Skuntank (Trapper)

QC 2/2
FlareBlitz
Thund91

GP 2/2
bugmaniacbob
Fizz

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/skuntank

[Don't have a good name for this set so if anyone can think of one please let me know]
Skeleton.:

[SET]
name: Trapper
move 1: Pursuit
move 2: Explosion
move 3: Taunt
move 4: Sucker Punch / Crunch
item: Life Orb / Leftovers
nature: Adamant / Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 Att / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>With above average offensive stats and respectable Speed, Skuntank makes excellent use of Taunt. Combine this with its excellent typing and Pursuit, and you have a superb trapper on your hands. This set can be used as an effective way to get rid of spinblockers such as Rotom, Mismagius, and Spiritomb, while also dismantling walls with the help of Taunt. Common sweepers such as Specially offensive Venusaur and Absol are stopped right in their tracks, unable to set up or use status inducing moves. Although having a relatively shallow movepool to choose from, Skuntank packs Explosion, giving more reason than ever to use it over other Dark-types such as Drapion or Spiritomb. It is best to use Explosion as a last resort, usually after you've seen the opponent's entire team and have gotten rid of their spinblocker. Sucker Punch is the primary choice in the fourth slot, giving Skuntank priority over fragile faster sweepers such as Moltres, Kangaskhan and Scyther. Pokemon with Substitute such as Alakazam are easily defeated with this set, such as Alakazam. Going for Pursuit first usually causes the opponent to stay in, either to play it safe or to at least get some damage on Skuntank, which means that you can use Sucker Punch on the following turn to catch them off-guard. Crunch is a secondary option if you prefer not to take chances with Sucker Punch. It is recommended to use a Jolly nature if you use Crunch in the 4th slot. The EVs are straightforward, giving Skuntank all the offensive power and Speed it can get.</p>

[OTHER OPTIONS]
<p>Although usually considered an offensive, fragile Pokemon, Skuntank can also utilize bulky spreads with great success. An option might be to change the EV spread to 24 HP / 232 Atk / 252 SpD, with an Adamant nature still allowing Skuntank to still net OHKOs on Alakazam without it switching while also being able to survive Focus Blast from Life Orb variants. Since you no longer outspeed base 80 Speed sweepers, Sucker Punch should definitely be used over Crunch. Life Orb Mismagius fails to OHKO you with +2 Thunderbolt even with the presence of Stealth Rock and you can land a 2HKO with Pursuit (assuming it doesn't switch out). An Adamant nature is highly recommended as it allows Skuntank to be able to hit hard while having a respectable amount of bulk.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>Despite Skuntank being a major threat to a wide variety of Pokemon, it also has a respectable number of counters. Steel- and Rock-types such as Steelix, Rhyperior, and Aggron wall this set all day, taking little damage even from Explosion. Bulky walls such as Donphan and Tangrowth can deal with Skuntank as long as they avoid getting hit by Explosion.</p>

<p>Water-types such as Milotic and Blastoise make ideal teammates for Skuntank, being able to deal with most of its counters and luring in other bulky walls for Skuntank to play with. Claydol is probably the best possible ally that Skuntank can hope for, for being immune to Skuntank's single weakness and luring in Ghost-types for Skuntank to dispose of.</p>

I've used this set in NU(stole it off Ice-Eyes <.<). It works quite well in the NU environment(taunting Dusclops mostly and stopping it from Burning you, however in UU I don't think Taunt is particularly useful. There's not really many things it outspeeds that are also weak to Pursuit in UU. Most things it does outspeed take neutral damage from Pursuit and can take a pretty big chunk out of Skuntank. My post is just theorymon, so I could be wrong.

I've used this set in NU(stole it off Ice-Eyes <.<). It works quite well in the NU environment(taunting Dusclops mostly and stopping it from Burning you, however in UU I don't think Taunt is particularly useful. There's not really many things it outspeeds that are also weak to Pursuit in UU. Most things it does outspeed take neutral damage from Pursuit and can take a pretty big chunk out of Skuntank. My post is just theorymon, so I could be wrong.
....It doesn't matter if it doesn't outspeed(this set works great overall, not just for a certain threat such as Alakzam), it can come in on choice attacks such as psychic and it doesn't only have to be ghost/psychic pokemon that it pursuits, pursuit on the switch does a significant amount to any Pokemon that doesn't resist bar Weezing. Also how is Taunt not useful. here's a list of pokemon you can Taunt be it in certain scenarios or almost all the time:

-Clefable
-Spiritomb
-Bulky Pokemon that are low on HP and for instance they want to recover you can taunt>Sucker punch such as Milotic and Blastoise ._.
-Chansey
-Venusaur (Non EQ variant)
-Mespirt
-Uxie
-Registeel
-Slowbro
-Weezing
-Bulky Sub rotom

Tell me it's not useful and these are only Pokemon that in almost all situations it can Taunt, many slower fragile sweepers might try to substitute/set-up can be taunted and proceed to kill.

Also next time it would be better if you actually tested out the set before commenting^^.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
My god, skunktank really needs a revamp, I was going to say "why can't we just slash in Taunt on the life orb set" when I realized that there was no life orb set and someone had slashed in fucking Rock Smash on its CB set.....

Anyway, I know this set works and all, but I don't think calling it "Taunt" is really a good idea since it's not a stallbreaker or anything, just a pursuit trapper that can taunt status moves. Maybe call it "Taunting Trapper" or something? I don't know. At any rate, the only thing I can think to mention is including a bulky spread in AC. Besides that this looks fine.

I have been testing this set out for a while, and it was pretty good. The set seems to work the way it should, so there isn't anything i can suggest atm.

Maybe mention advantages over Absol who can run the same set, namely Explosion, better bulk, speed, and typing at the cost of less power

EDIT:
also use access to explosion and priority as well as higher attack to justify its use over drapion

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Perhaps mention Claydol as a teammate, as it can take any Ground-type moves aimed at Skuntank, while Skuntank gets rid of Missy and Rotom for it. Additionally, Claydol matches up well with three (Steelix, Donphan, and Registeel) of the counters you mentioned.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Sorry, I forgot to mention the specific EVs for the bulky set...I would recommend 24 HP/232 Atk/252 SpD Adamant. Why? Well, this spread avoids a KO from +1 LO Alakazam's Focus Blast, while KOing back with Pursuit even if it doesn't switch out. A bulkier spread actually fails to KO with pursuit, while still being 2hko'd by Focus Blast (or Focus Blast -> Signal Beam). More annoyingly, the defensive spread doesn't even 2hko 4/0 Mismagius with Pursuit if it stays in, meaning Missy actually has no need to switch out when it get to +4 on your pursuit and KO you (if it avoids the sucker punch mindgame). On the defensive end, both Skunktank are 2hko'd by +2 LO Thunderbolt, so that's the same.

Basically...more power is more useful here than more special defense, especially given that you have Explosion on the set.

Sorry, I forgot to mention the specific EVs for the bulky set...I would recommend 24 HP/232 Atk/252 SpD Adamant. Why? Well, this spread avoids a KO from +1 LO Alakazam's Focus Blast, while KOing back with Pursuit even if it doesn't switch out. A bulkier spread actually fails to KO with pursuit, while still being 2hko'd by Focus Blast (or Focus Blast -> Signal Beam). More annoyingly, the defensive spread doesn't even 2hko 4/0 Mismagius with Pursuit if it stays in, meaning Missy actually has no need to switch out when it get to +4 on your pursuit and KO you (if it avoids the sucker punch mindgame). On the defensive end, both Skunktank are 2hko'd by +2 LO Thunderbolt, so that's the same.

Basically...more power is more useful here than more special defense, especially given that you have Explosion on the set.

Changed spread ;p added Claydol as teamate, thanks people.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
GP CHECK (1/2)

REMOVE
ADD
COMMENT

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With above average offensive stats and respectable speed Speed, Skuntank makes excellent useage use of Taunt. Combine this with it's its excellent typing and Pursuit,(comma) and you have a superb trapper in your hands. This set can be used as an effective way to get rid of Spin blockers spinblockers such as Rotom, Mismagius,(comma) and Spiritomb,(comma) while also dismantling walls with the use help of Taunt. Common sweepers such as Specially offensive specially offensive Venusaur and Absol are stopped right in their tracks (not really true, Venusaur is a) very rarely a fully special sweeper and b) when it is it usually carries HP Ground, while Absol can OHKO with LO Superpower, so yes it checks them, but doesn't really 'stop them right in their tracks'), unable to set up or use status inducing moves. while being able to do little damage to Skuntank . Although having a relatively shallow movepool to choose from, Skuntank packs Explosion, giving more reason than ever to use it over other dark types Dark-types such as Drapion or Spiritomb. It is best to use Explosion as a last resort, usually after you've seen the opponent's entire team and have gotten rid of it's theirspinblocker. Sucker Punch is the primary choice in the 4th fourth slot, giving Skuntank priority over fragile faster sweepers such as Moltres, Kangaskhan and Scyther. Combine its usage with Pursuit and you've got yourself an almost guaranteed kill on any sweeper that does not resist it (I'm not entirely following the logic here... how is Pursuit + Sucker Punch a 'guaranteed kill'?). Pokemon with Substitute are easily defeated with this set, such as Alakazam. Going for Pursuit first usually causes the opponent to stay in,(comma) playing either to play it safe or to at least get some damage on Skuntank,(comma) but are then to be overwhelmed by which means that you can use Sucker punch Sucker Punch on the following turn to catch them off-guard. Crunch is a secondary Option option if you prefer not to take chances with Sucker Punch. It is recommended to use a Jolly nature if you are willing to use using Crunch in the 4th fourth slot. The EVs are straightforward, giving Skuntank all the offensive power and speed Speed it can get.</p>

[OTHER OPTIONS]

<p>Although stereotyped usually considered as an offensive,(comma) fragile Pokemon, Skuntank can also utilize bulky spreads with great success. An option might be to change the EV spread to 24 HP / 232 Atk / 252 SpD, with an Adamant nature, allowing Skuntank to still net OHKOs on Alakazam without it switching while also being able to live Focus Blast from Life orb Life Orb variants. Since you no longer acquire the necessary speed Speed to outspeed base 80 speed Speed sweepers, Sucker punch Sucker Punch should definitely be used over Crunch. Life orb Life Orb Mismagius fails to OHKO you with +2 Thunderbolt even with the presence of stealth rock Stealth Rock, and you can land a 2HKO with Pursuit (assuming it doesn't switch out). An Adamant nature is highly recommended as it allows Skuntank to be able to hit hard while having a respectable amount of bulk.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Despite Skuntank being a major threats threat to a wide variety of Pokemon, it also has a respectable amount number of counters. Steel and rock types Steel- and Rock-types such as Steelix, Rhyperior,(comma) and Aggron walls wall this set all day, taking quite a small amount of damage little damage even from Explosion. Bulky Defensive walls such as Donphan and Tangrowth can deal with Skuntank as long as they avoid getting hit by Explosion.</p>

<p>Water-types such as Milotic and Blastoise make ideal teammates for Skuntank, being able to deal with most of it's its counters and luring in other bulky walls for Skuntank to play with. Claydol is probably the best possible ally that Skuntank can wish for, both for being immune to Skuntank's one weakness and luring in ghost types Ghost-types for Skuntank to dispose of.</p>

GP Check 2/2

Changes bold, removals in red unless moved or replaced.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>With above average offensive stats and respectable Speed, Skuntank makes excellent use of Taunt. Combine this with its excellent typing and Pursuit, and you have a superb trapper on your hands. This set can be used as an effective way to get rid of spinblockers such as Rotom, Mismagius, and Spiritomb, while also dismantling walls with the help of Taunt. Common sweepers such as specially offensive Venusaur and Absol are stopped right in their tracks, unable to set up or use status-inducing moves. Although having a relatively shallow movepool to choose from, Skuntank packs Explosion, giving more reason than ever to use it over other Dark-types such as Drapion or Spiritomb. It is best to use Explosion as a last resort, usually after you've seen the opponent's entire team and have gotten rid of their spinblocker. Sucker Punch is the primary choice in the fourth slot, giving Skuntank priority over fragile faster sweepers such as Moltres, Kangaskhan and Scyther. Pokemon with Substitute such as Alakazam are easily defeated with this set. Going for Pursuit first usually causes the opponent to stay in, either to play it safe or to at least get some damage on Skuntank, which means that you can use Sucker Punch on the following turn to catch them off-guard. Crunch is a secondary option if you prefer not to take chances with Sucker Punch. It is recommended to use a Jolly nature if you use Crunch in the 4th slot. The EVs are straightforward, giving Skuntank all the offensive power and Speed it can get.</p>

[OTHER OPTIONS]
<p>Although usually considered as an offensive, fragile Pokemon, Skuntank can also utilize bulky spreads with great success. An option might be to change the EV spread to 24 HP / 232 Atk / 252 SpD, with an Adamant nature, still allowing Skuntank to net OHKOs on Alakazam without it switching while also being able to survive Focus Blast from Life Orb variants. Since you no longer acquire the necessary Speed to outspeed base 80 Speed sweepers, Sucker Punch should definitely be used over Crunch. Life Orb Mismagius fails to OHKO you with +2 Thunderbolt even with the presence of Stealth Rock and you can land a 2HKO with Pursuit (assuming it doesn't switch out). An Adamant nature is highly recommended as it allows Skuntank to be able to hit hard while having a respectable amount of bulk.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>Despite Skuntank being a major threat to a wide variety of Pokemon, it also has a respectable number of counters. Steel- and Rock-types such as Steelix, Rhyperior, and Aggron wall this set all day, taking little damage even from Explosion. Bulky walls such as Donphan and Tangrowth can deal with Skuntank as long as they avoid getting hit by Explosion.</p>

<p>Water-types such as Milotic and Blastoise make ideal teammates for Skuntank, being able to deal with most of its counters and luring in other bulky walls for Skuntank to play with. Claydol is probably the best possible ally that Skuntank can hope for, both for being immune to Skuntank's single weakness and luring in Ghost-types for Skuntank to dispose of.</p>

Good work.

Okay, well, I am going to upload this. Skuntank doesn't actually have a UU analysis right now, so I'll just be shuffling parts around and removing the sets that weren't QC cleared. If someone else wants to write up the sets that work in another thread, that'd be great.

EDIT: Uploaded

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)