Volcarona

Urugamosu

Urugamosu is one of the new Pokemon in the 5th generation, and is found in a unique cave with just it lurking there. This thread is dedicated to the discussion of the Pokemon competitively, not whether it will or will not be banned. Keep that in mind.
Code:
[B]#637 Urugamosu[/B]
Typing: Bug / Fire
Ability 1: 
   Flame Body
    30% chance to burn Pokemon using contact moves on this Pokemon.
Ability 2: (Dream World)
   Swarm
    Boosts power of Bug-type moves 50% when at 1/3 HP or less.

HP:  85
Atk: 60
Def: 60
SpA: 135
SpD: 105
Spe: 100

[B]Pre-Evo Moves:[/B]
Lv20: Take Down
Lv30: Nitro Charge
Lv40: Bug Bite
Lv50: Double-Edge
Lv60: Flame Wheel
Lv80: Amnesia
Lv90: Thrash
Lv100: Flare Blitz

Nitro Charge: Fire Physical  PP: 20 / Power: 50 / Accuracy: 100
May raise the user's Speed.

[B]Level-Up Moves:[/B]
Lv1: Ember
Lv1: String Shot
Lv1: Leech Life
Lv1: Gust
Lv10: Leech Life
Lv20: Gust
Lv30: Fire Spin
Lv40: Whirlwind
Lv50: Silver Wind
Lv59: Butterfly Dance
Lv60: Heat Wave
Lv70: Bug Buzz
Lv80: Rage Power
Lv90: Wind Storm
Lv100: Fire Dance

Butterfly Dance: Bug Other PP: 20 / Power: --- / Accuracy: ---
Raises Special Attack, Special Defense, and Speed by 1 stage.

Rage Power: Bug Other PP: 20 / Power: --- / Accuracy: ---
Whenever an opposing Pokémon uses an attack with a target of "single non-user" or "single opposing Pokémon" this round and there is a Pokemon at the position of this attack's user, it is directed to the Pokemon at the position of this attack's user instead of to any other non-user of that attack. Remains effective even if user is replaced. Priority level 3.

Wind Storm: Flying Special PP: 10 / Power: 120 / Accuracy: 70
Increases accuracy during weather. (30%)

Fire Dance: Fire Special PP: 10 / Power: 80 / Accuracy: 100
May increase user's Special Attack by 1 stage.

[B]TM Moves:[/B]
TM04 - Calm Mind
TM06 - Toxic
TM10 - Hidden Power
TM11 - Sunny Day
TM15 - Hyper Beam
TM16 - Light Screen
TM17 - Protect
TM20 - Safeguard
TM21 - Frustration
TM22 - Solar Beam
TM27 - Return
TM29 - Psychic
TM32 - Double Team
TM35 - Flamethower
TM38 - Fire Blast
TM40 - Aerial Ace
TM42 - Facade
TM43 - Nitro Charge
TM44 - Rest
TM48 - Troll
TM50 - Overheat
TM59 - Complete Burn
TM61 - Will-O-Wisp
TM62 - Acrobat
TM68 - Giga Impact
TM76 - Bug Resistance
TM84 - Poison Jab
TM87 - Swagger
TM89 - U-Turn
TM90 - Substitute
TM93 - Wild Bolt
HM02 - Fly

Troll: Normal Special PP: 15 / Power: 60 / Accuracy: 100
Raises Base Power the more Pokemon you have with the attack.

Complete Burn: Fire Special PP: 15 / Power: 30 / Accuracy: 100
Removes the target's Berry.

Acrobat: Flying Physical PP: 15 / Power: 55 / Accuracy: 100
Allows the user to hit the opposite opponent in a Triple Battle.

Bug Resistance: Bug Special PP: 20 / Power: 30 / Accuracy: 100
May decrease opponent's Special Attack by 1 stage.

Wild Bolt: Electric Physical PP: 15 / Power: 90 / Accuracy: 100
Returns to user 1/4 of HP lost by opponent due to this attack.

[B]Egg Moves:[/B]
String Shot
Harden
Foresight
Endure
Zen Headbutt
Morning Sun
Magnet Rise
This Pokemon is a bundle of surprises, and if you didn't think the same when you read the above, let me show you what I mean.

• Access to Butterfly Dance
    This might be the greatest boosting move that exists in the game. With extraordinarily few Pokemon getting it and most of them sucking, that Urugamosu gets it is a godsend. It gives Urugamosu +1 SpA / +1 SpD / +1 Spe and almost single-handedly enables his sweep off the bat. Couple that boosting move with base 135 Special Attack and base 100 Speed and you've got a ferocious sweeper on your hands. Don't give it the chance to get +2 or you're pretty much screwed.
  • Amazing stat distribution and typing for a speedy special sweeper
    I mentioned it above and I'll say it again here: Urugamosu has an ideal distribution of stats for what it is attempting. 85/60/105 are legitimate defenses for a sweeper like this, all coupled with a resistance to both Bullet Punch and Mach Punch make for a great build. Add to this the fact that even bulky Water-type Pokemon won't want to switch in because Urugamosu is boosting its great Special Defense and can puncture them with its immensely powerful attacks and avoid being KOed in return and you'll see just how deadly Urugamosu is.
  • Perhaps the best sun sweeper that exists
    It may not have Chlorophyll, but this thing uses the sun like a fiend with Wind Storm, STAB Fire Blast, Solar Beam, and Butterfly Dance to boost its already impressive stats. If you are running a sun team, use this Pokemon. Trust me.
  • 4x Stealth Rock weakness
    It's not all sunshine for Urugamosu, though. That typing is perhaps its single greatest fault. Being 4x weak to Stealth Rock forces you to run Rapid Spin support or sacrifice Urugamosu's respectable bulk when attempting your sweep.
I suspect that a dominant set will look like this:

Urugamosu @ Life Orb
Ability: Flame Body / Swarm
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
~ Butterfly Dance
~ Fire Blast / Fire Dance
~ Bug Buzz
~ Hidden Power Ground

This is your typical powerhouse set. Fire/Bug coverage is respectable, but is totally walled by Heatran and other Fire-type Pokemon. For this reason, you're definitely going to want Hidden Power Ground in the last slot. Butterfly Dance makes this all possible and sets Urugamosu up or an immense sweep. After one use, Urugamosu hits 553 Special Attack, which makes those STAB Fire Blasts absurdly strong. If you're worried about accuracy, you can run Fire Dance, which has more PP than Fire Blast and a handy chance to boost Urugamosu's Special Attack even further when used. (Which is definitely appreciated) Ninetales is a phenomenal partner to this set, because a double-STAB Fire Blast is going to murder everything. Even better, though, is that the sun removes Urugamosu's Water-type weakness and Butterfly Dance boosts resistance to special attacks. What's even better than that, though, is that as a Fire-type Pokemon, Urugamosu doesn't have to worry about stray burns from Boiling Water! (Not that it really cared, but damage per turn is damage per turn)

What do you guys think? What sets do you think look promising besides the one I've listed? Who will you guys partner him with? Who do you think will give him trouble?

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It really needs Substitute so that priority does not murder it. SR is kinda bad but its not too hard to spin and I guess its not O.K offensive STABs. Speed is not too shabby either.

It really needs Substitute so that priority does not murder it. SR is kinda bad but its not too hard to spin and I guess its not O.K offensive STABs. Speed is not too shabby either.
and from what we know, SR isn't as common as it was last gen, because it's not a TM anymore.

but yeah- rock weak is REALLY hurtful, especially coupled with it being grounded (derp, the winged moth can't levitate without specifically being told to do so). really cool looking pokemon, and I was speculating WAY MANY MONTHS AGO how awesome it would be if a bug/fire moth poke based on the atlas moth would be... go figure :)

good speed, and a spA stat on alakazam and poryZ levels (still good, but Chanderaa is #1 now lol :p). good stats and butterfly dance may actually help it be usable

After one butterfly dance, this thing is going to be shooting down entire teams with ease considering how amazing Bug/Fire is as offensive typing.

So what if it's rock weak? It has only two other weaknesses and tears holes in everything.

Fighting/Bug/Steel/Grass resistances mean Scizor and technician Breloom will get eaten alive. Considering all the new bugs, steels, and fighters in this gen I think it'll actually wind up being pretty vital.

This guy reminds me a lot of Heatran last gen; awesome design, unique typing, great stats, but with a lot of nitpicking about one particularly glaring weakness. I think it'll be a beast eventually.

Stealth Rock will blast this thing bad. It's a pity since it looks kinda like Empoleon, but with better offensive (though way worse defensive) typing. I can see this being a good contender in UU kinda like Yanmega, but it's probably not gonna cut in OU.

Not gonna cut it in OU with better Speed and Special attack than Heatran?

The only real problem here is Stealth Rocks. Assuming a metagame with it. Ulgamoth is hurting pretty bad, but I think it'd break UU easily. Assuming a metagame with it I think he'll be an offensive monster. Especially under the sun, where he can switch in with no worries on 4x resisted grass attacks...

Sorry, but as it is there are no Pokemon with 4x SR weak in OU. As cool as this guy is, I don't see him making waves any time soon as the common SRers this gen don't really care for their DW abilities much.

Sorry, but as it is there are no Pokemon with 4x SR weak in OU. As cool as this guy is, I don't see him making waves any time soon as the common SRers this gen don't really care for their DW abilities much.
As is, there are no Pokemon in Gen 5 OU, period.

No, but there is one in Ubers, and he does just fine.

Just because Stealth Rocks is still usable doesn't mean it's still going to be as viable.

New pokemon that resist Stealth Rocks (Fully evolved):
Doryuuzu, Nageki, Dageki, Gamageroge, Rohpushin, Warubiaru, Zuruzukin, Nattorei, Gigigear, Maggyo, Kojondo, Goruggo, Kirikizan, Birijion, Terakion, Kobaruon, Kerudio

That's a handful of 17 pokemon. 1 of them being the mighty Doryuuzu, who also gets Shadow Claw and access to Rapid Spin if I'm not mistaken.

Regardless, my point still stands. The dominant SRers will still exist, unless you're willing to make arguments as to why they will not, which I am completely open to.

Fighting/Bug/Steel/Grass resistances mean Scizor and technician Breloom will get eaten alive. Considering all the new bugs, steels, and fighters in this gen I think it'll actually wind up being pretty vital.

This guy reminds me a lot of Heatran last gen; awesome design, unique typing, great stats, but with a lot of nitpicking about one particularly glaring weakness. I think it'll be a beast eventually.
I agree that this particular Pokemon is awesome, and I love the Bug type, so I like to see new representatives emerge. However, I think I have to disagree with it being "the next Heatran" due to the fact that, while a Ground type weakness was a huge problem, it didn't have to put up with the huge crippling by Stealth Rock. If Stealth Rock maintains a high profile in the Gen V metagame, teams will either have to be extremely reliant on their spinners to guarantee Butterfly Dance set up/sweepage, or else it will be made quick work of.

Regardless, my point still stands. The dominant SRers will still exist, unless you're willing to make arguments as to why they will not, which I am completely open to.
They will exist, but not necessarily alongside their powerful new abilities. For that reason and others, they may not stay dominant. We just don't know.

Without a Stealth Rock TM, I'm seeing this guy make some pretty big waves (although I wouldn't put it past Gamefreak to make it a Move Tutor move in Grey, or whatever they call the next one). Especially with all the new, super-powered offensive pokes they're releasing making it that much harder to set up SR without losing a 'Mon. I've always loved fire, and bug, so this guy is like my dream come true. The only thing I'm looking forward to more is Speed Boost Blaziken, and that's just because he's always been my favorite 'Mon, period

Humor me. For what reason would Aerodactyl, Azelf, Metagross, and Swampert stop wanting to lead with their SRs? I'm not being a jerk here. I'm genuinely inquiring. I'm wracking my brain for a reason to think of why these Pokemon would stop leading. The most obvious possibility would be because newer leads would force them out of action. But what could possibly threaten them?

I really want to imagine Urugamosu as a viable Poke, awesome design and movepool and all, but I find it hard to picture.

This 'mon seems to have a ton of potential. Getting past rock types should be pretty easy: throw HP Grass or Fighting into its arsenal and you're set. SR weakness is definitely an issue, though.

I made some edits to my first post, capitalizing on new material I missed. Also deleted nonsensical and stupid intro. And as a side note, I thought this analysis was sloppy.. eh.

I see SR still being used. And yes, I am unsure whether the item is one use or not. And whether or not (probably not) Urgamoth is usable as a lead-sweeper is currently unknown.

Just learned that Urgamoth can't get Roost as a TM (correct me if I'm wrong). This means it has to stick with Morning Sun, which is much less viable. But hey, it has potential in Drought teams.

(OU Speculation) After thinking about it some more, I found it was tough to imagine this guy as an OU. He has the stats, yes, but lacks any sort of capability to truly abuse them. The core of this argument resides in the fact that there are many pokemon with fantastic stats introduced, but, with so many of them, some would obviously be regulated for UU. For example, I imagine the Hydra to be overrated as a Latias with no pursuit weak--the problem is, normal attacks from the huge offensive prowess this meta makes the Hydra harder to effectively use. Combined with a crippling fighting weakness and no Roost, I am sure people will find the Hydra not as powerful as assumed. Even the Lamprey, with good stats, typing, movepool, and ability, who might've been OU 4th gen, might end up being UU this gen. And I can picture Urgamoth as a sturdy UU.
Firstly, the stat up move (Pokejungle translated it as Butterfly Dance, I saw some translate it as Butterfly Wing, so I won't name it yet) is just not threatening enough at first. Priority absolutely ruins Urgamoth. No matter how much it stats up, an aqua jet or extremespeed will promptly deal with it. Fortunately for Urgamoth, it resists Bullet Punch and Mach Punch. This, however, does not make up for the fact that it is weak to water, neutral to earth, weak to rock and I think something else. Looking at the major threats in this gen and considering how to counter them, I see the Kibago evo being dominant. Have huge stats plus taunt means very few things can shut it down. This makes me feel that Donphan would increase in popularity. And, if Rain teams are popular, Gastrodon with Storm Drain, assuming Storm Drain works like Lightning Rod, will probably replace Swampert. And if Shaandera is OU, then Blissey has to carry Healing Wish as so not to be swept by +6.
(Back on topic)
So where does Urgamoth fall into this? I...don't see much of a place for it. While practicing teams (looking at movepools, which are available), I tried making an Urgamoth team. I ended up replacing with Shaandera because that is so mcuh better, but then I even sacked Shaandera in an attempt to make a defensive team that covers offensive threat. My point is, I don't think it is easy to fit Urgamoth onto a team. He does not compliment many things with his typing, and is very centralized to setting up and special sweeping. It does have a special niche with his stat up move, but that is about it. Unlike the D/P dancers, pokemon can actually take a hit from Urgamoth and take it out (I think). Right now, there is a lot unknown about the metagame and how Urgamoth would affect it, and what I stated before were merely my hypotheses. The truth is, Urgamoth has a lot of potential to fly... or be squished to death by rocks. But I think it will take some time for Urgamoth to get recognition, as Onokonosu and Shaandera and Rain Dance will no doubt take the spotlight.

Everyone who says this guy is going to stay out of OU is doing so because of SR, but we just don't know how prominent that's going to be this generation. The fact that SR is no longer a TM and the unknowns attached to dream abilities and such puts its future into question, not to mention the plethora of new pokemon resistant to it.

Ultimately, it really does come down to that. If stealth rock gets used as much as in this gen, I bet this poor moth ends up BL and rarely used (I have a hard time believing that it wouldn't break UU, stealth rock weakness or not). If SR doesn't see as much use, then this moth is going to be OU for sure, though we must remember the SR popularity is not a "it's used or it isn't" sort of thing... it's a matter of degrees.

Ultimately, only time will tell.

Even if this thing is dual weak to SR, I have a feeling you'll only have to bring it in once, set up Butterfly Dance, and sweep. I haven't run calcs but even at 50% health, it can probably survive a CB Scizor/Breloom's Bullet/Mach Punch and end up in Swarm Range.

The best partner for this Pokemon (besides Rapid Spinners) is probably Vaporeon, since you can easily pass this thing a Wish on a Grass attack and it will be back to full health.

In conclusion, I don't think this will become as good a DD Salamence but it can still probably sweep with a little support.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I have merged the two threads. jumpluff requested that the OP be rewritten and Rising Dusk did so.

Stellar said:
I have merged the two threads. jumpluff requested that the OP be rewritten and Rising Dusk did so.
Thanks a ton for that!
Thee said:
So where does Urgamoth fall into this? I...don't see much of a place for it. While practicing teams (looking at movepools, which are available), I tried making an Urgamoth team. I ended up replacing with Shaandera because that is so mcuh better, but then I even sacked Shaandera in an attempt to make a defensive team that covers offensive threat. My point is, I don't think it is easy to fit Urgamoth onto a team.
Your analysis is strong, but you've got to realize that this thing hits harder than Choice Specs Heatran after a single Butterfly Dance. Did I mention that it also is more specially bulky and faster by leaps and bounds? With one turn setup, it becomes an amazing sweeper, and it definitely gets opportunities to setup with a neutrality to Ground and a 4x resistance to Grass. If you manage to get this out in the sun too, which is likely considering that Ninetales got Drought, it will utterly destroy things.

I'm pretty sure that it will fare well at the very least in whatever metagame Gen V churns out.

Adamant CB Scizor bullet punch/Adamant CB Breloom mach punch: 39.2%-46.3% you die if you have life orb, otherwise, fine
Jolly Lucario extremespeed: 49.2% minimum.
Dragonite ES:not even worth running a calc.

if you could keep rocks off the field this could be a monster, since no priority user does more than 60ishmax.

Ninjask is OU, also If Ho-oh can stay in Ubers with SR around this pokemon can become OU if it proves out to work well in the metagame

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)