Roserade

Roserade has always been one of my favorite gen 4 pokemon, and it got a cool new boost in gen 5 with its new Dream World ability. Read on to see what I mean

Roserade

HP: 60
attack: 75
defense: 55
Special attack: 125
Special defense:105
Speed: 90

abilities:
Natural Cure: Any status effect goes away upon switching out. Usually a very good ability and still should be standard on most sets.
Poison Point: If Roserade is hot by a contact move the enemy has a chance of being poisoned. Normal poison is pretty crappy, so it tends to be inferior.
Technician: Any move with a base power of base 60 or less gets a 1.5X boost. A great ability, as Roserade is the first special attacker to take advantage of this to use Hidden Power. However, since Roselia and Budew get a different dream world ability, chances are you cant use any pre-evo moves on this pokemon.
Leaf Guard: Opponent-induced burn, paralysis, poison, and sleep are blocked while Sunny Day is in effect. It gets this from a dream world budew evolving. Generally an inferior Natural Cure.

level Up moves:
budew: Lv1: Absorb, Lv4: Growth, Lv7: Water Sport, Lv10: Stun Spore, Lv13: Mega Drain, Lv16: Worry Seed
roselia: Lv1: Absorb, Lv4: Growth, Lv7: Poison Sting, Lv10: Stun Spore, Lv13: Mega Drain, Lv16: Leech Seed, Lv19: Magical Leaf, Lv22: GrassWhistle, Lv25: Giga Drain, Lv28: Toxic Spikes, Lv31: Sweet Scent, Lv34: Ingrain, Lv37: Toxic, Lv40: Petal Dance, Lv43: Aromatherapy, Lv46: Synthesis
Roserade: Weather ball, poison sting, mega drain, magical leaf, sweet scent

egg moves:
Budew :
Spikes
Synthesis
Pin Missile
Cotton Spore
Sleep Powder
Razor Leaf
Mind Reader
Leaf Storm
Extrasensory
Seed Bomb
Giga Drain
Natural Gift
GrassWhistle

note that roselia gets all the same moves as egg moves, except for extrasensory.

TM/HMs learnt: toxic, hidden power, venom shock, sunny day, hyper beam, protect, Rain dance, frustration, solar beam, return, shadow ball, double team, Sludge bomb, facade, rest, attract, rest, troll, energy ball, giga impact, flash, sword dance, psych up, poison jab, Grass knot, swagger, substitute, cut.

Needless to say, roserade didn’t gain too much in the generation switch, outside of technician. It also is probably the only grass type sad about giga drain’s boosted power, since without it, it would have been an amazing move, restoring health and having 90 BP + stab. Instead, it must rely on grass knot. The reason why GK is used over energy ball is because if it has 60 power, it increases back to 90, namely, against vaporeon. Troll is a nice base 90 neutral move. We also have the base 90 move type of your choice using hidden power (59). Roserade can also run spikes or toxic spikes, and with Ninetails support can use solar beam, etc.

Heres the set:

Roserade@ Life orb/choice scarf / choice specs
modest/timid
technician
252 SpA / 252 speed / 4HP (will change depending on threats)
~Grass knot
~Hidden power (fire/ice)
~ weather ball
~ synthesis / sleep powder / shadow ball / toxic / spikes / toxic spikes / sludge bomb

Otherwise, everything else is pretty much the same as gen 4.
discuss.

Why not run Magical Leaf instead of Grass Knot? Basically with Technician it becomes a STAB Aura Sphere for Grass-type.

Roserade was my ultimate favourite for a very long time. I'm glad there's finally a thread for her.

I've heard that Petal Dance got pumped up to 120 base power. Coming from Roserade, that's almost as powerful as an Outrage from Garchomp, but with an inferior typing. It could work if you want to clear up at the end of a match, or you know the opponent doesn't have any obvious grass resists.

Why not run Magical Leaf instead of Grass Knot, basically with Technician it becomes a STAB Aura Sphere for Grass-type.
They're equally viable to be honest. I'd opt for Grass Knot seeing as there are alot of heavier threats in OU. Weather Ball will become amazing in this Generation seeing as how many Weather inducers there are, tied with the fact that Weather is always popular.

Roserade @ Life Orb
Timid
Technician
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
~ Grass Knot
~ Weather Ball
~ Hidden Power [Ground] - 60 BP
~ Synthesis / Sleep Powder

Will there even be any use for Sludge Bomb?

Only if you're leading with a suicide Roserade would Technician ever be useful. HP Fire/Ground reaching ~ the BP of Flamethrower and Earth Power would help Roserade beat stuff like Metagross and Celebi in the lead spot. However apart from that Natural Cure is 100% more useful - on a choice set, special attacking set, mid-game spiking set.. if you're going offensive the ability to shed paralysis is huge and if you're going defensive absorbing status or using Natural Cure + Rest helps much more than a boosted Hidden Power will ever be.

Technician: Any move with a base power of base 60 or less gets a 1.5X boost. A great ability, as Roserade is the first special attacker to take advantage of this to use Hidden Power. However, since Roselia and Budew get a different dream world ability, chances are you cant use any pre-evo moves on this pokemon.
...? No, pretty sure you can still use pre-evo moves on Technician Roserade. The ability will just change from Poison Point into Technician as it evolves, afaik.

Technician feels like a bit of a waste on Roserade. The only good move that can make use of it is Hidden Power. :/ And... Troll? Really? Pretty much completely useless, not to mention the fact that the mechanics of the move are still fairly ambiguous. Won't it lose the Technician boost if the base power increases anyway? I would suggest just the standard:

- Grass Knot / Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power Fire/whatever (with 60 BP)
- Toxic Spikes
- Sleep Powder

If you want to make use of Technician. Personally, I'd probably stick with Natural Cure. Roserade isn't that amazing offensively - it's more of a support mon.

I think that Doreida does a better job with Petal Dance, because of Own Tempo and Butterfly Dance.

Roserade has Poison Point, not Leaf Guard.

Roserade @ Life Orb
Technician
Timid
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
~ Sleep Powder
~ Growth
~ Grass Knot
~ Hidden Power [Ground]

This set could work on an offensive oriented team.

Roserade was let down, I would much rather have seen her get Perversion / Contradiction. STAB Leaf Storm with a +2 SpAtk boost for free coming off 125 SpAtk? Yes, please. However we got what could be the worse possible match for this Pokémon. I'm sticking with Natural Cure so she can be my status absorber / Toxic Spikes absorber...

This thread just won the award for epic win thread of the day. Congratulations.

I always liked to use a tank like annoying roserade.

Roserade @Black Sludge
Timid
Natural Cure

252 HP/ 120 SpDef/ 136 Spe
-Leech Seed
-Spikes/Toxic Spikes
-Protect/Substitue
-Energy Ball/Sludge Bomb/Hp Fire

Somewhat of an unconventional set considering roserade boasts that 125 base SpAtt, but it's usefull for setting up entry hazards and is suprisingly resilient shrugging off attacks from gengar, jolteon, starmie and other special sweepers.

Only if you're leading with a suicide Roserade would Technician ever be useful. HP Fire/Ground reaching ~ the BP of Flamethrower and Earth Power would help Roserade beat stuff like Metagross and Celebi in the lead spot. However apart from that Natural Cure is 100% more useful - on a choice set, special attacking set, mid-game spiking set.. if you're going offensive the ability to shed paralysis is huge and if you're going defensive absorbing status or using Natural Cure + Rest helps much more than a boosted Hidden Power will ever be.
To be honest I disagree a bit. While Natural Cure of course is good ability, however does Roserade really hate status ? For first it's immune to poison, while it doesn't mind WoW much, especially with Leech Seed/Synthesis. Only crippling status is paralysis against Roserade, which you may absorb with Ground type, as Grass/Poison and Ground cover pretty much each other weaknesses except Ice, so something else to take Ice would be nice and voila - it's ready. 90 BP Hidden Power Fire/Ground is just neat, ESPECIALLY when Roserade learn Weather Ball (however I'm not sure if you can have both Dream World Ability + Weather Ball), so you may have better coverage then other Grass types.

Toothache

Let the music play!
is a Community Leader Alumnus
Remember that in order to use maximum speed with Hidden Power, it is best to go for 59 Power rather than 60.

To be honest I disagree a bit. While Natural Cure of course is good ability, however does Roserade really hate status ? For first it's immune to poison, while it doesn't mind WoW much, especially with Leech Seed/Synthesis. Only crippling status is paralysis against Roserade, which you may absorb with Ground type, as Grass/Poison and Ground cover pretty much each other weaknesses except Ice, so something else to take Ice would be nice and voila - it's ready. 90 BP Hidden Power Fire/Ground is just neat, ESPECIALLY when Roserade learn Weather Ball (however I'm not sure if you can have both Dream World Ability + Weather Ball), so you may have better coverage then other Grass types.
Natural Cure made it an amazing Status Absorber. Yes, it might not mind being inflicted with status' but its teammates sure do.

Remember that in order to use maximum speed with Hidden Power, it is best to go for 59 Power rather than 60.
What are the IVs? c:

stupid venom shock is base 65 power
...? No, pretty sure you can still use pre-evo moves on Technician Roserade. The ability will just change from Poison Point into Technician as it evolves, afaik.
Tech is a dream world ability. However Roselia's drewam world ability is leaf guard. However, since DW abilities are breedable, does that mean the budew will have leaf guard or technician?
Roserade @ Life Orb
Technician
Timid
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
~ Sleep Powder
~ Growth
~ Grass Knot
~ Hidden Power [Ground]

This set could work on an offensive oriented team.
I think nasty plot celebi outclasses this by alot. Even growth shaymin does it better.

This thread just won the award for epic win thread of the day. Congratulations.

I always liked to use a tank like annoying roserade.

Roserade @Black Sludge
Timid
Natural Cure

252 HP/ 120 SpDef/ 136 Spe
-Leech Seed
-Spikes/Toxic Spikes
-Protect/Substitue
-Energy Ball/Sludge Bomb/Hp Fire

Somewhat of an unconventional set considering roserade boasts that 125 base SpAtt, but it's usefull for setting up entry hazards and is suprisingly resilient shrugging off attacks from gengar, jolteon, starmie and other special sweepers.
Have you seen the BST's of the new pokemon? they are much higher than starmie's base 100 SpA stat. THis thing really isn't viable anymore

I think natural cure is better on support sets, but this is better when sweeping. Also, i forgot about weather ball, which with no weather out now is base 75 power, and otherwise gets a boost from the weather.

Does Technician increase Grass Knot if it's power is 60? That would be pretty good and would trump something like Magical Leaf then right?

Yeah, I'm necroposting- but this is worth talking about. Venom Shock is 65 base power, but doubles if the foe is Poisoned.

A 130 base power STAB attack? With no drawbacks? Off a 125 base SpA?

And a new 120 BP Petal Dance? (not sure why that's Special, but I'll take it!)

Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

Roserade@Life Orb
Timid
252 SpA/252 Spe/4 HP
Natural Gift

-Toxic Spikes
-Venom Shock
-Hidden Power (Fire)
-Petal Dance

Its most powerful moves are walled by Steel types (and Poison is a crappy offensive type anyway) but this gives Roserade a no-drawbacks 130 BP STAB attack, which is absolutely crazy.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Toxic Spikes and LO just don't mix. Petal Dance isn't good for him either, since being forced into a Grass type move for 2-3 turns is one of the worst things you could do to yourself. Venom Shock may seem cool at first when you're throwing down Toxic Spikes, but you really do need the immediate power of Sludge Bomb to hit Flying types consistently and reliably.

You can pass on HP Fire for HP Ground, since Scizor is perfectly capable of beating you every time with Bullet Punch and no bulk investment. Also, you're going to kill Heatran instead of giving him a Flash Fire boost, you still get to hit most other Steels, and you don't have to ever worry about losing a speed tie with other base 90s. Sleep Powder is far too invaluable for Roserade to pass up on when you have the option, so it needs to be somewhere on this set as well. Lastly, I think you were looking for "Natural Cure", not "Natural Gift".

As for his Gen 5 outlook, it really is a shame how little Roserade can do with Technician. The best he can do is up his HP a bit at the cost of some IVs and use Magical Leaf as a mid tier attack. Since the metagame looks to be once again dominated by Dragons, even moreso than it's ever been, I think Rosie will settle comfortably to a nice spot in UU. I'm positive he'll end up being top-tier there, though.

Rofl this is awkward.....Well anyway still somewhat cool.It will probably not overthrow natural cure though but sure will give us fun theorymons ^.^.Anyway i suppose as Roserade dsn't mind status that much really it could probably work...Kinda a meh ability but heh works i suppose.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
ehhh I don't see Roserade changing much this Gen, personally It will still be a great user of Toxic Spikes (its main niche) and it can throw around Sleep Powder as well. Absorbing Toxic Spikes on entry is also a plus. Its kinda sad for it though as Gen 5 actually proght in grass types that linda outclass the niches that Roserade was good for (eg Nuttre can now do the hazards thing slightly better)

I haven't really done much research(I'm so confused), but I'm seeing that draining attacks got a boost in BP. Now that Giga Drain has increase in power( I believe it's 75 now?), does that mean that Mega Drain has also increased? If it was also increased by 15 BP, that could make it pretty viable.

I haven't really done much research(I'm so confused), but I'm seeing that draining attacks got a boost in BP. Now that Giga Drain has increase in power( I believe it's 75 now?), does that mean that Mega Drain has also increased? If it was also increased by 15 BP, that could make it pretty viable.
Mega Drain still only has a BP of 40, otherwise Technician with Mega drain would be really strong and a good way for recovery.

breh

強いだね
At first I did a double take with the abilities lol; it's poison point not leaf guard... leaf guard Budew lose leaf guard upon evolution and get Technician as Roselias, just like it has been documented that Inner Focus (DW) Darumakka evolves into Daruma Mode Hihidaruma.

Anyway this is hilarious... every grass type but Roserade benefits from the giga Drain boost but Roserade xD

However, with the Growth boost, Growth in Sunny Day could be a potentially good set. Not much can resist a +2 120 Base Power attack running off of 125 Base SpA... Essentially something like Weather Ball / Petal Dance / HP Ground / Growth.

Such a pity it didn't get Chlorophyll; that would have been a pretty big boon to SD.

I actually ran a weather ball set with Roserade last gen, it worked pretty well. I can only remember the actual moveset.
Sunny Day
Rain Dance
Solarbeam
Weather Ball

Roserade was let down, I would much rather have seen her get Perversion / Contradiction. STAB Leaf Storm with a +2 SpAtk boost for free coming off 125 SpAtk? Yes, please. However we got what could be the worse possible match for this Pokémon. I'm sticking with Natural Cure so she can be my status absorber / Toxic Spikes absorber...
I think we'd all love for some Pokémon to get Contrary, like Arcanine with Close Combat would be good? Salamence Draco Meteor spam?
Loads can abuse Contrary, that's why only few have it.
I think Technician is great because it gives it another option, it can Lead much better now IMO.
And Weather Ball is gonna be great this Gen, not amazing, but I like it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)