Beartic

I saw a bunch of people doing these, and thought I'd try one myself. I apologize if this already has a thread, but I didn't see one.

#614 Beartic

TYPE: Ice

TYPE MATCHUPS:

x0.5 - Ice

x1 - Normal, Water, Electric, Grass, Poison, Ground, Flying, Psychic, Bug, Ghost, Dragon, Dark

x2 - Steel, Fighting, Fire, Rock

STATS:
HP: 95
Atk: 110
Def: 80
SpAtk: 70
SpDef: 80
Speed: 50

As you can see from the stats, Beartic is leaned toward being a physical attacker, with an excellent 110 Attack stat. It has respectable 95/80/80 Defenses, but with the multitude of heavy attackers and an unfortunate Ice-typing, meaning a weakness to Stealth Rock, it probably will not be able to fill defensive roles.

ABILITIES:

Snow Cloak: Evasion increases by 20% in hailstorm.

Swift Swim: (Dream World) Speed doubles in heavy rain.

Most people are probably going to pick Swift Swim due to the prevalence of rain in Generation IV. If you're going with a hail team, then Snow Cloak may be the better choice. In general, though, Swift Swim is probably going to be seen more.

MOVEPOOL:

Level Up:
-Superpower
-Growl
-Icy Wind
-Powder Snow
-Bide
Lv. 5: Growl
Lv. 9: Bide
Lv. 13: Icy Wind
Lv. 17: Fury Swipes
Lv. 21: Brine
Lv. 25: Endure
Lv. 29: Swagger
Lv. 33: Slash
Lv. 36: Flail
Lv. 37: Icicle Drop
Lv. 41: Rest
Lv. 45: Blizzard
Lv. 53: Hail
Lv. 59: Thrash
Lv. 66: Sheer Cold

TM/HM:
TM01: Claw Sharpen
TM05: Roar
TM06: Toxic
TM07: Hail
TM08: Bulk Up
TM10: Hidden Power
TM12: Taunt
TM13: Ice Beam
TM14: Blizzard
TM15: Hyper Beam
TM17: Protect
TM18: Rain Dance
TM21: Frustration
TM27: Return
TM28: Dig
TM31: Brick Break
TM32: Double Team
TM39: Rock Tomb
TM40: Aerial Ace
TM42: Facade
TM44: Rest
TM45: Attract
TM48: Sing A Round
TM49: Echo Voice
TM52: Focus Blast
TM56: Fling
TM65: Shadow Claw
TM68: Giga Impact
TM71: Stone Edge
TM75: Swords Dance
TM78: Level Ground
TM79: Ice Breath
TM80: Rock Slide
TM86: Grass Knot
TM87: Swagger
TM90: Substitute
TM94: Rock Smash
HM01: Cut
HM03: Surf
HM04: Strength
HM06: Dive (Dive is an HM again :D)

Egg Moves:
Yawn, Avalanche, Encore, Ice Punch, Night Slash, Assurance, Sleep Talk, Focus Punch

Pre-Evo Only:
Charm (lol)

Gen V Moves:
Icicle Drop - Ice, Physical, 85 BP, 90 Acc, 10 PP; May cause flinching
Claw Sharpen - Dark, Other, 15 PP; Increases Accuracy and Attack by one stage
Sing A Round - Normal, Special, 60 BP, 100 Acc, 15 PP; If everyone sings together, its power is increased in successive turns
Echo Voice - Normal, Special, 40 BP, 100 Acc, 15 PP; If used by a Pokemon or its teammate each turn, the move's power increases
Level Ground - Ground, Physical, 60 BP, 100 Acc, 20 PP; Hits everything nearby. May lower foe's Speed.
Ice Breath - Ice, Special, 40 BP, 90 Acc, 10 PP; 100% critical hit

POSSIBLE SETS:
Some sets I thought up off the top of my head. They may or may not be viable, but that's for you to decide.

Choice Band
Beartic@Choice Band
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Att, 4 Def
-Avalanche
-Night Slash
-Superpower
-Stone Edge

Beartic with maxed Attack and Choice Band will hit a 525 Attack stat, which is no laughing matter. 252 Attack is for maximum impact, and Beartic is so slow anyway, it's almost a waste to invest in Speed, so its respectable HP is maxed out as well. Since Beartic is so slow, it is almost guaranteed to go last, and therefore Avalanche's power will be doubled. Superpower, Night Slash and Return were chosen just because they were strong moves, so feel free to suggest anything else.

Suggested by Lee:
Beartic @ Life Orb
Swift Swim
Jolly / Adamant
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Encore
- Swords Dance
- Icicle Drop
- Superpower

Encore from 438 Spe is great for supporting the team and buying Tsunbeaa opportunities to use Swords Dance.

or

Beartic @ Leftovers
Swift Swim
Adamant
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Encore
- Subsitute
- Icicle Drop
- Focus Punch

SubPuncher with pretty good coverage...once again probably only worth using in Rain to abuse that super-fast Encore although it does beg the question 'what are you gonna be Encoring when you have one resistance, are crippled by any form of status and are too slow to Encore most stat-boosters?'
Also, by pkmn-taicho321:
A Rainy Day in the Antarctic
Jolly Tsunbeaa@ Life Orb
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Hp
Swift Swim
~ Icicle Drop
~ Brick Break
~ Stone Edge / Rock Slide
~ Shadow Claw

-gets great coverage, hitting all dragons not named Kingdra SE, getting some nice hits on steel types (preferably ones without bullet punch), knocking Gyarados a new one (not to mention Hiridaruma, Zapdos, and Borutorosu), as well as putting some dents in those new ghosts. It also hit all of the Rotom-A's for at least neutral.
Bulk Up Sweeper
Beartic@Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP, 40 Atk, 100 Def, 116 SpDef
-Bulk Up
-Avalanche
-Superpower
-Roar/Toxic

Beartic gets access to Bulk Up, which can boost its Defense as well as its Attack to awesome levels and actually make an Ice-type *gasp* BULKY!!! The EVs are maxed HP for bulkiness, a bit of Atk, and then split between Defense and Sp. Defense, with more for SpD, since it's not getting boosted. Bulk Up is the core of the set, and Roar for forcing anything it can't deal with out. Toxic is an alternative to Roar. Again, Beartic is so slow, Speed investment is useless, so Avalanche is almost guaranteed 180 power (factoring STAB). Superpower's stat drops can be afforded because of Bulk Up. I am a bit tentative of the EV spread, so again, feel free to make any suggestions.

By SuperJOCKE:
Tsunbeaa
EV: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
~ Substitute
~ Icicle Drop
~ Focus Punch
~ Swords Dance / Bulk Up
Ability: Snow Cloak
Item: Bright Powder
Basically played like a Cacturne in sandstorm, only with a polar bear under hail.

Thoughts?! Discussions?! This is a freakin' polar bear, people. How awesome is that?

And it doesn't have access to Earthquake? Oh GF, really?
I have a feeling this is a watered down version of Ursaring.

Destiny Warrior

also known as Darkwing_Duck
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Assurance's power doubles if your opponent takes damage earlier in the turn, i.e: entry hazards, in doubles by your partner. Not if you take damage.

I had high expectations for this guy as i really like him, i was almost sure it had acces to ice shard bu it felt really dissapointed to find out it doesn't.

The only way i see our dear Polar bear outside of a Swift Swim set is by using TR as it's speed is one of the worst in the game.

They're good sets (I love the bulk up one), but I about the rain sweeper:
You need to put more emphasis on switching in to Tsunbeaa after having another Pokemon set up a Rain Dance.
It wouldn't work well by itself. You put no EVs towards its defenses. You have to use up a turn to set up the Rain Dance, so by the time you start attacking (especially if you switched in), it might either be at low HP or KO'd.
So in that situation I don't feel like a Life Orb would work very well... I would suggest a Liechi berry.
However, if you switch in to Tsunbeaa after a KO and force a switch out, you're pretty much set.

I'm not seeing any problems with it. It's just that the description wasn't very descriptive, and led me to believe that it was a bad set at first, spurring me to type this.
(Sorry if I'm too critical. This is kind of my first post)

cookie

my wish like everyone else is to be seen
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
nobody's gonna use this: it's slow as shit and being an ice type it's riddled with weaknesses so it can't switch in on anything or afford to go second

and there are better swift swimmers out there

Don Honchkrorleone

Happy Qwilfish the nightmare
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Assurance? Go Night Slash. Higher BP and can land a critical hit often. Icicle Drop is better than Avalanche too (at least for me).

A Claw Sharpen set would also be good.

Albine Yogi sharpen its claws to steal Yellowstone's goods

Tsunbeaa @Life Orb
Jolly Nature/Adamant Nature
Ability: Swift Swim
Evs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe

~ Icicle Drop
~ Stone Edge
~ Brick Break
~ Claw Sharpen

To bad it doesn't get EQ. Raise your Atk and Accuracy with Claw Sharpen, meaning that your STAB and Stone Edge will miss less than often. Brick Break is for coverage and doesn't lower your Atk and Def, unlike Superpower. Abuse it in a Drizzle Politoed team.

P.S.: Great commentaries, Lucario_Skywalker ;)

I have a feeling this is a watered down version of Ursaring.
Just because it's a bear doesn't mean it's a watered down version of Ursaring. Its movepool and abilities (and typing, in case you hadn't noticed) make it TOTALLY different from Ursaring.

The thing I find incredibly cool about this guy is his ability to play both stall, on a hail team with Snow Cloak, and offensive, on a rain team with Swift Swim. His versatility is really just...cool.

With polar bears being one of my favorite animals, I feel disappointed by its stats. I mean, why is it so damn slow! Its 95/80/80 defences are ok, but SR hurts it and having weakeness to common move types. The only good time I see using this is for Rain Dance teams where you run off of 436 speed with high attack power.

ghost

formerly goldenghost
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
LC Leader
The problem here is that Mamoswine almost completely outclasses tsunbeaa-his only advantage is Swift Swim. Mamoswine has superior typing, speed, HP, and most importantly, attack.

ghost

formerly goldenghost
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
LC Leader
That was kind of meant to be roped in with the superior typing part.

Oh yeah, Mamoswine gets Thick Fat now, rendering him neutral to Fire attacks and resistance to the ever-lurking Ice Beam. YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
OP said:
Tsunbeaa with maxed Attack and Choice Band will hit a 591 Attack stat
525 actually. You seem to have calculated it as though he had 130 base Atk. The interesting thing about this Pokemon is that he's one of only two non-Water types to possess Swift Swim and his STAB allows him to destroy Grass types - the eternal nemesis of generic Swift Swim sweepers. He also has an incredibly fast Encore in the Rain. There may be some niche use on rain teams because of that but I doubt it...this guy is such a missed opportunity. When I saw Swift Swim, I immediately started scanning his movepool for a usable physical Water attack to use as a psuedo-STAB under Rain and was dissapointed that the best he had to offer was Dive. Then I realised he didn't even have Earthquake. Then I stopped caring. :(

I had high expectations for this guy as i really like him, i was almost sure it had acces to ice shard bu it felt really dissapointed to find out it doesn't.

The only way i see our dear Polar bear outside of a Swift Swim set is by using TR as it's speed is one of the worst in the game.
Icicle Drop is way better. Sure he's slow, but thats why he'll do best on a Rain team. This set:

A Rainy Day in the Antarctic
Jolly Tsunbeaa@ Life Orb
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Hp
Swift Swim
~ Icicle Drop
~ Brick Break
~ Stone Edge / Rock Slide
~ Shadow Claw

-gets great coverage, hitting all dragons not named Kingdra SE, getting some nice hits on steel types (preferably ones without bullet punch), knocking Gyarados a new one (not to mention Hiridaruma, Zapdos, and Borutorosu), as well as putting some dents in those new ghosts. It also hit all of the Rotom-A's for at least neutral.

I'd still try to work a Claw Sharpen in every Tsunbeaa set. If he comes in on a generic Grass type trying to counter your Rainy antics, he should be able to get that Claw Sharpen in to unleash a world of hurt. It'll give his moves perfect accuracy, he can't really afford a miss.

I was initially thinking of a slightly diffrent choice band set (It had the same moveset, funnily enough) with an EV spread of: 252 Attack; 124 Special Defense; 124 Physical Defense; 8HP, but, thinking about, your set seems much more logical. I'll try mine, but most likely will fail miserably.

Well its outclassed by Mamo as a general Ice type Ou Utility thing and outclassed by like 50 other Rain sweepers as a uhh..Rain sweeper. >_<

Edited the original post to fix mistakes and put suggestions. Keep this discussion going! What kind of niche could this guy get? How can he avoid being outclassed by Mamoswine and practically every other rain sweeper out there? Can he even do that?

Well, it's the only Swift Swimmer with Stab Ice attacks, and unlike Mamoswine, it can actually boost it's stats.

I always new that a Polar Bear Pokemon would get bad typing.

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
On hail teams, with help of Abomasnow this might work very well:

Tsunbeaa
EV: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
~ Substitute
~ Icicle Drop
~ Focus Punch
~ Swords Dance / Bulk Up
Ability: Snow Cloak
Item: Bright Powder

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)