Victini

#494 Victini
Typing: Psychic / Fire
Base Stats: 100 / 100 / 100 / 100 / 100 / 100
Ability: Victory Star (raises accuracy of Victini and its teammates)
Level Up Moves:
Lv1: Flame Bomb, Lv1: Focus Energy, Lv1: Confusion, Lv1: Complete Burn, Lv1: Quick Attack, Lv9: Endure, Lv17: Headbutt, Lv25: Nitro Charge, Lv33: Reversal, Lv41: Fire Burst, Lv49: Zen Headbutt, Lv57: Purgatory, Lv65: Double-Edge, Lv73: Flare Blitz, Lv81: Desperation, Lv89: Assist Power, Lv97: Overheat

TM Moves:
TM03 - Psycho Shock, TM06 - Toxic, TM10 - Hidden Power, TM11 - Sunny Day, TM12 - Taunt, TM15 - Hyper Beam, TM16 - Light Screen, TM17 - Protect, TM19 - Telekinesis, TM20 - Safeguard, TM21 - Frustration, TM22 - Solar Beam, TM24 - Thunderbolt, TM25 - Thunder, TM27 - Return, TM29 - Psychic, TM30 - Shadow Ball, TM31 - Brick Break, TM32 - Double Team, TM35 - Flamethower, TM38 - Fire Blast , TM42 - Facade, TM43 - Nitro Charge, TM44 - Rest, TM48 - Troll, TM50 - Overheat, TM52 - Focus Blast, TM53 - Energy Ball, TM56 - Fling, TM57 - Charge Beam, TM59 - Complete Burn, TM61 - Will-O-Wisp, TM63 - Embargo, TM68 - Giga Impact, TM70 - Flash, TM73 - Thunder Wave, TM77 - Psych Up, TM83 - Cheer Up, TM86 - Grass Knot, TM87 - Swagger, TM89 - U-Turn, TM90 - Substitute, TM92 - Trick Room, TM93 - Wild Bolt, TM94 - Rock Smash

Nitro Charge: 50 BP Physical Fire move, 100 Acc, boosts Speed 1 stage upon use.
Flame Bomb: Special Fire PP: 5 Power: 100 / Accuracy: 100 Effect: May burn opponent. (30%)
Wild Bolt: Physical Electric PP: 15 Power: 90 / Accuracy: 100 Effect: Returns to user 1/4 of HP lost by opponent due to this attack (recoil).

Victini definitely has plenty of things going for it. Victory Star is one of the best things about Victini, because it allows Victini to effectively use high-power, low accuracy moves such as Fire Blast, Focus Blast and Thunder. Victini's movepool is pretty nice as well, getting some nice type coverage and hitting fairly hard from both sides of the damage spectrum. STAB Fire is also very good, so pairing Victini with Drought Ninetales will guarantee some devastating results. Finally, 100 / 100 / 100 defenses makes sure Victini won't go down to a light wind.

Victini isn't without its faults though. Namely, its partial Psychic typing hinders it more than it helps it. Although a Fighting resistance is nice, being weak to Pursuit means that Tyranitar will be a natural enemy to Victini if you don't burn it or hit it with a Focus Blast / Brick Break on the switch-in. The Fire typing can also cause problems if Stealth Rock is still relatively common in Gen 5.

Now let's look at some potential sets.

Victini @ Life Orb / Leftovers
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spd
Nature: Timid (+Spd, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Fire Blast / Flame Bomb
- Focus Blast
- Thunder / Grass Knot / Shadow Ball

Sub + 3 Attacks Victini. The idea behind this set is to scout for the opponent's Victini check, then knock it out with the appropriate attack. Choice Scarf Tyranitar ready to Pursuit Victini to kingdom come? Focus Blast it away. Gyarados looking to get a few Dragon Dances on the victory Pokemon? Thunder will teach it a lesson. Swampert wants to Roar it away. Stop it with Grass Knot. Shadow Ball is another option for the last slot if the Fire / Ghost chandelier Pokemon gives you the blues. For the choice of STAB, Fire Blast is more powerful, but Flame Bomb has a higher chance of burning a potential counter in the case of a misprediction.

Victini @ Life Orb / Leftovers
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Nature: Jolly (+Spd, -SpA)
- Flare Blitz / Nitro Charge
- Brick Break
- Wild Bolt
- U-turn

Physical Victini. This is a useful set to catch any Blissey that plan on switching into Victini expecting a Special set. Seeing how Victini's STAB Fire attacks will stop Skarmory and Forretress, physical Victini will probably be an excellent stall breaker. For the main STAB, there's the choice between power and utility again. Flare Blitz is much more powerful than Nitro Charge, but with Nitro Charge, Victini can hit Choice Scarf Tyranitar on the switch, boost its Speed so it outspeeds Tyranitar, then KO Tyranitar with Brick Break. Brick Break also covers Heatran switch-ins. Wild Bolt hurts Water-types and U-turn can be used to escape from a counter or just simple scouting.

Victini @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spd
Nature: Timid (+Spd, -Atk)
- Will-O-Wisp
- U-turn
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast

Support Victini. With a high accuracy Will-O-Wisp, Victini is quite capable of crippling any physical checks to it. Fellow Fire-types such as Blaziken and Heatran will be able to perform much better when their counters cannot OHKO them. After burning something, Victini can provide some more support by using U-turn to get frail Pokemon free switch-ins. Fire Blast and Focus Blast provide general coverage so Victini isn't helpless against some Pokemon like Heatran.

Anyway, that's enough from me, now it's your turn. Discuss anything else Victini related here.

an sub-salac set with reversal and overheat for skarm was the first thing that struck me, but even still, it would die to SS and hail damage.

shadow ball would be useful on the sub+3 attacks set for the ghost/fire shadow tag thingy, if not other pokemon. fire/fighting/grass would make it dead weight in a match with that pokemon otherwise.

While the sets seem threatening and all, I wanna voice my opinion that this thing, while cute, is kinda too hard to switch in and out for it's own good. It has SR weakness and pursuit weakness, plus fire and psychic types have too many weaknesses for it's own good.

Meh, just complaining for the worst defensive typing ever. Stealth Rock weakness, Pursuit weakness, not Spikes and Toxic Spikes immune... although, it does seem to have an endless movepool full of interesting moves, doesn't it?

Exactly how accurate is a Victini will-o-wisp?
Same goes for a more accurare fire blast and thunder.
Any chance it could get calm mind?

Kinda sounding like an offensive celibi.

Exactly how accurate is a Victini will-o-wisp?
Same goes for a more accurare fire blast and thunder.
Any chance it could get calm mind?

Kinda sounding like an offensive celibi.
There's no info to my knowledge of how big the boost Victory Star brings. Assuming it brings the same boost as Compoundeyes (multiplicative increase of 30%), Will-O-Wisp gets 97.5% accuracy, Fire Blast gets 100% accuracy and Thunder gets 91% accuracy. Victini sadly does not have access to Calm Mind.

There's also that V-Generate attack with 180 BP/95 ACC /5 PP, but no one knows how he gets it, only that he gets it "a special way". That attack will rip stuff up.

I personally love the special set with Focus Blast. Once special walls are gone, he can rip through teams.

I think a bulkier set would be better though:
Timid
Life Orb
HP 116 / SPATK 140 / SPE 252
-Focus Blast
-Fire Blast
-Grass Knot
-Thunder

The HP allows him to stay in on Tyranitar and eat Pursuit, 2hko Suicune after eating a Surf, or a Swampert's Earthquake. He's not OHKO by any of those attacks even with Stealth Rock damage (Swamperts EQ does max 75.1%). However, he still has the offense to destroy things. Blissey, Snorlax, and any other Special Wall are still a problem, but that's why Vicitini has teammates like Machamp.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hmm what about a Charge Beam set? The accuracy side effect is mitigated and Victini could run something like Psycho Shock to get past Blissey. (Focus Blast can still work though)

Just thinking about that since a charge beam boost would be very helpful

ginganinja

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah but then Scarf Tar can pursuit you after. Also would'nt you run it on a CB set rather than specs?

MK Ultra

BOOGEYMAN
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
How can Victini know 5 moves at level 1? I assume this won't matter as it won't be caught that low or be breedable, but still, things like that should make sense in a game.

ginganinja

Basically I think it works that the earliest move gets deleted so I can assume that you need a move relearner to get Flame Bomb

Andy Snype

Mr. Music
Hmm, what about a CB set?

Victini @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature (+Atk -SAtk) or Jolly (+Spe -SAtk)
252 Atk/ 252 Speed/ 4 Defense (342 is divisible by 4, limiting its switch into SR)
--Flare Blitz
--Wild Bolt
--Double Edge
--U-Turn

Fairly simple set that tries to hit hard, although I doubt it will be successful since it speed ties with other base 100 pokemon, forcing it to run jolly for the Speed ties.

I could also see the possibility of a Bluff Expert Belt Set

Victini @ Expert Belt
Naive
252 Atk/ 180 Speed/ 76 Sp. Atk (or whatever spread it is that jirachi runs)
-- Fire Blast/Flare Blitz
-- Grass Knot/Brick Break
-- Wild Bolt/Thunder
-- U-Turn

Fire Blast/Flare Blitz for obvious STAB. U-Turn helps bluff a choice item if you use it early on. Grass Knot is there to hit the heavy bulky waters and Ground types. Brick Break is there should you use the specially based Spread but have issues with blissey. Wild Bolt/Thunder choice of opposing moves to hit bulky water types that aren't part ground.

How can Victini know 5 moves at level 1? I assume this won't matter as it won't be caught that low or be breedable, but still, things like that should make sense in a game.
These are just moves that Victini learns inherently. They're only accessible with heart scales and the move relearner.

Anyway, I just noticed that Victini gets Cheer-up, which can't be too bad on him. Like a Superachi, only more frail. He can be mixed with it, or just take advantage of the ATK or Sp.ATK boost

Victini @ Leftovers / Life Orb
Hasty
252 ATK / 76 SP. ATK / 180 spe

- Fire Blast / Blaze Judgement
- Cheer Up
- Brick Break / Shadow Ball
- Thunder / Grass Knot

I have no ideas for the EV's, but max ATK with one cheer-up does guarantee a 2HKO on 252/252 Blissey, even without Stealth Rock up. Thunder becomes a decent option to hit bulky waters (disregarding Swampert) at 91 percent accuracy, and is probably the best option when paired with Fire and Fighting to handle the candle ghost.

Also, what about his fire dynamic punch? Purgatory. Assuming that his ability grants him a 30% accuracy increase, the move would be at 65%, a tad better than hypnosis. That paired with a STAB 100 BP move that guarantees burn CAN'T be that bad, right?

On the first set, Psychic seems like a perfectly good move in the last slot. Gets solid damage on a wide range of targets, and most things that can switch in on it are hit hard by Fire Blast or Focus Blast.

The base 100 in everything "pixies" have never been very great at sweeping, and I feel Victini is only slightly better. It has a huge attacking movepool, sure, but it lacks recovery, is weak to SR, doesn't learn trick, and (shockingly) does not learn calm mind. The accurate wisp is awesome, but it seems like Victini was made for double/ triple battles, and that's where it will really shine and surpass Jirachi and Celebi.

The sets are inventive, though, so hats off to you guys. But really, I feel Victini won't be threat in single battles until it has access to that special move.

On the first set, Psychic seems like a perfectly good move in the last slot. Gets solid damage on a wide range of targets, and most things that can switch in on it are hit hard by Fire Blast or Focus Blast.
Could run Psycho Shock instead of Psychic to help prevent getting walled.

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Victini seems like a great LO Sweeper, being able to use Thunder, Focus Blast, and Fire Blast without fear is great. With Ninetails support, this thing can beast though teams. Even if his Sp.Atk is mediocre(299 with Timid), Life Orb and 120-Power attacks make up for that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)