Chikorita (Analysis)

QC= 2/2
Dracoyoshi8
Kannon

GP= 2/2
Bugmaniacbob Zystral

[Overview]

<p>Chikorita possesses decent bulk thanks to its base 65 Defense and Special Defense, making it a good candidate for various roles on a team. Although it might be lacking in the offensive department, being one of the few pure Grass-types in Little Cup has its merits. Despite this, it is almost entirely outclassed by other Grass-types such as Bulbasaur. Chikorita does, however, have the ability to set up dual screens and it has access to Aromatherapy, making it worth using.</p>

[SET]
set name: Support
move 1: Reflect
move 2: Light Screen
move 3: Leaf Storm
move 4: Worry Seed / Synthesis
item: Oran Berry / Light Clay
ability: Overgrow
nature: Calm
evs: 236 HP / 156 Def / 76 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With a shallow offensive movepool to choose from, supporting the team is sadly the only role Chikorita plays well. This set utilizes its bulk and helps the rest of the team by setting up dual screens. Both Reflect and Light Screen are very useful tools in Little Cup, and with them set up, fellow team members will find sweeping much easier. The idea is to bring Chikorita into bulky Water- or Ground-types, such as Chinchou or Sandshrew, and set up. Alternatively, it can hit back with Leaf Storm, packing 140 Base Power, which is sure to make a huge dent or even KO frail Pokemon that don't resist it. Worry Seed definitely deserves to be on this set, helping Chikorita escape from Pokemon such as Diglett and Wynaut by changing their ability to Insomnia. Oran Berry is a real asset to Chikorita since it increases its longevity substantially, although Light Clay is an alternative that can give your team those vital extra turns of dual screens.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Chikorita does not need to invest at all in its offensive stats, mainly because it lacks good coverage and should stick to its role as a team supporter. Synthesis can be used instead of Worry Seed if you feel the need to preserve Chikorita for longer periods of time, although very rarely does Chikorita get a safe switch in. When it does, setting up screens should be its primary goal. Toxic can put pressure on the opponent's team, limiting the amount of time they can stay on the battlefield, although it is worth noting that Chikorita's most common switch-ins, Bronzor and Croagunk, are both immune to Toxic.</p>

[TEAM OPTIONS]

<p>Pokemon that can take Fire- and Poison-type attacks aimed at Chikorita are of great use as teammates. An example of this is Houndour, which can absorb incoming Fire-type attacks for a Flash Fire boost and proceed to sweep, while Chikorita can easily switch into bulky Water-type Pokemon that threaten Houndour. Gligar can take a Poison Jab aimed at Chikorita from Croagunk and KO back with Earthquake. Choice Scarf sweepers such as Machop and Mankey make full use of the screens set up by Chikorita and can survive for longer, enabling them to fire off more attacks.</p>

[OPTIONAL CHANGES]

<p>Leech Seed is an alternative way to gain recovery; it can be very rewarding when Pokemon with massive HP stats are seeded, such as Munchlax and Chinchou. Hidden Power Ground can be used to severely dent the likes of Houndour and Croagunk, two of the most common switch-ins, but it will not OHKO either. Aromatherapy is a viable option to pack on a bulky Pokemon like Chikorita, enabling it to heal itself and its teammates.</p>

[COUNTERS]

<p>Since Chikorita is a supporter and is by no means a threat to any team directly, Poison-type Pokemon annihilate it, resisting Chikorita's STAB Leaf Storm and being immune to Toxic. There is nothing Chikorita can do apart from switch out, giving them a free turn to set up. Gligar can survive a Leaf Storm and Taunt Chikorita, rendering it useless, although it cannot Roost-stall, since upon Roosting it becomes weak to Grass-type attacks. Bronzor has nothing to fear and hence can switch in with comfort, and then set up entry hazards or dual screens of its own. Fire-types such as Growlithe and Houndour nail a solid KO on Chikorita with Flare Blitz and Fire Blast, respectively, and resist its primary STAB move, although avoiding Hidden Power Ground variants is advised. Pokemon such as Wynaut can wall Chikorita provided it is not carrying Worry Seed. In general, Pokemon with Taunt and sweepers that resist Chikorita's Leaf Storm make viable counters, as stopping Chikorita from setting up dual screens or using Worry Seed leaves it useless.</p>

Aerrow

hunter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
With Pokemon like Croagunk commonly used in LC, I doubt the viability of the Flail dancer. Could you post a couple of battle logs indicating this set being able to set-up and sweep?

You should mention priority, especially Fake Out and Mach Punch / Bullet Punch / Vacuum Wave in the Counters section for the Flail Dancer set.

Added what comatthew6 stated, also removed flail set as after testing it a bit more it always got stopped by Bronzor then revenge killed easily. Thanks for the advice Aerrow.

Honestly, I don't think Sunny Day Chikorita is all that great. It doesn't get Chlorophyll, so it really be outspeeding much, and again, Gastly would come in and OHKO with Sludge Bomb. Throw the sunny day stuff in optional changes, which (I can't find / you didn't post).

Flora

Yep, that tasted purple!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The EVs don't seem right for LC. You probably wanted:

236 HP / 76 Def / 156 SpD

Maxing your EV stat doesn't work in LC due to being lvl 5. Even with putting in the excess EVs, it won't let Chikorita gain a point, so it's useless to invest anymore.

The EVs don't seem right for LC. You probably wanted:

236 HP / 76 Def / 156 SpD

Maxing your EV stat doesn't work in LC due to being lvl 5. Even with putting in the excess EVs, it won't let Chikorita gain a point, so it's useless to invest anymore.
Thanks, updated kinda got carried away not putting too much defense EVs, the HP Evs slipped my mind.

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus
Chikorita @ Oran Berry / Light Clay
Ability: Overgrow
Nature: Calm
EVs: HP 236 / 156 Def / 76 SpD
~ Reflect
~ Light Screen
~ Leaf Storm
~ Worry Seed / Synthesis

If you are going to use Chikorita, use this set. Aromatherapy is a poor move in Gen IV Little Cup. Every once in a while it may be useful, but its usually a waste of a moveslot. Chikorita really only excels at Dual Screening. It's probably the best Grass-type screener. Leaf Storm does a ton of damage even off of Chikorita's poor Special Attack. Worry Seed allows Chikorita to escape Wynaut and Diglett by turning their abilities into Insomnia. Synthesis is obviously for healing

If you are set on doing Chikorita, which I hope you are, since the write up ain't bad, please replace that set with this set. Test this set a little, figure what changes are needed, and I'll gladly stamp it if you made all the right changes.

Chikorita @ Oran Berry / Light Clay
Nature: Calm
EVs: HP 236 / 156 Def / 76 SpD
~ Reflect
~ Light Screen
~ Leaf Storm
~ Worry Seed / Synthesis

If you are going to use Chikorita, use this set. Aromatherapy is a poor move in Gen IV Little Cup. Every once in a while it may be useful, but its usually a waste of a moveslot. Chikorita really only excels at Dual Screening. It's probably the best Grass-type screener. Leaf Storm does a ton of damage even off of Chikorita's poor Special Attack. Worry Seed allows Chikorita to escape Wynaut and Diglett by turning their abilities into Insomnia. Synthesis is obviously for healing

If you are set on doing Chikorita, which I hope you are, since the write up ain't bad, please replace that set with this set. Test this set a little, figure what changes are needed, and I'll gladly stamp it if you made all the right changes.
Aite thanks alot man, I'll get some testing and post some logs if needed.

I got your VM on checking it, but there's nothing really to say, the changes dracoyoshi suggested and the descriptions are pretty good, I'll be glad to stamp after you update the counters section (You still list the counters to flail dancer chikorita it looks like).

I got your VM on checking it, but there's nothing really to say, the changes dracoyoshi suggested and the descriptions are pretty good, I'll be glad to stamp after you update the counters section (You still list the counters to flail dancer chikorita it looks like).
Made changes ;)

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus
You are missing an Additional Comments section. That needs to be added before I can feel good stamping it.

edit: Great job!

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
GP check on request

Also, new format yay:

REMOVE
ADD
COMMENT

[Overview]

<p>Chikorita possess possesses decent bulk with it's thanks to its base 65 Defense and Special Defense, which makes making it an ideal candidate to play for various roles for it's on a team. Although it might be lacking in the offensive department, being one of the few pure Grass-types in Little Cup has it's its merits. Although it might seem that Despite this, it is almost entirely outclassed by other Grass-types such as Bulbasaur, with only it has the ability to set up dual screens and access to Aromatherapy, making it worth using. a great supporter for its team.</p> [I'd just like to point out that you don't mention Aromatherapy even in Optional Changes, and certainly not in the Support set - is that here by mistake?]

[SET]
Set name: Support

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With a shallow offensive movepool to choose from, supporting the team is sadly the only role Chikorita plays well. This set utilizes it's its bulk and helps the rest of the team by setting up Dual Screens dual screens. Both Reflect and Light Screen are very useful tools in the Little Cup metagame, and with them set up, fellow team members can find sweeping much easier. The idea is to bring Chikorita into bulky Water- or Ground-types such as Chincou Chinchou and Sandshrew and set up. Alternatively it can hit back with Leaf Storm, packing 140 Base Power which is sure to pack make a huge dent or even KO frail Pokemon that don't resist it. Worry Seed definitely deserves to be on this set, helping Chikorita escape from Pokemon such as Diglett and Wynaut by changing their ability to Insomnia. It can also be useful for removing the ability Flash-Fire Flash Fire from Houndour and Ponyta, taking one less worry of the weight off your mind when a member of your team hits with a Fire-type Attack [Not strictly true - I'm fairly sure the effect of Worry Seed goes away when Houndour switches out, and you wouldn't use a Fire-type attack on a Fire-type anyway, so the help as far as I can see is minimal. Still, nothing wrong grammatically.]. Oran Berry is a real asset to Chikorita since it increases its longevity substantially, although Light Clay is an alternative which can give your team those essential vital extra turns of Dual Screens dual screens.</p>​

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Chikorita does not need to invest at all in it's its offensive stats, mainly since it lacks good coverage and should stick to it's its role as a team 'Supporter' supporter. Synthesis can be used instead of Worry Seed if you feel the need to preserve Chikorita for longer periods of time although very rarely does Chikorita get a safe switch in and,(comma) when it usually does, setting up Screens screens would be it's its primary target goal. Toxic can put pressure on the opponent's team, limiting the amount of time they can stay on the battlefield,(comma) although it is worth noting that Chikorita's most common switch-ins, Bronzor and Croagunk,(comma) both are both immune to Toxic.</p>

[TEAM OPTIONS]

<p>Pokemon that can take Fire Fire- and Poison-type attacks aimed at Chikorita are of great use in the team as teammates. Examples of these are include Houndour,(comma) who can absorb incoming Fire-type attacks for a Flash Fire boost and proceed to sweep,(comma) with the Boost while Chikorita can easily switch into Bulky bulky Water-type Pokemon who threaten Houndour. Gligar can take Poison Jab aimed at Chikorita from Croagunk and KO back with Earthquake. Choice Scarf sweepers such as Machop and Mankey make full use of the screens set up by Chikorita and can survive for longer, enabling them to fire off more attacks. net more hits.</p>

[OPTIONAL CHANGES]

<p>Leech Seed can be is an alternative way to gain recovery,(comma) and is worth it it can be very rewarding when Pokemon with massive HP stats are seeded,(comma) such as Munchlax and Chincou Chinchou. Although it won't KO, Hidden Power Ground can be used to severely dent the likes of Houndour and Croagunk, two of the most common switch ins switch-ins. Hypnosis is quite unreliable due to it's its accuracy but can give teammates several turns to set-up set up before proceeding to attempt attempting a sweep. It also buys Chikorita some precious time to set up it's Dual Screens its dual screens if it hasn't already.</p>

[WAIT WAIT WAIT... I may be missing something here, but since when could Chikorita learn Hypnosis? I'll admit I know nothing about Chikorita's movepool but neither Serebii nor Smogon has it listed as a usable move... am I missing something here?]

[COUNTERS]

<p>Since Chikorita is a supporter and is by no means a threat to any team directly, Poison-type Pokemon annihilate it, resisting Chikorita's STAB Leaf Storm and being immune to Toxic. There is nothing Chikorita can do apart from switch out,(comma) giving them a free turn to set-up set up. Gligar can live survive a Leaf Storm and Taunt Chikorita,(comma) rendering it useless,(comma) although it fails to stall cannot Roost-stall, since upon Roosting it becomes weak to Grass-type attacks [Generally speaking Gligar doesn't run Taunt anyway, and if it doesn't run Aerial Ace or U-turn I wouldn't expect it to be the first switch-in either, so both points here are slightly unnecessary - or at least, for my part I've never seen a Taunt + Roost stalling Gligar in Little Cup anyway.]. Bronzor has nothing to fear and hence can switch in with comfort,(comma) and then set up entry hazards or Dual Screens dual screens of it's its own. Fire-types such as Growlithe and Houndour nail a solid KO on Chikorita with Flare Blitz and Fire Blast, respectively, and resist it's its primary STAB move,(comma) although avoiding Hidden Power Ground variants is advised. Worry Seed is Chikorita's only means of being some sort of nuisance to Pokemon it can hit for solid damage [I don't know what you're trying to say with this sentence - if it can hit the Pokemon for solid damage, why is Worry Seed its most effective move? Please make this more clear]. Pokemon such as Wynaut can wall Chikorita provided it is not carrying Worry Seed or it can easily switch out to an appropriate counter or sweeper. In general,(comma) Pokemon with Taunt and sweepers that resist Chikorita's Leaf Storm make viable counters, as disabling stopping Chikorita from setting up Dual Screens dual screens or use using Worry Seed leaves it dismantled useless.</p>

GP CHECK [1/2]

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
even though you say that this is ready for its second gp check, it seems that you haven't implemented a significant amount of BMB's fixes. i suggest that you thoroughly review his check and then make the appropriate fixes.

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Red is Remove
Blue is a change/addition

[Overview]

<p>Chikorita possesses decent bulk thanks to its base 65 Defense and Special Defense, making it an ideal candidate for various roles on a team. Although it might be lacking in the offensive department, being one of the few pure Grass-types in Little Cup has its merits. Despite this, it is almost entirely outclassed by other Grass-types such as Bulbasaur, with only the ability to set up Dual Screens and access to Aromatherapy, making it worth using.</p>

[SET]
Set name: Support

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>With a shallow offensive movepool to choose from, supporting the team is sadly the only role Chikorita plays well. This set utilizes its bulk and helps the rest of the team by setting up Dual Screens. Both Reflect and Light Screen are very useful tools in Little Cup, and with them set up, fellow team members can find sweeping much easier. The idea is to bring Chikorita into bulky Water- or Ground-types such as Chinchou and Sandshrew and set up. Alternatively, it can hit back with Leaf Storm, packing 140 Base Power which is sure to make a huge dent or even KO frail Pokemon that don't resist it. Worry Seed definitely deserves to be on this set, helping Chikorita escape from Pokemon such as Diglett and Wynaut by changing their ability to Insomnia. Oran Berry is a real asset to Chikorita since it increases its longevity substantially, although Light Clay is an alternative which can give your team those vital extra turns of dual screens.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>Chikorita does not need to invest at all in its offensive stats, mainly since it lacks good coverage and should stick to its role as a team supporter. Synthesis can be used instead of Worry Seed if you feel the need to preserve Chikorita for longer periods of time, although very rarely does Chikorita get a safe switch in. and, when it does, setting up screens would be its primary goal. Toxic can put pressure on the opponent's team, limiting the amount of time they can stay on the battlefield, although it is worth noting that Chikorita's most common switch-ins, Bronzor and Croagunk, are both immune to Toxic.</p>

[TEAM OPTIONS]
<p>Pokemon that can take Fire- and Poison-type attacks aimed at Chikorita are of great use as teammates. Examples of these include Houndour, who can absorb incoming Fire-type attacks for a Flash Fire boost and proceed to sweep, while Chikorita can easily switch into bulky Water-type Pokemon who threaten Houndour. Gligar can take Poison Jab aimed at Chikorita from Croagunk and KO back with Earthquake. Choice Scarf sweepers such as Machop and Mankey make full use of the screens set up by Chikorita and can survive for longer, enabling them to fire off more attacks.</p>

[OPTIONAL CHANGES]
<p>Leech Seed is an alternative way to gain recovery, it can be very rewarding when Pokemon with massive HP stats are seeded, such as Munchlax and Chinchou. Although it won't KO, Hidden Power Ground can be used to severely dent the likes of Houndour and Croagunk, two of the most common switch-ins but it will not OHKO either. Aromatherapy is a viable option to pack on a bulky Pokemon such as Chikorita, enabling it to heal itself and its teammates.</p>

[COUNTERS]
<p>Since Chikorita is a supporter and is by no means a threat to any team directly, Poison-type Pokemon annihilate it, resisting Chikorita's STAB Leaf Storm and being immune to Toxic. There is nothing Chikorita can do apart from switch out, giving them a free turn to set up. Gligar can survive a Leaf Storm and Taunt Chikorita, rendering it useless, although it cannot Roost-stall, since upon Roosting it becomes weak to Grass-type attacks. Bronzor has nothing to fear and hence can switch in with comfort, and then set up entry hazards or dual screens of its own. Fire-types such as Growlithe and Houndour nail a solid KO on Chikorita with Flare Blitz and Fire Blast, respectively, and resist its primary STAB move, although avoiding Hidden Power Ground variants is advised. Pokemon such as Wynaut can wall Chikorita provided it is not carrying Worry Seed. In general, Pokemon with Taunt and sweepers that resist Chikorita's Leaf Storm make viable counters, as stopping Chikorita from setting up dual screens or using Worry Seed leaves it useless.</p>

2/2

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Not to nitpick again but

Spelling and Grammar standards said:
The phrase "dual screens" is not capitalized.
So, unless this has changed recently but hasn't been updated, you should change 'Dual Screens' to 'dual screens' in the analysis.

Zystral told me to capitalize them I had them in lower cases earlier from your edit. Anyways changed it back. Ready to be uploaded...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)