B&W Research Thread

I saw on Bulbapedia that Sacred Sword, the signature move of the Fighting-Type Musketeers apparently ignores defensive boosts. Has anyone tested this for accuracy and/or to see if it works through Reflect? I didn't see it on the front page, so I'm wondering if anyone's got around to testing it.

I remember someone mentioning the attack Knock Down in this thread, but I don't see any info in the first post, so I'll ask about it again:

1) Does Knock Down work on just flying types, or are levitating Pokemon affected as well?

2) How long does the grounded affect last?

I'd say the best way to test the first one is to have a Pokemon that knows both Knock Down and any Ground attack against a Pokemon with Levitate. The second is probably best tested by using Knock Down on a lower level flying type Pokemon and then spamming non-damaging attacks to see how long it's grounded.

Death Phenomeno

I'm polite so just for clarity, when I'm cross I
is a Contributor Alumnus
I ran into something interesting just a moment ago...an Scizor with Superpower...on RANDOM WI-FI!
I thought that thing was banned?
To follow this:

Someone at GameFAQs posted the following video showing his Azelf with Stealth Rock and his Salamence with Outrage. The video begins with him showing the card and turning on his DS and going through the whole process of a random Wi-Fi battle.

There are a couple of conclusions one can immediately draw:

Aside from the obvious "someone must be lying/hacking".

Just a tidbit about Zoroark's Illusion ability: Sandstorm does not deactivate it. Also, you do not copy the Pokemon's level. For example, my Zoroark copied my lv. 80 Emboar, but he appears as a lv. 31 Emboar (my Zoroark is lv. 31).

At the request of TheMaskedNitpicker, jumpluff and I tested this:

Postpone: What does this move actually do? See below for testing info.
I'd like someone to test this in a double battle where the Postpone user is the slowest Pokémon. The other three Pokémon should be using moves with 0 (unmodified) priority. I want you to target the second-fastest Pokémon on the field with Postpone and tell me in which order the Pokémon move and what Postpone does.
Rotation Battles: Do all Pokémon share the same Protect/Detect/Endure counter?

Make sure that the Postpone user is NOT a Murkrow with the Mischievous Heart ability. I don't want that clouding the results.
Here was our test setup:

Lv. 1 Postpone Mew | Lv. 25 Tabunne

vs.

Lv. 50 Doryuuzu | Lv. 100 Heatran

Turn 1
Heatran used Stealth Rock! Rocks were placed on the opponent's side of the field.
Doryuuzu used Swords Dance! Its attack was sharply raised!
Tabunne used Attract! Heatran fell in love!
Mew used Postpone! But it failed.

Then we tested to see if Postpone had any sort of counter preventing its usage in succession by replacing the level 1 Mew with a level 100 Mew. Postpone successfully made Doryuuzu go last five times in a row. This shows that Postpone can successfully be used as many times in succession as you want (lol too many "success"es). As for what the move does, it just makes the target go last for the turn. This would be very interesting for doubles strategy! I'm liking the way this move looks :)

Sorry we did this a day later than I promised, btw! I got really busy yesterday =/

-----

As you might have noticed, there was also a Rotation battle test request in that hide tag, so jumpluff and I went and did some Rotation battle testing as well. Here's our results:

1. Pokemon do not share the same counter for Protect/Detect/Endure. We were able to successfully use each move three times in a row by rotating to three different Pokemon. However, each Pokemon's individual counter gets recorded, so if you use Protect and then rotate out, the next time you rotate in, your Protect has a chance at failing.
  2. Choice item Pokemon cannot switch moves even after rotating out and then in again. Even if you rotate out, and another teammate is KOed, when you rotate back in you are still locked into your original move.
  3. When both players rotate on the same turn, the faster of the two Pokemon being rotated in will always rotate in first. This happened 10/10 times with various speeds to test with. This might seem like useless information at first, because when they both rotate in on the same turn, the faster Pokemon will move first anyways, so you're not getting any new information, however, this is particularly useful on turns that two Pokemon rotate in at the same time, and one uses Protect or a priority attack -- you will safely be able to tell if your opponent is faster or slower than you!

Just wondering about the testing of Magic Mirror, could it also be tested to see if it works even if the user uses a move such as Protect, or if it is not able to be hit (such as if it's using Fly)?

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Anybody tested Nitro Charge? (ctrl+f on the OP sez no)

Is it just like um... a Fire/Speed version of Charge Beam? With 60% extra effects rate?

To follow this:

Someone at GameFAQs posted the following video showing his Azelf with Stealth Rock and his Salamence with Outrage. The video begins with him showing the card and turning on his DS and going through the whole process of a random Wi-Fi battle.
Well, in the end this guy was right and real reason we couldn`t use pokemon with tutor moves was because of the "poorly hacked pokemon"; I finally played random Wi-Fi with Porygon & Pain Split, Metagross & Icepunch/Thunderpunch, and Hitmontop & Sucker Punch in my team.
Haters gonna hate

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Oh also. I haven't seen much information on what new attacks are multi-target (beyond sludgewave and bursting flame that I know of). Has anybody looked into this?

You don't need to test move rates. They have been dumped.

This thread is for non-obvious mechanic interaction and finding how abilities, items, rotational/triples, etc. work.

Badal

Shit
is a Contributor Alumnus
EXP Share testing:

-My Pokémon for the testing:
Battling: Minezumi [Named Donut] (Level 4) Male
EXP Share Holder:Yoterrie [Named Meat] (Level 2) Female

1) vs Minezumi Level 4
  • Donut (Minezumi): 21
  • Meat (Yoterrie): 27

2) vs Minezumi Level 5

• Donut (Minezumi):30
  • Meat (Yoterrie): 38

3) vs Minezumi Level 6

• Donut (Minezumi):28
  • Meat (Yoterrie):34

(The Yoterrie played 2 turns in the battle)

4) vs Tabunne Level 7

• Donut (Minezumi):382
  • Meat (Yoterrie): 490

I'm trying to beat these Minezumi's Level 7 and its tough, with a level 4 ._.

Will continue adding more

There has to be a typo here:
Confirmed Heavy Bomber has 40, 60, 80, 100, and 120 BP, increasing against lighter targets. Is also based on user's weight, so it's not solely a reverse Grass Knot\Low Kick. (Mien, Peterko #1 #2)
Heavy Bomber mechanics, tentative
A) 120 base power, if target´s weight is lower or equal to 1/5 (20%) of user´s weight
B) 100 base power, if target´s weight is greater than 1/5 (20%) of user´s weight and lower or equal to 1/4 (25%) of user´s weight
C) 80 base power, if target´s weight is greater than 1/4 (25%) of user´s weight and lower or equal to 1/2 (50%) of user´s weight
D) 60 base power, if target´s weight is greater than 1/3 (33.3%) of user´s weight and lower or equal to 1/2 of user´s weight (50%)
E) 40 base power, if target´s weight is greater than 1/2 (50%) of user´s weight
The bolded makes no sense. That should be between 25% and 33%, because the next one is between 33% and 50%.

Confirmed Random WiFi battles do not allow moves learned exclusively in generations before the 5th, including 4th gen\3rd gen move tutors. Pal Pad battles still do, though. (Kaphotics)
A lot of people are now saying this isn't true. I think the people who were rejected from random Wi-Fi had pokesaved pokemon that were detected or something. Legit transfered pokemon aren't getting rejected. Either that or they patched something online.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Then we tested to see if Postpone had any sort of counter preventing its usage in succession by replacing the level 1 Mew with a level 100 Mew. Postpone successfully made Doryuuzu go last five times in a row. This shows that Postpone can successfully be used as many times in succession as you want (lol too many "success"es). As for what the move does, it just makes the target go last for the turn. This would be very interesting for doubles strategy! I'm liking the way this move looks :)

Sorry we did this a day later than I promised, btw! I got really busy yesterday =/
Don't worry about it, there was no rush. Thanks for testing it.

I had this ridiculous hope that Postpone would have some sort of faux priority like Pursuit, making it actually useful on most of its slow learner base. As it is, it seems like an incredible waste of a move. If you have to use a turn to make yourself faster than your opponents already, why in the world do you need a move to make your opponents move last?

Can it make a Pokemon that's using a neutral-priority move take their turn even after Focus Punch/Trick Room/etc.?

EDIT:
Oh also. I haven't seen much information on what new attacks are multi-target (beyond sludgewave and bursting flame that I know of). Has anybody looked into this?
That information has been dumped as well. Here it is for convenience:

Moves that target all adjacent Pokemon: Sludge Wave, Synchronize, Level Ground, Blaze Judgment.

Moves that target all adjacent opponent Pokemon: Incinerate, Bug Opposition, Electra Net, Ancient Song, Frozen World, Bark Out.

Bursting Flame only targets one Pokemon, like most moves. It just has the side effect of splash damage.

EDIT: Oh, also Poison Gas now targets all adjacent opponent Pokemon in addition to having its accuracy boosted up to 80%. Should be very cool on a team with a bunch of Venom Shock users.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This question is a bit LC-important, and I'm kinda interested in how this works.

Does Berry Juice still restore the holder's HP in Gen 5? Serebii has it listed alongside potions and other potion-type things, but I'd like to know if it still heals the holder for 20 HP in-battle when the holder's HP reaches 50% or less.

Someone told me to post this here because it was said TM/Move Tutor moves where banned from the B/W Random matches.

I just pokeshifted some pokes from HeartGold and as able to get in a match.

The Pokemon where:

Infernape
Stealth Rocks
Fire Blast
Fake Out
Close Combat

Blissey
Thunder Wave
Softboiled
Seismic Toss
Aromatherapy

Dusknoir
Sucker Punch
Pain Split
Will-O-Wisp
Focus Punch

Flygon
Outrage
Stone Edge
U-turn
Earthquake

Starmie
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam
Rapid Spin
Surf

Scizor
U-turn
Bullet Punch
Superpower
Pursuit

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Quick question if anyone wants to test it.

If your Pokemon uses Side Change, can you be caught with Pursuit?

I would assume that it functioned the same way as U-turn and Volt Change, but the +1 priority has me uncertain.

Badal

Shit
is a Contributor Alumnus
Ok, I finally managed to beat that Level 6'
Only the Level 7 is left, I'm trying to get that done. Updated the post.
Currently the multiples of difference between them has been:

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
So, anyone test what happens when a Magic Mirror Pokemon uses a Bounce-backable move against another Magic Mirror Pokemon?

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
So has anyone confirmed exactly how many stages Tail Glow raises SpA by? I know that it's at least +3 stages, but the key there is "at least". It would probably be a good idea since it'd give a good indicator of how awesome Volbeat and Manaphy will be.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)