TM31 - Brick Break
TM52 - Focus Blast
TM55 - Boiling Water
TM90 - Substitute
HM03 - Surf
HM05 - Waterfall

Egg Moves
Encore

Troll | Special | Normal | 15 | 60 | 100 | Raises BP for each Pokemon in your party with this attack

Echo Voice | Special | Normal | 15 | 40 | 100 | Deals more damage used consecutively

Boiling Water | Special | Water | 15 | 80 | 100 | May cause a burn (30% chance)

Smooth Over | N/A | Ground | X | X | X | (Can't find any details on it)

A pokemon who has been banished to UU/NU for it's entire life has finally earned some well deserved notice in the eyes of competitive players. Once an ability reserved for the Ubers-only Kyogre, Politoed has received an awesome gift from the Dream World in Drizzle this generation. This is good news for pokemon who enjoy rain, Swift Swimmers and Rain Dishers alike, because now it is more viable than ever to use a Rain abusing team. For its new amazing ability, its base stats are somewhat lackluster. It has some relative special bulk with 90 HP and 100 Sp.Def. Its low speed and attacking stats make it difficult to hit back after coming in to set up rain, but that won't stop this toad from wreaking some havoc on the early stages of the BW metagame.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

~ Choice Toad~

Politoed @ Choice Specs/Scarf
Timid/Modest
Drizzle
252 Sp.Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Hydro Pump / Boiling Water / Surf
Ice Beam
Focus Blast
Hidden Power Grass/Electric/Ground

An offensive approach to setting up Rain, although it might not be able to hit much very hard. If you Scarf, Hydro Pump would be preferable for the extra power, but on a Specs set, Boiling Water would be more beneficial to make use of the burn effect. The rest of the moves are coverage moves, and all of them do significant damage to opposing weather inducing pokemon. Your water type move will handle Ninetales. Ice Beam takes care of Hippowdon. Focus Blast will deal some decent damage to Tyranitar and Abomasnow. Hidden Power serves as filler, so set its type based on what you need to cover. Politoed will generally be faster than the other weather inducers with and without the scarf, but to outspeed a non-scarf Ninetales, the scarf and +speed nature is required.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

~ Mixed Defense ~

Politoed @ Leftovers
Bold
Drizzle
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Sp.Def
Boiling Water
Substitute
Protect / Toxic / Hypnosis
Toxic / Hypnosis / Protect

Politoed can to an extent play defensively, but it would more than likely require Wish support to stay alive. The EVs and Nature bolster it's lower Defense stat to an acceptable level. Substitute and Protect are crucial to its longevity, but can also be used as tools for scouting. Boiling Water is for an attack to use in between Protects, but also a great asset for its capability of burn, which further increases its ability to take physical hits. The last move is again for extra coverage or support.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

~ Specially Defensive ~

Politoed @ Leftovers
Calm
Drizzle
252 HP / 252 Sp.Def / 4 Def
Boiling Water
Toxic / Hypnosis
Protect
Encore
pokemon said:
A classic Politoed set, making good use of Encore+Toxic. But the crux of this set is Drizzle and Boiling Water, boosting it so that it is 180 BP, STAB included. This coupled with 30% burn chance to cripple the foe, which makes Politoed even harder to take down, since it has a gargutan SDef stat already.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

~ Anti-Weather Toad ~

Politoed @ Muscle Band/Life Orb
Hasty
Drizzle
252 Atk / 4 Sp.Atk /252 Spe
Brick Break
Earthquake
Hydro Pump
Substitute / Hypnosis / Encore

Mastadi said:
This is a very specific set, made specifically to deal with all the other currently OU (or lower) auto weather set uppers.
Brick Break is there for Tyranitar and Abomasnow, which are both promptly outsped (aside from scarf sets) and 2HKO'd. Hydro Pump hits Hippowdon's weaker defense, although a 252/252 spread has a shot at not being 2HKO'd, unless rocks are in play. Earthquake is there for Ninetales, who is OHKO'd most of the time with rocks in play (73.9% - 87.1%). I would recommend Substitute in the last slot, primarily for scouting for alternative counters and scarf on TTar/Abomasnow, however, if you feel like it, you can either use hypnosis or encore, both of which prevent Politoed from being a set up fodder, as aside from the other weather set-uppers and a few similar pokemon, it cannot do much to most opponents in standard play. Life Orb is an alternative to muscle band, which ensures the OHKO on Ninetales (87.1% - 103.1%) as well as non-SR'd 252/252 Hippo. However, if you decide to use LO, it is recommended that you either use Hypnosis/Encore in the last slot or have wish support from your team mates (or both).
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

~ Rest Talker ~
Politoed @ Leftovers
Calm
Drizzle
252 HP / 252 Sp.Def / 4 Def
Boiling Water
Encore
Rest
Sleep Talk

Suggested by Upstart. This set has the intention of increasing Politoed's longevity by using RestTalk as a recovery method.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Note: Politoed can run a Belly Drum set, but for the sake of discussing its use as a Rain inducer, I will not list a Drum set because it cuts down on his ability to come back in and re-setup the rain if it is ever interrupted by another weather inducer.

Politoed will definitely be fun to use, I'm thinking of using this set:
Politoed@Swimming Goggles
Bold 252 Hp/252 defense/4 sp. def
Hypnosis
Hydro Pump
Focus Blast
Filler

Something better to support a Rain Dance team would be:

Politoed@Leftovers
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 Hp, 252 SDef, 4 Def
Nature: Calm
Moves:

-Boiling Water
-Toxic
-Protect
-Encore

A classic Politoed set, making good use of Encore+Toxic. But the crux of this set is Drizzle and Boiling Water, boosting it so that it is 180 BP, STAB included. This coupled with 30% burn chance to cripple the foe, which makes Politoed even harder to take down, since it has a gargutan SDef stat already.

I would say a Specially Defensive spread (as opposed to physically defensive) and Scarfer are the best two options. Boiling Water looks pretty cool to replace Surf on most sets.

Something better to support a Rain Dance team would be:

Politoed@Leftovers
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 Hp, 252 SDef, 4 Def
Nature: Calm
Moves:

-Boiling Water
-Toxic
-Protect
-Encore

Of course, but I'm still taking into consideration bred moves won't be compatible with the Dream World ability, which is why I didn't use Encore in the defensive set.

Will include your set in the original post.

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Maybe try a Rest-Talk set, because with this he actually has a recovery, so he could continuously set up Rain.

I just want to know why everyone's talking about banning Politoad. I mean, look at it's stats. It's pretty easy to deal with in comparison to the metagame at hand. Drizzle's good, even great, but not THAT good.

I just want to know why everyone's talking about banning Politoad. I mean, look at it's stats. It's pretty easy to deal with in comparison to the metagame at hand. Drizzle's good, even great, but not THAT good.
I believe it was decided even low level kyogres/groudons were too powerful at least in gen 4.

but assuming we have no ban list to start with then politoad isn't going to show up at all with kyogre anywhere near the picture.

I believe it was decided even low level kyogres/groudons were too powerful at least in gen 4.

but assuming we have no ban list to start with then politoad isn't going to show up at all with kyogre anywhere near the picture.
Ahh, but Politoed is slower than Groudon, avoiding the entire issue of Sun vs. Rain ;). Just trying to be gimmicky..lol

Ahh, but Politoed is slower than Groudon, avoiding the entire issue of Sun vs. Rain ;). Just trying to be gimmicky..lol
Well lv 1 Kyorge and Groudon were considered to be ban in gen 4 so yeah.

However Sandstorm got a boost in gen 5 so who knows...

Well lv 1 Kyorge and Groudon were considered to be ban in gen 4 so yeah.

However Sandstorm got a boost in gen 5 so who knows...
I don't get that...why would anyone even test that, and how could they be too good at level 1? Level 1 Uber versus a Level 100 OU sounds like OHKO to me. But I suppose that's why threads on Politoed and Ninetales were no where to be seen. What's wrong with non-uber Rain and Sun?

The idea was that rain was broken. Rain and Sun are insanely powerful. Ninetales or Poli could find themselves in uber if weather they provide is too broken.

I'm just thinking that Politoad is easy enough to remove, and then you can beat the sweepers. Tyrannitar, for example, can come in with prediction or on revenge and screw everything over. He doesn't even need that against Sun teams, where he switches in for little cost by delaying Solarbeam and resisting Fire. And considering the massive presence of Tyrannitar since it's creation, I think he alone will provide enough to balance things out.

Don't forget that Kyogre and Groudon are IMMENSELY powerful, even without the weather. Politoad and Ninetails, however, are UU Pokemon with Uber abilities. It doesn't seem anywhere near game-breaking to me.

Permanent Rain is bad, but we got 5 non-uber pokemon able to bring weather to the game,

Ninetails
Politoad
Tyranitar
Hippowdon
Abomasnow

Many pokemon learn sunnyday/sandstorm/hail to counter it, also think about that most swift swimmers are pure water type, or at least weak to a thunder... I think that weather will be just another case you need to build your team around just like the choice to bring a spinner or not, or to bring stealth rock or not.
Also the stats of the weather bringers aren't that great, Ninetails is still SR weak, ground and water attacks kill it outright, and Politoad is killed by something with high strenght and a bit more speed then it has... and what can Politoad do? Hydro Pump?
Ice Beam/Blizzard? We are dealing with rain dance teams already, especially in UU, so how would this Politoad make it any different...
Oh yeah.. perma rain :)

Politoed is the definition of a suicide lead. He comes in, does his job, and then MAYBE you give him a special attacker set just in case you know that you won't use him as a lead (thanks to being able to see your opponent's pokemon).

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
Politoed is the definition of a suicide lead. He comes in, does his job, and then MAYBE you give him a special attacker set just in case you know that you won't use him as a lead (thanks to being able to see your opponent's pokemon).
No he's not. It's important to keep him alive in order to change weather if Ninetales, Abomasnow, Tyranitar, or Hippo appear.

There is one thing people are overlooking. Kyorge has access to thunder, while Poli doesn't.
That.

I seriously doubt Politoed and Ninetales will hit the Uber tier because of their ability. Neither of them are that great of pokemon in the first place. Both are relatively frail other than their special defense stat, which is still a little inadequate for Ubers anyway. They would just sit and rot because Kyogre and Groudon are a million times stronger and sturdier than them. However, I can see smogon banning the use of Drizzle and Drought as their ability in OU and below, and those who are crazy enough to use them in Ubers can use them with those abilities if they so wish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)