Golurk

I didn't see a thread for this Pokemon, so I made one, I apologise if there is one. Bear with me for write ups, I'm new to the thing.Note that this thread is for general discussion of the Pokemon, not whether it will be banned or not.

Yes it's shiny. It's amazing when shiny. But let's get to the point.

Goruggo's important info:

Typing:

Base Stats:
HP: 89
Attack: 124
Defence: 80
Spec Attk: 55
Spec. Def: 80
Speed: 55

Abilities:
1) Iron Fist
2) Klutz
3) Dream World No Guard

Level Up Moveset
Lv1: Pound
Lv1: Astonish
Lv1: Defense Curl
Lv1: Mud-Slap
Lv5: Mud-Slap
Lv9: Rollout
Lv13: Shadow Punch
Lv17: Iron Defense
Lv21: Mega Punch
Lv25: Magnitude
Lv30: DynamicPunch
Lv35: Night Shade
Lv40: Curse
Lv43: [M484]
Lv50: Earthquake
Lv60: Hammer Arm
Lv70: Focus Punch

TM/HM Moves
TM06 - Toxic
TM10 - Hidden Power
TM13 - Ice Beam
TM15 - Hyper Beam
TM17 - Protect
TM18 - Rain Dance
TM19 - Telekinesis
TM20 - Safeguard
TM21 - Frustration
TM22 - Solar Beam
TM24 - Thunderbolt
TM26 - Earthquake
TM27 - Return
TM29 - Psychic
TM30 - Shadow Ball
TM31 - Brick Break
TM32 - Double Team
TM39 - Rock Tomb
TM42 - Facade
TM44 - Rest
TM46 - Thief
TM47 - Ankle Sweep
TM48 - Troll
TM52 - Focus Blast
TM56 - Fling
TM57 - Charge Beam
TM68 - Giga Impact
TM69 - Rock Polish
TM70 - Flash
TM71 - Stone Edge
TM74 - Gyro Ball
TM78 - Smooth Over
TM80 - Rock Slide
TM86 - Grass Knot
TM87 - Swagger
TM90 - Substitute
TM91 - Flash Cannon
TM94 - Rock Smash
HM02 - Fly
HM04 - Strength

Notable Moves
Earthquake, Dynamic Punch, Stone Edge, Rock Polish, Substitute, Focus Punch, Shadow Punch

Resistances and Weaknesses
x2 Resists:

x4 Resists:

Immunities:

Weaknesses:

Pros and cons

One of the first things that sticks out for Goruggo is that base 124 attack stat. Other than that, Goruggo stats are a little lacking, especially in special attack and speed. It's defences aren't too bad, but they won't be winning awards defensively.

So how does Goruggo stack up against attack types? First things first, it is immune to Normal attacks and also Fighting and Electric, two common attacking types on the standard team. It's also resistant to Bug and Rock, two more common attacking types. It's also x4 resistant to Poison, which doesn't see much use due to the lack of SE. This gives Goruggo notable resistances and immunites to Explosion, the new Electric powerhouse moves and Despiration and Stealth Rock.

This is where the good news ends though and the bad news start. Goruggo is weak to Water, Ice, Grass, Ghost and Dark. All of those types can be found on the standard team, which hinders the amount of Pokemon Goruggo can switch in on and threaten since it's defences and speed are poor. Most notably, it's weak to Pursuit, meaning Tyranitar, Scizor and friends can come in and scare Goruggo out, though they have to watch out for Dynamic Punch. Goruggo is also prone to Spikes and Toxic Spikes, limiting it's switch in opportunites further.

Ability wise, it has 3 options, Iron Fist, Klutz and No Guard.

1) Iron Fist Iron Fist would be all right on a SubPunch for Goruggo, since Goruggo has access to a few punches. It also beefs up the power of Shadow Punch to 108, as well as increase Focus Punch to 180 BP. Unfortunately, it does not get the elemental punches.
2) Klutz No Trick = no go. If Pokemon Gray Tutors bring around Trick for Goruggo, then Klutz may be an option.
3) No Guard Probably the best option for Goruggo, this ensures you get an accurate Dynamic Punch and Stone Edge.

A few sets I thought up of.

SubPunch
Goruggo@Leftovers
Iron Fist
Adamant (+Attk, - Spec Attack)
252 HP / 252 Attk / 4 Spe
-Substitute
-Focus Punch
-Shadow Punch
-Stone Edge/Toxic/Protect

This set aims to abuse Iron Fisted Focus Punches and dish out some damage towards switch ins. Goruggo has the added bonus of being able to hit Fighting resists with a super effective Shadow Punch. While Goruggo may not be able to produce 101HP Subs, one has to remember it is a ghost type and therefore, Seismic Toss does not affect it. Stone Edge and Toxic are mostly fillers, with Stone Edge hitting flyers, Toxic crippling walls permanently and Protect used for scouting and additional healing.

Choice Band
Goruggo@Choice Band
No Guard
Adamant (+Attk, -Spec Attk)
252 HP / 252 Attk / 4 Spe
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Dynamic Punch
-Shadow Punch

Slapping a Choice Band on Goruggo nets it 571 Attack. Couple that with excellant coverage and you've got a hard hitting Pokemon. Earthquake will serve as your main STAB, with Stone Edge taking care of resistors. Dynamic Punch can be thrown on to hit Dark types super effectively on the switch, and also causes confusion, making Goruggo harder to hit. Shadow Punch may seem a bit redundant and lacking in power, but Goruggo does not offer much outside of the three moves already suggested.

Rock Polish
Goruggo@Life Orb/Liechi Berry
No Guard
Adamant (+Attk, - Spec Attk)/Jolly (+Spe, - Spec Attk)
252 Attk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
-Rock Polish
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Dynamic Punch/Shadow Punch/Substitute

This Goruggo boosts it's speed with Rock Polish and attempts to sweep late game. One of the attractive qualities of Goruggo as a Rock Polisher is that it is immune to Thunderwave thanks to it's Ground typing. Earthquake and Stone Edge form the core of your attacking moves. The last move is up to preferance, Dynamic Punch is able to confuse your opponent, making it slightly harder to hit Goruggo. Shadow Punch can be used to hit Gengar though it should only be used with Jolly so you can outrun Scarf versions of Gengar and friends. Substitute should only be used in tandem with Liechi Berry, but it does have the bonus of blocking status. With Adamant, you outrun Scarf Heatran after a boost, but Jolly allows you to outrun Gengar as previously stated.

Anti-lead - Suggested by saxking
Goruggo@ leftovers/life orb
Adamant/Impish
252 HP/252 Atk/6 Def
No Guard

-Dynamic Punch
-Earthquake/smooth over
-Shadow Punch
-Thief/Whatever

Goruggo is a great anti-lead. Goruggo can abuse the no-guard dynamic punch combo, and he can do it quite well due to his high attack stat. Goruggo is also immune to fake out, explosion, and dynamic punch. Goruggo is 4x resistant to U-turn, which is found on many leads. Goruggo has considerable bulk and can survive a few hits as well. The only down side is the lack of physical ghost STAB to hit ghost switch ins. But STAB shadow punch coming rom a 124 attack stat is still going to really hurt ghost type switch ins. Dynamic punch and Shadow Punch have perfect coverage as well. For strong STAB, use Earthquake after the other lead is impaired. If you want a lead that functions somewhat like an icy wind lead, use smooth over to break their sash and then kill on the next turn. This may be unnecessary with Dynamic punch. Thief is another support move, but if you use it, you can't use an item. It's essentially a lesser Knock off, but it works well on a lead. Remember that if you are using Thief, make sure that Goruggo does not use an Item.

Trick Room Sweeper Suggested by Pokemon.
Goruggo@Life Orb
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Hp, 4 Def
Nature: Brave
Moves:

Dynamic Punch
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Shadow Punch

Make sure to only use this when you have Trick Room support. When coupled with a 0 Speed IV and a Brave nature, Goruggo reaches a sluggish 103 Speed, enough to 'outrun' Rhyperior and friends, and hit them hard with a STAB Earthquake. Earthquake and Shadow Punch serve as your STAB attacks, while Dynamic Punch and Stone Edge are there for coverage.

Goruggo@Leftovers No Guard suggest by UltiMario
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
-DynamicPunch
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Toxic/Protect

DPunch for confusion hax, Earthquake for powerful STAB, Stone Edge for Coverage, Toxic to help hurt walls a bit, maybe Protect for scouting for attacks... It's just a standard set to throw on him for him to act a good defensive role on the team and hit back hard.

Goruguu @Custap Berry suggest by King of Harts
Brave (0 speed IV)
HP 252 / ATK 252 / SPDEF 4
-DynamicPunch
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Shadow Punch

A different lead set to saxking's suggestion.

Personal opinion
I don't think Goruggo, the more 'offensive' Dusknoir will be taking the metagame by storm, and will probably be relegated to NU, or maybe low UU. It's a shame that it's slow and it's special attack is unusable when it's special movepool is great. It's physical movepool is not great, but's usable and good enough, albeit predictable. It's also weak to some common priority moves (Aqua jet, Ice Shard and Sucker Punch), which hinder sweeping attempts.

Enough about what I think though, what do you, as a community think? Discuss.

Unfortunately, it seems that Thunder Wave affects ground-types now, which kinda sucks...but still, I'm digging this guy as a subpuncher.

He also gets Rock Polish, which may help greatly with his sweeping capabilities.

Unfortunately, it seems that Thunder Wave affects ground-types now, which kinda sucks...but still, I'm digging this guy as a subpuncher.

Do we know this for fact, I heard that it can go through abilities like volt asorb but ground immunity still functioned.

That rumor was disproved.

He seems a lot like Machamp, but with a different type and some different secondary moves. Seems to me like he'll be damn good, although he might not hold up too well in OU with how much stronger it's getting. We'll have to see, though.

It's strange how it gets ALL the good special moves with that useless special attack... However, I really like this guy. I think it's main selling point will be countering certain threats. Sandstorm teams (yeah, I have my nickname for a reason) will greatyl appreciate a Fighting AND sandstorm immunity, so I can see this thing becoming a good friend of Tyranitar. I see it switching into many attack and landing a hit as the opponent switches out. It is not so much built for setting up, imo. That said, I'd go with something like EQ/SE/Hammer Arm/Toxic and No Guard (No Guard Toxic is great). It really lacks some sort of recovery, though. It doesn't even get Drain Punch (which would be great)...

EDIT: Btw, does he really get FLY? That'd be kinda interesting, at least on a Iron Fist set. lol

Upstart

Copy Cat
I love this thing sweet typing and just great appearance. However his stats and movepool are slightly underpar; he will definately find a nitch in lower tiers but who knows he great typing could bring him up.

He also gets Rock Polish, which may help greatly with his sweeping capabilities.
This was proven false. Thunder-Wave now effects Pokemon like Jolteon (with Volt Absorb), and not Ground.

I think Rock Polish/Substitute + 3 Attacks will work the best. After one Rock Polish, he can outspeed a neutral-natured, scarfed base 100.

I think Rock Polish/Substitute + 3 Attacks will work the best. After one Rock Polish, he can outspeed a neutral-natured, scarfed base 100.
Maybe. Maybe not. I just listed a few sets I thought could work for my new favourite Pokémon. :P

Best set

Anti lead

goruggo@ leftovers/life orb
Adamant/Impish
252 HP/252 Atk/6 Def
No Guard

-Dynamic Punch
-Earthquake/smooth over
-Shadow Punch
-Thief/Whatever

Goruggo is a great anti-lead. Goruggo can abuse the no-guard dynamic punch combo, and he can do it quite well due to his high attack stat. Goruggo is also immune to fake out, explosion, and dynamic punch. Goruggo is 4x resistant to U-turn, which is found on many leads. Goruggo has considerable bulk and can survive a few hits as well. The only down side is the lack of physical ghost STAB to hit ghost switch ins. But STAB shadow punch coming rom a 124 attack stat is still going to really hurt ghost type switch ins. Dynamic punch and Shadow Punch have perfect coverage as well. For strong STAB, use Earthquake after the other lead is impaired. If you want a lead that functions somewhat like an icy wind lead, use smooth over to break their sash and then kill on the next turn. This may be unnecessary with Dynamic punch. Thief is another support move, but if you use it, you can't use an item. It's essentially a lesser Knock off, but it works well on a lead.

@Corruptodile. I was just about to start a thread about Goruggo, but u beat me to it.

Best set

Anti lead

goruggo@ leftovers/life orb
Adamant/Impish
252 HP/252 Atk/6 Def
No Guard

-Dynamic Punch
-Earthquake/smooth over
-Shadow Punch
-Thief/Whatever

Goruggo is a great anti-lead. Goruggo can abuse the no-guard dynamic punch combo, and he can do it quite well due to his high attack stat. Goruggo is also immune to fake out, explosion, and dynamic punch. Goruggo is 4x resistant to U-turn, which is found on many leads. Goruggo has considerable bulk and can survive a few hits as well. The only down side is the lack of physical ghost STAB to hit ghost switch ins. But STAB shadow punch coming rom a 124 attack stat is still going to really hurt ghost type switch ins. Dynamic punch and Shadow Punch have perfect coverage as well. For strong STAB, use Earthquake after the other lead is impaired. If you want a lead that functions somewhat like an icy wind lead, use smooth over to break their sash and then kill on the next turn. This may be unnecessary with Dynamic punch. Thief is another support move, but if you use it, you can't use an item. It's essentially a lesser Knock off, but it works well on a lead.

@Corruptodile. I was just about to start a thread about Goruggo, but u beat me to it.

Ahh sorry about that. I didn't see the Anti-lead set though, I'll add it in.

I'm not sure how you can have an anti-lead set on there already. Anti-leads are entirely based on what common leads are ruling the roost, and we have no clue how this will pan out at all. Saying that he is immune to dynamic punch is hardly relevant, Machamp probably isn't going to be a common lead any more. I have the same opinion regarding fake out and explosion, but less so since those are a bit more common.

That said, he probably has the best utility as on offensive spin blocker. SubPunch seems perfect.

I guess you're right, we have no way of really knowing that it is an anti-lead. But I feel that this thing will be tough to counter, and it will be able to counter most other leads, even though we don't know the most common leads yet. I think that Machamp leads will rise in popularity, however, because with the aiming mark, nothing can switch into Machamp's Dynamic Punch without getting confused. I still feel that fake out and explosion will be ever present in leads, simply because no matter what they're still great moves. His role as a spin blocker is even less usefull because of the Aiming mark.
Although SubPunch with iron fist is great, I think it will be outclassed by Roopushin, who has Iron Fist, STAB, and higher attack.
I think Rock Polish +3 moves is the best moveset besides the anti-lead.

I think that Machamp leads will rise in popularity, however, because with the aiming mark, nothing can switch into Machamp's Dynamic Punch without getting confused.
Aiming Mark does not work that way. The initial assumptions as to its function have been disproved.

This poke seems pretty much a copy of Machamp stat wise, but slightly weaker and less bulkier.

Of course, the typing is entirely different. This poke has 3 immunities, which is good (too bad it doesn't resist that much, and has a whopping 5 weaknesses).

Sub Punch must be it's best set.

Lol I like him, I hope he has something to bring to the table, he IS the only ground ghost typing so at least he that goin for him.

Ghost Fighting type would be so bad ass.

No TR sets for this slow ass guy? I'm disappointed in you guys...loljk

Goruggo@Life Orb
ABility: No Guard
Moves:

Dynamic Punch
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Shadow Punch

Basic TR set. Lowest speed as possible, No Guard and D-Punch+Stone Edge is absolutely awesome. EQ and Shadow Punch are STABs.

on the anti-lead set, if you are going to use theif, dont have an item.
Thanks for pointing that out. I'll edit it in.

No TR sets for this slow ass guy? I'm disappointed in you guys...loljk

Goruggo@Life Orb
ABility: No Guard
Moves:

Dynamic Punch
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Shadow Punch

Basic TR set. Lowest speed as possible, No Guard and D-Punch+Stone Edge is absolutely awesome. EQ and Shadow Punch are STABs.
How did I not see this? First write=disaster =P. Thanks, I'll add it to the sets list.

Useless move competitively. Note that it gets No Gurad too, so you could use a non punching set as well. Shame it has a bad Spl Atk, or you have a great mixed sweeper.

I cant imagine a metal Ghost flying around here and there, something like Robotan I guess:pimp:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)