Maractus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Honchkrorleone

Happy Qwilfish the nightmare
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Notice that this thread is about movesets and tiering discussion. Sorry if there's another thread hith tis name, but I couldn't find any. Also, don't compare him with Cacturne.

Marakacchi #556
Type: Grass
Egg Group: Plant
Gende Ratio: 50:50
Stats: 75 HP/86 Atk/67 Def/106 Sp.Atk/67 Sp.Def/60 Spe
Abilities: Clorophyl: Raises Spe during Sunshine
Water Absorb: When hit by a Water-type move, this pokémon becomes immune to Water and recovers 25% of his HP.
Storm Drain (DW): In double battles, absorbs all the Water moves, render they useless and raises its own Sp.Atk.

Moves:
New moves in Italic

Lv.-: Peck
Lv.-: Absorb
Lv.3: Sweet Scent
Lv.6: Growth
Lv.10: Pin Missle
Lv.13: Mega Drain
Lv.15: Synthesis
Lv.18: Cotton Spore
Lv.22: Needle Arm
Lv.26: Giga Drain
Lv.29: Accupressure
Lv.33: Ingrain
Lv.38: Petal Dance
Lv.42: Sucker Punch
Lv.45: Sunny Day
Lv.50: SolarBeam
Lv.55: Cotton Guard (Grass status, 10PP, never misses, Sharply raises Def)
Lv.57: You First (Normal status, 15PP, never misses, Makes the foe attack first)

TMs:
TM06: Toxic
TM10: Hidden Power
TM11: Sunny Day
TM17: Protect
TM20: Safeguard
TM21: Frustration
TM22: SolarBeam
TM27: Return
TM32: Double Team
TM40: Aerial Ace
TM44: Rest
TM45: Attract
TM48: Troll (Normal special, 60BP, 15PP, 100% hit, increases power if the ally uses)
TM53: Energy Ball
TM84: Poison Jab
TM86: Grass Knot
TM87: Swagger
TM90: Substitute

Breeding
Bullet Seed
Bounce
Worry Seed
Leech Seed
Seed Bomb
Wood Hammer
Spikes
GrassWhistle

Overview:

Every generation has its Grass pokémon with dubious usefulness. GenI brought Parasect, GenII showed us Belossom, GenIII came with Roselia (though in genIV it gained a much needed evolution), and GenIV appeared with Cherrim and Wormadam-P. To continue with this tradition, GF gave us the ugliest and most useless of all the aforementioned: Marakacchi, the (other) Cactus Pokémon. Aside of being one of the worst pokés introduced in GenV and quite ugly, he has a niche is Sunny Teams: he can either be a Water counter with Water Absorb or a Fast Spiker with Clorophyl. This doesn't mean that he is bulky, as he has mediocre 75/67/67 defenses that can't handle an Ice Beam from something like Glalie. His support movepool is also pretty barren for a Grass-type.

Offensive, he's a pure Grass-type based purely on a plant (Mandacaru, a type of brazilian cactus), meaning that his movepool is a shit. Getting Growth to waste in Grass moves, Hidden Power, Return, Frustration, Poison Jab, Sucker Punch and Aerial Ace is something to cry about. Maybe he'll be always under his fellow cactus cousin, but as I said abofe, don't make comparations. In short, he is bad, but fun to play, just like Maggyo or Dunsparce.

Possible movesets I can remember now

A spiking cactus. I think I already saw one somewhere, but this is in sun

@Focus Sash/Leftovers
Timid Nature
Ability: Clorophyl
EVs: 240 HP/16 Sp.Atk/252 Spe

~ Spikes
~ SolarBeam/Grass Knot
~ HP Fire
~ Toxic

Marakacchi isn't good, quite and simple, but there's one thing he can do that others Grassers can't: Spiking in sun. Pair with Ninetales to this thing work. 240 miserable Spe becames 480 in sun. From there, there isn't much. SolarBeam is Stab in sun, but Grass Knot is useful if there's no sun. HP Fire is for coverage, and Toxic because his movepool is as his sprite.

Anyone ever saw cactus seed?

@Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP/16 Def/240 Sp.Def

~ Substitute
~ Leech Seed
~ Grass Knot/SolarBeam
~ Bounce

SubSeed. Actually a good because of Water Absorb, which gives him a free turn to set up Substitute and then Leech Seed. Grass Knot X SolarBeam had already been discussed. Bounce is a gimmicky move that can paralyze (if hits), and gives a free turn to Leftovers and Leech Seed.

Steroids for the cactus

@Life Orb/Focus Sash
Naive Nature
EVs: 16 Atk/240 Sp.Atk/252 Spe

~ Growth
~ SolarBeam/Grass Knot
~ HP Fire
~ Sucker Punch

Boost its good Sp.Atk and mediocre Atk with Growth, from there, there isn't much to choose. I'm tired of talking about SolarBeam X Grass Knot, you already know, as thu utility of HP Fire. Sucker Punch serves for priority when the sun is gone.

Thanks hhjj, now cactus gets a scarf

@Choice Scarf
Naive Nature
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 SpA/252 Spe/4 Atk

~ Troll/Return
~ Petal Dance
~ HP Fire
~ Sucker Punch/Wood Hammer

Courtesy of hhjj. Troll power increases if your ally has it (really lack of options), While Return is consistent and you doesn't need to full your team with trollers. Petal Dance can OHKO everything that is weak to grass. Watch out in being lockedd, though. HP Fire because you cannot scratch Steels without HP Fire. Sucker Punch is here because even if you has a scarf, there will be faster things than you, however you can also use Wood Hammer for sheer power.

Feel free to discuss, add movesets and admins, to close if there's something wrong. And no Cacturne here.

Next Analysis: Iwaperesu.

..we remember him all right. But we don't dare to admit it.

This guy can probably be used to set-up sun in lower tiers, possibly as an anti-lead.

Marakacchi@Focus Sash/Heat Rock
- Sunny Day
- Spikes
- Solar Beam
- HP Fire

This is better than the "spiking in the sun" set because if it's a lead it won't have Chlorophyll activated and if it's not, Focus Sash is useless. This can be used as a sun sweeper but it's poor offensive stats leave it outclassed by Tangrowth, Exeggutor etc.

Looks like a wierd mix of cacturne and bellosum...

With a nice SpAtt but low speed and being fragile hinders it severely. I can see it only used paired with ninetales on sunny day teams we should be seeing more of those due to drought...

meh.

I don't see much use for this little guy sadly... Spikes is nice but there are better ysers even in lower tiers. and in sun he gets completely outclassed by most... Poor guy. at least his maraca sounds make Ludicolo happy I guess... Chlorophyll will help him out a bit.

His Spikes set seems like it could be... somewhat usable. Typically on a Sun-based team, though, you'd like to have your hazards set up BEFORE the sun comes out, that way you can get some extra damage once your opponent starts switching around to find the appropriate check. Its abilities are all pretty cool, and I think it can set up Subs on Wish Vaporeon if it doesn't have Ice Beam (don't think HP Electric breaks the Sub..), which could be somewhat useful. It's hard to forgo direct comparisons, because they both have extremely similar jobs, but whatever. His sprite is pretty fucking cool imo.

I can see this little guy having a niche in Doubles and more so triples on Sun teams or Trick Room teams. That is assuming Storm Drain makes Surf entirely useless and gives itself +1 sp. attack (Camerupt would love him lots). Outside of that, he does lack, but is cute enough i'd use him anyway xD

Honestly, Petal Dance with its upgrade is better than Grass Knot on Sunny Day teams. It always has 120 base power regardless of weather, and it wont trap you into confusion/using it 2-3 turns in a row if a Herbivore or Wonder Guard Pokemon switches in. With 106 Special Attack, it can hit fairly hard.

On the Steroids set use Life Orb to boost Sucker Punch and anything else, its not surviving much anyways, which also means it could use Focus Sash if necessary.

Steroids for the cactus

Marakacchi @Life Orb / Focus Sash
Naive Nature
EVs: 16 Atk/240 Sp.Atk/252 Spe

~ Growth
~ SolarBeam/Petal Dance
~ HP Fire
~ Sucker Punch

Oh and why not think of a Scarf Storm Drain Set? Can't it be good to have a fast Pokemon that has a + 1 Special Attack boost off of an already strong 106 Special Attack, especially if it can come in for free... i.e. against Quagsire. 360 Speed when Timid aint too bad in lower tiers. Use on a Sunny Day team, if Ninetails becomes OU, then Vulpix will do, this way you boost HP Fire, and can use Solar Beam; Petal Dance is so when Vulpix dies, it has a back-up.

Marakacchi @Choice Scarf
Naive Nature
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 SpA/252 Spe/ 4 Atk

~ Troll [If other teammates have it the power increases, so use Teammates with Troll]
~ Solar Beam / Petal Dance
~ HP Fire
~ Sucker Punch / Wood Hammer

You could also invest more into Attack since you plan on switching in Water moves which will boost Special Attack.

breh

強いだね
Er... why is everybody running max speed? I understand it on a CS set, but do you seriously need it on the others? Just run max HP.

Otherwise this guy isn't as bad as you make him out to be; storm drain is an amazing ability. Remember not to make him be outclassed by Shiftry though.

Don Honchkrorleone

Honestly, Petal Dance with its upgrade is better than Grass Knot on Sunny Day teams. It always has 120 base power regardless of weather, and it wont trap you into confusion/using it 2-3 turns in a row if a Herbivore or Wonder Guard Pokemon switches in. With 106 Special Attack, it can hit fairly hard.

On the Steroids set use Life Orb to boost Sucker Punch and anything else, its not surviving much anyways, which also means it could use Focus Sash if necessary.
Forgot completely about the LO. Thanks

I don't see Petal Dance that good in everything that isn't a Scarf or maybe a gimmicky Specs. It will trap me in a move that is resisted to Poison, Dragon, Fire, Steel, Bug, Flying and other Grasses. It's a chance to they set up. Also, Herbivores will kill me if I raise their attack.

Liked the Scarf set. Adding it to the OP.

I like the design, what's wrong with it? Though unfortunately it is like Gen4 Roselia- Whatever stats, okay movepool, and absolutely no use (Maybe it'll get an evolution and preevo in gen6!? lol). Water Absorb is pretty neat, but Cacturne gets that, too anyways. Storm Drain may find it's uses on a doubles Sunny Day team.

Also stop hating on Maggyo. :< Dunsparce has SHIT stats, Maggyo actually has defenses around Swampert's (Swampert 100/90/90 Maggyo 109/84/99. Actually, he has a stat total in defenses, better HP and SpD, but lower Def). And he gets Pain Split, and bunch of awesome attacks. BUT NOW'S NOT THE TIME AND PLACE TO DISCUSS MAGGYO'S AWESOMENESS

Marakacchi just seems so standard Grass-type it's not even funny :/. Maybe he'll be best buds with Bellossom in the obscure NU grass type barrel.

Don Honchkrorleone

Also stop hating on Maggyo. :< Dunsparce has SHIT stats, Maggyo actually has defenses around Swampert's (Swampert 100/90/90 Maggyo 109/84/99. Actually, he has a stat total in defenses, better HP and SpD, but lower Def). And he gets Pain Split, and bunch of awesome attacks. BUT NOW'S NOT THE TIME AND PLACE TO DISCUSS MAGGYO'S AWESOMENESS
LOL

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
I can see this little guy having a niche in Doubles and more so triples on Sun teams or Trick Room teams. That is assuming Storm Drain makes Surf entirely useless and gives itself +1 sp. attack (Camerupt would love him lots). Outside of that, he does lack, but is cute enough i'd use him anyway xD
I tested out storm drain and it only "pulls" water attacks if they're single-target.

Generally you'll find surf less often in doubles/triples because it also damages your partners, which usually is not a good idea unless your team is set up for it (such as a dry skin partner, for example)

Don Honchkrorleone

I tested out storm drain and it only "pulls" water attacks if they're single-target.

Generally you'll find surf less often in doubles/triples because it also damages your partners, which usually is not a good idea unless your team is set up for it (such as a dry skin partner, for example)
A reason to use it at doubles.

This might be a cool gimmicky set:

Marakacchi @ Bulb
Timid
252 Speed/252 SpAttack/4 HP
Grass Knot/Energy Ball
HP Fire
Sucker Punch
Synthesis

Come in on a water attack and you get instant +2 Special Attack. Can't outspeed much from here, but Energy Ball and HP Fire have decent coverage together. Synthesis is for healing (Keep away from Sandstorm and Rain, though) and Sucker Punch is there just or prioriry.

Although water immunities are always fun, Grass resists Water anyway, and this little guy can't really threaten them whilst they can ice beam back. I don't think even NU will appreciate this guy. He was designed for in-Game use IMO. At least Cherrim is useful in NU doubles (Don't underestimate him, despite it being painfully easy to)

Bulb doesn't work if the holder is immune to Water.

And OP, you may want to remove Troll (A Capella on PO), as it's been found to only increase in power if allies use it on the same turn in a double or triple battle (i.e. it's useless in singles).

Anyway, I've been running this set to some success (it's also the most used set on PO, due to the fact that I'm basically the only person who actually uses Maracachi):

YacheCachi
Maracachi @ Yache Berry
Modest, Storm Drain
252 HP / 252 Sp. Atk / 4 Sp. Def
- Giga Drain / Petal Dance
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Substitute
- Leech Seed

Basically an attacker that can SubSeed if needed. Its main advantage is being able to switch in to Water-types such as Politoed and Starmie, grab a Sp. Atk boost thanks to Storm Drain, easily survive Ice Beam thanks to Yache Berry, and 1HKO or 2HKO with Giga Drain (Giga Drain will recover off most of the damage from Yache'd Ice Beam, allowing you to survive another one if needed for the 2HKO).
+1 Giga Drain is actually pretty powerful; it can at least 2HKO most common Rain Dance team members, including neutral hits against Pokémon like Ludicolo (IIRC).
Petal Dance is there if you're feeling suicidal, as despite its huge base power, it doesn't have the recovery of Giga Drain and lets Fire, Steel, Flying, Grass and Dragon types come in and set up (especially the Dragons). If you have Ditto, however, Petal Dance could serve as a good lure.
It can also switch into Nattorei's Leech Seed. It can then Sub to avoid Thunder Wave (I don't think Gyro Ball breaks the Sub, especially if you run Quiet and minimum Speed), and 2HKO with HP Fire.
Sub lets you scout for switches, and can be followed up by a Leech Seed as your opponent breaks the Sub.

However, like any slow Grass-type, it's destroyed by Shadow Tag Chandela, and with only Grass and Fire moves, it's walled and easily KOed by Heatran and assorted Dragons not named Garchomp (which still beats it unless Maracachi has a Sub). But other than those, Grass and Fire are decent coverage; besides, you're not getting much better out of Maracachi's shallow movepool.

Overall, although it's not the best sweeper or the best SubSeeder, YacheCachi is a great counter to most bulky Waters, and Water-types in general. Yache Berry lets you grab surprise KOs on the more powerful Water-types, and less powerful ones are forced out or eat a Giga Drain if your opponent underestimates Maracachi's defenses.

Storm Drain is meh. He could be a good UU Trick Room pokemon.

And i believe the useless grass of Generation 4 should be Carnivine... but maybe that's just me.

Carnivine had decent Attack and Power Whip, but Tangrowth getting it was no fun for it and Venusaur and Victreebel getting it just pushed it furthur and furthur away.

Anyway, this guy seems more useful running a physical using Wood Hammer/Sucker Punch/Bounce or something. Its special options aren't really that great aside from Giga Drain/Petal Dance.

As for Yachekachhi, wouldn't HP Ice work better against the Grass/Dragon/Flyings? Sure you lose coverage against say Nattorei, but it's not like they'll ever really be in the same tier.

EDIT: Realized this guy doesn't even get Swords Dance... thus joining, what, Wormadam and PokeBallMushroom for the only Grass types that can't learn it.

With HP Ice, you lose out on Steels in general. I'll give it a try; I'm not sure why I didn't use it in the first place (I don't use Grass types that often).

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Well, this thing actually can work in the sun due to fast entry hazards and ability to absorb...erm...Water-type moves. Not that Anybody's gonna use Water-type moves in the sun though. Anyways, I think that's all our new cactus can do to have a niche in the ranks of Roserade and the other generic support Grass-types.

In this case, I think Marakacchi should just make due with an offensive set with Spikes like Roserade does. Poor thing can only rely on Ninetales and his meager stats to be viable.

Marakacchi needs chlorophyll and sun to do anything significant.

but even then, it doesnt get stab off of sucker punch, which really hurts the damage.

cacturne gets dual stab and is a better mixed attacker.

HP | ATK | DEF | SP.ATK | SP.DEF | SPE
Marakachhi: 75 86 67 106 67 60
Cacturne: 70 115 60 115 60 55

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)