Tyranitar

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor

Tyranitar - ROCK DARK
100 / 134 / 110 / 100 / 61
Sand Stream: Summon's a Permanent SandStorm.
Tension: Opponent cannot eat their Berry.

Larvitar: Lv1: Bite, Lv1: Leer, Lv5: Sandstorm, Lv10: Screech, Lv14: [M498], Lv19: Rock Slide, Lv23: Scary Face, Lv28: Thrash, Lv32: Dark Pulse, Lv37: Payback, Lv41: Crunch, Lv46: Earthquake, Lv50: Stone Edge, Lv55: Hyper Beam

Pupitar: Lv1: Bite, Lv1: Leer, Lv1: Sandstorm, Lv1: Screech, Lv5: Sandstorm, Lv10: Screech, Lv14: [M498], Lv19: Rock Slide, Lv23: Scary Face, Lv28: Thrash, Lv34: Dark Pulse, Lv41: Payback, Lv47: Crunch, Lv54: Earthquake, Lv60: Stone Edge, Lv67: Hyper Beam

Tyranitar: Lv1: Thunder Fang, Lv1: Ice Fang, Lv1: Fire Fang, Lv1: Bite, Lv1: Leer, Lv1: Sandstorm, Lv1: Screech, Lv5: Sandstorm, Lv10: Screech, Lv14: [M498], Lv19: Rock Slide, Lv23: Scary Face, Lv28: Thrash, Lv34: Dark Pulse, Lv41: Payback, Lv47: Crunch, Lv54: Earthquake, Lv63: Stone Edge, Lv73: Hyper Beam, Lv82: Giga Impact

Pursuit
Stomp
Outrage
Focus Energy
AncientPower
Dragon Dance
Curse
Iron Defense
Assurance
Iron Head
Stealth Rock
Iron Tail

TM01 - Claw Sharpen, TM02 - Dragon Claw, TM05 - Roar, TM06 - Toxic, TM10 - Hidden Power, TM11 - Sunny Day, TM12 - Taunt, TM13 - Ice Beam, TM14 - Blizzard, TM15 - Hyper Beam, TM17 - Protect, TM18 - Rain Dance, TM21 - Frustration, TM23 - Strike Down, TM24 - Thunderbolt, TM25 - Thunder, TM26 - Earthquake, TM27 - Return, TM28 - Dig, TM31 - Brick Break, TM32 - Double Team, TM35 - Flamethower, TM37 - Sandstorm, TM38 - Fire Blast , TM39 - Rock Tomb, TM40 - Aerial Ace, TM41 - Torment, TM42 - Facade, TM44 - Rest, TM45 - Attract, TM48 - Troll, TM52 - Focus Blast, TM56 - Fling, TM59 - Complete Burn, TM65 - Shadow Claw, TM66 - Payback, TM67 - Get Even, TM68 - Giga Impact, TM69 - Rock Polish, TM71 - Stone Edge, TM73 - Thunder Wave, TM78 - Smooth Over, TM80 - Rock Slide, TM82 - Dragon Tail, TM87 - Swagger, TM90 - Substitute, TM94 - Rock Smash, TM95 - Back Out, HM01 - Cut, HM03 - Surf, HM04 - Strength

Why to Use Tyranitar:

Access To Sand Stream:This makes Tyranitar great. It raises His Sp.Def by 1.5x, but also makes Pokemon like Dooryuzu all the more dangerous.

Great STABs: Having STAB on pursuit is great, as it means you don't have to worry about Ghosts- and Psychics-. STAB Stone Edge also messes a lot of things up.

Hard-Hitting: 134 Attack is massive, especially when further boosted by Choice Band or Dragon Dance.

Common Weakness: It's not all Sandstorms and Rainbows for TTar (Pun intended) Having Weakness to Fight-, Water-, Grass-, Ground-, Bug-, and Steel-, all common Attacking Types, limits him.

Potential Sets:

Choice:
Tyranitar @ Choice Band / Choice Scarf
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def Adamant for Choice Band
252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe Jolly for Choice Scarf
~Stone Edge
~Pursuit
~Crunch
~Earthquake

~ Great for SandStorm based Teams.

~Great Counter for Ghost- Types, such as Shanderra and Gengar.

~Choice Band packs amazing Power and Bulk, while Choice Scarf sets make good Revenge Killers.

DD Tar:
Tyranitar @ Life Orb
252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe Jolly / Adamant
~Stone Edge
~Crunch
~Dragon Dance
~Earthqucke / Thunderpunch

~Great Set-Up sweeper

~Stone Edge and Crunch give you great coverage, while Earthquake can be used for Steel- Types while Thunderpunch is for Water- Types.

~Shanderra is a great partner for this set, as TTar can lure in Scizor, and Shanderra can come in and kill him off.

~Tension could be used if you want to use him in Drought / Drizzle teams.

Opinions?

So give this a try: What are the changes for Tyranitar?
- Egg move Stealth Rocks: Why Tyranitar obviously already knew that move in Gen IV, having it still without needing to transfer it from Gen IV might be useful. Sadly, especially since not much has changed for him in Gen V, so he does not gain that much an advantage from that. However, it could be more tempting to use Leadttar than ever.
- Tension: Bullshit. Simply put, I cannot imagine one possible situation where this might be useful...
- Competition: This is probably the most significant change for Tyranitar: In Gen IV, he just needed to come in once a game and could pretty much ensure that a sandstorm was raging for the rest of the game. This seems to not be the case anymore. Tyranitar will have to summon its storm mutliple times a battle and more importantly, will need to stay alive longer than the foe's weather inducer. This will probably make more defensive or supportive sets more viable.

i dont think tyranitar will be competing to keep sand stream up, rather teams that utilize tyranitar will be able to take other weather summoners out before showing tar. also if you get politoad/ninetails down enough health then tyranitar's pursuit (especially in conjunction with scarf) allows him to take care of his own competition.

i dont think tyranitar will be competing to keep sand stream up, rather teams that utilize tyranitar will be able to take other weather summoners out before showing tar. also if you get politoad/ninetails down enough health then tyranitar's pursuit (especially in conjunction with scarf) allows him to take care of his own competition.
You yould say that about any other weather as well. Every team would like to take out other weather inducers before showing its own... Pursuit, though, is a huge plus when you want to come in directly at other weather inducers. Ninetails is gonna have major problems with this, possibly running Roar, Hypnosis, Confuse Ray or HP Fighting because of this. Politoed will threaten Ttar with Boiling Watern or Focus Blast, though. And even IF you're manage to hold back your Ttar, you've still been fighting over the weather with him as you wouldn't have held it back in Gen IV (for example).

Whoa, Tension is great. For teams that don't want sandstorm, you can have tension.
Well, yeah, that'd basically be in Rain and Sun. But there, I can only imagine him in Grass-based sun teams to revenge Shandeera...

I think Tyrrantiar will face less usage in Gen4 as Hippodown outclasses it as a weather supporter and The Croc will give it competition as a scarfer.

You yould say that about any other weather as well. Every team would like to take out other weather inducers before showing its own... Pursuit, though, is a huge plus when you want to come in directly at other weather inducers. Ninetails is gonna have major problems with this, possibly running Roar, Hypnosis, Confuse Ray or HP Fighting because of this. Politoed will threaten Ttar with Boiling Watern or Focus Blast, though. And even IF you're manage to hold back your Ttar, you've still been fighting over the weather with him as you wouldn't have held it back in Gen IV (for example).
no, you cant put tyranitar in the same group as other weather summoners because sand stream isnt the main reason to use tyranitar. most teams that have tyranitar do not necessarily need sand stream out first turn, unlike rain and sun team that do. sand stream on tyranitar isnt good because it helps out the players team, but because it ruins the opponents team.

Ttar has a major use because of the new viability of rain and sun, and to a lesser extent hail teams. just bringing it out will stop the other weather and either dent the power of the oppenets rain or sun abusers, or force a switch back to politoad or ninetails making easier prediction

I think TTar will still see very consistent use even if only because he is an absolutely vital revenge killer of Shadow Tag Shanderaa, being resistant to its two STABs, having monster sp def, and taking it out with Pursuit.

no, you cant put tyranitar in the same group as other weather summoners because sand stream isnt the main reason to use tyranitar. most teams that have tyranitar do not necessarily need sand stream out first turn, unlike rain and sun team that do. sand stream on tyranitar isnt good because it helps out the players team, but because it ruins the opponents team.
That was last gen.
As it seems now, every team needs one good answer to weather and (as long as you are not redundant) tyranitar will be your answer on a sandstorm team. That's what I was trying to say: Weather is not a "side-effect thing" anymore.
I mean, I totally get your point: Rain teams need rain to attempt their sweep. Sandstorm teams mostly don't (except for Doryuuzu, basically). But that is why Rain and Sun will push things and once you see Ninetails on the field, Tyranitar is out. And I suppose no player will let his Ninetails die in his first sweeping attempt, so you can't let you Ttar die, either.
That's my whole point: Until now, Sandstorm teams could be lazy with their weather. They had to play Tyranitar sooner or later anyways and setting up Sandstorm 5 rounds earlier was not worth a rsiking a dangerous switch-in. I think these times are over now. You need your Sandstorm the latest when your opponent sets up another weather.

Tension ability isn't horrible in one simple thing - in doubles/triples.

Think about it - For example you go with Smeargle/Tyranitar pair, and thanks to Tension Lum Berries... doesn't work. Smeargle may use Dark Void right now without any problems, and Tyranitar use for example this free turn for Dragon Dance or something. Quite situational ability, however may have some uses. Especially when your Smeargle uses Focus Sash, so you won't break it. But yeah, in singles it's pretty much useless. However I'm not sure if Lum Berry won't activate when for example Tyranitar is out and sleeping Pokemon come back into field again. Would Lum Berry activate or not ?

Actually, I'd say that Tension T-tar has a niche on Sun teams, if only for it's ability to take out Shandera with a STAB'd Pursuit while resisting Shandera's STABs.

I think TTar will still see very consistent use even if only because he is an absolutely vital revenge killer of Shadow Tag Shanderaa, being resistant to its two STABs, having monster sp def, and taking it out with Pursuit.

And he is the better Sandstormer than Hippowdonn.

The Hippo cannot hope to take out the Frog and the Fox as good as Tyranitar.

Tyranitar can actually switch into the Fox, thanks to a Fire resistance,being able to outspeed with Scar(and be viable with Scarf) and gets a spe def boost.While the Hippo is neutral to fire and will always be slower...Plus his special defense sucks.

Against the Frog, Tyranitar has the increased sp Def and is can be faster....

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
And he is the better Sandstormer than Hippowdonn.

The Hippo cannot hope to take out the Frog and the Fox as good as Tyranitar.

Tyranitar can actually switch into the Fox, thanks to a Fire resistance,being able to outspeed with Scar(and be viable with Scarf) and gets a spe def boost.While the Hippo is neutral to fire and will always be slower...Plus his special defense sucks.

Against the Frog, Tyranitar has the increased sp Def and is can be faster....
The Thing about Ninetales is that he can burn you, Put you to Sleep, HP fighting you, or switch out if you're scarfed (Scarf Pursuit doesn't kill)

I have a feeling some sort of Lead set will be the most popular for Tyranitar, atleast right in the begining. With all the great Sandstorm Pokemon like Doryuuzu, Sandstorm teams will be popping up everywhere and people will either lead with Tyranitar or Hippowdon. I don't have any ideas for a lead set other than simply copying the one in the analysis so I'll just leave that to someone else.

The Thing about Ninetales is that he can burn you, Put you to Sleep, HP fighting you, or switch out if you're scarfed (Scarf Pursuit doesn't kill)

I didn't say it was a real hard counter..i said it was a better counter than the Hippo...The Hippo will be taking Stabbed Fire Blast whenever he switches in, then he can be put to sleep or Fire Blasted agian depending on previous damage...And the Hippo can't hurt a fleeing Fox..Get it?Tyranitar is a better counter than the Hippo against the Fox.

I have a feeling some sort of Lead set will be the most popular for Tyranitar, atleast right in the begining. With all the great Sandstorm Pokemon like Doryuuzu, Sandstorm teams will be popping up everywhere and people will either lead with Tyranitar or Hippowdon. I don't have any ideas for a lead set other than simply copying the one in the analysis so I'll just leave that to someone else.
An interesting point is IMO if people will opt to use both Hippowdon and Tyranitar to ensure their weather is up.

If you don't run rain (or a sun team, should that be viable) then you probably want tyranitar on your team to keep from getting destroyed by perma-weather.

For this reason I expect his usageto actually go up

I think ttar with tension might be good. I always need tyranitar to fill holes in my team, but i dont like the sandstorm it brings.

Pidge

('◇')
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
I've been using this Tyranitar with a lot of success. All calculations are using Slipperjeans's Excel calculator and opposing Pokemon EV spreads+nature here:

http://91.121.107.186/Dream World/index.html

It's not meant to be a lead, btw.

Tyranitar @ Expert Belt / Leftovers
~Stone Edge
~Crunch
~Flamethrower
~Substitute
Nature: Gentle (+SpDef, -Def)
EVs: 164 HP / 48 Atk / 252 SpDef / 44 Spe

Tyranitar (0 EVs, Neutral Nature) Stone Edge vs Politoed (252/0 EVs, Neutral Nature): 46 ~ 54.1%
Politoed (92 EVs, Neutral Nature) Boil Over vs Tyranitar (164/252 EVs, +Nature): 21.9 ~ 26.7% (Sandstorm)
Politoed (92 EVs, Neutral Nature) Hydro Pump vs Tyranitar(164/252 EVs, +Nature): 32.9 ~ 39.2% (Sandstorm)

Running this Tyranitar over Hippowdon on a Sandstorm team is something everyone should consider. Why? The major reason is because it kicks Politoed's ass. Stone Edge can 2-3HKO Politoed, while you out speed it. Basically, you can come in on Politoed, take away rain, and then either chip away at Politoed and remove their permanent rain for the battle if you KO it, or force them out with your weather in play, saving Tyranitar for the next time Politoed comes in.

Substitute is great to run with so many Shandera around. Tyranitar is able to be sent in versus Shandera and set up a Substitute, and then attack accordingly. Substitute also has has its use against any Porygon2 that tries to status Tyranitar, although Tyranitar will have to rely on getting a defensive drop or two with Crunch to KO the thing, but Porygon2 will find itself using Recover a lot, while its Ice Beam takes 3 hits to break Tyranitar's Sub.

Even with little attack investment, Stone Edge and Crunch are Tyranitar's bread and butter moves, and can OHKO just about whatever is weak to it.

Flamethrower is this Tyranitar's secret weapon and allows it to 2HKO typical Skarmory and Nattorei spreads, and OHKO Forretress (after SR) and Scizor, who sometimes likes to get cocky and U-turn instead of Bullet Punch (they almost always do this when you're behind a Sub), which is why the Speed EVs are set to 44, to out speed 8 Speed Scizor. Be careful attacking Nattorei and Scizor without a Substitute, though.

Tyranitar@Expert Belt (0 EVs, Neutral Nature) Flamethrower vs Nattorei (252/196 EVs, +Nature): 61.3 ~ 72.1%
Tyranitar@Expert Belt (0 EVs, Neutral Nature) Flamethrower vs Skarmory (252/0 EVs, Neutral Nature): 63.1 ~ 74.5%

Besides Politoed and Shandera, Tyranitar can be sent in against other Special Attackers, most notably: Espeon, Zapdos, and Borutorosu. Additionally, Tyranitar can come in on Heatran, Sazandora, and Lati@s, but they often carry moves that can hurt Tyranitar considerably, so it's best to switch in if you know they will be Choiced onto something Tyranitar can take.

Tyranitar also destroys the Sunny weather starter: Ninetales. This is something Hippowdon can't do very safely.

Expert Belt may not significantly change any 2HKOs to OHKOs, but it helps you feint a Choice Scarf, which Tyranitar's most popular set uses.

I've been using this Tyranitar with a lot of success. All calculations are using Slipperjeans's Excel calculator and opposing Pokemon EV spreads+nature here:

http://91.121.107.186/Dream%20World/index.html

It's not meant to be a lead, btw.

Tyranitar @ Expert Belt / Leftovers
~Stone Edge
~Crunch
~Flamethrower
~Substitute
Nature: Gentle (+SpDef, -Def)
EVs: 164 HP / 48 Atk / 252 SpDef / 44 Spe

Tyranitar (0 EVs, Neutral Nature) Stone Edge vs Politoed (252/0 EVs, Neutral Nature): 46 ~ 54.1%
Politoed (92 EVs, Neutral Nature) Boil Over vs Tyranitar (164/252 EVs, +Nature): 21.9 ~ 26.7% (Sandstorm)
Politoed (92 EVs, Neutral Nature) Hydro Pump vs Tyranitar(164/252 EVs, +Nature): 32.9 ~ 39.2% (Sandstorm)

Running this Tyranitar over Hippowdon on a Sandstorm team is something everyone should consider. Why? The major reason is because it kicks Politoed's ass. Stone Edge can 2-3HKO Politoed, while you out speed it. Basically, you can come in on Politoed, take away rain, and then either chip away at Politoed and remove their permanent rain for the battle if you KO it, or force them out with your weather in play, saving Tyranitar for the next time Politoed comes in.

Substitute is great to run with so many Shandera around. Tyranitar is able to be sent in versus Shandera and set up a Substitute, and then attack accordingly. Substitute also has has its use against any Porygon2 that tries to status Tyranitar, although Tyranitar will have to rely on getting a defensive drop or two with Crunch to KO the thing, but Porygon2 will find itself using Recover a lot, while its Ice Beam takes 3 hits to break Tyranitar's Sub.

Even with little attack investment, Stone Edge and Crunch are Tyranitar's bread and butter moves, and can OHKO just about whatever is weak to it.

Flamethrower is this Tyranitar's secret weapon and allows it to 2HKO typical Skarmory and Nattorei spreads, and OHKO Forretress (after SR) and Scizor, who sometimes likes to get cocky and U-turn instead of Bullet Punch (they almost always do this when you're behind a Sub), which is why the Speed EVs are set to 44, to out speed 8 Speed Scizor. Be careful attacking Nattorei and Scizor without a Substitute, though.

Tyranitar@Expert Belt (0 EVs, Neutral Nature) Flamethrower vs Nattorei (252/196 EVs, +Nature): 61.3 ~ 72.1%
Tyranitar@Expert Belt (0 EVs, Neutral Nature) Flamethrower vs Skarmory (252/0 EVs, Neutral Nature): 63.1 ~ 74.5%

Besides Politoed and Shandera, Tyranitar can be sent in against other Special Attackers, most notably: Espeon, Zapdos, and Borutorosu. Additionally, Tyranitar can come in on Heatran, Sazandora, and Lati@s, but they often carry moves that can hurt Tyranitar considerably, so it's best to switch in if you know they will be Choiced onto something Tyranitar can take.

Tyranitar also destroys the Sunny weather starter: Ninetales. This is something Hippowdon can't do very safely.

Expert Belt may not significantly change any 2HKOs to OHKOs, but it helps you feint a Choice Scarf, which Tyranitar's most popular set uses.
Gentle isn't a good nature for Tyranitar (and comp. battling in general). I'd rather have it go Brave or Quiet (even though it kills some of your Speed a bit).

Also, I'm wondering how TyraniBoah will do this generation? (taken from its Gen IV analysis):
-Substitute
-Focus Punch
-Dark Pulse/Crunch
-Ice Beam/Thunderbolt/Flamethrower
Nature: Quiet
EVs: 252 HP/60 Atk/176 SpA/20 Spe
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I've been using BOAH a bit on PO's ladder, and I like it a lot. Especially with the big popularity of Nattorei, Tyranitar can Fire Blast/ Flamethrower it to death quite easily.

And with Pursuit it's one of the best to revenge killer of Shandera.( not talking about BOAH here)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)