Lv28: Aromatherapy
Lv32: Energy Ball
Lv36: Charm
Lv37: Wood Horn
Lv44: Nature Power
Lv52: Double-Edge
Lv60: Solarbeam

[I][B]Wood Horn[/B]: Physical Grass PP: 10 Power: 75 / Accuracy: 100 
Effect: If this attack is successful, user gains half of HP lost by opponent due to this attack.[/I]

[I][B]Jump Kick:[/B] Physical Fighting PP: 10 Power: 100 / Accuracy: 95 
Effect: If this attack misses or becomes ineffective, user loses half of the damage the attack would have dealt.[/I]

[B]TMs / HMs[/B]
TM06 - Toxic
TM10 - Hidden Power
TM11 - Sunny Day
TM15 - Hyper Beam
TM16 - Light Screen
TM17 - Protect
TM18 - Rain Dance
TM20 - Safeguard
TM21 - Frustration
TM22 - Solar Beam
TM27 - Return
TM30 - Shadow Ball
TM32 - Double Team
TM42 - Facade
TM44 - Rest
TM45 - Attract
TM48 - Troll
TM49 - Echo Voice
TM53 - Energy Ball
TM67 - Get Even
TM68 - Giga Impact
TM70 - Flash
TM73 - Thunder Wave
TM75 - Swords Dance
TM83 - Cheer Up
TM86 - Grass Knot
TM87 - Swagger
TM90 - Substitute
TM93 - Wild Bolt
TM94 - Rock Smash
HM01 - Cut

[I][B]Wild Bolt:[/B]  Physical Electric PP: Physical Electric PP: 15 Power: 90 / Accuracy: 100 
Effect: Returns to user 1/4 of HP lost by opponent due to this attack.[/I]

[B]Egg Moves[/B]
Fake Tears
Natural Gift
Synthesis
Worry Seed
Odor Sleuth
Agility
Sleep Talk
Baton Pass
GrassWhistle
Mebukijika was my favorite early B/W leak, so I wanted to write about him. A quick glance at his stats seems to rob him of OU play (outside of maybe a niche role,) but UU is really where I wanted to use him anyways. Mebukijika is like a Leafeon that traded in its ability to double as a physical wall for a more diverse movepool (and a cooler ability). With 100 Attack, 95 Speed, access to Swords Dance and dual STABs that have great coverage, I think this grown-up Bambi will be able to prove its worth. Distinguishing features include...

• Offensive Movepool
    Wood Horn:This is Mabukijika's signature attack, and while its no Power Whip or Leaf Blade, I think the HP draining effect will go a long ways in making up for the lower base power. Generally speaking, Water and Ground type pokemon have high HP stats (thinking Swampert, Milotic, Rhyperior, Donphan...) which allows him to capitalize on this effect when hitting super-effectively.

Jump Kick: Mebukijika has solid neutral coverage between its dual STABs, with Steel being the one exception; enter Jump Kick! Not much else to be said, just a great coverage move 95% of the time.

Wild Bolt: Given that Mebukijika can cover Water types with a STAB Wood Horn and Flying types with a STAB Return/Double Edge, I dont see Wild Bolt getting much use. However, we've no idea of how the metagame will shift and what threats will emerge, and it is still cool that he is the only grass type to receive the move.

• Support Movepool
    Swords Dance: The necessary boosting move, makes great use of his stats and movepool, transforms him into a sweeper...

Synthesis/Leech Seed: Recovery is always welcome, but Mebukijika has average bulk at best. Synthesis theoretically would be great for healing off LO damage or Double Edge/Wild Bolt recoil, but choosing it means you're losing a coverage move. He might find a niche as a Leech Seeder, but there are faster and bulkier ones around!

Thunder Wave: Another oddball move for a grass types who usually have to rely on Stun Spore. Mebukijika is fast, but lots of threats are faster, not to mention that TWave is always great for team support. Also, as a Grass type, its unlikely any ground types will be switching in to absorb the the 100% accurate paralysis.

• Typing/Ability
    Herbivore + Normal typing grants the stag two immunities, and if he was inserted into our current UU metagame they would be two great immunities. Things are bound to change, but still, immunities are pluses. Herbivore sadly doesn't absorb Grass types support moves (such as Sleep Powder or Spore, I think this is confirmed?), but the Attack boost is very welcome. Per the research thread Herbivore DOES absorb non-damaging Grass moves, so this is a great boon for Mebukijika :D

Serene Grace is cool, but unfortunately Mebukijika has almost zero ways to abuse this. I want to say exactly zero, because when I looked through the list all I saw were special attacks that included secondary effects, and he really just doesn't have the SpA stat to use those. Is someone sees otherwise speak up!

I don't see him being too unpredictable, just good at what he does. I imagine most sets will be offensive and similar to this:

Swords Dance Sweeper
Mebukijika @ Life Orb / Lum Berry
Ability: Herbivore
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
-Swords Dance
-Wood Horn
-Jump Kick
-Double Edge / Return

His bulk is average, but with resistances to Water, Ground and Electric, as well as immunities to Grass and Ghost, switching in shouldn't be too hard. I haven't spent enough time looking through Gen V pokemon to see how he interacts with them, but in our current UU this set leaves some popular tanks hard-pressed to switch in. Without doing calcs, there is Wood Horn for Milotic, Double Edge for Venusaur, and Jump Kick for Registeel. Lum Berry is slashed as an item to enhance Mebukijika's aptitude at beating Mismagius and Rotom. As Ghost and Electric attacks are useless or resisted, the best they can do is burn or paralyze him while eating a Wood Horn (or even better a +2 Wood Horn).

Dropping any one of the attacks for Synthesis seems sensible if you prefer longevity, as Grass + Normal, Grass + Fighting, and Normal + Fighting attacking combinations get strong neutral coverage. Going Normal + Fighting, however, requires you have a strong ghost killer. While Id like to put together a support or defensive set, it seems pointless without knowing what threats he will be playing against. My thought is that when paired with his average defensive stats, sets that aim to be physically bulky will be thwarted by his fighting weakness, and those specially bulky by his ice and fire weaknesses.

Anyways, I love his sprite, signature move and typing, and hopefully have convinced you he is worth the closer look. Discuss and improve upon if you want!

Azure Demon

This little stag has some great potential it would be an excellent game ending sweeper if it had a bit more speed
But it has a beautiful move pool and decent stats I would probably be tempted to put a scarf or choice band on this bad boy and just watch it go

The only way way I see him in OU is as a swampert partner. You know, in the same manor electrive was/is for gyrados.... Mainly used by noobs but still

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Mebukijika is my favorite Pokemon of all time, and i'm happy someone cares about him enough to post a thread.

Anyway, i can see this beast shining in Sunny Day teams, the thing is just BEAST, i mean c'mon Swords Dance and Wood Horn = pwn.

However, it's also good in supporting his teammates.

Mebukijika @ Leftovers
Jolly
252 HP / 252 Spe / 4 SpD [better spread needed] [Maybe a set of 252 Def / 252 Spe / 4 HP could work?]
- Leech Seed
- Thunder Wave / Toxic
- Aromatherapy
- Light Screen

Azure Demon

I'm sorry but I don't think the little guy has the bulk to pull off a set like that however a sub seeder is something to look at with

Thunder wave
Leech seed
Sub
And wood horn maybe

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
As a SubSeeder it's outclassed by Jaroda IMO, Jaroda's just the king of SubSeeding with his movepool..

But behind Light Screen it can take a lot of special attacks though.

2 Questions about Herbivore:
1- Does it grant a grass immunity?
2- If someone were to use bullet seed, would it activate it 2-5 times or just once?

Hi, new here and to competitive play in general.

With access to Agility, Substitute, Swords Dance, Cheer Up, and Baton Pass how viable would be be as a Baton Passer?

aVocado

@ Everstone
I just noticed it has access to Baton Pass !

Anyway, it's too bad it can't learn Agility and Baton Pass unless it breeds from a Pokemon that can learn both. :(

I can definitely see a set like this working:

Mebukijika @ Leftovers
252 HP / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Herbivore
Timid / Jolly
- Baton Pass
- Swords Dance
- Substitute
- Cheer Up

What sets him apart from other subseeders in my eyes is that he can pack a strong STAB Return or Megahorn to hit the Grass types that come in to absorb Leech Seed. This is great if its Sceptile or Venusaur coming in, but there are so many other physically bulky Grass types (Jaroda, Leafeon, Torterra, Tangrowth, and now Rotom-C!) that could come in to sponge the hits and recover the damage that I think Id choose someone else for the job.

1- Does it grant a grass immunity?
2- If someone were to use bullet seed, would it activate it 2-5 times or just once?
1-yes
2-not a clue!

@ Baton Pass sets: Im sure he would make a fine passer of Swords Dance, I just feel that its something Leafeon does better. Also Arikado, why are you trying to pass both Cheer Up and Swords Dance? Definitely need an attacking move! XD

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
It could work as a Baton Passer, however, seeing as it isn't too bulky, I'm sure it wouldn't be able to come in too often to pass boosts. But it could draw in a niche for passing boosts with Leech Seed.

I thought the whole bullet seed idea might just be amazing in a doubles environment, given the right partner. He uses agility the first turn while the partner uses bullet seed. IF you get a boost each time you get hit, could be awesome.

aVocado

@ Everstone
@ Baton Pass sets: Im sure he would make a fine passer of Swords Dance, I just feel that its something Leafeon does better. Also Arikado, why are you trying to pass both Cheer Up and Swords Dance? Definitely need an attacking move! XD
True, but some mixed attackers will appreciate a Cheer Up boost or two, otherwise Wood Horn can be used. :P

but there are so many other physically bulky Grass types (Jaroda, Leafeon, Torterra, Tangrowth, and now Rotom-C!) that could come in to sponge the hits and recover the damage that I think Id choose someone else for the job.
This is why i said Jaroda is the best SubSeeder IMO, it's fairly bulky, has lots of speed and has access to Torment, not to mention Taunt, which can make Jaroda stall it's opponent to no good using Leech Seed + Sub + Torment. (And it has a fast Taunt, meaning it can Taunt the foes before they Taunt you. :P)

I thought the whole bullet seed idea might just be amazing in a doubles environment, given the right partner. He uses agility the first turn while the partner uses bullet seed. IF you get a boost each time you get hit, could be awesome.
That's... nasty.. haha.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Well, this guy makes Stantler look like a piece of crap.
QFT, My thoughts exactly.

I'd like to see this thing as a Sunny Sweeper with access to Jump Kick to get rid of Steel-types and the option to use Swords Dance and Synthesis, as well as the option to go mixed, though his 60 SpA wouldn't be helping him too much.

Catching a Deer by the Horns (Probably Not a Good Idea)
Adamant Mebukijika @ Choice Band
Herbivore
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Hp
~ Wood Horn
~ Jump Kick
~ Mega Horn
~ Wild Bolt

Wood Horn for Water / Ground / Rock and it's a nice healing signature move, Jump Kick for Steel and Dark types, Mega Horn for Grass Types (read: other Mebukijika trying to catch a boost) Wild Bolt for Flying types. This set hit 50% of types for SE damage and works as a great partner along side Swampert (or Qwagsire in UU) as they cover weaknesses (Swampert has a Fire / Poison resist, and neutral to everything else while Mebukijika grabs boosts off of Swampert's only weakness)

Dancing Deers Batman!

Jolly Mebukijika @ Leftovers
Chlorophyll
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Hp
~ Swords Dance
~ Wood Horn
~ Wild Bolt
~ Jump Kick

Use in the Sun. Kick Heatran in the face if he decides to be "smart"

I'm tired so these are a little halfassed (except the set names, I put a lot of thought into those!).

i have this tendency to take pokemon with average defenses and give them defensive EVs just for the heck of it, so without further ado:

BAM!@Leftovers
Chlorophyll/Herbivore
252HP/4Atk/252Spe
Jolly
-Swords Dance/Agility
-Substitute
-Wood Horn
-Baton Pass

Preferably, if his ability is Chlorophyll, use Swords Dance so you'll be faster than everything under the sun (use with Drought or any Sunny Day invoker); if ability is Herbivore, use Agility, but mix and match as you please, any combo could work just as well. As my personal preference, I'll use Swords Dance over Agility any day for this set. Now, to explain the set:

1.) Come in on a resisted attack or something he can force out (like Swampert/Quagsire), throw up a Sub on the switch; alternatively, if he starts out as your new active pokemon to replace a fainted one, still throw up a Sub to protect against status or simply to scout.

2.) Once safely behind a Sub, use Swords Dance, then pass it next turn as your Sub breaks (or DOESN'T break, in which case, it's a bonus).

Why the HP EV's? Why don't you just dump everything into Attack for Wood Horn? Well, my answer to that is that we want to make this deadly deer survive long enough to pass a boost. The extra bulk will also make his Subs a little more durable (though not much). And with Swords Dance boosting your attack anyway, Wood Horn's going to cause some damage (and heal some of yours in the process). Alternatively, he can semi-stall with the combination of Sub and SD-boosted Wood Horn (but not for long--max 16PP for your only offensive attack).

I am liking this thing more and more everytime I theorymon it.

I'm suprised that nobody has commented on the synergy between his two stab attacks. Double-edge is very strong and has recoil and wood horn can heal him back up from that recoil. I really like this little guy on a sun team.

Mebukijika@Life Orb
Adamant Nature
252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP
Chlorophyll
Swords dance
Wood Horn
Double-Edge
Jump Kick

In the sun with one turn of set up he is sitting at 656 attack and 578 speed which outspeeds a +2 Jolly Blaziken. I can see him doing some massive damage with Double-edge and then healing back up with Wood Horn while still doing some great damage.

On a non-competitive note I absolutely adore his winter and autumn sprites.

i have to say this is easily my favourite 5th gen mon by far, huge step up from its prevo!

As for its competitive use, wouldnt a set that was built to threaten grass type users as a pivot for mons like starmie and swampert be a good idea? Apart from that it seems like it will be relogated to batonpassing and SDing.

I'm suprised that nobody has commented on the synergy between his two stab attacks. Double-edge is very strong and has recoil and wood horn can heal him back up from that recoil. I really like this little guy on a sun team.

Mebukijika@Life Orb
Adamant Nature
252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP
Chlorophyll
Swords dance
Wood Horn
Double-Edge
Jump Kick

In the sun with one turn of set up he is sitting at 656 attack and 578 speed which outspeeds a +2 Jolly Blaziken. I can see him doing some massive damage with Double-edge and then healing back up with Wood Horn while still doing some great damage.

On a non-competitive note I absolutely adore his winter and autumn sprites.
Double Edge is nice STAB but Wild Bolt provides way better coverage, he can hit Flying and Poison types, and very defensive pokemon like Skarmory.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)