,(comma) as they can lock Gardevoir into one move, which Calm Mind Gardevoir does not like, or just plainly wall and wear down Gardevoir. Physically-minded Pokemon such as Guts Hariyama, Aggron, and Arcanine can help Gardevoir out against these threats. Guts Hariyama can pummel the two Normal-types while absorbing status from all three. Stone Edge or Payback from Hariyama will also eventually destroy Spiritomb who lack Rest. Aggron must watch out for status from the three Pokemon, but if he can get in on an attack, he will deal devastating damage against them with his Head Smash. Non-RestTalk Arcanine plays much more conservatively with Morning Sun and Flash Fire, but watch out for incoming Thunder Wave when using him. Arcanine with Intimidate also helps out against physical Spiritomb.</p>​

[SET]
name: Dual Screen
move 1: Reflect
move 2: Light Screen
move 3: Memento
move 4: Taunt / Will-O-Wisp / Psychic
item: Light Clay
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>The goal of this set is to reliably set up dual screens and then use Memento, giving a sweeper an essential free switch-in. By doing so, Gardevoir pays the price of death but in her steed (what are you trying to say here, I have literally no idea. Maybe change to "with her sacrifice" ?), she ensures that your incoming sweeper has a higher chance of sweeping the opponent's team.</p>

<p>With the help of Light Clay increasing the duration of dual screens, Reflect and Light Screen become very potent for handling packs of vicious attackers. Reflect should be used first to patch up Gardevoir's weaker Defense stat stat, followed by Light Screen as a matter of course. Once both screens have been set up, Memento should be used to faint Gardevoir while crippling both of the opponent's offensive stats. This allows a sweeper to switch in without fear of being damaged greatly while also forcing the opponent to switch out. To help Gardevoir set up the screens and support the sweepers, Taunt can be used to safeguard against annoying status moves, especially sleep, and support moves, such as Stealth Rock, Wish, and Toxic Spikes. Will-O-Wisp is a great alternative to cripple physical attackers; when combined with with Reflect, physical attackers will no longer be a problem. Lastly, Psychic allows Gardevoir to avoid being set-up bait when Taunted.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Healing Wish can be used over Memento if the protection provided by dual screens is generally enough. This allows a sweeper from early-game to be usable again in late-game. However, if Gardevoir did not take the attack beforehand, make sure that when switching in the sweeper won't be KOed by the incoming attack while switching in.</p>

<p>This particular Gardevoir specifically wants dedicated set-up sweepers who can make use of the dual screens and Memento. Sweepers who are resistant or take little damage from Gardevoir's weaknesses should be considered; examples include Swords Dance Drapion, Rock Polish Aggron, Dragon Dance Altaria, and Swords Dance or Agility Blaziken.</p>

<p>Fast Taunt and Encore users can be annoying to this Gardevoir as they can stop Gardevoir her from doing her job or lock her onto one into a useless move. Ambipom, Mismagius, and Alakazam are able to do this, but at the same time are very fragile as well. Choice Band Spiritomb can easily switch into any of these Pokemon and remove them with Pursuit. Toxic Orb Swellow, on the Taunt or Encore, can outspeed and OHKO all three of these Pokemon with Brave Bird or Facade, but needs to be sure he is not switching into an attack (mention Pursuit Swellow?).</p>

[Team Options]

<p>On the support side, if Gardevoir does not carry Will-O-Wisp or did not burn a target Pokemon, Will-O-Wisp and Thunder Wave users such as Arcanine, Rotom, and Chansey can greatly help Gardevoir out in the long run. Stealth Rock, Spikes, and/or Toxic Spikes can weaken Chansey and Registeel, and thus help Calm Mind Gardevoir strike them down weakened Chansey and Registeel. Chansey will especially suffer from two layers of Toxic Spikes if Gardevoir carries Taunt and Taunt Gardevoir.</p>

<p>For offensive partners, any Pokemon who benefits from burnt Pokemon and Wish support are welcome on Gardevoir's team. Aggron can switch into Bug-, Ghost-, and Dark-type attacks aimed at Gardevoir and smack their respective users with Head Smash. Set-up users who are somewhat physically weak, such as Mismagius, Houndoom, and Scyther, appreciate both Gardevoir's Will-O-Wisp and Wish so they can safely switch in and set up. Ground-type Pokemon such as Dugtrio, Donphan, and Rhyperior are all viable offensive partners as well due to their ability to switch into Registeel, Clefable, and Chansey; they can then proceed to trap and kill, set up Stealth Rock, and set up with Rock Polish respectively.</p>

<p>Dark- and Steel-types who are either bulky or have high Speed annoy Gardevoir constantly. If Gardevoir can burn these Pokemon when they switch in, it will be easier for her to switch to a counter. Unfortunately, Houndoom is a vicious pest to Gardevoir, with his higher base Speed, access to Pursuit, and immunity to both Psychic and Will-O-Wisp. To aid Gardevoir, defensive Pokemon such as Hariyama and Registeel can help. Hariyama can switch into the majority of Dark- and Steel-types, such as the aforementioned Houndoom (not Spiritomb, however), and slay them with a Fighting attack. Houndoom's Nasty Plotted Hidden Power Flying will not OHKO Careful Hariyama, so Houndoom is forced to either dent the sumo hard and get defeated or switch out. Against Spiritomb, defensive Fire-type Pokemon such as Moltres and Arcanine take little damage from his attacks and can pummel the ghost with STAB Fire-type attacks. Lastly, Registeel works well as a defensive partner because it resists Dark-, Bug-, and Ghost-type attacks. Registeel can then set up Stealth Rock and use Thunder Wave to support Gardevoir.</p>

<p>Gardevoir's base 65 Defense is one of her most vulnerable areas that must be covered. Threats such as Absol, Scyther, and even strong physical users Pokemon including Nidoking and Leafeon, can pose a danger with their STAB or a super effective attack, and can be annoying if not burnt on the switch. Defensive Rotom can take on all of these Pokemon bar Absol, burning them with Will-O-Wisp or attacking them with Shadow Ball or Thunderbolt. Absol is trickier to counter due to his deadly Attack stat and critical hits Super Luck ability. Hitmontop can be used for his ability to strike down Absol with his Intimidate ability, resistance to Dark-type attacks, and Mach Punch. Weezing is also a great wall to consider as he has the typing, stat distribution, and access to Will-O-Wisp and Pain Split to annoy the four threats constantly.</p>

[Optional Changes]

<p>Gardevoir has an incredible movepool, making gimmicky and unusual sets possible. Signal Beam is a great move for offensive sets, striking Dark- and Psychic-type Pokemon for super effective damage. Trick Room can support Pokemon with low Speed; a Quiet nature and 0 Speed IVs coupled with her average base 80 Speed make Gardevoir quite a comfortable Trick Room user. Thunder Wave, Toxic, and Hypnosis are usable to inflict even more status upon Gardevoir's enemies. Encore is mentioned throughout the analysis because it's a wonderful move in general, but Gardevoir is strapped for moveslots; it is also illegal with Will-O-Wisp. Torment is an interesting move but Gardevoir can't use it well because she lacks resistances. Grass Knot or and Energy Ball is are available if Water-, Ground-, and Rock-type Pokemon are troubling you. As a last resort, Destiny Bond can take a troublesome enemy down, but Gardevoir's base 80 Speed makes the idea mildly lackluster. Confuse Ray with Thunder Wave can be annoying to your enemy. Substitute and Pain Split can be utilized together, but Rotom generally does this better with lower HP, higher Speed, and three immunities.</p>

<p>A "stallbreaker" set with Taunt / Will-O-Wisp / Pain Split / Encore and 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe as well as a Timid nature can be used. Some of the usual counters to Gardevoir such as Spiritomb and Chansey will regret approaching Gardevoir as they can't do much against this set. But because this set does not have an attacking move, it can be easily countered by any opposing Fire-type Pokemon.</p>

[Counters]

<p>Any Pokemon who generally strikes hard on the physical side will usually bring down Gardevoir; however, these Pokemon should beware of Will-O-Wisp. Houndoom, although weak to Focus Blast, makes a great counter to any Gardevoir set due to his Flash Fire ability, which absorbs Will-O-Wisp for enhanced Fire-type damage, and Pursuit, which will destroy Gardevoir if she switches. Other Dark-type Pursuit users, such as Drapion, Absol, Skuntank, and Spiritomb, will usually end Gardevoir's life immediately if they avoid switching into Will-O-Wisp (or Focus Blast, in Absol's case).</p>

<p>On the defensive side, Chansey, and to a lesser extent Clefable, both wall Gardevoir comfortably, although Clefable is vulnerable to Focus Blast at times. Clefable can come in and Encore any support move that Gardevoir uses. Gardevoir will only end up hindering herself if she tries Tricking Clefable, as the Choice item will usually be swapped for a Toxic Orb in the exchange. Chansey can come in on any move except Trick and wall Gardevoir with her massive HP and Special Defense while draining Gardevoir’s HP with Seismic Toss; however, Chansey should watch out for Pain Split stealing her massive HP. Clefable also doesn't mind Will-O-Wisp due to Magic Guard while Chansey has Natural Cure to heal the burn off on the switch. Both must watch out for Taunt though, which can turn both into set-up bait for Gardevoir.</p>

<p>In addition to the specially defensive Normal-types, Steel-types who can survive a Focus Blast will be a nuisance to Gardevoir. Registeel can switch into a Psychic or Shadow Ball,(comma) and cripple Gardevoir with Thunder Wave,(comma) and strike her down with repeated Iron Heads, although it must be wary of Will-O-Wisp. Having a user of Aromatherapy or Heal Bell, such as Chansey, Uxie, or Umbreon, is a great way to heal your precious check from Gardevoir's status moves.</p>

Flora

Yep, that tasted purple!
Edited in bmb's proofread. Thanks!

This is done now, but I'm going to let it sit for a day or two just in case.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)