Mamoswine

#473 Mamoswine
(Ground/Ice)
110/130/80/70/60/80

Weak x2: Fire, Steel, Water, Grass, Fighting
Resists x2: Poison
Immune to: Electric

(** With Thick Fat, Mamoswine resists Ice and has a neutrality to Fire)

Oblivious: This Pokemon cannot be under the Attract condition with this ability.

Snow Cloak: Raises this Pokemon's evasion during a hailstorm by one level.

Thick Fat: Fire and Ice type moves deal 50% damage. (Dream World)

Icicle Drop: 85 BP/90 ACC, may cause the opponent to flinch.

Earthquake:
100 BP/100 ACC.

Level Ground: 60 BP/100 ACC, lowers the opponents speed.

Ice Shard: 40 BP/100 ACC, +1 priority.

Code:
[B]Level Up:[/B]
AncientPower
Peck
Odor Sleuth
Mud Sport
Powder Snow
Mud-Slap
Endure
Mud Bomb
Hail
Ice Fang
Take Down
Double Hit
[B]Earthquake[/B]
Mist
Blizzard
Scary Face

[B]Learnable TMs:[/B]
TM05 - Roar
TM06 - Toxic
TM07 - Hail
TM10 - Hidden  Power
TM13 - Ice Beam
TM14 - Blizzard
TM15 - Hyper Beam
TM16 - Light  Screen
TM17 - Protect
TM18 - Rain Dance
TM21 - Frustration
[B]TM26 -  Earthquake[/B]
TM27 - Return
TM28 - Dig
TM32 - Double Team
TM33 -  Reflect
TM37 - Sandstorm
TM39 - Rock Tomb
TM42 - Facade
TM44 - Rest
TM45 - Attract
TM48 - Sing A Round
TM68 - Giga Impact
[B]TM71 - Stone Edge[/B]
[B]TM78 - Level Ground[/B]
TM80 - Rock Slide
TM87 - Swagger
TM90 -  Substitute
TM94 - Rock Smash
HM04 - Strength[COLOR=Sienna][COLOR=Black][COLOR=DeepSkyBlue][COLOR=Black][SIZE=2]

[B]Egg Moves:[/B]
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]Take Down
Bite
Body Slam
AncientPower
Mud Shot
Icicle Spear
Double-Edge
Fissure
Curse
Mud Shot
Avalanche
Stealth Rock
[B]Icicle Drop[/B]

[B]Pre-evo Moves:
[/B]Icy Wind
Fury Attack
Amnesia
Tackle
[B]Ice Shard[/B]

Alright, so, Mamoswine has been consistently OU in Gen IV due to a great attack stat and incredible coverage, but in Gen V he might be more appealing than ever. A combination of Ice Shard and Level Ground means that he can either drop his opponents speed on the switch in or just murder them with Ice Shard. Not only that, but he finally has a reasonably powerful physical ice move, with 20 more BP than Ice Fang.

So let's look at some potential sets.

Mamoswine @ Choice Band
152 HP/252 ATK/100 SpD; Adamant Nature
Ability: Thick Fat
-Earthquake
-Icicle Drop
-Ice Shard/Level Ground
-Stone Edge

Mamoswine has an incredible STAB combination in Ice and Ground, which is resisted by very few pokemon, and hits super effective on Flying, Grass, Rock, Steel, Electric, Fire, Poison, Dragon and Ground, that's 9 out of 17 types. More than half of them. That kind of coverage combined with 130 base attack is massive. With Thick Fat, a set like this is actually able to survive a Fire Blast from Choice Scarf Heatran, though it will still deal a significant amount of damage, and Mamoswine is by no means a great way of dealing with Heatran, but more Heatran can no longer switch into Ice Shard and threaten to kill back.

Mamoswine @ Expert Belt
152 HP/252 ATK/100 SpD; Adamant Nature
Ability: Thick Fat
-Level Ground/Earthquake
-Icicle Drop
-Ice Shard
-Stone Edge

Level Ground and Ice Shard are a great asset to this set, shutting down things that are faster than Mamoswine either on the switch in or just... whenever. Icicle Drop hits SE on bulkier flying types bar and the one's that aren't hit SE by Icicle Drop will be taken care of by Stone Edge, like Gyarados. With Super Effective hits on 11 out of 17 types, Mamoswine makes great use of Expert Belt.

So with all that, Mamoswine hits Flying, Ground, Rock AND Steel for Super Effective, as well as Fire, all of which seem to be integral types in our theoretical Gen V metagame.

Feel free to submit more sets and discuss. The one's I've written so far are under the assumption that dream world abilities are breedable.

Thank God Mamoswine got its physical ice move. I was getting reallly tired of Ice Fang.

Also, I see you like Level Ground a lot, but the 60BP is a huge drop from the 100BP you get from EQ. And honestly, why assure a 2 or 3HKO with Level Ground instead of just going for the OHKO with an EQ?

Eh, I guess I see your point. I didn't really put alot of thought into what exactly Level Ground would be slowing down. Ahahaha

Icicle Drop is an egg move, and Thick Fat is a Dreamworld ability. While we're not sure if those are compatible, I'm inclined to believe the combination is illegal.

Only problem I see here is that Icicle Drop is on movesets with Thick Fat as his ability. We currently don't know if Dream World abilities can be bred onto egg moves unfortunately.

EDIT: Ninja'd. lol

Thick Fat is a major improvement to a great Pokemon. It really helps Mamoswine use it's great HP stat. Boltbeam resistance is awesome; Mamo joins the Lanturn club.

In the OP, how could you possibly forget that Mamoswine destroys Dragons, the most overused Pokemon of all?

In the 4th gen I ran Superpower on Mamo so he wasn't completely useless against Bronzong.

It might not be compatible with Thick Fat though, if abilities can't be passed down.

Icicle Drop is an egg move, and Thick Fat is a Dreamworld ability. While we're not sure if those are compatible, I'm inclined to believe the combination is illegal.
Assuming it can get both, it'll be awesome. Even if not, thick fat would be the better choice. I'd rather use ice fang and thick fat over the other options.

I would also like to note that Mamoswine is now one of a select few Pokemon that still have Stealth Rock in their movepool. The other are Golem, Steelix, Gigaisu, Iwaparesu (woot, personal fave), Sudowoodo, Forretress, Skarmory, Tyranitar, Aggron, Cradily, Probopass, Nattorei, and Kirikizan. Looking at these, we can slice out a couple or the longer shots, but it still leaves us with a possible effective 7-9 Stealth Rockers. Mamoswine stands out due to have a decent speed stat, officially the new fastest Stealth Rocker in the game (take that Aerodactyl!!). Thunder Wave being null and void is helpful here as well. He also has priority, and immuntiy to 2 common types of weather, making him a beastly new entrance hazard set-up guy. I can see his lead usage sky-rocketing from where it is now!

Mamoswine was meh in Gen 4 except for fulfilling a very specific niche as a Dragon check on a team. This was primarily thanks to Rotom-A's ubiquity. With a strong Ice-type move on its side, Rotom-A may be slightly more reticent to switch in.

Mamoswine was meh in Gen 4 except for fulfilling a very specific niche as a Dragon check on a team. This was primarily thanks to Rotom-A's ubiquity. With a strong Ice-type move on its side, Rotom-A may be slightly more reticent to switch in.
Except Rotom-H, Rotom-W and Rotom-F now resist Ice while still being immune to Ground.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'd rather use Ice Drop and one of its other abilities frankly. 85 base power Ice with Mamoswine is so f'ing epic-- it seriously fixes Mamo's only real weakness (too weak ice attacks). Too bad it looks like Superpower and Ice Drop are not compatible. :/

Resisting Boltbeam outweighs +20 BP on an Ice move IMO. More switching opportunities. There's always Avalanche.

I wish he could Crunch those damn Rotoms.

I would also like to note that Mamoswine is now one of a select few Pokemon that still have Stealth Rock in their movepool. The other are Golem, Steelix, Gigaisu, Iwaparesu (woot, personal fave), Sudowoodo, Forretress, Skarmory, Tyranitar, Aggron, Cradily, Probopass, Nattorei, and Kirikizan. Looking at these, we can slice out a couple or the longer shots, but it still leaves us with a possible effective 7-9 Stealth Rockers. Mamoswine stands out due to have a decent speed stat, officially the new fastest Stealth Rocker in the game (take that Aerodactyl!!). Thunder Wave being null and void is helpful here as well. He also has priority, and immuntiy to 2 common types of weather, making him a beastly new entrance hazard set-up guy. I can see his lead usage sky-rocketing from where it is now!
You can transfer gen 4 pokes to gen 5 and he also CAN get paralyzed by twave, it paralyzes ground types now too.

Resisting Boltbeam outweighs +20 BP on an Ice move IMO. More switching opportunities. There's always Avalanche.

Rotom formes lose their ghost typing in gen 5.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

+20 is huge. It's the difference between a good move and a bad move (read: a competitive-worthy and unworthy move)

+20 is huge. It's the difference between a good move and a bad move (read: a competitive-worthy and unworthy move)
But he's not really fast enough to sweep with it. For Weavile, it's great, but for Mamo, most of the time, Avalanche will out-damage it. Mamoswine needs Ice Resistance and Fire neutrality more than it needs Icicle Drop. It only resists Posion for crap's sake.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
But he's not really fast enough to sweep with it. For Weavile, it's great, but for Mamo, most of the time, Avalanche will out-damage it. Mamoswine needs Ice Resistance and Fire neutrality more than it needs Icicle Drop. It only resists Posion for crap's sake.
Mamoswine is fast enough to rampage with Earthquake, it's fast and tough enough to rampage with Ice Drop. Avalanche is pretty damn inconsistent, there's a reason it was barely seen in 4th Gen.

In case you didn't notice, you only pick up 1 resistance-- to Ice, which is usually paired with a type that can still thoroughly rape you (Water, Fighting, etc.). Sure you get a 1-up on Bolt-Beam, but honestly bolt beam is pretty uncommon. So now you resist Jolteon or Raikou's HP Ice-- whoopdie doo, they were hitting you harder with Shadow Ball anyway.

Mamoswine's biggest issue was not its defensive typing, and thick fat is only a slight improvement there anyway! It's biggest problem was always a lack of more powerful Ice moves.

Mamoswine is fast enough to rampage with Earthquake, it's fast and tough enough to rampage with Ice Drop. Avalanche is pretty damn inconsistent, there's a reason it was barely seen in 4th Gen.

In case you didn't notice, you only pick up 1 resistance-- to Ice, which is usually paired with a type that can still thoroughly rape you (Water, Fighting, etc.). Sure you get a 1-up on Bolt-Beam, but honestly bolt beam is pretty uncommon. So now you resist Jolteon or Raikou's HP Ice-- whoopdie doo, they were hitting you harder with Shadow Ball anyway.
Fast enough to rampage on whom? It's best move is Ice Shard for a reason.

Are there really any notable OHKO's that it gets with Icicle Drop that it would miss with Ice Shard/Avalanche/Blizzard? Flinch would be nice, if it were fast enough to flinch anything noteworthy.

Resisting Ice and Electric makes it a better pivot, for one. Not being weak to Fire certainly helps; with it's huge HP stat, Special Fire Moves are now much less threatening.

Adamant lucario, non-scarf heatran, kingdra, empoleon, and swampert, to name a few.

I'm not saying that it's better than ice shard, but it's extremely useful.

Adamant lucario, non-scarf heatran, kingdra, empoleon, and swampert, to name a few.

I'm not saying that it's better than ice shard, but it's extremely useful.
That's not a lot, really. I wouldn't call that a rampage. All it takes is Base 100 Speed and a STAB Fighting Move to end that rampage. Infernape. Yeah.

Two of those guys have double ice resistance. And +2 ExtremeSpeed from Luke does a number on Mamo, not to mention his STAB Bullet Punch, which is seen more and more nowadays.

Icicle drop is nice, but not good enough to pass up Thick Fat. I hope he gets both, of course.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)