Shuckle (Update)

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/shuckle

[Overview]

<p>Shuckle has the highest Defense and Special Defense stats in the game, making it a one-of-a-kind wall in both areas. With sandstorm in play, this little turtle is by no means easily KOed. Not even Alakazam, which boasts the highest Special Attack in the UU tier, can get past Shuckle in a sandstorm. Although Shuckle's sky-high defensive stats make it seem like a great Pokemon, there are a number of factors stopping it from being as efficient as it should, such as its crippling Stealth Rock weakness, its pathetic HP stat, lack of instant recovery, lack of a useful ability, and incredibly limited movepool. However, with the right support, Shuckle can wall most Pokemon lacking a super effective attack into oblivion.</p>

[SET]
name: Toxic Stall
move 1: Encore
move 2: Toxic
move 3: Rest
move 4: Knock Off / Protect / Stealth Rock
Item: Leftovers
Nature: Impish
EVs
: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Although Shuckle's movepool is incredibly limited, it has all the assetsit needs to be a great Toxic staller.
Shuckle's titanicdefensive stats make it extremely hard to KO, and setting up on it with stat-up moves is not an option due to Encore. Once Shuckle's HP is low, it can fully heal itself with Rest. Knock Off is the best choice for the last slot; a lot of Pokemon hold Leftovers, granting them effective immunity to sandstorm, and Knock Off forces them to take sandstorm damage. It is also great for removing Choice items from Pokemon that would try to Trick them onto Shuckle. Protect is another option to use in the last slot, as it allows Shuckle to get a free turn of Toxic stalling, and grants it free Leftovers recovery. Stealth Rock is a good move on Shuckle since it is almost guaranteed to set it up unless it is Taunted, but if you are using a sandstorm team, youshould have another Pokemon with Stealth Rock on your team. Shuckle must never use maximum HP EVs because without them, Shuckle can switch into Stealth Rock more times.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Shuckle can use a specially defensive
EV spread of 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Def and a Careful nature. With that EV spread, Shuckle isn't even 5HKOed by Alakazam's Psychic. In the last slot, Substitute can be used when predicting a specific switch-in. Shuckle can then safely Toxic the opponent from behind the Substitute without fear of being KOed.</p>

<p>Shuckle
requires support against Steel- and Poison-types due to their immunity to Toxic. Dugtrio can trap and kill most Poison- and Steel-types, and has immunity to sandstorm as a bonus. Shuckle also appreciates Toxic Spikes support so that it can run Protect in Toxic's place. Wish support helps Shuckle out as well due to Rest's unreliability. Clefable is probably the best choice to supply this since it is immune to sandstorm, allowing it to gain Leftovers recovery. Cleric support from Leafeon and Clefable is also very helpful, although with Rest, Shuckle shouldn't really have to worry about status. Still, cleric support can wake Shuckle up if it has to switch out while sleeping.</p>

[Team Options]

<p>Hippopotas is required for setting up permanent sandstorm, which increases Shuckle's Special Defense by 50% and deals 6.25% damage each turn against the foe (bar Rock-, Ground-, and Steel-types), combining excellently with Shuckle's Toxic. Additionally, it can set up Stealth Rock (if Shuckle isn't using it already), which is helpful because Shuckle's Encore almost always forces the opponent to switch out. When combined with other entry hazards, Stealth Rock is devastating to your opponent due to Shuckle's ability to stall.</p>

<p>The main factor holding Shuckle back is its Stealth Rock weakness, so you will want to have a Rapid Spinner on your team. Hitmontop is the best Rapid Spinner to use because it can switch into Rock-type attacks directed at Shuckle, and then spin away Stealth Rock easily. Another good Rapid Spinner is Blastoise because of its Water resistance. Blastoise and Hitmontop both can use Foresight and Rapid Spin, enabling them to spin on Ghost-types. Still, spinblockers can give your Rapid Spinners trouble, so Spiritomb can be used to trap and KO them with Pursuit.</p>

<p>When using Shuckle, you
need to cover up its weakness to Water-types, so bulky Waters are good teammates for Shuckle. Quagsire resists all of Shuckle's weaknesses and can use Toxic and Encore, making it a good choice. Milotic has the best defensive stats of all of the bulky Waters and is able to strike opposing Water-types down with Hidden Power Grass off base 100 Special Attack, so it is a good teammate as well. Grass-types such as Venusaur and Leafeon are also great teammates because they resist Water and can strike Water-types super effectively with their STAB Grass attacks.</p>

[Optional Changes]

<p>Shuckle has a very poor movepool, so there aren't many sets it can run.
It can use an Acupressure set, but Shuckle's Attack stat at +6 will only reach 520, and it's outclassed by Drapion, who has higher Attack and Speed. Another niche that Shuckle has is a Power Trick set while in Trick Room. Once Shuckle uses Power Trick, its Attack stat will raise to 614, but its Defense and Special Defense stats will suffer, meaning that Shuckle will be OHKOed by common priority attacks. Also, Rhyperior makes a much better Rock-type Trick Room sweeper than Shuckle due to Swords Dance and having great bulk and a deadly Attack stat, making Power Trick Shuckle worthless. Wrap seems like a good option at first with its ability to trap Pokemon, but Shuckle will usually end up facing a Pokemon it doesn't want to trap, thus essentially wasting a turn.</p>

[Counters]

<p>One of the best ways to counter Shuckle is with hard hitting Rock-types such as Rhyperior, Aggron
, or Kabutops. These Pokemon are also capable of setting up Stealth Rock, which makes Shuckle easier to counter. Another way to counter Shuckle is by using Steel- and Poison-types since they are immune to Toxic,Shuckle's only way of damaging opponents. Any Pokemon with Taunt can stop Shuckle since the only attacking move Shuckle will ever be using is Knock Off. A great strategy for beating Shuckle is changing the weather. If you change the weather, Shuckle will lose its Special Defense boost, and your Pokemon will no longer lose 6.25% health each turn. Players rarely keep their Hippopotas alive throughout the match, so once you change the weather, sandstorm will likely not be set back up.</p>

At the end of Shuckle's analysis, it should be (in order): Team Options, Other Options, Counters. Also, I think Gastro Acid can be listed in Other Options, as taking away an opponent's useful ability is nice. Besides, Shuckle has an extremely shallow movepool, so it's not like it can do anything better. Other than that, I can't really see any major problems, so great job!

I've used Shuckle, and I think Knock Off should be the primary option in the fourth slot. Protect is fine, but it makes Shuckle absurdly easy to switch into, and people aren't going to let their Pokemon just sit there and die to Toxic damage while locked into a move that won't beat Shuckle anyway. With Knock Off, you can punish stuff that switches in, which is pretty frequent on Shuckle. Taking away your opponents' leftovers is awesome in sandstorm, and even knocking off stuff like Choice Scarves can help your team avoid trick.

just saying imagine a power trick set while shuckle is under trick room. entire teams could get swept.
Not with priority moves everywhere. And it's an obvious strategy.

I've used Shuckle, and I think Knock Off should be the primary option in the fourth slot. Protect is fine, but it makes Shuckle absurdly easy to switch into, and people aren't going to let their Pokemon just sit there and die to Toxic damage while locked into a move that won't beat Shuckle anyway. With Knock Off, you can punish stuff that switches in, which is pretty frequent on Shuckle. Taking away your opponents' leftovers is awesome in sandstorm, and even knocking off stuff like Choice Scarves can help your team avoid trick.

Not with priority moves everywhere. And it's an obvious strategy.

Made your changes.

Tbh I would kinda like to see Accupressure on there. It's Shuckle for fuck's sake.
If you mean in Other Options, then I kinda agree with you. However, I don't really see how Accupressure will be effective on Shuckle. My earlier OO suggestion, Gastro Acid, lets Shuckle take away an enemy's ability that might be useful later in the battle. Accupressure...too unreliable, and not much else use other than maybe boosting Defense or Special Defense.

Then again, it's Shuckle.

Tbh I would kinda like to see Accupressure on there. It's Shuckle for fuck's sake.

I tested out an Acupressure set and it always just got either Encored, Roared out, or Hazed. From my experince, it isn't worth it's own set.

@Flashrider57: I really do not see any situation where Gastro Acid would be helpful, but i will test it tommorow morning.

Bumping this to say that i have tested out Gstro Acid, and so far it hasn't been very useful, so i don't think i should mention it in OO.

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
instead of quadruple-posting, why dont you try contacting some uu qc members; they will all be happy to help you, so just try PMing one of them if you want your update to get some attention!

(also please remove the bright green text from the OP, it's kinda painful to read)

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

Yeah not a lot it can do very well besides this. You have the specially-defensive spread covered in AC, and that's really the only thing I was going to mention. Good work.

Be sure to use proper formatting and run your analysis through a spell-check once you finish it, I noticed numerous obvious grammatical and spelling errors in my read and you should probably get rid of those yourself before trying to get it through GP.

SilentVerse

Into the New World
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Um, you still don't really have the proper format. Since this is an Update, you need to add Team Options, Optional Changes, and Counters sections. You might want to look at the completed Exeggutor analysis so you can see what format they want this in.

Um, you still don't really have the proper format. Since this is an Update, you need to add Team Options, Optional Changes, and Counters sections. You might want to look at the completed Exeggutor analysis so you can see what format they want this in.

Well i just thought that all that stuff was suppose to get merged into the AC.

Fixed.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
@Nightshadow - no Rock is neutral to Rock

@Cicada - At the beginning of paragraphs you use just a <p> thing, and at the end you use a </p> thing. There should be no spaces in-between the <p> and the rest of your paragraphs. There shouldn't be a double space between the [Team Options/etc.] brackets and the paragraph either. Your EVs should look like this: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD

Set should also have brackets around it like this [SET]

@Nightshadow - no Rock is neutral to Rock

@Cicada - At the beginning of paragraphs you use just a <p> thing, and at the end you use a </p> thing. There should be no spaces in-between the <p> and the rest of your paragraphs. There shouldn't be a double space between the [Team Options/etc.] brackets and the paragraph either. Your EVs should look like this: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD

Set should also have brackets around it like this [SET]

Thanks, fixed it.

Now this should be ready for GP.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Not quite. You still need the slash / in-between the EVs.

And, this section (and all sections like it):

[SET COMMENTS]

<p> Although
Shuckles movepool is incredibly limited, he has all the moves he needs to be a great Toxic staller. Shuckles great defense stats make it extremely hard to defeat, and setting up on him with stat up moves is not an option due to Encore.

Should look like this:

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Although
Shuckles movepool is incredibly limited, he has all the moves he needs to be a great Toxic staller. Shuckles great defense stats make it extremely hard to defeat, and setting up on him with stat up moves is not an option due to Encore.

There should be no spaces in-between the <p> and the paragraph.

Your [Overview] also needs the <p> and </p> and brackets.

Be sure to look over your writing and make sure you don't have a lot of grammar mistakes. I see a few places were Shuckles should be Shuckle's. So, be sure to look for that stuff.

Not quite. You still need the slash / in-between the EVs.

And, this section (and all sections like it):

[SET COMMENTS]

<p> Although Shuckles movepool is incredibly limited, he has all the moves he needs to be a great Toxic staller. Shuckles great defense stats make it extremely hard to defeat, and setting up on him with stat up moves is not an option due to Encore.

Should look like this:

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Although Shuckles movepool is incredibly limited, he has all the moves he needs to be a great Toxic staller. Shuckles great defense stats make it extremely hard to defeat, and setting up on him with stat up moves is not an option due to Encore.

There should be no spaces in-between the <p> and the paragraph.

Your [Overview] also needs the <p> and </p> and brackets.

Be sure to look over your writing and make sure you don't have a lot of grammar mistakes. I see a few places were Shuckles should be Shuckle's. So, be sure to look for that stuff.

Thank you, i have fixed all of this.

Pointing at the basic grammatical mistakes such as pronouns and caps, apostrophes making it easier for the grammar check team. Sorry didn't have enough time to do all.

Shuckle has the highest defense and special defense stats in the game, which make him making it a one of a kind one-of-a-kind wall in both areas. In With sandstorm in play, sandstorm this little turtle is almost impossible to defeat with a special attack by no means easily defeated. Not even Alakazam the pokemon with the highest boasting the highest special attack in the tier can get passed Shuckle in a sandstorm. If you max out maximize Shuckles Shuckle’s special defence stat he, it can hit over 900 special defence (yes it is true) although maxing it out investing all 252 EVs into it isn't really worth it. Although Shuckles Shuckle’s two defense stats make him it sound like a "got to have it" pokemon Pokemon, their there are so are a great number of factors things stopping him it from being as efficient as he it should could be(Note for author: As he ‘should’ implies that he has something but not utilizing it to the fullest). Some of these things points to note are is his crippling Stealth Rock weakness, his pathetic hp HP stat, lack of instant recovery, lack of a useful ability, and an incredibly limited movepool. However, with the right support Shuckle can wall anything most Pokemon lacking without a super effective attack into oblivion.</p>

[SET]
Evs EVs 248 Hp HP/ 252 Def/ 8 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Although Shuckles Shuckle’s movepool is incredibly limited, he it has all the moves he it needs to be a great Toxic staller. Shuckles Shuckle’s great defense stats make it extremely hard to defeat, and setting up on him it with stat up moves is not an option due to Encore. Once Shuckles Shuckle’s hp HP statis down low he it can heal itself with uses Rest to get it right back up to full, but although he it wishes he it had a better instant recovery move. Knock Off is the best choice for the last slot, as a lot of pokemon Pokemon carry around hold Leftovers, which granting grants them immunity to sandstorm, and Knock Off forces them to take sandstorm damage. Knock Off is also good great for removing Choice items off of pokemon Pokemon that would try to Trick it onto you. Protect is a good option another option to place in the last slot as well. Protect It allows you to get a free turn of Toxic stalling, and gets you free Leftovers recovery. Stealth Rock is a good move on Shuckle since he it is almost guaranteed to get it up unless he it is taunted, but if you are using a Sandstorm team you should have another pokemon Pokemon with Stealth Rock on your team. Shuckle must never use max maximum hp HP evs Evs, the reason for this is to allow you to switch into Stealth Rock more times.</p>

GP Check 1/2

Deletions in red

Changes/additions in bold

[Overview]
<p>Shuckle has the highest Defense and Special Defense stats in the game, making it a one-of-a-kind wall in both areas. With sandstorm in play this little turtle is by no means easily defeated. Not even Alakazam, boasting the highest Special Attack in the tier, can get passed past Shuckle in a sandstorm. If you maximize Shuckle's Special Defense stat it can hit over 900 Special Defense, (yes it is true) although investing all 252 EVs into it Special Defense isn't really worth it. Although Shuckle's two defense stats make it sound seem like a "got to have it" great Pokemon, there are are a great number of factors things stopping it from being as efficient as it should. Some points to note are is his, such as its crippling Stealth Rock weakness, its pathetic HP stat, lack of instant recovery, lack of a useful ability, and incredibly limited movepool. However, with the right support Shuckle can wall most Pokemon lacking a super effective attack into oblivion.</p>

[SET]
EVs: 248 HP [space] / 252 Def [space] / 8 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Although Shuckle's movepool is incredibly limited, it has all the moves it needs to be a great Toxic staller. Shuckle's great defense stats make it extremely hard to defeat, and setting up on it with stat-raising moves is not an option due to Encore. Once Shuckle's HP is low it can heal itself with Rest to get it right back up to full replenish it, but it wishes he had a better instant recovery move. Knock Off is the best choice for the last slot,; a lot of Pokemon hold Leftovers, granting them effective immunity to sandstorm, and Knock Off forces them to take sandstorm damage. Knock Off is also great for removing Choice items off from Pokemon that would try to Trick it them onto you. Protect is another option to place in the last slot as well. It allows you to get a free turn of Toxic stalling, and gets grants you free Leftovers recovery. Stealth Rock is a good move on Shuckle since it is almost guaranteed to get it up unless it is Taunted, but if you are using a sandstorm team you should have another Pokemon with Stealth Rock on your team. Shuckle must never use maximum HP EVs,; the reason for this is to allow you Shuckle to switch into Stealth Rock more times.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>If you are using Shuckle, Rapid Spin support is required. Hitmontop is probably the best option for this job because he it resists Shuckle's Rock-type moves, to which Shuckle is weak weakness. Water types are great counters to Shuckle, so bulky waters of your own are good team choices. Blastoise is one of the best bulky waters to pair up with Shuckle due to having rapid spin, and being a bulky water. Quagsire is another good team member for Shuckle since Quagsire resists all of Shuckle's weaknesses. Shuckle can notharm Steel-, or Poison-types due to their immunity to Toxic. Dugtrio can trap and kill most Poison- and Steel-types, and also has immunity to sandstorm. Shuckle also appreciates Toxic Spikes support so that he can run Protect in Toxic's place. Hippopotas is required for setting up the permanent sandstorm. Wish support helps Shuckle out as well. Clefable is probably the best choice since she it is immune to sandstorm, allowing her it to get Leftovers recovery. Cleric support is also very helpful, although with Rest you shouldn't really have to worry about status, but Heal Bell can wake you up if you have to switch out while sleeping. Spiritomb can be helpful for getting rid of opponents' spin blockers.</p>

<p>Shuckle can use a specially defensive EV spread of 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Def and a Careful nature,; with that EV spread Shuckle isn’t even 5HKOed by Alakazam's Psychic.</p>

<p>In the last slot Substitute can be used. Shuckle can set up Substitute when predicting one of its counters to switch in is switching in, then safely Toxic them from behind a Substitute.</p>

[Team Options:]

<p>Hippopotas is required for setting up the permanent sandstorm.</p>

<p>The main thing holding Shuckle back is his its Stealth Rock weakness, so you will want to have a Rapid Spinner on your team. The best Rapid Spinner to use with Shuckle is Hitmontop. Hitmontop can switch into Rock-type attacks directed at Shuckle, resist it them, and then just spin away the rocks easily. Another good Rapid Spinner for Shuckle is Blastoise. Blastoise can learn both Foresight, and Rapid Spin, while also being a bulky Water. Spinblockers can give your Rapid Spinners trouble, so Spiritomb can be used to trap and kill them with Pursuit.</p>

<p>When using Shuckle, you will always want to cover up his weakness to Water-types, so bulky Waters are really good team members for Shuckle. Quagsire resists all of Shuckle's weaknesses, so he it is a good choice. Like i said before As previously stated, Blastoise is both a bulky Water, and a Rapid Spinner so he is a good choice as well. Milotic has the best defense stats of all of the bulky Waters so Milotic is a good team choice as well. Once Shuckle Encores something into a weak attack, or a non-attacking move they will always switch out, so Spikes and Stealth Rock support are suggested, but Spikes are not required.</p>

[Optional Changes]

<p>There really aren't many. Shuckle can use a Wrap set pretty well. Shuckle could also use an Acupressure set, but most of the time you will just be Roared out, Encored, or Hazed.</p>

[Counters]

<p>Shuckle's Stealth Rock weakness makes it much more easily counterable.</p>

<p>One of the best ways to counter Shuckle is with hard-hitting Rock-types such as Rhyperior, Aggron, or Kabutops, etc. Another way to counter Shuckle is by using Steel-, and Posion-types. Steel- and Poison-types are immune to Toxic, which is Shuckle's only way of damaging opponents. Anything with Taunt can stop Shuckle since the only non attacking move a Shuckle will ever be using is Knock Off. A great stragtegy for beating Shuckle is changing the weather. If you change the weather Shuckle will lose his its Special Defense boost, and you will no longer be losing 6% health each turn. If you are using this strategy. Players rarely keep their Hippopotas alive throughout the match, so once you change the weather Sandstorm will likely not be getting set back up.</p>
Good writeup.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)