Acupressure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Major change to this move in this gen: It now works behind a sub.

Where in 4th gen it would always fail behind a sub.

this has major implication because it becomes a bit more reliable because you can now use it behind cover without having to take a hit.

Pokemon that learn this move by level.
Dodrio
Medicham <-- new learner
Drapion
Marakacchi

Pokemon that get this move from Breeding
Tentacruel
Shuckle
Toxicroak <-- new eggmove

with Sub no longer blocking you from using it Dodrio now finally has a standout trick to other normal/flying because Pokemon XD gave it baton pass and you can Relearn Acupressure in 4th or 5th gen by move relearner allowing it to be the only pokemon in the game be able to baton pass the boosts from this move.

What happens if it boosts evasion if the clause is in effect? Does it just not happen or does it not have any effect? If it doesn't have any effect it would be a major downside to the move.

acupressure evasion boosts are legal because it picks a random stat to raise. you have no control over it

Dodrio hasn't really ever been related to other normal/flying types. I mean, out of all of them Dodrio has the highest attack stat. Anyways i can Shuckle being the most anoying thing ever now, but i do not think he will use Accupressure for the atk boost, i think he will use it for the Evasion and defensive boosts. Imagine a Shuckle with +6 spD, def, and Evasion behind a sub. The evasion clause will probably prevent Accupressure from boosting your evasion now.

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
accupressure is going to be a gimmick and not consistent, just like in 4th gen. nuff said.

If Acupressure becomes more standard, I can imagine that pokemon are going to try and run Magical Leaf and Shock Wave for coverage, instead of Hidden Powers. That is, if they get access to these moves.

I don't think you should worry about that. It's still going to be a gimmick move used in very rare occasions. Plus Whirlwind/Roar would be better counters to it than crappy moves like Magical Leaf

This is going to make Jumpman very happy. I always considered the silly Gen IV inability to be used behind a subsitute as bad programming by nintendo. I don't think Accupressure has much competitive merit though, prehaps in a baton passing team..

accupressure is going to be a gimmick and not consistent, just like in 4th gen. nuff said.
This. Shuckle can still be Roared out and it will lose all its boosts. Sub doesn't really help it either (unless it blocks Taunt, I can't remember). Substitute/Accupressure/Baton Pass/filler Dodrio sounds somewhat interesting and Drapion will still be good for the Battle Subway since your opponents don't know how to switch. Other than that, it will be the same gimmick it always was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)