Issue #11 Released!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course they're cute! We've been tiering them, and Spheal and Poliwag were up pretty high. We just couldn't cover every single cutemon. I happen to be a huge fan of both, esp. Spheal for the reasons Chou stated. <3

ETA: And you know I love Manaphy, toaster!

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It's also got the "fluffiness" thing down pat

"It is completely covered with plushy fur. As a result, it never feels the cold even when it is rolling about on ice floes or diving in the sea."

"Its body is covered in fluffy fur. The fur keeps it from feeling cold while it is rolling on ice."

"It crosses the oceans by rolling itself on drifting ice. Fluffy fur keeps it warm when the temperature is below freezing."

I loved that super long warstory. It had everything, including analysis so deep I'd never have thought of it ... only thing that kept it down (just a little) was that I soon lost track of the score and which Pokemon was still alive - I had to read and reread the previous turns.

Otherwise I found the Moderator article funny, the DPPt history interesting, the cute Pokemon article boring (no offense, but I don't really care how a Pokemon looks like, and even if I did the first adjective wouldn't be "cute") and surprisingly little coverage this issue on the metagame I play, UU. NU and LC is even more neglected this issue, which is sad :( Also with several major tournaments come and gone I would've expected to see more of those too ...

Still, I spent several hours reading the issue! Keep up the good work.

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
A big thank you to everyone who worked on this issue. College life has kept me away from working on The Smog (which I hope to rectify), and I'm very happy that all the workers were able to put out such a great issue largely by themselves.

Bring on Black and White!

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I loved the issue, especially the OU entry hazards analysis. It really got me thinking about how they could be used, especially since I've never played with them much. Great job everyone.

Great issue guys! I felt like a good friend had died the whole time with the way DPPt was referenced and all the "we will miss you, DPPt" stuff. I too will miss this metagame especially since I don't know any other. I'm looking forward to Gen 5 and seeing how things all shake up when 150 new pokemon get added to the mix.

Anyway, again, an excellent issue. I always stop whatever I'm doing to read the Smog when it comes out. Its that good.

The Smog enthralled me so much I nearly forgot to do my accounting homework. Really liked this issue, especially the article about false claiming in mafia. That article has armed me with a lot of knowledge I didn't have before, lol.

Nitpick

Awesome Issue, Jumpluff. I hadn't had that much fun reading it since the first issues :)

The purpose of my post is to destroy firecape's argument about CM Arceus in his article "Arceus Unleashed".

I'm no stranger to the Pokemon Online Uber Tier (I've been playing cassualy under the Alt [Ubers] Depthcharge, always with a score higher than 1250 :P)

First, he states that Arceus can only be played Capped at PO (that's right) and I would like to say some things to him ._.

First, CM (or any other Arceus set for that purpose) is Almost NOT used. The King of Ubers PO is Normal Extreme Killer Arceus. With that attack, and that bulk, it kills the entire game after a single SD.

Skarmory is a pokemon that's not used very much, since Forretress serves better for the Hazardous purpose (and none of the two will be left when Arceus comes out). The excellency counter for EKA is Giratina-o, but only if the god doesn't have Shadow Claw.

The set run everytime I see Arceus:

Arceus @Leftovers/Silk Scarf
Adamant
[Multitype]
EV's: 100 HP, 100 ATK, 100 DEF, 100 SPDEF, 100 SPEED

EXTREME SPEED!!!!!!
SWORDS DANCE!!!!!!
Filler (Commonly EQ or Shadow Claw)
Filler (Commonly Recover or Refresh or other, but very rarely Overheat)

It can survive a Latios with a CM on (Also Soul Dew) and SD. Next Turn it will slaughter its low defenses with EE. In fact, after an SD, it will slaughter the game. Giratina is very commonly OHKOd by +2 Shadow Claw (if very bulky, 2HKOd).

=====================================
The point is, I think the author of the article should have at least a month of experience to be able to have an opinion.

I wanted to say that because I got annoyed by the article, having played Ubers on PO for at least 4 months. Please, next time, make sure that what's written is the real thing.

locopoke

Banned deucer.
I've told pluff this already but (through no fault of her own) I'm super disappointed there's no article on the world cup or even tournaments in general, when other stuff that's not nearly as important to smogon has been made into articles. As always I appreciate the enormous effort put into the magazine by all the contributors (I'm currently working 4 jobs + uni so I would never be able to replicate what they do) but I think I speak for a few people I've talked to when I say I'm disappointed at the apparent avoidal of tournaments in general...

Edit: on a positive note, I love the moderator article haha.
I definitely agree with this post. There has been a lot of action in the tournament forum lately, yet there was nothing regarding it. Smogon claims to be a competitive site, so tournaments should be our #1 priority (not cute pokemon ?).

firecape

This is the end...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The purpose of my post is to destroy firecape's argument about CM Arceus in his article "Arceus Unleashed".

I'm no stranger to the Pokemon Online Uber Tier (I've been playing cassualy under the Alt [Ubers] Depthcharge, always with a score higher than 1250 :P)

First, he states that Arceus can only be played Capped at PO (that's right) and I would like to say some things to him ._.

First, CM (or any other Arceus set for that purpose) is Almost NOT used. The King of Ubers PO is Normal Extreme Killer Arceus. With that attack, and that bulk, it kills the entire game after a single SD.
Ok, would you like to know why CM Arceus isn't used on PO? Because PO is full of noobs (for the most part, don't get me wrong, some experienced players do play it) so of course you don't see Arceus being used to its potential. You have done nothing to prove the sets I talked about are invalid, you simply state it is so on the basis of "they aren't used". Please actually try the sets before calling me out. Thanks.

Skarmory is a pokemon that's not used very much, since Forretress serves better for the Hazardous purpose (and none of the two will be left when Arceus comes out).
Ok, if you actually read what I said about Skarmory, you would know why what you say is entirely false. Skarmory walls nearly every physical Arceus set without Overheat, which is rare because then Arceus gives up some of its coverage. Skarmory also has Roost, which is huge.

The excellency counter for EKA is Giratina-o, but only if the god doesn't have Shadow Claw.
I don't really know what you are attempting to say here, but I'll assume it's that Giratina-O is the best counter to Extreme Killer, but then you say it doesn't work if Arceus has Shadow Claw....what?

Adamant
[Multitype]

EXTREME SPEED!!!!!!
SWORDS DANCE!!!!!!

It can survive a Latios with a CM on (Also Soul Dew) and SD. Next Turn it will slaughter its low defenses with EE. In fact, after an SD, it will slaughter the game. Giratina is very commonly OHKOd by +2 Shadow Claw (if very bulky, 2HKOd).
I have never said Extreme Killer isn't good, there are simply other viable options, which you deny without any attempt to invalidate them. You then list an irrelevant example (Latios? just a random Pokemon out of no where...). If you actually cared to do some calcs you would see that Giratina takes 35.8% - 42.1% from +2 Shadow Claw with the "great wall" set, which is almost the only set used with Giratina. Even then, Giratina is a poor example; let's face it it isn't that common anymore.

The point is, I think the author of the article should have at least a month of experience to be able to have an opinion.
You obviously know when I play and how long I have played. Enjoy your #365 spot on the PO leaderboard, maybe you should get that up before insulting me on the basis of experience?

I wanted to say that because I got annoyed by the article, having played Ubers on PO for at least 4 months. Please, next time, make sure that what's written is the real thing.
Next time do your research properly please.

I honestly didn't see you jumping foward to contribute your article, so don't insult mine. I really don't know what the basis of this attack was on. If you have a problem with me, PM me or post a VM, don't clog up this thread and mar a good issue with your petty complaints baised upon nothing but unresearched claims and PO usage. Charizard is #33 on PO Ubers usage stats.

I definitely agree with this post. There has been a lot of action in the tournament forum lately, yet there was nothing regarding it. Smogon claims to be a competitive site, so tournaments should be our #1 priority (not cute pokemon ?).
I'm sorry to hear you didn't like this issue of The Smog. Maybe you should write the entirety of Issue 12 so that it meets your specifications. Obviously we understand there is a need for tournament coverage and it has already been worked upon for quite some time. Considering it's a volunteer project though I wish people wouldn't run their mouths about the lack of people willing or able to carry out a specific task. :heart: Sorry if I sound irritable but a lot of people seem to fail to realise that for a feature to run, someone has to write it. And sometimes that isn't feasible.

P.S. A general notice that Mekkah and I are working on more opportunities for user feedback to be expressed. Although this particular complaint irritates me for reasons I have expressed, feedback is really important to us and we want to hear what you have to say.

Awesome Issue, Jumpluff. I hadn't had that much fun reading it since the first issues :)

Skarmory is a pokemon that's not used very much, since Forretress serves better for the Hazardous purpose (and none of the two will be left when Arceus comes out). The excellency counter for EKA is Giratina-o, but only if the god doesn't have Shadow Claw.

Adamant
[Multitype]

EXTREME SPEED!!!!!!
SWORDS DANCE!!!!!!

=====================================

thsi is what i thought so as well
the first arceus set i prepare against has been the extremekiller
i've been swept a lot in the very beginning by arceus single-handly (well except when im running stall with bulky gira/-o and such or forretress... blah blah)

but yeah i thiink he still did a great job though

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If you didn't write an article, you can't complain. :)

I'm 100% sure that Jimbo and the others would approved (and double stamped with a little Wailord sticker) if one of you Tourny guys had stepped up to the plate to write. If you didn't, it's your own damn fault.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

I'm 100% sure that Jimbo and the others would approved (and double stamped with a little Wailord sticker) if one of you Tourny guys had stepped up to the plate to write. If you didn't, it's your own damn fault.
This. We can only publish articles that people are willing to write! If nobody is willing to step up and write a tournament coverage article, "it won't happen".

Just because a pokemon isn't in the cutemon list doesn't mean it's not cute : P

Theres so many cute pokemon it's not even funny. I want to hug them all.

Great Smog issue, by the way. I'm always looking forward to more, and congratz to the people who got an artist's badge!
A scizor... in a suit and tie? *Hugs it*

Of course they're cute! We've been tiering them, and Spheal and Poliwag were up pretty high. We just couldn't cover every single cutemon. I happen to be a huge fan of both, esp. Spheal for the reasons Chou stated. <3

ETA: And you know I love Manaphy, toaster!
I think your tiers broke.

Edit: I don't know much about competitive battling since I'm pretty new to it, but I do have journalistic experience. If you need any help, feel free to drop me a line.

locopoke

Banned deucer.
I'm sorry to hear you didn't like this issue of The Smog. Maybe you should write the entirety of Issue 12 so that it meets your specifications. Obviously we understand there is a need for tournament coverage and it has already been worked upon for quite some time. Considering it's a volunteer project though I wish people wouldn't run their mouths about the lack of people willing or able to carry out a specific task. :heart: Sorry if I sound irritable but a lot of people seem to fail to realise that for a feature to run, someone has to write it. And sometimes that isn't feasible.

P.S. A general notice that Mekkah and I are working on more opportunities for user feedback to be expressed. Although this particular complaint irritates me for reasons I have expressed, feedback is really important to us and we want to hear what you have to say.
I just feel like tournament coverage is something that should be a regular thing (it used to be, it isn't anymore). Tournaments are a huge part of smogon and should be part of every issue. Maybe in the volunteer thread it should be specified that somebody needs to write it?

It's probably from a long time ago, but I noticed the OP has a part requesting people for certain articles, couldn't you also request for tournament coverage. I signed up though so w/e

Haha I had no idea my team was being featured! Definitely a nice surprise =D Overall it was a great issue and I think it was one of the best from an art prospective. Great job guys!

The Smog said:
What better way to end a look at the cutest 'mons is there apart from looking at the cutemons of the future? Pokabu is easily the highlight of the revealed Pokémon from Generation 5 when it comes to cuteness, and really, who doesn't like the sound of bacon that cooks itself? This smiling little piglet has a lot of potential to grow even cuter, so let's hope that Game Freak capitalizes on it. Unfortunately, Torchic and Cyndaquil just didn't live up to what they could have been, but there's always time to change this disappointing trend, Nintendo!
I lol'd

But seriously, this was an amazing issue guys. I can't wait to see the B&W coverage next month!

No offense but I thought there's a whole load of people volunteering to write in the sticky thread, they just don't know what to write about (or what to do next) @_@

Chou Toshio

Over9000
No offense but I thought there's a whole load of people volunteering to write in the sticky thread, they just don't know what to write about (or what to do next) @_@
We were talking about tournament coverage specifically. Most of the people in that thread have no idea (or no solid article-worthy idea) about what they want to write about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)