So how about the weather?

Recently, I've begun to consider the role of weather in mafia. I mean, you could have like rainy weather, then no one would come to the town hall to vote. Or maybe you need the raincoat item to vote. It seems an aspect of mafia that we have yet to truly consider implementing and may have many unforeseen influences.

internet

no longer getting paid to moderate
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
seems like an interesting gimmick for a game, but how would the weather be decided?
items? a role? randomly? multiple of those in one game?

this does not actually sound like too shabby of an idea, items or roles that control and/or make use of the weather could be potentially useful in developing a new twist to the previously established functions some roles might or might not have at this point in time

weather based items could be solar power cells or win or awind power station that could be used to power certain other item or enhances roles

for roles, there is nearly endless possibilities as well

Well you could have the scientist with the solar panel item which requires sunny weather to work.

And you easily have roles like the weather forecaster or something or like airplanes that can cause rainfall. Weather seems to be determined by location too for example it is spring in australia fall in germany and summer in singapore so we could have the location man.

UncleSam

Leading this village
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
This sounds cool, particularly the weather+location possibility. Anything that breaks up the somewhat repetitious nature of mafia at the moment would probably be welcomed by the majority of people.

Additionally, there seem like a ton of possibilities for both roles and effects of the weather, making it a good flavor with room to grow.

All that being said...I doubt weather would fundamentally change the way mafia is played, as it would essentially be as if there were additional, powerful roles in the game producing those effects, instead of them simply being there. Not that that is a bad thing, just worth noting that it probably wouldn't be a huge departure from past games.

For what it's worth (not much), I would look forward to a weather game, and would definitely sign up if I thought I could get in.

Weather is just another kind of dimension hosts should seek to explore, just like locations, Hit Points, etc. If you want to make a game with weather, by all means do it.

A funny idea would be to make players vote for a forecast for the next day.

I actually had an idea, where the "announcer" role controls the weather (not original, since I am the Mafia apparently had one), and different people got different boosts for different weathers. Not every one got a boost, but some people got LPVs, NKPV's, double votes, etc. It was based around pokemon, since that made the most sense.

Andy Snype

Mr. Music
Thoughts and I had an idea for a mafia game in which the weather played a post restriction role. Rain would only allow one post during the day per person, Hail prevents changing votes. Sand limits the number of words per post and keeps the limit for each person at one vote per day.

internet

hurricane or something could kill everyone who posts when it's during day, and prevents all night actions during night.

i would be interested in making it, but hosting not so much since i really suck at hosting.

Sand limits the number of words per post
imagine the number of double posts.

I am
____
The Inspector
_____
Get Spiffy
______

How would the weather be changed though. If it is town controlled, then it will always be sunny. Mafia control makes it always sandy, and nuetral makes it a Kingmaker role. And if you controlled it randomly it may be biased towards a team (not intentionally, randomly). Preplanned? Also, what about sun?

internet

double posting in sand would could as multiple words in one post and would get you godkilled

Weather could be randomised and the weather changer increases the said weather by 50%.

Well at least that's what I thought it shouldve been. To balance out whoever had the role.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
hurricane or something could kill everyone who posts when it's during day, and prevents all night actions during night.

i would be interested in making it, but hosting not so much since i really suck at hosting.
so basically you waste a night/day?

You wouldn't need to randomize (I really dislike adding more chance into mafia since it's entirely unnecessary) the weather. You could make it a role or bring items into the mix. Items have a wide range of possibilities e.g. you could have them be ammo for weather roles or have simply an infinite-use item control the weather or have no weather role but one-use items that can affect it or even a triforce-esque 'item'

Weather immediately reminded me of SMT: Persona 4, playing a crucial role in that game's plot.

On topic; a hidden weather schedule predetermined by the host sounds like a fine idea. Simplistic is probably best with Sunny, Rain, Cloudy. They could of course affect numerous things common in the mafia we know (e.g. inspection results, killing opportunities, lynching opportunities).

internet

could be combined with mansion mafia for some effects like these:

rain: a distance limit on traveling outside

mist/sand: randomizes which place you go to

hurricane: kills everyone that goes outside

As the rain fell like God had decided to take a piss after a long night of drinking, people started to amass at the voting square. Some huddled together to keep themselves warm, some stayed under whatever cover they could, some did both. All the looks were fixed on the one man deciding their fate: the Host...

Yeah, I am starting to warm up for this idea. Especially writing the updates.

MK Ultra

BOOGEYMAN
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I really like the idea of the Weather Forecaster being the Village Announcer, and it passing to whoever kills them.

internet

As the rain fell like God had decided to take a piss after a long night of drinking, people started to amass at the voting square. Some huddled together to keep themselves warm, some stayed under whatever cover they could, some did both. All the looks were fixed on the one man deciding their fate: the Host...
someone make a mafia with weather as fast as possible
I would be very glad to help

The most basic possibility, and the one I have always thought of, was the sleeping god. He would probably be a neutral, and he would have several abilities (say, sandstorm, hail, rain, sun), but only be told their names, not their powers. He HAS to use one every night to change the weather, and he can't use one twice.

My gosh this idea is awesome, I can hear the geras in my head ticking as I think of all the roles and items possible; a mad scientist who made a weather changing machine that always messes up; a tribal chieftain able to call upon the gods to bring out the sun; a plant that requires a day of sun and a day of rain to grow; so many possibilities...

Interesting ideas with weather:
-Weather impact on players ability to action
--Items to combat such weather (raincoat, sunscreen, sunglasses, rainboots, heavycoat, gloves, etc.)
-Ability abuse in one paticular weather
--Ex: Solar Panels, Fish, Sled, etc.
-Ability abuse in multiple weather conditions:
--Ex: Plants
-Ability abuse in all weather types:
--Ex: CASTFORM!!! :P

Weather immediately reminded me of SMT: Persona 4, playing a crucial role in that game's plot.

On topic; a hidden weather schedule predetermined by the host sounds like a fine idea. Simplistic is probably best with Sunny, Rain, Cloudy. They could of course affect numerous things common in the mafia we know (e.g. inspection results, killing opportunities, lynching opportunities).
1. Persona 4 is an awesome game! :D
2. Agree for initial run, predetermined order is good.

Interested in concocting a way to make this work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)