B&W Research Thread

Dustproof: Does it also protect the Pokemon from boosts in move power from weather (for instance, a Water Spout in rain will only deal damage of Water Spout in normal weather)?
Used Boiling water against a 2 rankurusu's with the same stats during rain. One with magic guard, the other has Dustproof.
The damage difference was negligible as such dustproof does not ignore any boosts from weather conditions like Air Lock does.

I suppose gamefreak gave rankurusu both abilities just to piss off Wifi Breeders

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I haven't tested it with Focus Sash yet, but I know that against Sturdy, it has to be the first hit to activate the ability. The second hit can and will KO, even if the opponent is not at 1HP yet. I have a feeling Focus Sash works the same way, so I'll double check when I get a chance.

Edit: I don't see anything listed as tentative for multi-hit attack research.
Fixed.

I posted this in another thread, but i think that it fits better here:

The tailwind's lenght has been increased, from 3 to 4 turns. I've tested it a couple of times.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Do lightningrod and storm drain still "pull" electric and water attacks (respectively) in multi battles? Or has that been removed?

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Do lightningrod and storm drain still "pull" electric and water attacks (respectively) in multi battles? Or has that been removed?
Ideally, this should be checked for single-target attacks, attacks that hit multiple opponents, and attacks that hit multiple opponents and allies. In 4th gen, only single-target attacks were pulled.

Also, do Lightningrod and Storm Drain pull attacks used by allies? In 4th gen they do, but in 3rd gen they don't.

Finally, I'm wondering about whether a lot of abilities only work on adjacent Pokemon in triple battles. For instance, if I bring out a Pokemon with Intimidate on one side of my field, can it hit the opponent that's furthest away? Can Lightningrod and Storm Drain pull attacks that could not normally target them?

So we now know Aiming Mark gets rid of the immunities of the holder, but does that include ability immunities as well? For example, if Gengar is holding the Aiming Mark will Ground attacks hit him now?

I suppose the easiest way to test it is by doing a double battle with a levitator holding the Aiming Mark and an EQ user and see if it hits.

So we now know Aiming Mark gets rid of the immunities of the holder, but does that include ability immunities as well? For example, if Gengar is holding the Aiming Mark will Ground attacks hit him now?

I suppose the easiest way to test it is by doing a double battle with a levitator holding the Aiming Mark and an EQ user and see if it hits.
I'll test that in a few minutes.

Alrighty, niched hasn't posted yet, so I'll do so.

Abilities in Rotation Battles: No abilities that activate on switch in work from the back row. This includes all weather abilities.
Weather in Rotation Battles: Rain, Sun, Hail, and Sandstorm have no effect whatsoever on the back row.
Illusion Ability: Illusion copies the nickname and sprite of the last Pokemon in your party that is not fainted before the party is reordered from the switch. If this last Pokemon is the Pokemon with Illusion, nothing happens; the Pokemon appears as itself.

Tested Aiming Mark in the situation described above.

Shibishirasu holding Aiming Mark and a Tyranitar.
Tyranitar used Earthquake and Shibishirasu didn't take a single hit point, with Levitate activating as usual.

Request about Healing Heart, what are the chances of it activating and is the effect a random Heal Bell or does it randomly select only one Pokemon on your party?

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Ok, if possible I'd like someone to test something with the ability Self-Conscious, which according to serebii, the description is "There are types you are self-conscious around of and raise your speed."

The problem is that this is extremely unclear, and it would probably be a good idea to know what this ability actually does.

EDIT: my bad

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Ok, if possible I'd like someone to test something with the ability Self-Conscious, which according to serebii, the description is "There are types you are self-conscious around of and raise your speed."

The problem is that this is extremely unclear, and it would probably be a good idea to know what this ability actually does.
Let's try seeing if Speed boosts around type weaknesses (i.e. Granbull gets a boost hanging around a Fighting-type, on either side of the field).

EDIT: Uh, hold on. That's a Dream World exclusive ability, and we're not focusing on those until we see one of those Self-Conscious Pokemon as per the thread rules.

Heat Stamp\Heavy Bomber: What is its power against heavier Pokemon compared to lighter Pokemon?
Snorlax(460kg) with 256 attack using Heavy bomber on all these pokemon having exact 216 def

Torterra(352kg): 36 damage
Dragonite(210kg): 56 damage
Mewtwo(122kg): 65 damage
Altaria(20kg): 113 damage
Mew(4kg): 120 damage

I've tried to make the formula but unfortunatly it seems my knowledge at math falls short....
Can someone with knowledge on math could help me finding the formula based on these results? It would be highly appreciated

Snorlax(460kg) with 256 attack using Heavy bomber on all these pokemon having exact 216 def

I've tried to make the formula but unfortunatly it seems my knowledge at math falls short....
Can someone with knowledge on math could help me finding the formula based on these results ? It would be highly appreciated
What level are these Pokemon at? It might make a smidge of difference.

EDIT: my bad
Serebii descriptions are pretty bad, I think that ability is this:
Wariness: Evasion boosted against attacks that have already been used against it.

--------

Also, there is a new attack called "Synchronize" (Psychic/Special/70 BP/15 PP); Serebii description says: "With a strange electric wave it damages itself and other Pokémon who have the same type".

I tested it with Munna, the attack didn`t work on anything except against Psychic types (because Munna is Psychic), the attack still is not effective and don`t damage Munna.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro

Can someone with knowledge on math could help me finding the formula based on these results? It would be highly appreciated
We'll need to get several trials against each Pokemon, because of the random factor in the damage formula.

I used Synchronize with Shinporaa, too. It damaged only Psychic or Flying types, but never damaged Shinporaa itself. At first I thought it was because of Magic Guard, but if you're saying Munna was fine, then Serebii is just being retarded with the translations again.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Concerning "Synchronize", a 70-power attack that is often going to be not-very effective against its targets (if the user is a Psychic-type) seems like a real waste of a moveslot. Does it display the not-very-effective message when Munna uses the attack, or does it do typeless damage?

I used Synchronize with Shinporaa, too. It damaged only Psychic or Flying types, but never damaged Shinporaa itself. At first I thought it was because of Magic Guard, but if you're saying Munna was fine, then Serebii is just being retarded with the translations again.
I deleted that move, but now im thinking, could you test that move in a Triple battle? Maybe it hits everybody in the field with your same type, even the ones you can`t reach normally in a Triple battle.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
Concerning "Synchronize", a 70-power attack that is often going to be not-very effective against its targets (if the user is a Psychic-type) seems like a real waste of a moveslot. Does it display the not-very-effective message when Munna uses the attack, or does it do typeless damage?
MauriiDS already said it was not-very-effective.

I deleted that move, but now im thinking, could you test that move in a Triple battle? Maybe it hits everybody in the field with your same type, even the ones you can`t reach normally in a Triple battle.
I... deleted it too. But I think you're right- it probably hits everyone in the field that's the same type as the user, regardless of their position in the battle.

Two questions about Overconfidence/EQ Spiral, one would be easy to test and one not as much:

1) In a multi-battle (Double or Triple) do you get the boost for KOing your partners? Example: Left to right, we have Shimama, Meguroko and Shimama. If Meguroko uses Earthquake and KOs his two partners, does he get a +2?

2) Related to the above, if the stat changes in the middle of the move (assuming 100 Atk for the Meguroko to start, for example), would later Pokemon that are damaged reflect the stat at the time the attack as used? Or would 150, 200, etc be used in the calculation?

Does Encourage boost an attack's power even if the secondary effect has no chance of occurring? For instance, if a flinching move is used by a slower Pokémon or against an opponent with Inner Focus, or a move with a chance to burn is used against a Fire-type or an opponent with Water Veil.

Two questions about Overconfidence/EQ Spiral, one would be easy to test and one not as much:

1) In a multi-battle (Double or Triple) do you get the boost for KOing your partners? Example: Left to right, we have Shimama, Meguroko and Shimama. If Meguroko uses Earthquake and KOs his two partners, does he get a +2?

2) Related to the above, if the stat changes in the middle of the move (assuming 100 Atk for the Meguroko to start, for example), would later Pokemon that are damaged reflect the stat at the time the attack as used? Or would 150, 200, etc be used in the calculation?
Tested them right now.

1. Yes, you get the boost for killing your partners.

2. The boosts are given after the Attack is concluded. It went like this:

Warubiaru used Earthquake!
KOd my Hihidaruma.
KOd opponent Zebraika.
Opponent Hatooboo avoided the attack.
Then it showed Overconfidence ability tab giving the attack boost.
And then it showed the ability tab immediately again.

Hope that helped. (:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)