Venusaur

This thread is to discuss Venusaur, and how he will fit into the metagame.

Venusaur
Grass/ Poison
80/ 82/ 83/100/100/ 80
Overgrow
Chlorophyll (Dream World)

Last generation Venusaur had trouble competing in standard due to being overshadowed by other grass types such as Roserade. Black and White have given Venusaur some new tools to play with, mainly Chlorophyll, which doubles his speed while sun is in play. Add in his already respectable speed stat and you have one of the fastest Pokemon around.

Level up moves:
Lv1: Tackle, Lv1: Growl, Lv1: Leech Seed, Lv1: Vine Whip, Lv3: Growl, Lv7: Leech Seed, Lv9: Vine Whip, Lv13: PoisonPowder, Lv13: Sleep Powder, Lv15: Take Down, Lv20: Razor Leaf, Lv23: Sweet Scent, Lv28: Growth, Lv31: Double-Edge, Lv32: Petal Dance, Lv39: Worry Seed, Lv45: Synthesis, Lv53: Solarbeam

Pre evolution only moves: Seed Bomb- Bulbasaur(Level 37)

Egg Moves:
Skull Bash
Charm
Petal Dance
Magical Leaf
GrassWhistle
Curse
Ingrain
Nature Power
Amnesia
Leaf Storm
Power Whip
Sludge
Endure
Giga Drain

Learnable TMs: , TM05 - Roar, TM06 - Toxic, TM09 - Venom Shock, TM10 - Hidden Power, TM11 - Sunny Day, TM15 - Hyper Beam, TM16 - Light Screen, TM17 - Protect, TM20 - Safeguard, TM21 - Frustration, TM22 - Solar Beam, TM26 - Earthquake, TM27 - Return, TM32 - Double Team, TM36 - Sludge Bomb, TM42 - Facade, TM44 - Rest, TM45 - Attract, TM48 - Troll, TM49 - Echo Voice, TM53 - Energy Ball, TM68 - Giga Impact, TM70 - Flash, TM75 - Swords Dance, TM78 - Smooth Over, TM86 - Grass Knot, TM87 - Swagger, TM90 - Substitute, TM94 - Rock Smash, HM01 - Cut, HM04 – Strength

At first glance Venusaurs movepool looks quite barren, however he has just the right tools to make him a very interesting threat. With Swords Dance, he can rip holes through a defensive core, or he could use his respectable bulk to pull of a SubSeed set.

Reasons to use Venusaur:

• Second Fastest Chlorophyll user – With 80 base speed, Venusaur can outspeed every non scarfed Pokemon in the game while sun is in effect.’
  • Effective Wall breaker – Due to his ability to go mixed, Venusaur can dismantle many common walls in the metagame.

Possible Sets:
Venusaur@Leftovers
Ability: Chlorophyll
Timid
252HP/252Speed/4SpAtk

- Sleep Powder
- Leech Seed
- Substitute/Hidden Power Fire
- Solarbeam

Venusaur can potentially cripple any Pokemon in the game with this set, Sleep Powder allowes you to temporarily incapacitate most Pokemon, while Leech Seed lets you sap away at their Hitpoints. Substitute or Hidden Power Fire is down to preference, Substitute allows you to scout switch ins after Sleep Powder, while HP Fire allows you to damage Steel types not named Heatran. Solarbeam is for stab, and lets you deal with Bulky Waters, and do respectable damage to anything that doesn’t resist it. If you can Leech Seed Heatran on the switch in, you can potentially outstall it if you have substitute, if it’s using Fire Blast.

I think the main advantage Venusaur has as a SubSeeder is Sludge Bomb + Chlorophyll, so I'd use it if I were you instead of Solarbeam. Sleep Powder / Leech Seed / Substitute / Sludge Bomb can easily cripple teams. Also, Modest > Timid to do the most damage with Sludge Bomb because after Chlorophyll you're looking at a gigantic speed stat. Steels resist Solarbeam anyways, so you should be sleeping them. Sludge Bomb beats Celebi, Roserade, etc, handily. Overall, I'm pretty impressed with Venusaur having the ability to abuse the SubSeeding potential of Roserade with the Chlorophyll of Jumpluff.

Perhaps a Chlorophyll sweeper set?

Power Whip / SD / Sludge Bomb / HP Fire could prove to be a potent attacker on both sides.

I am very psyched about this. Ever since I discovered Venusaur got SD in early DP, I've used it. If it can't get Power Whip on the Chlorophyll set, it will make me sad. Also, with the abundance of really really powerful dragons this gen, I could actually see my gimmick of running Outrage as pretty useful, otherwise you'd get Ononokusu switching in on you, and being walled by something that deadly is not something you'd want happening. The ability to inflict damage of consequence on Chandelerra would be important as well.

I can see this having trouble with the aforementioned Chandelerra, even if we do ban Shadow Tag, due to it's monstrous 145 base SpA, resistance to both hidden powers Venus would run (Fire and Ice), resistance to Solarbeam, Power Whip, complete immunity to Double Edge. SD Venusaur may be forced to run EQ to take it down; in fact, EQ may be a necessary move on Venusaur due to the abundance of types weak to it.

Special sets seem borderline non-viable, due to his atrocious special movepool. Solarbeam's power is really nice, but when so many things resist it...

Your set there seems to be geared towards 4th gen, and doesn't seem to really pay much heed to the new Pokemon and threats.

Venusaur was the top tier UUer but B&W made him even better.

The so called "fast subseeder" sounds fantastic. Fast sleep, STAB Sludge Bomb and good typing are all useful aspects to make Venusaur to shine. Speedy sweeper doesn't sound bad either; SD or Growth with Power Whip, Sludge Bomb and Hidder Power for coverage should be pretty devastating. Another big thing is that Venusaur can hit all weather induces with super effective move; Grass for Hippo/TTar/Toed and poison for Aboma.

If the Aiming Mark will work like we first thought, it could be a good option for subseeder hitting steels with Sludge Bomb. Leftovers is another possibility and Life Orb should do the trick in the offensive sets.

It's hard to say where Venusaur is going to be. From UU to maybe lowish UU? We'll see.

Power Whip and Chlorophyll most likely won't be possible together because of the egg move/ dream world problem. The Chlorophyll sub-seeder sounds great, but its completely reliant on weather, which most teams will have steps to work around.

Dang, this is one depressing post.

I was thinking of trying out the change to Growth with Venusaur on a sun team since of his decent bulk and good speed in sun. Growth, EQ, Petal Dance, Sludge Bomb.

Only thing, not sure what nature to use with this. Don't want to drop his defenses too much because then he might not get a Growth or two off.

Power Whip and Chlorophyll most likely won't be possible together because of the egg move/ dream world problem. The Chlorophyll sub-seeder sounds great, but its completely reliant on weather, which most teams will have steps to work around.

Dang, this is one depressing post.
Dream World abilities can apparently be passed down through breeding, so there's a good chance that egg moves won't be a problem.

Second Fastest Chlorophyll user – With 80 base speed, Venusaur can outspeed every non scarfed Pokemon in the game while sun is in effect.’
Not true. With other DW ability pokemon and new pokemon, these Pokemon are faster Chlorophyllers than Venusaur:

Jumpluff (spd 110)
Leafeon (spd 95)
Hahakurimo (spd 92)
Erufuun (spd 116)
Doreida (spd 90)
Mebukijka (spd 95)

Really Venusaur has always been one of my favourites and when I learned that it will be getting a new ability I was hoping it would be Chlorophyll. And know there you have it! A perfect teammate for Ninetales as it can outspeed almost any unboosted steel type (I say any because Scarf Jirachi will be a problem because of Trick) that tries to absorb Venusaur's attacls and then put it to sleep. Really this is an excellent pokemon to use so put it in your Drought team ... NOW!

chlorphyll venasaur, solar power charizard and drought ninetails would be a great core of a sunny day team IMO
any thoughts?

Set: Physical Sun Abuser

Venusaur@Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SAtk)
52HP/252 Atk/204Speed
- Sleep Powder
- Swords Dance
- Power Whip
- Earthquake/Return

The ideal partner for this set is Drought Ninetails but even team mates with Sunny Day+Heat Rock are fine. Sleep Power is always an amazing move on Venusaur and this set makes no exception. After you put something to sleep you can start to set up Swords Dance and sweep with an immensely powerful STAB Power Whip. Earthquake/Return are Venusaur's best option to hit Pokémon that resist Grass type moves. Adamant nature and 252 Attack EVs were chosen to maximize offensive power and with 204 Speed EVs it is able to outspeed base 100 Pokémon with positive nature and holding a Choice Scarf.

Perhaps a Chlorophyll sweeper set?

Power Whip / SD / Sludge Bomb / HP Fire could prove to be a potent attacker on both sides.
Exactly what I was thinking. Maybe replace SD with the new improved Growth and throw Earthquake in the mix. I think with Chlorophyll it has potential to move up to OU.

Exactly what I was thinking. Maybe replace SD with the new improved Growth and throw Earthquake in the mix. I think with Chlorophyll it has potential to move up to OU.
I can see it doing mixed sets like mixape. Physically based with Leaf Storm and specially based with something else. Except this guy now has growth (and infernape now has cheer up...)

Azure Demon

Venusaur gets even more broken. Lol but still sleep power may be his undoing in this generation seeing as espeon and a few others will be able to automatically bounce that stuff right back in his face and that will in turn put it to sleep so be careful trying to spread status

Venusaur gets even more broken. Lol but still sleep power may be his undoing in this generation seeing as espeon and a few others will be able to automatically bounce that shut right back in his face and that will in turn put it to sleep so be careful trying to spread status
There is sleep clause and switching espeon into a sleep powder knowingly will violate it. Sleep Powder didn't get as screwed as you said it did but your point is valid :)

Azure Demon

sleep clause means you can only induce sleep on one of your opponent's pokemon at a time and if you only block venasaurs status and send it back that is only one pokemon asleep so it doesn't break sleep clause so what the hell are you talking about? That does not violate sleep clause

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Venusaur should be focusing on Attacking, rather than SubSeeding IMO. Erufuun gets Priority Leech Seed, Jaroda doesn't have to rely on the sun, and Jumpluff has more speed.

Actually, Erufuun is pretty much the Best SubSeeder in OU.

Also, that makes Venusaur the 4th fastest Leech Seeder in OU, not the 2nd.

Maybe a set like:

Venusaur @ Life Orb
--Insert EVs Here--
~SolarBeam
~Earthquake
~HP fire / Sludge Bomb
~Growth / Sleep Powder

Azure Demon

Ninetails only needs to come in once drought makes perment sun until the weather is changed so if the weather never changes you only need to send her in once

Ninetails only needs to come in once drought makes perment sun until the weather is changed so if the weather never changes you only need to send her in once
Except the possibility, and this may actually turn out common later on, that people will start to carry weather-changing moves on their Pokemon or things like Politoad/Hippotas or Powdon/Snover or Abomnasnow. I'd like the Ninetails to at least be able to come in at least three times and still do something, unless you have a secondary Sun starter. And the Spinner comment was really meant more toward Charizard. It -will- die immediantly if it's forced out more than once.

Azure Demon

Yeah that is true solarpower plus stealth rocks will rip itself in half and as for politoed I know it will be popular but it still will have to be careful coming in on a sunny day team as it will be swarming with grass types like our buddy venusaur so I think at the Mac if you are playing correctly you should only have to bring in ninetails like 3 times max

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)