B&W Research Thread

Ok, I finally managed to beat that Level 6'
Only the Level 7 is left, I'm trying to get that done. Updated the post.
Currently the multiples of difference between them has been:
Probably pretty boring to do, but try beating the same wild Pokemon in a range of levels (Level 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, etc Minezumi) with one of your Pokemon. Beat levels 3-7 with your Pokemon being level 3, then do 3-7 again with your Pokemon being level 4, then at level 5, etc. List the experience you gain for each win at each level. Make sure you never use two Pokemon in one fight.

You'll probably have to soft reset a lot to not level your pokemon (hence the boring), then rare candy to beat the level range again, and so on.

This way we can see if the experience gain boost is constant across levels for beating a pokemon 1, 2, 3, etc. levels over/under your Pokemon.

I finally got my hands on a Slakoth and tested it, Mummy does remove Truant.

Probably not a huge surprise to anyone at this point, but I hadn't seen it confirmed with 100% certainty so I figured I'd take a shot.

Does Mold Breaker override the Magic Mirror ability? I would hope for the testing of moves that inflict status as well as stealth rock.

Ok, so here are a few thing I gathered while training Zoroark about his Illusion ability:

- Sand storm and Hail do not break the Illusion.
- Entry hazards do not break the Illusion (in the OP already).
- Hitting yourself due to Confusion does not break the Illusion.
- Although the sprite, cry and nickname of your 6th Pokemon are all copied, the level isn't. This means that, if you send out a lv. 30 Zoroark with a lv. 70 Urgamoth in your last slot, he will appear as a lv. 30 Urgamoth.

I remember someone mentioning the attack Knock Down in this thread, but I don't see any info in the first post, so I'll ask about it again:

1) Does Knock Down work on just flying types, or are levitating Pokemon affected as well?

2) How long does the grounded affect last?

I'd say the best way to test the first one is to have a Pokemon that knows both Knock Down and any Ground attack against a Pokemon with Levitate. The second is probably best tested by using Knock Down on a lower level flying type Pokemon and then spamming non-damaging attacks to see how long it's grounded.
I've been using the Pokemon Online simulator so I don't know how accurate the results are, but I have a tenative answer to question 1.

Q: Does Knock Down work on just flying types, or are levitating Pokemon affected as well?

A: Yes, Knock Down works on levitating Pokemon. I've successfully grounded Sazandora, Lati@s, and Gengar using Randorosu.

Also, something intersting I found out is that after Knock Down breaks a Substitute, the opponent is thrown to the ground. Example:

Zapdos used Substitute
Zapdos made a substitute
Randorosu used Knock Down
Zapdos' substitute broke
Zapdos was thrown to the ground

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've been using the Pokemon Online simulator so I don't know how accurate the results are, but I have a tenative answer to question 1.

Q: Does Knock Down work on just flying types, or are levitating Pokemon affected as well?

A: Yes, Knock Down works on levitating Pokemon. I've successfully grounded Sazandora, Lati@s, and Gengar using Randorosu.

Also, something intersting I found out is that after Knock Down breaks a Substitute, the opponent is thrown to the ground. Example:

Zapdos used Substitute
Zapdos made a substitute
Randorosu used Knock Down
Zapdos' substitute broke
Zapdos was thrown to the ground
I'd suggest that you not use a simulator's potentially inaccurate implementation as a source to answer a question in this thread. The only answers you provide should be directly from comprehensive testing with a legitimate copy of the game.

I'd suggest that you not use a simulator's potentially inaccurate implementation as a source to answer a question in this thread. The only answers you provide should be directly from comprehensive testing with a legitimate copy of the game.
Understood.

Well, if anyone with the actual game is willing to test Knock Down, I'm all ears because I'm quite curious if that's how it actually works.

Jeez Poison/Heat Rampage seems terrible, it's a watered down Guts. Is that really all there is to it?
Heat Rampage raises Sp. Atk, not Atk.

However, I agree with you that Poison Rampage seems like a gimped version of Guts.

I have a question: When an ability activation bar appears as soon as Kibago comes in, is that Mold Breaker? Because if so, it seems that Mold Breaker DOES NOT deactivate Zoroark's Illusion. Gastro Acid, on the other hand, does.

I have a question: When an ability activation bar appears as soon as Kibago comes in, is that Mold Breaker? Because if so, it seems that Mold Breaker DOES NOT deactivate Zoroark's Illusion. Gastro Acid, on the other hand, does.
I was under the impression Mold Breaker only negated abilities that affect damage so Earthquake breaking through levitate

edit: realized I stopped a bit short, it breaks through flash fire, levitate, motor drive, water absorb, etc but it does not negate abilities across the board. This is assuming it has not changed from 4th generation.

I was under the impression Mold Breaker only negated abilities that affect damage so Earthquake breaking through levitate
Yeah, I kind of got that vibe after I noticed my Kirikizan's Competitive Spirit activated on MB Kibago's Scary Face. So I guess Illusion still working on Mold Breaker is a given.

Tested Knock Down, this move thrown to the ground (making them lose their Ground type immunity) Flying pokemon, pokemon with Levitate, and pokemon who used Magnet Rise.
Knock Down didn`t threw to the ground pokemon behind a Substitute, even if this move break the Substitute.

I don`t know if someone said this but, about the Balloon, the game tells you when the oponnent send a pokemon with this item.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Tested Knock Down, this move thrown to the ground (making them lose their Ground type immunity) Flying pokemon, pokemon with Levitate, and pokemon who used Magnet Rise.
Knock Down didn`t threw to the ground pokemon behind a Substitute, even if this move break the Substitute.

I don`t know if someone said this but, about the Balloon, the game tells you when the oponnent send a pokemon with this item.
For the record, I also tested if Knock Down disabled moves like Roost (which involves the Pokemon landing on the ground to rest and recover HP). It didn't.

EDIT: It didn't disable Fly\Bounce either.

For the record, I also tested if Knock Down disabled moves like Roost (which involves the Pokemon landing on the ground to rest and recover HP). It didn't.
Thanks for the idea, I tested another thing

If a Flying pokemon uses Roost and is attacked by Knock Down (in the same turn, in that order), it will not be thrown to the ground.

What about moves like Fly and Bounce?
Tried it with Fly, didn`t disabled it. After the "knocked down" pokemon used Fly I attacked it with a Ground type move to see if it re-gained the Ground immunity. It didn`t.

Jump Kick and Hi Jump Kick crash damage now deal 1/2 of the user's max HP rounded down, regardless of:
_the user's Attack stat and level;
_the foe's Defense stat, level, weaknesses, resistances and immunities.

For Hi Jump Kick:
Test 1: lv.100 Sceptile used Protect, lv.100 Blaziken used Hi Jump Kick, missed and took away 150 of its 301 HP.

Test 2: lv.100 Blaziken used Hi Jump Kick vs a wild lv.4 Minezumi, it missed and took away 150 of its 301 HP.

For Jump Kick:
lv.100 Stantler used Jump Kick against a wild lv.26 Hitomoshi, naturally it missed and took away 141 of its 283 HP.

Tested Cotton Guard and it does raise Defense by three levels.
The third time I used Cotton Guard it said Erufuun's Defense can't go any higher.

Tentative Stench gives the Pokemon's damaging attacks a chance to flinch, even ones with an existing side effect. Unknown if this stacks with King's Rock. Also unknown is the flinch rate. (Unholy, OmegaDonut, #2, #3)
I tested this against a bunch of wild pokemon on route 1, none of the pokemon there have a move lower then 100% accuracy or an immunity to flinch.
Pokemon used was a Shuckle with the ability Stench using Frustration 100 times(excluding finishing moves), once with King's Rock and once without.

Results:
Without King's Rock Shuckle flinched a foe 9 times or 9% flinch rate.
With King's Rock Shuckle flinched a foe 8 times or 8% flinch rate.
(as a side note once in these 200 times frustration didn't flinch in 36 turns as such what happened to Philip's test is a very real possibility)

Assuming the flinch rate is 10% and the mechanics of king's rock haven't changed the rate should be 19% if stacked, which doesn't seem to be the case here.

As such unless i am extremely unlucky Stench it's flinch rate is 10% and does not stack with King's Rock.

Also i have already tested Iron Fist so it can be added to the OP as well

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Could you test HJK missing against a lvl100 crobat or something. Since HJK would have done a great deal of damage to all of those pokemon, it makes some sense that the recoil would be high.

Have a nice day.

Confirmed Breeding a Dream World female parent with any male parent (but not vice versa) has a chance of giving the offspring its respective Dream World Ability. It does not appear that Ditto is considered the female parent for this purpose.
Is there any proof of this? When i tested with Hihidaruma/Musharna I used the legit ones from in game. After this I then tried a random Hihidaruma/Musharna with their DW abilties edited onto them over their normal abilities and tried, to no avail.

So if someone was testing this with a random Ditto with Eccentric slapped onto it, i'm pretty certain it's going to give you negative results. I would assume there is a special flag on the Pokemon to signify that it has it's alternate ability.

If someone actually has managed to get an Eccentric Ditto with a special ability flag and tried it, sorry for bringing it into question. It just doesn't make sense that Ditto can't pass something down while playing the female, when it can pass down IVs and Natures like others.

Has it been confirmed that Guard Share/Power Share average the actual Stats, rather than Boosts? I was fighting wild Desukaan and after it used Guard/Power Trick, I seemed to be doing the same damage as I was before the moves. Defense would be understandable (my Pokémon's Defense is fairly close to that of an untrained level 34 Desukaan), but there's no explanation for Attack.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)